As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Date Ideas: Throw them out there.

The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm casting a wide net, but I figured what the hell, this is worth a shot. Just throw out some random ideas for dates. Specifics: Male dating female, college students, early 20's, kind of geeky and odd. But just chuck out whatever comes to mind.

The Last Gent on

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    -Go kart racing
    -Ice skating
    -Whale watching

My girlfriend was completely surprised by all of these and we proceeded to have romantic-comedy-like adventures.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hah, I already did the ice skating, yes there was some sitcom-esque moments. I like those two, though. Dunno if I can realistically arrange whale watching but the Go Karting might be possible...keep going guys!

The Last Gent on
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    -Watching a sunset on a beach
    -Disney (Wide net and not knowing where you live...)
    -Movies
    -Salesman teasing, not much of a date, but if done right quite enertaining....
    -Museums (Especially if there are technology museums since you asked for geeky)
    -People watching somewhere with lots of people, like a food court. (Goes good with movies)
    -Goin' for a drive and just talkin' to each other, not necessarily going somewhere in particular, just get out there
    -Romantic spot nearby (For example, in Florida we have Bok Tower, highest point in Florida, and it's gardens)
    -Zoo (Though some women may not like the smell of crap)

Honestly, I played the disney card fairly frequently with my wife since we live here, and they offered this Epocot after 4pm pass, which lets you get into the park after 4pm till they close, which we upgraded to Florida Resident passes about two months later... Lots of fun there...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    ChungwaChungwa Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Please explain more about this salesman teasing... I am curious!

Chungwa on
  • Options
    Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    I live near Stratford so I'm a wee bit biased, but girls love going to plays. Walk around the art centre in your area, go to a cafe, watch a play and have fun.

Phil G. on
  • Options
    Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bookstore dates are fun. Walking around and looking at books provides lots of opportunity for conversation, and most bookstores have small cafes where you can get coffee/tea/whatever.

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You gotta say where you live to get the really peculiar and specific suggestions.

Anyway, my off the wall suggestion is ghost hunting. Walk around talking at a place that's supposed to be haunted.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you have a decent art museum around then I highly recommend going there.

They're usually empty and quiet during the weekdays, have a coffee shop, and it provides plenty of talking points.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Chungwa wrote: »

Salesman teasing is where you go into a store like Best Buy or CCity, or anywhere that has salesman who are pushed to sell accessories, warranties, whatever as long as they're actual salesman, not some cashier...

Anyways, you start talking to them about various products and go through the entire sales pitch with them, agreeing or disgreeing as you see fit, and at the very end when you agree on everything you want/need you say something to the effect of "Hang on, let me go get my wallet", go out to your car, and leave. Or you can ask if they think you can strap it to the roof of your car, and so on and so forth...

The "date" aspect of this would be if the girl can play along like, "Oh honey, we that's way below what we can afford, how about this one?" starring at a TV much larger/expensive.

Yes this is technically cruel as you've gotten his hopes up, wasted his time, probably left him with a bunch of product to put up, but hey you leave with a few good laughs..

Alternatively, I teased salesmen in a less direct approach one time, I went to a Future Shop in Canada with my watch, that at the time had a built in TV Remote, and I memorized various settings for various TV brand names and went casually strolling through the TV department with my arms behind my back just turning the TVs off as I walked by... By the time I considered myself done, I noticed a few salesmen pulling TVs from the wall and checking the wiring and such... Felt a little bad, but I had a good laugh...

Yes I'm cruel, but damn there's been some good times teasing salesmen...

-Scenic places are also good for dates, taken my wife to Niagara Falls once, that place was nice and had dones of stuff to do... It's like a romantic getaway...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Nothing to add, just keep it coming, some of this I'd never even thought of....

The Last Gent on
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's almost always fun and delicious and economical to cook a meal together.
    blue dot

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hike/Picnic

Arcade!

Cooking lessons

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    sabyul wrote: »
    It's almost always fun and delicious and economical to cook a meal together.
    blue dot

This is actually fantastic. Spend time going to the grocery store, grab a cooking book there and look through it, decide on something, go shopping for the ingredients, go home, cook it, ???, profit.

edit: if you can go to the biggest store you can find and it gives you more time to walk around talking, making jokes about things/people in the store (if you can pull off this kind of conversation while sounding funny and not like a jerk), it's a good timesink and makes the date longer too. Make sure you can keep him/her entertained though.

