Blade Runner - It sucks... give it another chance?

• tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Blade Runner is one of those movies I always wanted to like more. The cinematography is well done, art direction, effects and the overall feel of the film are amazing. Every time I've seen it though I always think that it's so boring - the pacing is just off for me.

Some movie just aren't fast paced, they aren't supposed to be but it turns a lot of people off.

See: Vertigo, Lawrence of Arabia, Blade Runner, etc.

edit: The Final cut utilizes CGI like it should be done, for minor effects improvement and to fix continuity errors.

tofu on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    Blade Runner is one of those movies I always wanted to like more. The cinematography is well done, art direction, effects and the overall feel of the film are amazing. Every time I've seen it though I always think that it's so boring - the pacing is just off for me.

Some movie just aren't fast paced, they aren't supposed to be but it turns a lot of people off.

edit: The Final cut utilizes CGI like it should be done, for minor effects improvement and to fix continuity errors.

Blade Runner is fast-paced in some scenes, though. And some of the scenes that are "slow" aren't really just slow, but meandering and a little pointless, like the scene where Pris and Sebastian meet.

It really never achieves a rhythm. Other filmmakers (and other Ridley Scott movies) can interchange fast and slow scenes and never leave you feeling like the movie has hit a speed bump, but Blade Runner not only hits a speed bump, but occasionally pulls over and parks the damn car to do some roadside origami.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • riposte101riposte101 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Blade Runner is one of those movies I didn't get at first either. I watched it a few more times because I did a report on it in high school and watched it a few more times after that. It really started to grow on me and it has become one of my favorite films.

riposte101 on
  • mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You should never, ever buy movies without seeing them first.

Unless they cost less than it would be to rent them, I guess.

I bought this on blu-ray, on a whim. Never seen it before. Absolutely fucking loved it.

I can see how people don't though. Pacing etc...

Then again, one of my favorite movies is lost in translation.

mooshoepork on
  • JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Feral wrote: »

Blade Runner is fast-paced in some scenes, though. And some of the scenes that are "slow" aren't really just slow, but meandering and a little pointless, like the scene where Pris and Sebastian meet.

It really never achieves a rhythm. Other filmmakers (and other Ridley Scott movies) can interchange fast and slow scenes and never leave you feeling like the movie has hit a speed bump, but Blade Runner not only hits a speed bump, but occasionally pulls over and parks the damn car to do some roadside origami.

Bah. There's nothing wrong with the pacing of Blade Runner. It has a very deliberate pace, much like Apocalypse Now. People have simply been conditioned to want faster paced movies with each generation and the majority are unable to learn to appreciate movies from generations past.

JWFokker on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I agree.

I think what I like best about it is that it doesn't look dated at all. They could release it today and it would hold up.

Also the fact that everyone in the film is morally ambiguous.

Now, I read this thread, and no one yet seems to have gotten the different cuts right. Here's how it is, on the bigass DVD set with all the cuts (which is totally awesome):

Theatrical: a shorter film, cutting the subtleties out, it contains film noir style narrative to carry the plot, and has a studio-mandated happy ending.

European: Same, only with a bit more blood and violence.

Director's cut: Not actually done by Ridley Scott. Removes the voiceovers, restores the original ambiguous ending, makes the thing longer to include all the subtleties, including the whole "is he a replicant?" subplot. Missing the European violence. Also contains some unfinished effects and continuity problems due to it not being done by the director.

Final Cut: The real director's cut. Takes the "Director's cut," and tightens the pacing, also adds in the european violence. More importantly, uses a liiiitle bit of CGI and line redubbing (it's all invisible, trust me, no Star Wars recuts here) to finish the effects and patch all the continuity problems. The best of the four, basically.

Don't forget the workprint

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    JWFokker wrote: »

Bah. There's nothing wrong with the pacing of Blade Runner. It has a very deliberate pace, much like Apocalypse Now. People have simply been conditioned to want faster paced movies with each generation and the majority are unable to learn to appreciate movies from generations past.

The pacing really is frenetic and uneven. I've never had a problem watching it for whatever reason, but it's certainly a valid criticism.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

The pacing really is frenetic and uneven. I've never had a problem watching it for whatever reason, but it's certainly a valid criticism.

I have to agree, and it is about the only problem I have with Blade Runner. I still love the film, but it isn't one that I can just sit and watch on a whim, I have to prepare for it and plan ahead to get my headspace ready for watching and enjoying it.

