As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What salutation do I use for replies to anonymous job postings

supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I’ve always responded to anonymous job postings with the salutation “Dear Sir or Madame”. But several times recently I’ve seen people complain that they hate receiving correspondence with this salutation. How should I address an anonymous job poster?

supabeast on

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    To whom it may concern

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sometimes, although it's probably not the best idea, I simply greet with whatever time of the day I'm writing.

Like:

"Good Afternoon,

My name is ____ and I am..."

Or Good morning, or good evening.

LaOs on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i generally use "To the hiring manager,"

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The standard formal is "Dear Sir." No reason you can't refer to a superior, regardless of gender, as Sir. I personally see "to whom it may concern" synonymous with "Occupant." At least Dear Sir is formal.

But bsjezz's point is good too -- you can also refer to the position you're assuming is reading the letter. Again, personally I see "To so 'n so" as more of a business memo rather than a formal letter, like "To all employees:" or "To the HR Department:"

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    LeptonLepton Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've always heard "Dear Sir or Madam" is the standard way to write. "To Whom it may concern" allows people to let the letter not concern them.

Lepton on