Topia on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Destination dates can be fun, assuming they're possible, Hershey, PA where the chocolate gets made, I took my wife to the Hershey factory in Smith Falls, Ontario, Canada, had a blast there, but Hershey, PA is more fun because the whole town is chocolatified... Always wanted to go, but have yet to get our shit together, plus I don't think she wants to go... :(

Sunsets are the best though, very memorable with the right gal..

Nakatomi2010 on
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
  • Options
    Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't know if torturing people at work is really the best way to let a girl get to know you, unless you're both sadists.

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Here's some more I'm planning to whip out soon:

Free yoga clinic
    Ballroom / swing dancing lessons

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sunsets are the best though, very memorable with the right gal..

I really like this kinda idea, but I think unless you know the girl really well it's better as a second date. You can use the first to find out if she's the romantic type who would be into this sort of thing.

One thing I did one was, to give you an idea, after supper late one night we went for a walk through a dark, mostly unlit park and I had blankets and candles waiting for me in the clearing, and we just watched the stars (Perseid Meteor Shower in August last year), because she loved that sort of thing.

Topia on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I did the park thing on my wife and I's first date, we walked around a lake at night... Being in Florida it was not an entirely wise idea as our trip around the lake discovered some odd sounds which freaked us out thinking they were alligators, which all ended with us sitting in a plaything and sure enough from there we watched the alligators in the lake, and some man shouting at us from the parking lot, being slightly freaked out we stayed put, only to finally figure out he was trying to tell us he was locking the gate to the parking lot, in a rush I pushed myself down the slide, apparently elbowing my wife in the arm causing a MASSIVe bruise to appear...

Never forget that date...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    coffee
    movies
    supper
    art gallery
    museum (science, etc)
    picnics (uh, not during winter normally though)
    rock climbing
    walks in the park

ihmmy on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You could also volunteer at an animal shelter or something.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    First Idea: Tell her you want to take her to one of the nicest, most unknown restaurants in town, and to meet you at your place. Cook dinner for her. When she shows up, offer to drive, get in the car, go around the block, park in your driveway again, and announce you've arrived. Underwear liquefaction.

Second Idea: Get a Wii.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    RallyGirl76RallyGirl76 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    One of the nicest dates I have been taken on was small hike to a look out where a candlelight dinner and music awaited us, lovely food, nice drinks, great view and good conversation/laughs. It was a perfect summer night activity...left me wanting more at the time.

Also I had a website made for me once, that was romantic, it was a gift for a 3rd anniversary and was given to me after a very romatic night at the theartre.

other nice things are:
    -Movies
    -Dinners
    -Galleries
    -Quirky cafes
    -Brunch with each others friends
    -Watching sunsets or sunrises on the beach
    -Walks (an ex of mine suggest a dog walking thing, we both didn't have a pet and missed it.)

Anywhere you and her can get away from the normal day to day and just be together alone is a lovely date!

RallyGirl76 on
    Shoes are better than sex...almost!
    "So alternate, against the grain, anti establishment - so you're just a regular joe again, right?"
  • Options
    Project MayhemProject Mayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Chungwa wrote: »

Salesman teasing is where you go into a store like Best Buy or CCity, or anywhere that has salesman who are pushed to sell accessories, warranties, whatever as long as they're actual salesman, not some cashier...

Anyways, you start talking to them about various products and go through the entire sales pitch with them, agreeing or disgreeing as you see fit, and at the very end when you agree on everything you want/need you say something to the effect of "Hang on, let me go get my wallet", go out to your car, and leave. Or you can ask if they think you can strap it to the roof of your car, and so on and so forth...

The "date" aspect of this would be if the girl can play along like, "Oh honey, we that's way below what we can afford, how about this one?" starring at a TV much larger/expensive.

Yes this is technically cruel as you've gotten his hopes up, wasted his time, probably left him with a bunch of product to put up, but hey you leave with a few good laughs..

Alternatively, I teased salesmen in a less direct approach one time, I went to a Future Shop in Canada with my watch, that at the time had a built in TV Remote, and I memorized various settings for various TV brand names and went casually strolling through the TV department with my arms behind my back just turning the TVs off as I walked by... By the time I considered myself done, I noticed a few salesmen pulling TVs from the wall and checking the wiring and such... Felt a little bad, but I had a good laugh...

