As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ice Skates, lacing and ankle support

CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I was walking home today when I found a shitty looking sports shop selling old Ice Skates. They didn't cost very much money at all, and all I want is something better than rental skates, which are those horrible plastic monstrosities that give you blisters after half an hour.

The main boot fits quite nicely, but the ankle support leaves something to be desired. They're the same size as shoes I normally wear, and I've heard you should buy one size lower, but I didn't have the luxury of choice, so I'm stuck with size 10s. I'm wondering if there are any methods of improving the ankle support, such as padding you can buy that sits inside the skate, or something like a large velcro strap that you can wrap around the ankle area on the outside to provide a tighter fit?

I could always tuck my jeans in, but as well as looking stupid this also causes the hems of my jeans to dig into my ankle, which isn't comfortable. I could also wrap the laces around the ankle before tying them, but I've looked around and most people advise against this. I'm also worried about the laces suddenly snapping or something if I wrap them around too tight. Something more fool-proof would be nice.

Centipeed on

• SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Thicker socks?

I guess also buy new laces for them if they are the original laces.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    get some sturdy laces and just tie them tighter?

if you can't then go with a double pair of socks (helpful if its cold anyway).

Dunadan019 on
  • DanMachDanMach Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Double socks, and maybe wrap your ankle??

DanMach on
  • Golden LegGolden Leg Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thick socks are where it's at.

Golden Leg on
  • SporkedSporked Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Also, wrapping your ankle with an ace bandage (it doesn't need to be, shouldn't be tight) will help a lot just with support. Thick socks and an wrap are the way to go imo.

Sporked on
  • DoxaDoxa Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Are the skates new or used?

If they're new you have to wear them, sorta break them in. To do it just put it them on while watching television and prop your feet up so the blades don't ruin the floor/the floor ruin the blades. Also, get them sharpened if you haven't already.

If they're used then how much used are they? Like beaten the shit out of used?

Doxa on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    First, I know you said you didn't have the luxury of getting the right size, but with ice skate (I assume these are hockey skates) size is extremely important. So if you can go back and try a different size I would, especially if the ankle area is loose. Keeping your ankle stabilized is really important - if your ankle is wobbling around it's going to hurt.

That said, thicker socks (or two pairs of socks) will make them fit better. Also, make sure the laces are TIGHT in the foot and the ankle - REALLY TIGHT - and wrap the laces around the ankle. You can also get a skate tightener, which is a metal thing that you can use to yank on the laces more. If the laces break you can always get new ones for $2.

Also get them sharpened, which will make a big difference.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Another thing to try after tightening them up real good is get some hockey tape (like sock tape, it's pretty cheap) and wrap it around your ankle really tight.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ...I need you to define better what's wrong with the ankle support. If the problem is that your ankle isn't wide enough to fill the boot, well, maybe padding will help. If the boot itself is worn out and flexible, socks or padding probably won't do anything for you as far as improving stiffness, in which case I would say save your money and invest in a better pair instead.

SammyF on