The last scene between Roy and Deckard is fucking brilliant though, and is my all time favorite Rutger Hauer moment.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like Blade Runner for the atmosphere. I don't particularly like any of the characters or the plot and I would almost call it boring, but thanks to the art direction and the solid acting I really enjoy watching the movie slowly unfold.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

If you say so.

Sorry I didn't reply to this earlier. I was watching 2001.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There's a lot to like. It's an intelligent sci-fi film with great visuals and art design. But it moves at the pace of a stunned snail, and I find it impossible to watch without falling asleep at least once.

And I have no problem with slow, contemplative films. It's just, for long stretches, this one doesn't seem to be going anywhere. It's a very important sci-fi film, but not an easy one to watch.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I view this as sort of the "you had to be there" syndrome.

As I understand it Blade Runner was basically the foundation for the creation/modern view of Cyber Punk. As someone who had played a few Shadowrun campaigns before seeing it though it struck me as an 80s movie in a Cyber Punk setting. Not that that's a bad thing, but it wasn't exactly mindblowing. To me it was just a decent movie that hadn't aged well.

It's like the Beatles. I like most of thier stuff a lot and I have respect for their influence in the music world but when I hear my parents/older cousins talking about them it's hard not to shake my head.

HappylilElf on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

As I understand it Blade Runner was basically the foundation for the creation/modern view of Cyber Punk. As someone who had played a few Shadowrun campaigns before seeing it though it struck me as an 80s movie in a Cyber Punk setting. Not that that's a bad thing, but it wasn't exactly mindblowing. To me it was just a decent movie that hadn't aged well.

It's like the Beatles. I like most of thier stuff a lot and I have respect for their influence in the music world but when I hear my parents/older cousins talking about them it's hard not to shake my head.

D:

I don't think I've read so much wrong in one post in a long time. The Beatles and Blade Runner, man. What's next? Shakespeare?

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Read the book. If I would have saw the movie (Final Cut) before reading the book, I would have been completely lost. The book makes the movie better, IMO.

Eh, I'd have to disagree here. The book is fantastic, the movie is fantastic, and they might as well be unrelated for all they have to do with each other.

Funnily enough the adventure game combines the best parts of the book and the movie, which shouldn't really go together, and does it perfectly. Amazing game.

Have to agree on both points. I really enjoyed the book it was "based" on, but the film really is its own separate entity and should be considered as such. Really that's the case with almost all of Phillip K Dick's books and the film renditions of them. Speaking of which, can anyone tell me if "A Scanner Darkly" is any good?

The Blade Runner game managed a pretty impressive feat of keeping the themes of the movie whilst expanding on the universe, and taking elements from the book as well. Unlike a lot of film-to-game conversions, the people behind the game actually seemed to have watched the film and liked it. They built something that had an understanding of what the world was like, what cues the fans would expect to see, and still managed to put a fresh take on one or two angles.

subedii on
    edited December 2008
    It's important to note as well that the Blade Runner game came out 15 years after the movie and was very clearly a game that they wanted to make, not one that they had to make as a movie tie-in. It's one of the few non-Lucas point-and-clicks from that era that I can continually play over and over again.

Wonder_Hippie on
    edited December 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Speaking of which, can anyone tell me if "A Scanner Darkly" is any good?

I liked it. I don't think it quite captured the confusion and paranoia of the book, though - and I'm not sure that any movie really could.

Feral on

• CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I really liked the Scanner Darkly movie. It has some fantastic acting (Keanu's best, probably), and it looks great. I didn't read the book, though.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited December 2008
    Keanu was good in ASD because instead of playing that flat, lifeless character he always does, he was very literally animated.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Blade Runner remains one of my favorite films ever. The setting and atmosphere were simply stunning, and remains superior to most films that have come out since. The humanity of the characters (both human and not) was enticing, the acting superb, and I enjoyed the very stark pace of the film. It impresses me even today.

That said, there has been so much cyberpunk/android type genre fiction (in print, film, anime, so forth) that I feel its pacing and influence may not register with all younger viewers.

And of course, as has been said before...not all films are for everyone, no matter how much critical acclaim they've gathered.

autothrall on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, I can see how BR could be of the black licorice variety when it comes to movies.

And I was about to come in here and say "man shut up!"

Meiz on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There's a lot to like. It's an intelligent sci-fi film with great visuals and art design. But it moves at the pace of a stunned snail, and I find it impossible to watch without falling asleep at least once.

