As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NDS] Blue Dragon Plus - Fear and awe, Starin' down Eternity, etc

RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
Fear and awe, in your eyes
Showing you what you can't see
Searching hands, you are blind
Starin' down Eternity
:whistle:

2wgrrid.jpg

Official Site CONTAINS SPOILERS

Blue Dragon Plus on the DS comes out in about a month now (February 24, 2009). For those of you who never played (heathens) or didn't like Blue Dragon for the Xbox360 this news probably doesn't do much for you. For those of us who sing along with Ian Gillian in our cars while blasting Eternity at max volume, this news is probably rather exciting.

The game is a Tactics/Real-time Strategy/RPG, near as I can tell.
One year has passed since Shu and his companions defeated the SPOILER SPOILER, SPOILER. In the midst of the battle, the SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILED SOME SPOILERS.

In SPOILER, King Jibral stands on the balcony of SPOILER SPOILER and surveys the scene before him.

He notices a mysterious SPOILER in the distance suddenly start to move violently, and from it he sees the Shadow of a Balaur, a three-headed dragon, emerge.

The enormous and sinister Shadow is just the beginning of the new turmoil and devastation to come.

Features
  • Single Player Campaign With Over 30 Hours of Game Play
  • Legion vs. Legion
  • Control up to 16 humans and Mecha Robos to fight against a horde of enemies
  • Equip your units with items and alter their composition to bolster their strength
  • Exciting Real-Time Battles and Shadow Fights!
  • High Quality Dual Screen FMV's Showcasing More Than an Hour of Story Events!
  • Exciting RPG Elements Such As Item Collection, Character Progression and Robot Customizations

Playable characters
  • Shu and Blue Dragon
  • Jiro and Minotaur
  • Kluke and Phoenix
  • Marumaro and Saber Tiger
  • Zola and Killer Bat
  • King Jibral
  • General Szabo
  • Toripo
  • Poo Snake
  • Fushira
  • Sahlia
  • Marumira
  • Marutora
  • Yasato

Screenshots

24eymif.jpgofdqaf.jpg
t8q8gk.jpgwmo1p3.jpg

Trailer? (gameplay at 1:00) ALSO CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS
I know February is a pretty intense month, but don't forget to get this game guys. Mistwalker probably needs the support.

A light's shining on my heart
Memory of forgotten love
Rays burning through the clouds
Down from the sky up above
:whistle:

Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
RedMageDarion on

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I'll take it upon myself to mention that for anyone thinking about starting Blue Dragon or is playing it right now but hasn't beaten it, do not read about the story for this game in the OP or visit the official site. They both spoil the first game incredibly and it wouldn't be very fun to have the biggest twist in the game spoiled for you in one casual sentence.

Gilder on
  • Options
    NohmanNohman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Uh, yeah, should probably spoiler the summation in the OP, I hadn't finished Blue Dragon yet, and like Gilder said, kinda just had what I assume is the big plot twist spoiled...

Nohman on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sorry man... I was just transcribing. :(

It is fixed now.

Also no one visit the site or the Trailer unless you've beaten the game.

They didn't do a good job of not spoiling stuff. :|

RedMageDarion on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Real-time eh? Color me interested. I hope it fares better than Lost Magic and FF: Revenant Wings. Who's Iginition though?

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    NohmanNohman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's cool, Blue Dragons plot hasn't really been the highlight of the game so far anyway :P

Nohman on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ugh. I'm getting flashbacks of the FFXII game for DS. Not a good thing.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I really, really wish I could like Blue Dragon, but it just felt so... bleh.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fucking bought day one on principle.

urahonky on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    RTS's for the DS and Blue Dragon?
    Whatever that will spawn, the world will not be ready for
    This is like an electronic Necronomicon, unleashing untold horrors upon the world, and the people will hate and fear it
    Seriously though Blue Dragon gets a fucking DS game and Lost Odyssey doesn't? What the hell MS and Mistwalker

Rent on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    The irony of your post coming right before mine
    It is astounding
    I'm guessing the principle you speak of is the "actively antagonize Rent" principle

Rent on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    It is astounding
    I'm guessing the principle you speak of is the "actively antagonize Rent" principle

After reading your post, I was going to reply with:
    Seriously though Blue Dragon gets a fucking DS game and Lost Odyssey doesn't? What the hell MS and Mistwalker

Probably because Blue Dragon is the better game! Don't forget the sequel for Blue Dragon that's coming out on the DS as well.

