As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My Infiniteens are out!

eliseu gouveiaeliseu gouveia Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Artist's Corner
WHOO-HOO!

Hi, guys!

I´m really excited right now, Moonstone Books just launched my comic, INFINITEENS (head honcho Joe Gentile tells me it hit the stands yesterday!).

No, I´m am beyond excited.
200+ pages written, pencilled, inked and colored by me the story of 4 kids struggling to save their world.
Here´s a little pannel I "extracted" from a page to celebrate, this is Beverly "Twinblast" Garcia on patrol (she´s wearing a version of her uniform designed for celebrations and public occasions)

IMAGE_455c0e370814b.jpg

I believe beer is in order. :D

eliseu gouveia on

• Options
    GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Gratz!!!

Golem on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That's awesome. Congrats! :D

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Thanks, guys. :D

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    darkdemondarkdemon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Congrats! You live in Portugal I see? In which shops can I expect these comics, I'm in Portugal at the moment and I'll be one of your first customers then :).

darkdemon on
    heyquitit.PNG
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    200+ pages? O.o

Congrats!

Lly on
  • Options
    AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So are you gonna link us to where we can buy this from or not?

I'm a good few years from finishing my own Graphic Novel so I REALLY admire anyone who can put something that massive out entirely on their lonesome. Looks spiffed out as all hell.

Antibodies on
    XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hi, Darkdemon! Thanks! Yeah, I´m a portuguese author. I´m sure you can get it at BDMania, Bairro Alto. it´s where I usually buy my comics: Ultimates, Astonishing X-Men, etc.

Thanks, Lly!
    Yeah, Infiniteens is an 8-part series running at 24-26 pages each. Add to that the covers and revamped pages and suddenly you´re well above the 200 mark. Why was I mad enough to commit to such an endeavor?
    Well, I initially did 2 issues (50 pages) and submitted the project to ommitted Comics.
    They agreed to publish it back in 2001, but they wanted to have the entire storyarc finished first.
    "- Ok, then, I´ll finish the series." I said to myself. How little did I know...
    And off I went to draw the remaining 150 pages. In the summer of 2003, I finally finished the series.
    And just as they were about to release the book, Committed Comics went under and I ended up abandoned with the proverbial baby in my arms.
    Arrrrgh!
    What do I do with these 200 pages? At the time I was working on the series Genie for FC9 Publishing, so I submitted it to them. They liked it and were about to publish it when they too went under.
    Time passes and one day I decide to submit it to Moonstone Books with whom I worked in Vengeance of the Mummy. They liked it and agreed to pick it up and that´s the story. Whew!! Kids, don´t try this at home! Let´s hope three time´s the charm.

Hi, Antibodies! Thanks, I think you can get it in any comicbook store since Diamond is distributing it and they cover the entire US territory. If you don´t , try the Moosntone online store.
    Good luck on your graphic novel, hope you manage to finish it and publish it with great success

Then we can compare experiences :)

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yea seriously, making comics is about the most impossible thing in the world due to the flakiness of the business and the market. Even if you're willing to do all teh work yourself, little indy publishers never last long and don't have the capital to really help you. Diamond and shops, even private consignment shops will screw you. There's very few comic shops even around any more, even in the biggest of cities. When I was a kid there were at least 20 shops I knew of, now I have to take a train to the heart of downtown to get anything-it has pretty much killed my massive collecting habit. I fucking hate buying trades at bookstores, I'd rather support the dying art and dying business.

Antibodies on
    XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wow, you live a dream of mine :D Huge Congratz!

The whole story about the comic could be a little comic itself ^^' whew.

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    How often will issues come out? Monthly? Bi-monthly?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    You´re dead on, Antibodies, there is a reason why they call it the Big Two.
    They´re so huge they master all they survey. All the rest of the indies are but breadcrumbs in the landscape, bugs to be squashed.
    On the distribution issue, I think it´s a worldwide phenomenon.
    Here in Portugal I grew up with comics in every stand. On my way to school it was hard not to see a comic cover hanging from a newstand. Nowadays you have to develop detective skills to find a place that sells them.
    That is what´s hurting the insdustry, the lack of visibility.
    Not the books, the stories or the art which, IMHO are better than ever.
    Comics end up catering to older 25+ readers, alienating the younger generations.

Thanks, Ape2001! Yeah, when I say it was a wild ride getting here I´m not kidding. If I knew the trouble I´d have to go through, I´d have givenup a LONG time ago. :)

Hi, DarkPrimus! Infiniteens is an 8-part mini-series. All the issues are finished, pencils, inks and colors, 200 pages in total, so Moonstone decided to go ahead and release it on a monthly basis.
    you can expect one issue on the shelves every month..... for the next 8 months, at least :) .
    Then, if it sells well enough to warrant it, we can start thinking about making it an ongoing........
    In which case I´ll probably need a partner, no way in hell can I play all the instruments on a monthly basis, story, pencils, inks and colors.

