As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Zealand Camcorder Question

LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I live in the States and my Mom in New Zealand. I want to get her a camcorder for Xmas but I want to make sure its compatible with their electrical power and TV there. Any suggestions or will a US camcorder be ok?

LondonBridge on

• Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Power outlets: We use 230V, 50Hz here in New Zealand as compared to 110V, 60Hz in the US. If you're buying in the US, check the power requirements on the camcorder to see if they take 100-240V, 50-60Hz (some do - some don't).

If they do, you're fine. If it doesn't, you might need to buy a small step down transformer that converts 230V->110V.

Television signals: If you're sending straight to the TV (as opposed to saving on SD/CF/MMC cards), then you're looking for ones that support PAL. TV signals are mainly NTSC in the US. Having said that though, if your mother's television is reasonably new (say 4-5 years), then chances are it'll support both PAL and NTSC so this may not be a problem.

If you're recording to some sort of memory card/saving to the computer, then it'll be the computer playing it and you'll just need to make sure that they have the right codec is all (which will probably come in an installation CD).

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.