Just to mess with you. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It is astounding

After reading your post, I was going to reply with:

Probably because Blue Dragon is the better game! Don't forget the sequel for Blue Dragon that's coming out on the DS as well.

Just to mess with you. :P
    *picard facepalm*
    Ugggggh at least Lost Odyssey 2 was announced.
    That will keep me sane
    Damn it urahonky :P

Rent on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Mistwalker has expressed interest before at turning Blue Dragon into a franchise. This was just the next logical step to meet that end.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    Mistwalker has expressed interest before at turning Blue Dragon into a franchise. This was just the next logical step to meet that end.

But why though
    Seriously
    Why
    Just take the (excellent) battle system and use it in the next Lost Odyssey
    Oh, and Akira Toriyama can suck a chode. Most of the time he does good work but it really feels like he dialed it in with character designs in BD
    Not very distinctive at all

Rent on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can't believe this sold nearly well enough at all to merit a pseudo-sequel.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Damn right it did. And the entire thing was awesome.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I regret that I contributed to the sales of Blue Dragon. In all probability, the worst and most generic JRPG I've ever played.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I regret that I contributed to the sales of Blue Dragon. In all probability, the worst and most generic JRPG I've ever played.

Then you've never played Rogue Galaxy. Also, that's a double negative up there. You can't say worst and generic. Because saying something is generic it means it's like everything else, so you're really saying everything else is the worst.

... I'm sorry for that. I'm going to bed now.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Then you've never played Rogue Galaxy. Also, that's a double negative up there. You can't say worst and generic. Because saying something is generic it means it's like everything else, so you're really saying everything else is the worst.

... I'm sorry for that. I'm going to bed now.

Nope, not really. There are games that may have generic themes, or maybe just sections of the game, plot elements, etc.

But Blue Dragon almost felt at times like it was trying to be a parody of the Japanese role-playing game, throwing every possible convention into the pot and coming out with some horrible brew that would scald my skin off.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Yeah, this
    I think with me the thing that irritates me about people who like the game use its awesome battle system to justify everything else.
    Lets review
    To a normal human being this is what the game is
    Gameplay: Awesome
    Graphics: Okay, I guess. Not as good as it could be. Kind of a dull and barren homeworld.
    Voice Acting: Generic to actively harmful to listen to
    Storyline: HAHAHAHAHA
    Music: Fucking awful
    Interface: Servicable, has some flaws but is otherwise okay
    But to a lot of Blue Dragon fans the fact that the only real shining star, the Gameplay, make the otherwise dull or really awful parts somehow totally awesome dude. The Graphics become "The best the 360 has ever produced :rollseye:" The VA becomes "charmingly quaint".
    Same treatment to the goddamn common sense-breaking enemies. And this is by JRPG standards, which are pretty fucking lenient. I mean...really... LAND sharks? That are ROBOTS? Are you fucking SHITTING me? And POO snakes? Am I fucking four? And there's like twenty different kinds? Fuck you, Toriyama.
    The Storyline becomes "A throwback to old times". No it's not, it's a piss-poor excuse for anything. I've read shitty fanfics that had more effort than that goddamn story. Fuck I've written shitty fanfics that had more effort than that goddamn story.
    The Music became "so bad it's good". It's just bad. That is it. It is terrible.
    The thing that infuriates me the most is that just because it has ONE good part to it it became the best thing EVAR on AWESOMESAUCE. It's like, if BD had LO's combat system (good but nothing special), would we be even talking about it? No, everyone would regard it as a terribad game. But because the combat system is really really REALLY good, it's become awesome.
    A game is more than the sum of its parts, especially a JRPG, a plot-driven genre, and it just seems like BD is a celebration of mediocrity and cutting corners in all parts of its design besides one. It is a terrible game, it has many many many faults, and people love it.
    And that's what saddens me.