It will really depend on how well it does, which is why I am particularly nervous right now... :shock:

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    paulwindpaulwind Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Can we see some more stuff (previews of pictures or text maybe) from the book? It already sounds like something I'd be interested in.

Looks great! Congratulations!

paulwind on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hey, paulwind, thanks :)

I think I´ve shown them around here before but anyway, here´s some random pages/covers. :)

0.jpgIMAGE_43221c8d22e63.jpg

a.jpgb.jpg

b1.jpg

c.jpgd.jpg

Hope you like it :)

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Oh hey, I actually saw this at my shop on Wednesday, but passed it up since A) I was already buying a bunch of books and B) I didn't know you were doing it. I'll make sure I check it out next week.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    D´Oh! :shock:

Aw, well.... if you pick it up next week, please don´t forget to share your thoughts, I wanna know everything! :lol:

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ooo, something to ask about next time I'm in the local comic shop.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    exitexit Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Oh snap, I'll need to find this somehow.

I loved the last story you did.

exit on
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Canadian distribution?

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Thanks, Golden Yak, I do hope you manage to find it (and pick it) in your local store, I´ve always enjoyed your insightful posts and comments back in the old Silversparrow days.

Thanks, exit,. If it serves of anything, I promise I treat the Infiniteens a lot better than I did Jessie. :)
    I just did an interview for Newsarama where you can find a lot of juicy stuff about these kids.

Hi, tony_important. Diamond is distributing the book and I thinkthey cover Canada. If your bookstore gets regular comics like Marvel and DC, then I think they should get Infiniteens too :)

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I haven't bought a comic in years but I think I'll pick this one up just cause I loved Silversparrow :) I'm sure this'll be great. Can't wait to read it!

Prospicience on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You naked blue-chick is awesome

As is the dude with the giant robot arms/shoulders

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hey, Prospicience thanks. LTNS :)
    The tone in Infiniteens is a bit lighter than Silversparrow, though. There is danger and high stakes but I think the tone is more fun due to the interaction between the charaters and the situations they find themselves in :)

LOL
    Thanks, Staleghoti. Pulsara isn´t really naked, she has an energy membrane surrounding her (much like Silver Surfer). It´s a sign of decay, actually, and anyone around her should be tiptoeing right about now.
    Event Freaks don´t age per se (Pulsara is pushing 50 but she looks in her 20s). Instead, their superparticle field build up over the years til eventually they explode like a nuclear warhead. That longer you manage to stay in control of your superparticle field, the longer you´ll live.
    Julian´s a tech artist and the guy with the flight suit. The flight suit eventually turns into pretty much the village bicicle, from the top of my head I can remeber at least two other people wearing it (including Luther´s girlfriend) in later issues.
    It can reach speeds of mach 2.35 Above that, it starts bleeding more energy than its solar cells can replenish and it crashes.

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Heya, guys,

really excited here. Dunno if you read comics but I got word from Joe Gentile (Moonstone Books) that another ish of my Infiniteens hits the stands tomorrow.

WHOO-HOO!

CBR is running a preview over here.
    For those of you too lazy to click on links -and I know who you are-, heeere´s....

200.jpg

201.jpg

202.jpg

203.jpg

204.jpg

205.jpg

Packing bucketloads of action, the issue marks the kids´official baptism of fire by throwing them smack dab in the middle of a rescue operation gone horribly wrong.
    With people shooting at them from the left and mindless, superpowerful Event Freaks trying to eat their livers (with a fine bottle of Chiant) on the righti, this is the moment of truth when we find out who´s grace under fire and who breaks under pressure.

In the wise words of Chief Barnes, "- Cape Ruseur´s days of peace and quiet are over, kids. Welcome to the war!"

Next time you find yourself trapped inside the wreckage of a crashlanded airship infested with superpowerful beings who are out to rape, killl and eat you (not necessarily in that order), you´ll be happy to know that you´ve got Infiniteens on speed dial.

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    flyingmonkeyflyingmonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wow looking good eliseu. I loved the first comics you posted on here a ways back, I'm impressed you got published with your own full story and everything. Hopefully I can find someplace that sells comics around here and grab an issue..been so long since I bought a comic heh.

flyingmonkey on
    3. And quit this emo-slumming shit. Fuck.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Thanks, flyingmonkey, I think you can find it in Moonstone Books´ online store if there´s no comic stores near you.

I have to be honest here, it may sound cool to have your own book published but I would really like to know where I had my head when I decided that writing, penciling, inking and coloring over 200 pages would be "a piece of cake". :shock:

eliseu gouveia on