As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cleaning out "Jammed" car buttons.

littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
bmw325i.jpg

Here's a pretty good picture of what I'm dealing with. A friend of mine spilled a slushie, which got into the inner workings of the buttons that operate the emergency lights, door lock, and right windows (circled in black). What are my options for dealing with this?

My best guess would be disconnecting the battery and pouring some kind of dissolving solution down in the "joints". But maybe that'll fuck up my car, so hopefully someone with experience in doing this can help me out.

newsig.png
littwentythree on

• Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rubbing alcohol would be my go-to solution. Don't pour it on, but use a q-tip to rub it in the crack around the button and work it repeatedly. It should clean it up, and if any drips down it will evaporate in a few minutes.

If the problem is right under the button, rather then the crack between button and console, you're going to need to take that sucker apart. As long as it isn't a brand new car, you should be able to find a diagram on the net with all the screws and clips labeled. Then it's just a matter of taking the time to take it apart.

But I'd try the rubbing alcohol first.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Rubbing alcohol would be my go-to solution. Don't pour it on, but use a q-tip to rub it in the crack around the button and work it repeatedly. It should clean it up, and if any drips down it will evaporate in a few minutes.

If the problem is right under the button, rather then the crack between button and console, you're going to need to take that sucker apart. As long as it isn't a brand new car, you should be able to find a diagram on the net with all the screws and clips labeled. Then it's just a matter of taking the time to take it apart.

It looks perfectly clean from the surface, all the gunk is under the buttons. Maybe the dripping down would be enough to get at it.

My car is a 2001 BMW 325i and I can't see any easy way of taking things apart.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

It looks perfectly clean from the surface, all the gunk is under the buttons. Maybe the dripping down would be enough to get at it.

My car is a 2001 BMW 325i and I can't see any easy way of taking things apart.

First, shame on you for driving an automatic BMW.

Second, rubbing alcohol works wonders, as do baby wipes. you may be able to fold them small enough to push down into the cracks and then pull them back out.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'll try that out and let you know how it goes, thanks. Keeping this thread open until I try that.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Detailing, we have an all purpose cleaner we use and just spray the shit out of it, then use an air line. Basically though, its just like any grease cutting cleaner. The cleaner will grab any shit, the air line will push it all out and dry it. I've never seen it fuck anything up, and I've sprayed it straight at buttons, radios, displays you name it. Obviously you wouldn't want to soak it with 3-4 concentrated sprays, but the slurpee will have gotten more liquid in the switches than a spray or 2 of cleaner could ever hope to accomplish.

For lack of that, take it to a detail place and if they'll clean up that center console seperately it wouldn't be more than 50 bucks and probably less than 20.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    jthmjthm Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Do your buttons still work, other than being sticky/stuck?

Drive a slightly newer BMW than you do, with a nearly identical layout. Had to come to a quick stop and had about a mouthful of coffee drip into the hazard/door lock part. It wasn't as easy as simply trying to clean it, as it managed to fry something down in the console with that tiny bit of liquid. I was still under warranty, but was told its about 150$ CAD to fix it at a dealership if it wasn't.

And to Iceman - if you pay close attention its not a full automatic. It is a steptronic transmission, which can be driven as a usual auto, or if you pull the stick to the left its a clutchless stick. It's a great option for people using it as a daily driver in stop and go traffic, with the ability to go someone more secluded on weekends. I've yet to hear a decent argument from anyone that would place a full standard above this setup, especially for this range of car.

jthm on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Try some hot water, and use an old toothbrush to get into the crevices. That way you have just enough water to loosen up the squishy syrup and it's hot to help break it down, and the bristles go deep enough to fix the buttons.

The toothbrush works on anything with buttons, like TV remotes, game controllers, etc.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jthm wrote: »
    I've yet to hear a decent argument from anyone that would place a full standard above this setup,

Mechanically, it's still an automatic transmission. You still have all the drawbacks of automatics, such as an inefficient torque converter, the shifting lag associated with them, plus the additional weight and complexity versus a manual transmission.

Now, I'm not saying manumatics aren't a lot easier if you don't want to bother to shift all the time, they're just not as good if you want a car that you control the shifting in.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    stawkstawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    they are just about as good as a manual trans considering Porsche has developed a transmissions that is only a few seconds slower around the nurburgring then its manual counterpart

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just saying, it's not a real car unless it's a manual. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Iceman.USAF on