As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Naki Goes to Art School (NSFW)

nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Artist's Corner
Just thought I'd share some of my homework assignments with you guys.

Visual Communication-
We're supposed to design a character using only the primary shapes (cone, cube, cylinder, and sphere). We have to show the creative process, from thumbnails to finished sketch.

Thumbnails:
page1ea9.jpg

Refining/experimenting:
page2eb3.jpg

Finished:
page3pu8.jpg

Sculpture:
This week we have to design a character. It has to be male and stand 20" tall on the final blueprint. I'm having this one printed to size after I draw it on the computer.

sculpturemapoo1.jpg

I can do a straight up anatomy study for my sculpture, or try something with a bit of costuming. I'd like to do something with a bit of costuming, but I'm having a really hard time settling on a theme.

Crits, comments, ideas all welcome.

nakirush on

• Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm no master on anatomy, so that looks good in blue. Also is that a head of a robo walrus with a mohawk?

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Is it just me, or is the top half of that guy's head a bit narrow in the front view? I think it's supposed to get wider around the ears, though you seem pretty well-versed in your proportions, so it could be that I'm missing something.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    @Arden Canelo - It is indeed a robo walrus with a mohawk.

@ Crawdaddio - I guess I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Could you elaborate?

nakirush on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm strangely taken by the mo-hawk walrus. I think the mo-hawk is a little... out there (and 90's comic-ish) and maybe not doing much for the character, but the actual design of the face is simplistic yet distictive. I like it a lot.

as for anatomy, the skull does seems a little narrow at the forehead and I think his Serratus (I think that is what they're called) are a little too wide.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sure; I suppose it's a good thing I already had a skull picture lying around...

bulge.jpg

I outlined the part I'm talking about in red (thank you pen tool).

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanks guys. I get what you're saying now.

Here's an updated pic with some costuming. I want to do a cape, but I'm not sure how that would work for sculpting? Any insight?

sculpturemap2qe6.jpg

nakirush on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The leather might be kind of tricky to sculpt, but damned if it wouldn't look cool. What medium?

(Also, who wears short shorts?!)

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sci-fi Spartans wear short shorts!

It's going to be Chavant clay.

nakirush on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    The leather might be kind of tricky to sculpt, but damned if it wouldn't look cool. What medium?

(Also, who wears short shorts?!)

I wear short shorts!

... i mean. >_> <_<;;

Family guy reference. Seriously. ... guys? why are you looking at me like that?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The thought of doing the shorts in clay reminds me a lot of Marilyn Levine. I can't say I'm too familiar with the properties of that particular kind of clay, but as long as you keep everything relatively form-fitting (i.e., you'll have to be careful, or you might have trouble with the shin guards/arm guards/shoulder piece), and have the right tools with you (I imagine your school's going to either provide you with good tools or tell you where to get them; if you don't have anything super-detaily to work with, my sculpture prof back in the day suggested going to dentists to ask if they had any dental tools to spare), I don't think this will give you much trouble.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Here's an update with weapon, shield, and cape. Not sure how I'm going to do the cape?

sculpturemap2nw6.jpg

nakirush on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Looking up chavant clay, it seems like it certainly isn't beyond the limitations of the medium to have the cape, which means it depends on your experience with the stuff (and/or with clay in general), and with exactly what's expected from the class. How much time have you got, and how much detail are they generally expecting?

In general, I would say to try making the cape as a reasonably simple sheet, at least to the point where they meet the shoulders; from there you can probably "cheat" and sculp the wrinkles.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    We'll be working on a single sculpture for the duration of the semester. So about 10 weeks.

This is the type of stuff students before me have done:
    c.jpg
    a.jpg

nakirush on
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well damn I want to steal that Hellboy and paint him myself. They got it wrong though, he has hooves.
    I is impressed.

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ah, alright then...

............................................................................................................................me

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    He looks very spartanish. I think you cut in a bit too far on his arm, unless he is lacking skin, otherwise it wouldn't be so harshly angled (where the bicep meets the forarm and shoulder for example) especially at that position (the bicept hangs more losely from the shoulder since it's extended right?). I also want to say he should be leaning further back at the midsection, or not leaning so foward at the legs. Oh and please, please don't give him leather short shorts. Go with a loincloth or something if you feel you absolutely must show his thighs. All my opinion of course, but ya.

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I took your advice Shiboe and gave him a little more clothing down there. Also cleaned it up so I can take it to the printer tomorrow.

sculpturemap3ub2.jpg

nakirush on
  • Options
    PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Naki, just a quck question. From just looking at your blue anatomy drawing it all looks fine, however I've been reading over the Loomis Figure Drawing book recently, and he draws the knee line as 'Bottom of the Knee' whereas you draw it as 'Top of the Knee'. Have you been taught differently? It all looks fine to me and I know those are mainly guidelines rather than hard rules, I was just curious.

Ponge on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    In Loomis' book he suggests doing the figure at eight heads tall, which would put the knee line at the bottom. For this project, we were instructed to do 7.5 heads which puts the knee line in a slightly different position,

nakirush on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I still maintain that the curvature of the top part of his head is too pointed, and the mouth looks a bit funky, which I think is because you're outlining the whole lip; I did a quick adjustment, erasing the sides of the bottom lip, moving it down a bit, and flattening the top lip a couple pixels.

quickdraw.jpg

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanks, Crawdaddio. I'll give that a quick touch up before I head out. At the moment I'm not too concerned about the head, since the sculpture will be wearing the helmet.

nakirush on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Started my first life drawing class ever. :D

week1aij8.jpg
    week1bdg7.jpg

Some drawings from Creative Life Drawing. We had to do contour drawings today with only quick glances at the page. Really tough, but I got some very different results out of it.

week1gg1.jpg

nakirush on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    the last set of drawings.. the contour ones. Good shit . The first and last ones show a lot of confidence. Even if the distortions arent intentional for the most part I still enjoyed them.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanks, Kenny. :D The last one is my favorite out of the bunch.

nakirush on
  • Options
    L.E.O.L.E.O. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    those life drawings are pretty good for a first time, what course are you taking exactly?

also that first character made out of shapes looks like Denver the last Dinosaur, with fangs of course.

L.E.O. on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm taking Anatomy, Creative Life Drawing, Visual Communication, and Sculpture at the Gnomon School of Visual Effects in Los Angeles.

I have some more sketches to put up, but my sketch book got wet and it's currently drying out. =/ I did however get some time to get my new website up and running, so I'm quite happy about that.

nakirush on