Options

Scribblenauts: summon chicken hats in-game. Also IRL when you pre-order.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was thinking today that if you type in any copywrighted thing, I would love it if a lawyer appeared.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can already think of billions of stupid self-imposed challenges to try.

Solve the game alphabetically: your first word starts with A, then B, and so on.

Be Eco-friendly and solve the game with no manmade objects.

Be completely insane and attempt to solve every problem with historical figures. Summon Freud to solve the shark's problems with psychoanalysis. Summon George Washington to chop down the tree. Summon Marx to make the workers realize that what they really want is socio-economic equality, leading them to beat the crud out of the newly summoned Ayn Rand.

Presumably, these are all impossible, but who knows?

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can already think of billions of stupid self-imposed challenges to try.

Solve the game alphabetically: your first word starts with A, then B, and so on.

Be Eco-friendly and solve the game with no manmade objects.

Be completely insane and attempt to solve every problem with historical figures. Summon Freud to solve the shark's problems with psychoanalysis. Summon George Washington to chop down the tree. Summon Marx to make the workers realize that what they really want is socio-economic equality, leading them to beat the crud out of the newly summoned Ayn Rand.

Presumably, these are all impossible, but who knows?

Sir, I find your ideas intriguing and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Looks like the game already has achievement-type things in it - excellent :D

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Bursar wrote: »
    I was at this game's appearance at E3 today, and the guy working the station opened up a blank level for people to mess around in. Some things we discovered:

1) Pirates beat ninjas.
    2) Hillbillies do not willingly play the jug.
    3) The creators are internet meme-savvy.
    4) Cyborgs are inherently evil.
    5) Cthulu beats everything.

Elaborate on this.

Sorry for the delay, but I was at the show all day.

1) Pirates come with a sword. Ninjas come with a ninja star. The ninja ran out of weapons.
    2) When I wrote "jug," it asked for a specification between "jug (container)" and "jug (instrument)". I picked the latter. The Hillbilly comes with a shotgun, and there was nothing I could create that would get him to put it down. So, no jug-playing.
    3) Ceiling cat is there. And when he's placed, he always watches you.
    4) Pretty self-explanatory, I should think.
    5) Cthulu destroyed everything we could throw at him, but to be fair we didn't try God.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    All of these hands-on are getting nuts, from GAF:
    I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wondering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.
    While trying to stump 5TH Cell's Scribblenauts, it was suggested to us that we should try typing some Internet memes into the game's interface and see if they'd materialize. Our first experiment: Longcat. As it turns out, Longcat is in the game ... and he's looooooong. Equally long, but not pictured, is Longcat's nemesis Tacgnol. Seriously.

Get ready to declare your game of the show after the break. You'll forget all about Splinter Creed or whatever once you see the player character, sitting in a mech, next to a mecha, watching 5TH Cell's creative director breakdance to the musical stylings of ... Keyboard Cat.

psjwdn

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Clearly mankind has reached its zenith of progress.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    toxk_02 wrote: »
    All of these hands-on are getting nuts, from GAF:
    So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Christ. I want this game, like, yesterday. When does it come out?

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    This fall.

Hmmm....

T-I-M-E-M-A-C-H-I-N-E

Damn.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I need to stop reading this thread before I go and buy a DS for one fucking game.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Man, there are so many good games on the DS. This is like icing on cake.

I'm sure someone else can think of a better analogy.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I need to stop reading this thread before I go and buy a DS for one fucking game.
    By the time Scribblenauts is released, it may be my 30th DS game. I don't think your one game would be lonely for long.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    An encouraging anecdote: when I asked the E3 rep about a release date, he didn't tell me "Fall", he told me "September".
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    By the time Scribblenauts is released, it may be my 30th DS game. I don't think your one game would be lonely for long.

I have more games for my DS than any other system I own.

You could do far worse than to buy a DS.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited June 2009

That's encouraging. I can play Batman at home, and Scribblenauts at work!

MegaMek on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I can't wait to see what happens if I write "antimatter" or "big bang"

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If I give myself a calculator, can I divide by 0?

MegaMek on
  • Options
    GrombarGrombar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I checked the game out at E3 today, and I love it already.

One guy approached a puzzle where there were four cops, one of which was an impostor. He solved the puzzle by summoning a space shuttle and ramming it into one of the cops, who happened to be the impostor.

Another guy put in the words "Dragon," "Panther," "Centaur," and "Unicorn," then watched them all fight. The dragon won.

One guy put in "Gargoyle" on a whim, only to have an angry gargoyle appear and attack him. He said, "Um, uh... SPEAR!" A spear appeared in his hands, which he then used to smash the gargoyle.

From what I can tell, the game's the closest thing there is to a real god sim, and I can't wait to play around with it.

Grombar on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    According to the video, the game tracks all your solutions, so you can try to solve the puzzles with as many unique word combination as possible. I look forward to that.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You know what, this is a must buy for me when it comes out. I havent gotten a game for my DS in forever.. Do you guys have any suggestions on DS games that would be good for me to get? The last actual game I played was Pokemon Diamond. I have one of the Brain Age games but that's more of a quick time killer.