And I have no problem with slow, contemplative films. It's just, for long stretches, this one doesn't seem to be going anywhere. It's a very important sci-fi film, but not an easy one to watch.

This reminds me of the time I tried to get four of my then-fifteen-year-old friends to sit down and watch Tarkovsky's Solaris.

Boy did that not last long.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
    edited December 2008
    For all of you BR fans, I have to absolutely recommend getting in on blu-ray. It's like watching a whole new movie. The opening shot, with the reflection in the eye, literally made my jaw drop. I had that "wow" moment like I was watching it opening night in a theater, despite the fact that it was made before I was born.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Every time I watch blade runner, it just reminds me about that poor fucking bird.

He just grabs it and run around with it for 5 minutes.

wakkawa on
  • WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Finally watched this (Final Cut version I think) for the first time a few months ago.

Didn't really care for it...I mean, not much really happened in the movie. There didn't even seem to be much in the way of Ford questioning whether he was a replicant, which might have made it more interesting.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
    edited December 2008
    OremLK wrote: »

D:

I don't think I've read so much wrong in one post in a long time. The Beatles and Blade Runner, man. What's next? Shakespeare?

Seriously. I'm of the opinion that Blade Runner has aged better than pretty much any other sci-fi film with the possible exception of the original Star Wars trilogy (though SW did have a lot of 70's hair and rubber masks).

I don't think there has been a sci-fi or fantasy movie made with more convincingly realistic sets, props and miniatures than Blade Runner either (well...maybe Alien and Aliens). Movies just haven't been the same since CG effects were developed.

JWFokker on
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I really liked the Scanner Darkly movie. It has some fantastic acting (Keanu's best, probably), and it looks great. I didn't read the book, though.

Robert Downey Jr. is amazing in A Scanner Darkly, as well. And Woody Harrelson is a riot.

Seems like the most faithful PKD film adaptation to date, and it's not suprising, since his daughters were heavily involved.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2008
    For all of you BR fans, I have to absolutely recommend getting in on blu-ray. It's like watching a whole new movie. The opening shot, with the reflection in the eye, literally made my jaw drop. I had that "wow" moment like I was watching it opening night in a theater, despite the fact that it was made before I was born.

Yes, this.

Fan-fucking-tastic.

Also, I should note that I saw this film in high school and didn't get it. It was just... fine.

I saw it a decade later and loved it. At the risk of sounding hoity-toity, it helps if you're a film aficionado, because the film is most successful in subtle ways. The art direction, the nuanced acting, the cinematography - all these things make the film great, above and beyond the simple story.

I think that while it is pretty objectively a very good or great film, it still isn't for everyone. Though anyone should at least appreciate what the film accomplished.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited December 2008

D:

Excellent example, thanks. That reaction right there is why it's hard not to shake my head. :P

HappylilElf on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2008

D:

Excellent example, thanks. That reaction right there is why it's hard not to shake my head. :P

Well, those are all examples of people or things that were clearly bad-ass in their respective fields, that everyone should respect for their achievements even if they don't care for the works.

So yeah.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited December 2008
    Which is my point. It's possible to recognize that something was revolutionary and highly influential and still not find it to be the best thing ever.

HappylilElf on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Which is my point. It's possible to recognize that something was revolutionary and highly influential and still not find it to be the best thing ever.

I know, I was just giving you a hard time.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nissl wrote: »
    I have fallen asleep trying to watch Blade Runner 4 times now.
    I think I fell asleep the first time I watched it but I'm not sure

Just rewatched it a few weeks back, the final cut, it was ok.

deadonthestreet on
  • Delicious SteveDelicious Steve Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I absolutely hated Goodfellas, and i only watched it because it was on a list of top 20 movies of all time i didn't resonate with any characters, i didn't think any of the events within the movie were cool, or entertaining in the least. I watched that movie thinking why did he just kill that person? every 5 minutes, the drug addict ending was similar, but instead i was thinking why am i still watching this garbage?

Also i found the original Godfather to be much better than the 2nd one, i'm no action movie fan, but i love the part in films where THINGS HAPPEN, rather than oh here's a cut of what happened ages ago, it explains nothing about the current storyline, in short the movie felt extremely drawn out for what was a prequel/epilogue to the first.

See? i didn't like those movies, whilst i have heard on the grapevine that they are rather popular.