Rent on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm playing Blue Dragon right now. I like it even though it's not the greatest thing in any category, just a fun little semi-epic traditional RPG with nice next gen graphics. Nowhere near the worst RPG I've ever played, that's for damn sure. At the story isn't so bad it's vomit inducing, like certain other RPGs that shall remain nameless.

That said I don't really like RTS game or even really SRPGs that much anymore so I don't think I'll get this any time soon after it comes out.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    LAND sharks?

bulette.jpg says "fuck you, I'm eating your horse and you can't do shit about it."

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

What? Are you serious? I really have to disagree here.

Go listen to it again, and imagine it as the music for some other RPG. Obviously, we can exclude the boss music from this (but I also like that). The other songs all really feel like the great sounds to fuel a new adventure.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I played through and beat Blue Dragon, so I guess that's saying something, but it really bothered me how nothing really happened throughout the entire game. When I invest 40 or more hours into a Japanese role playing game, I like there to be some meat to the entire experience. If I remember correctly, Blue Dragon was mostly bones. Character development? Little to none. And that went for the plot, as well.

I think what bothered me the most was chasing around a hollow villain for the majority of the game, only to be introduced to an even more hollow real villain in the final ten to thirty minutes of the game, a villain who doesn't even say a single word. Dragon Quest 8 did this. Rogue Galaxy did this. And speaking of Dragon Quest 8, Blue Dragon felt like an exact clone of it to me. Those two felt like instead of eating a delicious meal of chunky chicken noodle soup with a juicy BLT, maybe some chips or some buttered bread, you were just eating a bowl of broth.

Rogue Galaxy I thought was going to be special. It started off so very interesting, and then it literally turned into an arc of Dragonball Z, complete with a Super Saiyan transformation of spiky yellow hair. I don't even want to think about that last section of the game. That whole planet was horrible, horrible, horrible.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The thing with Blue Dragon is it's really just a more advanced looking Dragon Quest 1/2. The storytelling is super basic but it's also not bogged down by androgynous men or emo backstories. It's just a classic "LEt's go on an adventure and beat the bad guy!" story. I also liked Nene as a villain because for the first time in a long while, I actually got to fight a boss that was evil just to be evil. None of this "We all lived in the same orpganage." or "I wanted to create a world for my sister and me" or other things like that. It was just "I'm evil and powerful. Fuck all y'all." I like that in a villain.

I went in with the expectation of it being like DQ with a very basic, barebones story and a class system. That's what I got so I was happy. Also I got it for $20 so that helped.

Dashui, please don't talk about the last planet of Rogue Galaxy. It doesn't exist. In fact, the last 15 hours of that game don't exist. I think we're one of the few people to have actually beaten that game so let's just start a rumor right now that that final planet doesn't exist.

Gilder on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kaseius wrote: »

Go listen to it again, and imagine it as the music for some other RPG. Obviously, we can exclude the boss music from this (but I also like that). The other songs all really feel like the great sounds to fuel a new adventure.

This soundtrack is beautiful, i am not sure he's judging it on the soundtrack or JUST the boss music. By the way the boss music grows on you so much that you start to miss it in every other game. By the second disc when that music kicks in you know it's time to kick ass!

useless4 on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The thing with Blue Dragon is it's really just a more advanced looking Dragon Quest 1/2. The storytelling is super basic but it's also not bogged down by androgynous men or emo backstories. It's just a classic "LEt's go on an adventure and beat the bad guy!" story. I also liked Nene as a villain because for the first time in a long while, I actually got to fight a boss that was evil just to be evil. None of this "We all lived in the same orpganage." or "I wanted to create a world for my sister and me" or other things like that. It was just "I'm evil and powerful. Fuck all y'all." I like that in a villain.

