As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to connect Blu Ray player to WiFi

Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS!I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm getting a Sony BDP-S350 Blu Ray player after Christmas, and found that it has an ethernet port for firmware updates and BD live stuff. I'd like to take advantage of this, but my house has wireless internet and the player will be upstairs from the router. Is there anyway that I can connect it to my WiFi network? The guy at Circuit City said that I would have to go downstairs and connect it, but he didn't seem to know much.

Niceguyeddie616 on

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    you'd have to buy another wireless router and use it as a bridge, i imagine

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Buffalo makes a device, it's about 50 bucks, called an "Ethernet Converter", it's actually a wireless bridge, a device designed specifically to do what you're trying to do....

Alternatively you could look into the Ethernet over Power lines stuff, people who don't live in an area prone to lightning strikes (So, anyone outside of Florida), swear by them doing awesome stuff...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    bsjezz wrote: »
    you'd have to buy another wireless router and use it as a bridge, i imagine
    Yea most routers can have custom firmware placed on them to do some amazing things.
    You could just drop some cash on a bridge, but this way you solve your problem and have another router sitting around, and more ports in case you want to hook something else wired to the internet in that same room.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sounds cool, I have some money still left over I guess, but how do I turn a wireless router into a wireless bridge? and could someone explain ethernet over power lines to me?

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    ElPresPufferfishElPresPufferfish Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you're mostly concerned with firmware updates, you can probably download and burn them to a CD, or order a CD from Sony. That's how I update my BDP-S300.

ElPresPufferfish on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sounds cool, I have some money still left over I guess, but how do I turn a wireless router into a wireless bridge? and could someone explain ethernet over power lines to me?

You buy a router that supports custom firmware (for your purposes, I think even the Linksys WRT54G or similar will work...but the WRT54GL is recommended). Flash said firmware. Then follow instructions on firmware's FAQ to set it up as a bridge.

You can pick up a WRT54GL for like $45 if you shop around a bit, should do just fine for you.

Alternately something like this would probably be more than decent, and if you shop around a bit you can probably get it for a smidge cheaper as well. But really I recommend a router-as-bridge setup, as it provides more functionality and long-term use for very little more money.

EDIT: Note that there are many devices similar to the linked 802.11b "gaming adapter" (which is basically a bridge) available that are newer, or run 802.11g. But that devices has all the functionality you need for your purposes, for substantially less.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ethernet over power lines is pretty much exactly what it sounds like. You plug an ethernet bridge into your wall at each end, and it uses the existing power lines to communicate. It's something that sort of either works or doesn't (works better on simple homes, like apartments or something, if you try it with a section of a home that was added after the initial construction, depending on how the power was done, it might not work). For full benefit, you pretty much have to plug directly into the wall, surge protectors and the like can end up filtering out your network. Also, some household devices can interfere with them (touch lamps are one that springs immediately to mind). When I used them temporarily, they generally worked decently, but any high-traffic things (torrents, for example), would end up locking them up.

capnrico on
  • Options
    vinaykagarwalvinaykagarwal Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    To wirelessly connect a Blu-ray player to Internet, you need a device that may be called by many names including wireless bridge, wireless gaming adapter, wireless access point, and AP client. Even their prices vary all over since it is hard to compare. Here is a page that lists all the Blu-ray wireless connection options available and their pricing.

vinaykagarwal on