Yes I'm cruel, but damn there's been some good times teasing salesmen...

-Scenic places are also good for dates, taken my wife to Niagara Falls once, that place was nice and had dones of stuff to do... It's like a romantic getaway...

I wish you death.

Project Mayhem on
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    First Idea: Tell her you want to take her to one of the nicest, most unknown restaurants in town, and to meet you at your place. Cook dinner for her. When she shows up, offer to drive, get in the car, go around the block, park in your driveway again, and announce you've arrived. Underwear liquefaction.

This is pretty good minus the driving around the block. Instead you should just ask her to come in for a second, take her to the table with everything ready and some candles, this way it would be more of a surprise and less corny.

variant on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

When you are done you can go to a local orphanage and try to adopt a young child who lost his parents. When you are about to sign the papers, hope brimming in the young child's eyes, you yell 'PSYCH!' and run out.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    VirgoSineNomineVirgoSineNomine Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DragonPup wrote: »

When you are done you can go to a local orphanage and try to adopt a young child who lost his parents. When you are about to sign the papers, hope brimming in the young child's eyes, you yell 'PSYCH!' and run out.

My. Hero. I suddenly have an urge to have your babies. ...then quickly give them up for adoption because kids scare me. And for the irony.

Date ideas. My dates have never been conventional. Here are a few things I've been known to spring on someone.

-Walk around the city at midnight just to get the 'flip side' and talk to cool, possibly intoxicated people.
    -Fishing/being lazy in a fun location while /looking/ like you're doing something productive.
    -Painting a room. (clothing optional) I did that one a month ago. Great success.
    -Random, quirky block garage sale/cart vendor/farmer's market scouting.
    -Used book store (I saw book store up there. Used ones are fun, too.)
    -Around various harvest times and areas, going berry/fruit picking or herb harvesting. Some places around my home town had some great places for that.
    -Random hiking or lallygagging around a state park/nature center.
    -Something hilariously childish and silly like a Paint your Pottery kind of place.
    -Flip open a phone book in the restaurant menu section. Flip and jam your finger down. Go there.
    -Bringing a bunch of nostalgic childhood cartoons/movies and realizing how /horribly/ /awesome/ they really are.

I also have had some interesting drinking game ideas.

VirgoSineNomine on
    I promise, I get less obnoxious with a full night's sleep. Bear with me. You'll know when it happens.
    VirgoSineNomine.gif CrossroadsMUSH - Shock and Alarm.
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I would advise against being a dick as a date.

Movies, bowling, If you have a nice local park just a good walk isn't that bad.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Go to a local sporting event.
    Theater
    If you have pets something as simple as walking a dog together.
    Concert
    Go to a winery and go wine tasting
    Microbreweries are always fun

Katholic on
  • Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Brilliant.

Also, I think someone mentioned dancing...if you can find somewhere that does drop-in dance lessons, I really think that would impress a girl. Even if you're positively horrible at dancing, just going out and laughing at yourself will show her that you're confident/willing to try new things.

Lail on
  • Options
    Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    On our first date my now bf took me on a picnic. Then he told me the theme of the date was "we are 5 years old" and proceeded to take out lunchables, little debbie snack cakes, and juice boxes. We then went to the zoo, then a movie. Not too expensive, and totally fun since I already knew it was ok to be goofy...I mean, hello, he themed the date.

Another date he took me on a few months in was a "choose your own adventure" date, where he drew me a little 10 or so page book full of decisions I had to make (like whether to go to dinner or for an activity first, then to choose the activity, then to choose where to have dinner, etc.) It was cool because he clearly put a lot of thought into it.

Dates that happen by accident are always fun too. We seem to have that happen a lot 2 years in. And cooking together is also fun if you've got the time.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Good dates are ones that are fun and include many things to talk about.

It's why the zoo and places like cafés and bookstores are fantastic. The zoo you can talk about the animals and the people, a busy café you can sit down and people watch and talk about them or in bookstores you can page through different topics on the books there and use that as a basis.

It isn't so much as something to do, it's something to interact with the other person, cooking a meal that you have never made for example is excellent because you can do it together and do something new together.

Blake T on