And just for that, the story of Blue Dragon is better than most jRPGs out there.
    It might be hollow and ridiculous, but unlike all those other games out there, it doesn't pretend to not be that, and it doesn't take itself seriously.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    useless4 wrote: »
    Kaseius wrote: »

This soundtrack is beautiful, i am not sure he's judging it on the soundtrack or JUST the boss music. By the way the boss music grows on you so much that you start to miss it in every other game. By the second disc when that music kicks in you know it's time to kick ass!

Yeah RedMageDarion has the song on his 360's HDD, so when he gets to a boss in an RPG he puts it on. Instant +20% chance to win battle added when he does too!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The last boss music (I think it's the last boss music) for Blue Dragon kicks ass too. The track is called The Seal Is Broken.
    I haven't played Blue Dragon, but it has the dubious distinction of having the most annoying voiced character ever, in the form of that shrill tiny monster fucking fuck fuck I hate him.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah see this is why I play with Japanese voices on instead of English.

Well that and I have the sound turned way down with my own music playing.

But yeah Marumaro's voice is still pretty annoying in Japanese...

Schide on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Only good thing Blue Dragon ever did for anyone was "lend" its boss music to the RPG of 2008.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hey so guess what got released last week for no discernible reason and I only just found this out earlier today? That's right, it's this game! So I played through the tutorial and the first 2 missions and I think it's okay. It's certainly a tactics game. You move units into position and you attack. You can choose shadow spells and they take a moment to charge and then you unleash the fury. Then you have to wait before you can use it again. If you use your shadow at the same time as someone else you get into a shadow battle and have to rapidly rub the bottom screen and then you unleash a nuke on the enemy. If they win, you get nuked. I don't know how hard they ever get though.

Do NOT play this game though if you haven't finished the first game. I know I said it before but now that I'm playing it I can say it again. Absolutely don't start off with this game. This is full of old characters, it spoils the big twist for the first game, it shows the final boss from the first game, and it starts you off only a short time after the first game ended with no recap. You'll be completely lost if you start in with this.

This game is also continuing the eternal cycle of fucking Szabo over. It could be the subtitle for the game. Blue Dragon+: This time, Szabo gets REALLY fucked. Oh, I almost forgot the most important thing. Eternity is in this. It's very midi sounding and there's no lyrics but it's in.

Gilder on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I seriously hope they made the music better in this version. God damn that music was terrible, especially the boss battle music.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm not quite sure on what you mean by version, either the first game of the JP release of this, but I realized that no matter what you meant you're screwed. The actual quality of the music is below what the DS can do, because I know it can do more complex sounding songs, and all the songs I've heard so far are from the first game, just downgraded. Oddly though, one song in particular sounded better than everything else. It was also my favorite tune in the first game but I cannot remember when it played. It might have been during the timed fortress.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh shit this is out?!

*runs out to buy it*

Conversely, I hope they have the same music as the 360 version. I'd be a happy man.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh shit this is out?!

*runs out to buy it*

Conversely, I hope they have the same music as the 360 version. I'd be a happy man.
    I hear there's no Eternity.

There is no :( large enough.

RedMageDarion on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh shit this is out?!

*runs out to buy it*

I hear there's no Eternity.

There is no :( large enough.

I've got the mp3... I can put it on my PSP, and when I get into a boss fight, put the headphones on and play the song.

But still, very :(

e: purchased, should be here by Thursday.

urahonky on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm not quite sure on what you mean by version, either the first game of the JP release of this, but I realized that no matter what you meant you're screwed. The actual quality of the music is below what the DS can do, because I know it can do more complex sounding songs, and all the songs I've heard so far are from the first game, just downgraded. Oddly though, one song in particular sounded better than everything else. It was also my favorite tune in the first game but I cannot remember when it played. It might have been during the timed fortress.

THIS IS THE BEGINNING!

AHHHHHHHH!!!!

FEAR AND AWE IN YOUR EYE SHOWING YOU MY CHICKEN SEED!

Fucking awful music.

Or alternatively

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well like I said earlier, Eternity IS in this but it's very midi-ish and there's no lyrics. It's a very basic instrumental version.

Gilder on