As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars Galaxies Syndrome

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Social Entropy++
This is not a thread specifically about Star Wars Galaxies. This is a thread about games with wasted potential.

One of my good buddies in real life and I have coined a phrase which we apply to games which have a really good concept but poor execution. This phrase is "Star Wars Galaxies Syndrome" or SWGS for short.

He and I feel that Star Wars Galaxies, back when it came out, had the potential to be an incredible MMO. It had a license for what is probably the most popular IP in America. It had a fantastic crafting system, and the original class system was really cool too. The leveling flow-chart box thing was a great idea. It allowed for people to really customize their characters and create some really interesting hybrid characters.

Additionally, player cities and in general the whole "sand box" thing would have been a great framework on which an incredible game could have been built.

Unfortunately, the game engine and all the potential was squandered. The game had a very big lack of things to do. Basically, the only thing there was to do was go to a mission terminal and run creature killing missions and amass huge quantities of credits which served no purpose. Class balance was a huge issue, some classes such as TKM and Carbineer were amazing, while others such as Ranger and Smuggler were downright awful.

The game had no real quests to speak of. It had a small quest chain to gain access to Jabba the Hutt's throne room, but once you got there, there was nothing to do.

Then they released a couple expansions with content that people didn't want. Rage of the Wookies might have been the most ill conceived expansion of all time. The whole ploy was that they were adding game content that was from Episode 3. But nobody really liked Episode 3 so nobody really cared about RotW.

So that's the topic. Games that have a whole lot of potential, but don't take advantage of what they've got. I'm gonna go ahead and follow this OP with my own second example of a game with SWGS.

Lucascraft on
«13456716

Posts

  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Assassin's Creed - This game could have been absolutely huge. It has a fantastic open world in which to do a lot of shit. But again, just like in the primary example above, the potential is there for a truly magnificent gameplay experience and the game is wasted on repetition and a lack of creative diversity in the missions.

    Using GTA as the prime example of an open world console game, the GTA series has a whole lot of variety in the gameplay available. You can follow the story, which usually involves a healthy mix of driving missions as well as foot missions. Or you can run races. Or in the older games you could do Taxi, Ambulence, or Vigilante police missions. Or Pizza Delivery missions in Vice City. On top of that there is Pool, Bowling, Dating, buying property, doing stunts, finding hidden shit, running over pedestrians and a whole wealth of other random stuff to do.

    Sadly, Assassin's Creed fell into the trap of SWGS and did not deliver as much as it could have or should have. Just imagine if AC had other things to do beyond the same repetitive formula of Scout Things from Towers - Pick Pocket a dude - Beat a guy down - and then go in for the kill.

    Just imagine if finding all the flags in the different areas got you cool toys in your base like the hidden packages in GTA did. Just imagine if there was a reason to hunt down all the 50 Templars other than a measly few achievement points. Oh and if you own AC on the PS3 you don't get achievements so the Templars are 100% worthless. As are the flags.

    Not to mention the fact that the friendly monks and the angry mobs that help you out are almost completely wasted tools since its much easier to go on the rooftops than on the city streets. The framework is there in AC for a great game. The devs just needed to give the player more side-shit to do and make the primary missions less repetitive.

    Lucascraft on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Shit, did i wander into G&T?

    haha, just kidding

    Black and White could've been good
    it wasn't

    Deus Ex 2 i guess, but it was still pretty fun

    Armed and Dangerous?
    I didn't play much of it., but hey, shark gun

    redfenix on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Deus Ex 2 never came out you shut up shut the fuck up

    Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I thought Shadowrun had some interesting mechanics. Shame it went the way it did.

    John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    as a game itself, it was alright
    as a sequel to DE1 ?
    yeah, shameful

    redfenix on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll get it out of the way now:

    Spore.

    NotASenator on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I thought Shadowrun had some interesting mechanics. Shame it went the way it did.

    snes or sega?

    i loved the snes one

    redfenix on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    redfenix wrote: »
    I thought Shadowrun had some interesting mechanics. Shame it went the way it did.

    snes or sega?

    i loved the snes one

    You...

    NotASenator on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed
    What the fuck, are you crazy

    Wasted potential? The game was excellently put together, a superb amount polish.

    hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed
    What the fuck, are you crazy

    Wasted potential? The game was excellently put together, a superb amount polish.

    except the content was crap
    it was a finely polished turd

    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/16-Assassins-Creed

    redfenix on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I'll get it out of the way now:

    Spore.
    it was good for a week!

    Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    redfenix wrote: »
    I thought Shadowrun had some interesting mechanics. Shame it went the way it did.

    snes or sega?

    i loved the snes one

    You...

    Me?

    redfenix on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    redfenix wrote: »
    I thought Shadowrun had some interesting mechanics. Shame it went the way it did.

    snes or sega?

    i loved the snes one

    You...

    you're joking?


    the genesis version is clearly superior

    clearly

    lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    lostwords wrote: »
    NotACrook wrote: »
    redfenix wrote: »
    I thought Shadowrun had some interesting mechanics. Shame it went the way it did.

    snes or sega?

    i loved the snes one

    You...

    you're joking?


    the genesis version is clearly superior

    clearly

    well, i never played it
    i just know it exists

    redfenix on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    redfenix wrote: »
    Armed and Dangerous?
    I didn't play much of it., but hey, shark gun

    This game sounded so awesome on paper.

    Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also, Crackdown.

    Sure it was hell of a lot of fun to sandbox around in but some more varied missions would have been delicious. Here's hoping that sequel is really on the way.

    John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Master

    Of

    Orion

    Three

    Khavall on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mysst wrote: »
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I'll get it out of the way now:

    Spore.
    it was good for a week!

    this. holy shit this. i really liked it until it became the same shit over and over and over.

    I guess I would say eve. The only thing that makes that game really fun is the metagame between allicances. the game itself is incredibly boring.

    TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    nintendo wii

    8-)

    lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like Assassin's Creed more than most people.

    Some people say that it was a well-polished piece of crap, but I think of it as a good game, diluted in lots and lots of nothing.

    They created this gorgeous game world, and gave you a really cool way to explore it, and most of the actual assassin missions were pretty fun, but there was just so much repetitive busywork in between.

    CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed
    What the fuck, are you crazy

    Wasted potential? The game was excellently put together, a superb amount polish.

    I filled in my Assassin's Creed second post with an explanation.

    Lucascraft on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Any game that came out after Shadow of the Colossus that you think and felt should have been like Shadow of the Colossus but wasn't like Shadow of the Colossus and thus sucked (ie Twilight Princess)

    Franko on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pirates of the Burning Sea

    It looked beautiful, was very in depth, the ship-to-ship battles were awesome, but in order to participate in the crafting you had to log on for at least a half hour like every fucking day and the H2H combat - urrgh. Just terrible. There's no collision between the units, and they sent you in with several AI-controlled shipmates who always did the exact same fucking thing: run at the center of mass of the nearby enemies. Two groups of six fighters would just rush towards each other and become a blinking, flickering singularity of pirate anger towards which you could only throw a few limited moves in the hopes that you were hitting into an area the server recognized as occupied by an enemy.

    Also the Conan MMO.

    MrMonroe on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mysst wrote: »
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I'll get it out of the way now:

    Spore.
    it was good for a week!

    While I wasn't as disappointed with it as I was with SWG, I expected all this emergent gameplay and it was so locked down into the individual styles.

    The space game was where it was at.

    NotASenator on
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Turok for the 360.

    I hear they used this shit in Guantanamo. After the 5th time stabbing someone and being completely disorientated by the shitty cutscene, they revealed all the secrets of Allah.

    Fucking garbage..

    Astraphobia on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm still holding out hope the next Spore expansion will add actual content to the game

    Pony on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Pirates of the Burning Sea

    It looked beautiful, was very in depth, the ship-to-ship battles were awesome, but in order to participate in the crafting you had to log on for at least a half hour like every fucking day and the H2H combat - urrgh. Just terrible. There's no collision between the units, and they sent you in with several AI-controlled shipmates who always did the exact same fucking thing: run at the center of mass of the nearby enemies. Two groups of six fighters would just rush towards each other and become a blinking, flickering singularity of pirate anger towards which you could only throw a few limited moves in the hopes that you were hitting into an area the server recognized as occupied by an enemy.

    Also the Conan MMO.

    If PotBS was just the economy game, I would have played it forever.

    As it was, I got tired of sailing around to transport oak timbers.

    NotASenator on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I'll get it out of the way now:

    Spore.
    it was good for a week!

    While I wasn't as disappointed with it as I was with SWG, I expected all this emergent gameplay and it was so locked down into the individual styles.

    The space game was where it was at.
    the only thing I don't like about the space game is having to be the one that does all the trading instead of the damn government giving you money everytime you hit home.

    Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Turok for the 360.

    I hear they used this shit in Guantanamo. After the 5th time stabbing someone and being completely disorientated by the shitty cutscene, they revealed all the secrets of Allah.

