As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where To Buy Retro PC Games?

Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'd like to know if anyone knows of any stores that sell old boxed PC games. As in, the actual box, manual, discs, etc. I've found a few good sites that sell old console games, but none of these sites sell old PC games. I've looked around on ebay, but that's typically when I'm trying to find something specific. I'd like to be able to browse through a list of titles to jog my memory and/or choose one at random to look more info about. As others pointed out below, there are certainly great places to buy digital copies of old games, but I'd really like to find a place that sells the tangible goods.

So, anyone know of any good sites that sell retro boxed PC games?

Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
{_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
Bewildered_Ronin on

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Good Old Games has a small library at the moment, but they offer DRM-free games from around the DOS era until the late 90's.

URL (I think):

www.GoG.com

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gametap.com is also a good place to look for old games, though they don't sell you the games, you just get to play them while you subscribe to the service.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Good Old Games has a small library at the moment, but they offer DRM-free games from around the DOS era until the late 90's.

URL (I think):

www.GoG.com

Oh, wow! Thanks! I've never heard of them and that sounds like a great site! I might have to get Kingpin from them. That was a fun game. I like that they make the games Vista/XP compatible, Nice touch.

I don't know why I didn't clarify this, probably cos I'm an idiot sometimes, but what I'm really looking for is actual box titles. I've used Gametap before, and it does have a good selection, but I'd like to find a store that sells, for example, King's Quest V in its box with manual, etc. I realize ebay is the better source for things like this, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any retailers that also sold old boxed PC games.

Sorry for not being clearer in my intent. I've edited my original post to reflect that what I'm really looking for is used boxed titles.

Bewildered_Ronin on
    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You could try somewhere like Value Village. I managed to find a copy of Ultima VIII in its box. I think outside of any kind of second hand store, your best bet is eBay.

I'm not sure if you have Value Village in your area, but it's just a second hand store that sells everything. In their electronics area I've seen computers there older than I am, issues of EGM from 1998, NES games, old controllers, etc.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Half-Price Books sells old games.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yea, I've found lots of goodies at Half-Price Books -- like boxed, 4-CD version of Planescape Torment

Herschel on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

URL (I think):

www.GoG.com

Oh, wow! Thanks! I've never heard of them and that sounds like a great site! I might have to get Kingpin from them. That was a fun game. I like that they make the games Vista/XP compatible, Nice touch.

I don't know why I didn't clarify this, probably cos I'm an idiot sometimes, but what I'm really looking for is actual box titles. I've used Gametap before, and it does have a good selection, but I'd like to find a store that sells, for example, King's Quest V in its box with manual, etc. I realize ebay is the better source for things like this, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any retailers that also sold old boxed PC games.

Sorry for not being clearer in my intent. I've edited my original post to reflect that what I'm really looking for is used boxed titles.

How about using the list of titles on GoG/GT to "jog your memory," and then once you find one you're interested in, try to track it down on eBay?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There is the official 3DRealms store:
    http://3drealms.stores.yahoo.net/games.html
    They have downloadable and 3 1/4" floppy versions of most of their games. I don't know if it comes in a box specifically, though.

Edit: no boxes unless explicitly mentioned.

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    CymrilCymril Son, we just crossed the street. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

URL (I think):

www.GoG.com

They released a boxed set of King's Quest 1-7, November of last year. Some places may still have them if you're willing to call around. Manuals are included on PDF on the CD, though.

Cymril on
    Shut up Francis. Something about Vietnam. Horseshit.

D3: Cymril#1411 || League of Legends/Steam/Xbox/Origin: Cymril
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sorry for not responding sooner. Been a tad busy. Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Unfortunately, there's no Value Village nor Half-Price Books near me. :(

Oh well. I guess it's still ebay and yard sales for me.

The only problem with using GoG/GT to jog my memory is that there's some games they just don't have. Like Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold. Luckily I do remember that game, but there's a lot of titles that they just don't have. Not that I blame them. I mean, I imagine not many people are too keen to play a some old Wolf3D clone. :P

Bewildered_Ronin on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Local used places are going to be your best bet to actually browse old boxed games. I worked at a place that did that and it was local. Where are you at?

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Some people occasionally put really old games up on their Goozex lists.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]