As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anything tricky I should know about buying an LCD monitor?

DigitoDigito Registered User regular
Long story short I'm looking to replace my current monitor with a shiny new flatscreen, and as far as I know of this should be a pretty simple process when it comes to finding one. But given my past luck with computer parts always involving a couple more things than I thought I figure I might as well ask, it IS as easy as "Buy monitor, plug into video card, enjoy" right?

Also! I'm open to reccomendations on any really good deals on a flatscreen/LCD, though I'm trying to keep the price down some, and due to where my monitor sits I can't go any larger than a 17 inch which I believe is the smallest kind of LCD out there. (Any larger and it uhh... basically wouldn't fit, so unless there's some tremendous awesome difference between 17 and 19 inch that's worth me trying to make it fit on my desk...)

Thanks in advance!

Digito on

• Options
    darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You can get a 22" for under $300. You know you want to :P

Do you want the monitor to be 4:3 or widescreen? (16:9 or 16:10)

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ha, nice size but there's no way I could actually make it fit on my desk. Already done the measurements, it'd have to be 17 inch or maybe, maybe 19.

Also I'm thinking I'd prefer 4:3 as that's just what I'm used to.

Digito on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    A nice 17"
    I'll look for a 19" too.

darkenedwing on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    darkenedwing on
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If I were you, I would find a way to make it fit. How large is your current monitor?

I say that because here's a 20" widescreen for the same price as the 17" linked above me. While the prices are low, you may as well spring for something a little bigger.

Edit: Damn it.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I beat'd you so hard :P
    + the 19" is better, and it might fit in his space :D

darkenedwing on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well... you know... doing the measurements with the actual physical dimensions of the 19"? It MIGHT fit. Lemme think about this for a little bit, see if I can't get creative and figure something out.

EDIT: Creativity prevails, I can JUST BARELY make the 19" linked fit, if I'm careful about it. I suppose it shouldn't be too hard to adjust to widescreen.

That said, some games I play are rather old and fullscreen only, what if a game only has 4:3 resolutions and no windowed mode? Would they still work with my monitor?

Digito on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Digito wrote: »
    Well... you know... doing the measurements with the actual physical dimensions of the 19"? It MIGHT fit. Lemme think about this for a little bit, see if I can't get creative and figure something out.

EDIT: Creativity prevails, I can JUST BARELY make the 19" linked fit, if I'm careful about it. I suppose it shouldn't be too hard to adjust to widescreen.

That said, some games I play are rather old and fullscreen only, what if a game only has 4:3 resolutions and no windowed mode? Would they still work with my monitor?

Yep. they will work. still play Starcraft on my 15" widescreen laptop monitor just fine.
    And widescreen is a world better than fullscreen for newer games :D

darkenedwing on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's pretty hard to go wrong with Dell, Samsung or LG. Make sure it has DVI though, VGA is dying a slow death.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you wait until Sunday and use an ejunkie coupon, you can get a 22" Widescreen monitor for $140 with Free Shipping from Staples.

Details are here: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=436249&t=1059973

Remember though, when you using ejunkie coupons, they expire the same day you buy them usually, so first wait until you are ready to purchase, make sure to add the item to you cart to make 100% sure it's not out of stock. Then buy the coupon and click "Apply Coupon Code" at checkout.

Edit: coupon is from cn-usa, not ejunkie, but I've used both before and they're legit. Same advice applies.

If you are hellbent on a 19" monitor though, Fry's has this one for $109 (no free shipping): http://shop2.frys.com/product/5212607

And if Mail-in-Rebates don't scare you, you can brave this Samsung 19" 933BW from here: http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=8996480&SourceID=k1971 with a $30 MIR found here: http://images10.newegg.com/uploadfilesfornewegg/rebate/SH/SAMSUNG3MIRsNov28Dec508ll97.pdf?nm_mc=AFC-SlickDeals&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Remember, 17" widescreen LCDs are REALLY small, their height is more or less equivalent to a 15" 4:3 monitor. I would say that, IMO, the minimum size for a comfortable widescreen desktop experience is 19".

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    And yet when I got my 19" widescreen monitor I was fine with it, but after getting my new 22" widescreen it absolutely dwarfs the 19" in size and I have no idea how I ever got along without it.

zanetheinsane on