    Fucking garbage..

    really?

    Did you really just type that?

    Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009
    Mass Effect

    bongi on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Muslims aren't real people, Veretas, it's ok.

    NotASenator on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also, I'll preemptively put Star Trek Online in here.

    NotASenator on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bongi wrote: »
    Mass Effect

    why's that?

    is it because it is impossible to make a character not look like a mongoloid?

    lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009
    lostwords wrote: »
    bongi wrote: »
    Mass Effect

    why's that?

    is it because it is impossible to make a character not look like a mongoloid?
    No it's because they completely undelivered on their promises of having a big galaxy to explore, of having an interesting dialogue system (okay I guess this wasn't so much the system's fault as the writer's) and by having crappy combat.

    Plus you couldn't kiss boys.

    Plus the character generator could only make Downs Sydrome sufferers yes.

    bongi on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Pirates of the Burning Sea

    It looked beautiful, was very in depth, the ship-to-ship battles were awesome, but in order to participate in the crafting you had to log on for at least a half hour like every fucking day and the H2H combat - urrgh. Just terrible. There's no collision between the units, and they sent you in with several AI-controlled shipmates who always did the exact same fucking thing: run at the center of mass of the nearby enemies. Two groups of six fighters would just rush towards each other and become a blinking, flickering singularity of pirate anger towards which you could only throw a few limited moves in the hopes that you were hitting into an area the server recognized as occupied by an enemy.

    Also the Conan MMO.

    If PotBS was just the economy game, I would have played it forever.

    As it was, I got tired of sailing around to transport oak timbers.

    I would have kept playing in a guild and just followed the instructions of whatever spreadsheet-wielding neckbeard happened to be our resident economist if it weren't for the HtH combat. They probably should have cut it from the game entirely.

    MrMonroe on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bongi is still angry that mass effect won't let you play a homosexual male

    really he just wants to have mansex with kaiden

    i actually agree with him on this point

    Pony on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Also, I'll preemptively put Star Trek Online in here.
    but you can make your own species!and you can give your whole race a backstory of having really big dongers and the women sexually maturing after 6 years! and being irresistible to other races! and being the smartest engineers and best tacticians!

    Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bongi wrote: »
    lostwords wrote: »
    bongi wrote: »
    Mass Effect

    why's that?

    is it because it is impossible to make a character not look like a mongoloid?
    No it's because they completely undelivered on their promises of having a big galaxy to explore, of having an interesting dialogue system (okay I guess this wasn't so much the system's fault as the writer's) and by having crappy combat.

    Plus you couldn't kiss boys.

    Plus the character generator could only make Downs Sydrome sufferers yes.

    That is the only legitimate argument you make in this post. I was going to glibly say something about how you probably don't like it because you like mansex too much but now I realize that's actually true

    Not that that's unreasonable, but there was lots of galaxy to explore and plenty of good writing.

    MrMonroe on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bongi wrote: »
    lostwords wrote: »
    bongi wrote: »
    Mass Effect

    why's that?

    is it because it is impossible to make a character not look like a mongoloid?
    No it's because they completely undelivered on their promises of having a big galaxy to explore, of having an interesting dialogue system (okay I guess this wasn't so much the system's fault as the writer's) and by having crappy combat.

    Plus you couldn't kiss boys.

    Plus the character generator could only make Downs Sydrome sufferers yes.
    wait I thought there was a dialog option for hitting on kaiden. did they not let it follow through?

    Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    NotACrook wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Pirates of the Burning Sea

    It looked beautiful, was very in depth, the ship-to-ship battles were awesome, but in order to participate in the crafting you had to log on for at least a half hour like every fucking day and the H2H combat - urrgh. Just terrible. There's no collision between the units, and they sent you in with several AI-controlled shipmates who always did the exact same fucking thing: run at the center of mass of the nearby enemies. Two groups of six fighters would just rush towards each other and become a blinking, flickering singularity of pirate anger towards which you could only throw a few limited moves in the hopes that you were hitting into an area the server recognized as occupied by an enemy.

    Also the Conan MMO.

    If PotBS was just the economy game, I would have played it forever.

    As it was, I got tired of sailing around to transport oak timbers.

    I would have kept playing in a guild and just followed the instructions of whatever spreadsheet-wielding neckbeard happened to be our resident economist if it weren't for the HtH combat. They probably should have cut it from the game entirely.

    No wonder I didn't stick with it. I only had the spreadsheet, not the neckbeard.

    NotASenator on
Sign In or Register to comment.