You didn't like BladeRunner, but that's okay, if you didn't like it with extra scenes, you'll probably only like the edited version for not torturing you as long.

Also, Ford dubbed over his lines? could've fooled me. And the whole unicorn part was completely lost on me, i thought it was k other than the weird unicorn part.

My friend complained Bladerunner was a very slow movie, so i suggested he watch 2001: A Space Odyssey :winky:

Delicious Steve on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't really like Goodfellas either.

Godfather two is very much about Michael's father and Michael as a father so yeah, some less happens plot wise... but really a lot goes on. My favorite part of the whole trilogy is when DeNiro kills the guy in the hallway.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Chalk me down as someone who liked the first Godfather better as well. I was actually kind of disappointed in the second movie; I still don't think it's anywhere near as good.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Loved Blade Runner. Excellent movie that has survived the test of time. Even watching it now it's great fun.

WMain00 on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Also, I should note that I saw this film in high school and didn't get it. It was just... fine.

I saw it a decade later and loved it. At the risk of sounding hoity-toity, it helps if you're a film aficionado, because the film is most successful in subtle ways. The art direction, the nuanced acting, the cinematography - all these things make the film great, above and beyond the simple story.

That's pretty much what happened with me too. I saw it several times as a kid and thought it was gorgeous but tended to fall asleep (except during the final act). I grew to respect it as a film, but it wasn't until I saw the Final Cut in a theater this spring that I unreservedly loved it for the very first time. (That's something that I don't think people have mentioned yet: a lot of movies really do lose some of their impact on a small screen, reducing a transcendent experience to a :| .)

Anyway, I think the lesson for the OP to take away from all this is that while it's certainly okay to be out of step with the crowd, to not to like a work of art that gets a lot of respect, time tends to filter out all but the very best stuff, and if something has survived and remained relevant for decades then there's probably something there, and it's worthwhile to try revisiting that work at a different stage of life, or with more caffeine, or whatever and see if he doesn't get more out of it the second time around.

Jacobkosh on
    edited December 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Anyway, I think the lesson for the OP to take away from all this is that while it's certainly okay to be out of step with the crowd, to not to like a work of art that gets a lot of respect, time tends to filter out all but the very best stuff, and if something has survived and remained relevant for decades then there's probably something there, and it's worthwhile to try revisiting that work at a different stage of life, or with more caffeine, or whatever and see if he doesn't get more out of it the second time around.

The exception to this is Casablanca, which is the most overrated movie ever, and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong and should feel dumb.

ElJeffe on
    edited December 2008
    I absolutely hated Goodfellas, and i only watched it because it was on a list of top 20 movies of all time i didn't resonate with any characters, i didn't think any of the events within the movie were cool, or entertaining in the least. I watched that movie thinking why did he just kill that person? every 5 minutes, the drug addict ending was similar, but instead i was thinking why am i still watching this garbage?

Also i found the original Godfather to be much better than the 2nd one, i'm no action movie fan, but i love the part in films where THINGS HAPPEN, rather than oh here's a cut of what happened ages ago, it explains nothing about the current storyline, in short the movie felt extremely drawn out for what was a prequel/epilogue to the first.

See? i didn't like those movies, whilst i have heard on the grapevine that they are rather popular.

You didn't like BladeRunner, but that's okay, if you didn't like it with extra scenes, you'll probably only like the edited version for not torturing you as long.

Also, Ford dubbed over his lines? could've fooled me. And the whole unicorn part was completely lost on me, i thought it was k other than the weird unicorn part.

My friend complained Bladerunner was a very slow movie, so i suggested he watch 2001: A Space Odyssey :winky:

I'm with you on Goodfellas and the Godfather movies. I think they're only rated so highly because of the actors in them and the fact that America seems to have an obsession with Mafia related shit.

Also, to clarify, Harrison Ford didn't dub over his lines, he actually had to provide a narrative voiceover track to explain shit as it happened in the movie at the request of the studio because test audiences were too confused. It sounds like you didn't see the original theatrical cut with the narration.

JWFokker on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    jacobkosh wrote: »

The exception to this is Casablanca, which is the most overrated movie ever, and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong and should feel dumb.

oh hello there

this is a poop

would you mind eating it

Casablanca is a movie that everyone says is good, and you just kind of nod because you haven't seen it, and then you watch it for yourself and realize that everyone was right.

Quoth on