So anything else that you would recommend?

remlap13 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    you know what this game reminds me of? I know I'm not the only one here who grew up loving it.

haroldpurple.jpeg

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm going to make a long list short and recommend Lock's Quest. Solid, cheap game that's by the same developer as Scribblenauts!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Coke + mints = explosion maybe?

gunpowder + C02 cartridge = big explosion?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm going to make a long list short and recommend Lock's Quest. Solid, cheap game that's by the same developer as Scribblenauts!

I've heard some other people get pretty high on that one.. I'll have to check out some reviews

remlap13 on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really hope they know what they're doing and get the marketing right for this one. The mass appeal has the potential to be huge.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just saw the Co-op segment on this game.

Holy shit

We'll finally be able to see whether or not Cthulhu can kick Jehova's ass.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    remlap13 wrote: »
    You know what, this is a must buy for me when it comes out. I havent gotten a game for my DS in forever.. Do you guys have any suggestions on DS games that would be good for me to get? The last actual game I played was Pokemon Diamond. I have one of the Brain Age games but that's more of a quick time killer.

It's difficult actually, there are so many. New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is one of my favorites in the series, it's quite addictive. Everyone here says The World Ends with You is the best RPG on the DS. There's also Dragon Quest 4/5 and Final Fantasy 3/4. Both Crystal Chronicles games are a lot of fun, they play like Diablo mixed with Kingdom Hearts. I've had a lot of fun with Worms Open Warfare 2. Metal Slug 7 is awesome as well, as is Contra 4.

If you get a DSi (I recommend it!) there's Dr. Mario, Aquia and Pictobits to buy on DSiware, and the animation studio program coming up which looks amazing.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This game needs more hype.

It also needs more videos of it, as I've only seen two of people on the game floor, so far.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This game may actually cause me to read a dictionary, looking for cool ideas.

I wonder if anybody's tried armpit or earlobe. Just an earlobe, flopping around on the ground.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Grombar wrote: »
    One guy approached a puzzle where there were four cops, one of which was an impostor. He solved the puzzle by summoning a space shuttle and ramming it into one of the cops, who happened to be the impostor.

This made me laugh hard.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This game reminds me of the game that Morpheus plays against the demon who has his mask in Sandman. And that could be awesome as a vs mode.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »
    This game reminds me of the game that Morpheus plays against the demon who has his mask in Sandman. And that could be awesome as a vs mode.
    A sort of Merlin and the Witch?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    A sort of Merlin and the Witch?

Yeah, pretty much. I can't wait.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009

It's difficult actually, there are so many. New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is one of my favorites in the series, it's quite addictive. Everyone here says The World Ends with You is the best RPG on the DS. There's also Dragon Quest 4/5 and Final Fantasy 3/4. Both Crystal Chronicles games are a lot of fun, they play like Diablo mixed with Kingdom Hearts. I've had a lot of fun with Worms Open Warfare 2. Metal Slug 7 is awesome as well, as is Contra 4.

If you get a DSi (I recommend it!) there's Dr. Mario, Aquia and Pictobits to buy on DSiware, and the animation studio program coming up which looks amazing.

Well I've already got a Lite so I don't think I'll get another whole "console". I am looking for something SP primarily.. Maybe The World Ends.. Are there any Zelda games that are worthwhile on this thing?

remlap13 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Well I've already got a Lite so I don't think I'll get another whole "console". I am looking for something SP primarily.. Maybe The World Ends.. Are there any Zelda games that are worthwhile on this thing?

TWEWY is fairly incredible, I definitely recommend it. I personally also really enjoyed Phantom Hourglass, but a few people were bothered about a few things in it. And yeah, if you have a Lite, I honestly wouldn't bother get a DSi (yet).

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

TWEWY is fairly incredible, I definitely recommend it. I personally also really enjoyed Phantom Hourglass, but a few people were bothered about a few things in it. And yeah, if you have a Lite, I honestly wouldn't bother get a DSi (yet).

Well I'm leaving for a trip tomorrow so maybe I'll pick that thing up.. 6 hours of airport time there and 8 back haha

remlap13 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Well I'm leaving for a trip tomorrow so maybe I'll pick that thing up.. 6 hours of airport time there and 8 back haha[/QUOTE]

Bring headphones, because the music is quite awesome.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Well I'm leaving for a trip tomorrow so maybe I'll pick that thing up.. 6 hours of airport time there and 8 back haha

Bring headphones, because the music is quite awesome.[/QUOTE]

Yes thats what I've heard. I'm leaning between that, New Super Mario Bros, and Professor Layton's.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Professor Layton is fantastic as well. I'm not sure New Super Mario Bros will last you 14 hours, however, whereas TWEWY definitely will, and with Layton it just depends on how good you are at the puzzles (though I would recommend downloading the DLC puzzles).

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yes thats what I've heard. I'm leaning between that, New Super Mario Bros, and Professor Layton's.

All excellent. You can't go wrong.

Of those, I personally prefer TWEWY, and would put Professor Layton just below that. NSMB is still good, though, and you at least know what you are in for.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

All excellent. You can't go wrong.

Of those, I personally prefer TWEWY, and would put Professor Layton just below that. NSMB is still good, though, and you at least know what you are in for.

Alright.

Sorry for the hijacking of this thread.. Let's get back to Scribblenauts..

I want to see Cobra vs Mongoose

remlap13 on