As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lets go on down to South Park! WTF!

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Finger pointing doesn't solve anything, Steve!

VoodooV on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have a vague feeling that that episode somehow didn't add up to the sum of its parts but can't decide exactly why. All the premises were funny, there was some excellent dialogue, but something felt off to me.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have a vague feeling that that episode somehow didn't add up to the sum of its parts but can't decide exactly why. All the premises were funny, there was some excellent dialogue, but something felt off to me.

You need to ask the economy for answers.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What hapenned in the congress thing with the blood?

This is really the best part of the episode. You can't read it in text, just wait till it's up on SouthParkStudios and skip to the last 10 minutes.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow, that was an amazing episode. Granted, I enjoyed the first two episodes this season, but ones like this are the reason I keep watching.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Well they didn't really preach about how libertarianism rocks like they sometimes do in episodes like this...

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    I love episodes with Randy. He's awesome. The "Last Supper" scene was pretty funny too.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I love episodes with Randy. He's awesome. The "Last Supper" scene was pretty funny too.
    Whoever it might be...

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I think one thing that felt kind of 'off' to me was that both Stan and The Economy's storylines kind of wrapped up quickly and sloppily, particularly with Kyle. They didn't really end up doing anything with Cartman's betrayal subplot, and Kyle fixing everything by buying up all the bad debt in the last two minutes kind of seemed really...I dunno, rushed and quick-fixy.

That said, the Treasury chicken ritual gave me the biggest laugh of the season. I think it was the kazoo that did it.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Omeks wrote: »

I think one thing that felt kind of 'off' to me was that both Stan and The Economy's storylines kind of wrapped up quickly and sloppily, particularly with Kyle. They didn't really end up doing anything with Cartman's betrayal subplot, and Kyle fixing everything by buying up all the bad debt in the last two minutes kind of seemed really...I dunno, rushed and quick-fixy.

That said, the Treasury chicken ritual gave me the biggest laugh of the season. I think it was the kazoo that did it.
    I really laughed when Father Maxi said "That would be stupid!"

Also, Kyle's subplot was the New Testament.
    He was buying to clean the the debts. (Dying for the sins)

Cartman was Judas, but Kyle already knew he was an asshole Douche, the Council was the pharisees.

Seriously, you missed that? And the end, when they put him to bed like they put Jesus in the tomb? There's a reason they had that whole segment.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Im just sad they spent so much time on other areas that Cartman never got to betray him, its like Mysterion and Kyle last week.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Im just sad they spent so much time on other areas that Cartman never got to betray him, its like Mysterion and Kyle last week.
    They kind of went everywhere they could with the joke, I think. GTA, and Kyle already knowing who would betray him.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Finger pointing doesn't solve anything, Steve!

Brilliance in an otherwise bland episode.

Some good jokes here and there though.

However, I'm kinda aggitated with the blatant name dropping. GRAND THEFT AUTO CHINA TOWN WARS ON THE HANDHELD NINTENDO DS!.
    Seriously, you missed that? And the end, when they put him to bed like they put Jesus in the tomb? There's a reason they had that whole segment.

I'm pretty sure he gets that, but is saying that it seems like there were a bunch of sub plots that never climaxed or paid off, which I would agree with.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The name dropping was hilarious, I thought.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    The name dropping thing doesn't bother me. They name dropped the Dreamcast, Pokemon, the Wii, the entire WoW episode and there are others I can't think of right now. It's just part of what they do. Plus, I thought it was funnier that way. It's the kind of thing Cartman does.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Thinking back on it, the "Finger Pointing!" and Maxi going "That would be stupid! Don't be stupid!" Were probably the best jokes of the episode.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "Frank here had to quit his job at Little Caesar's."

I was was wondering why that guy was standing there. :P

emnmnme on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ha ha, that episode is great. I realized where they were going pretty quickly, but they still did it really well.

The chicken metaphor was also hilarious.

BAIL OUT!

never die on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wish Kyle was put on a cross of gold.

Couscous on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

I think it might have been funny if they had one more shout-out to an old episode, besides the "tuk our gerbs" one would have been if Kyle paid off the debt with his jew gold he keeps around his neck.

never die on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    never die wrote: »

I think it might have been funny if they had one more shout-out to an old episode, besides the "tuk our gerbs" one would have been if Kyle paid off the debt with his jew gold he keeps around his neck.

Or the gold in his Jew cave.

Couscous on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    never die wrote: »

Or the gold in his Jew cave.

I did expect a Jew cave full of gold, but I guess they basically did that joke already and doing it more might look bad.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I went back and watched season six this week with my wife. Truly the greatest of all seasons. So many fucking good episodes. Ladder to heaven, Child Tracker, Bebe's Boobs...

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I expected a jew cave as well... I expected Kyle to be put in it.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    I expected a jew cave as well... I expected Kyle to be put in it.

The stone in front of it rolled and Cartman found the cave empty, because he stole all the gold and threw Kyle's comatose body into a ditch.

Couscous on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Am I insane?
    I liked all 3 episodes so far.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It honestly felt like they intended the episode to be longer than that but it was still hilarious
    I lost it at the very end though

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    this was my favorite of the 3 so far
    but i've liked them all

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    AmaranthAmaranth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Am I insane?
    I liked all 3 episodes so far.

Nah man, I've liked 'em too

Amaranth on
  • Options
    KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kagera wrote: »

Well they didn't really preach about how libertarianism rocks like they sometimes do in episodes like this...

This tends to be the hallmark of a good episode.

Koolaidguy on
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This was a well done episode. I especially liked the shout-out to the illegal immigrants episode.

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And the zombie-homeless people from last season was hilarious too, btw.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This episode was hilarious, too bad they had to ruin it by continuously beating us over the head with their ignorant political "subtext". I really wanted to enjoy it but for every awesome gag there was like 5 minutes of boring filler with Kyle telling us to get out our credit cards and start borrowing. Apparently we can solve all our problems by racking up inordinate quantities of credit card debt emot-psyduck.gif

Azio on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Azio wrote: »
    This episode was hilarious, too bad they had to ruin it by beating us over the head with their ignorant political "subtext". I really wanted to enjoy it but for every awesome gag there was like 5 minutes of boring filler with Kyle telling me to get out my credit card and start borrowing. Apparently we can solve all our problems by racking up inordinate quantities of credit card debt emot-psyduck.gif

I thought his point was to spend, but not spend more than you have. Since debt is a hole with no bottom it's easy to bottom out and economy and start a panic, but if you stop being an idiot and don't buy things you can't afford, we might just be okay.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Azio, I don't really think they were endorsing racking up debt.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Azio wrote: »
    This episode was hilarious, too bad they had to ruin it by beating us over the head with their ignorant political "subtext". I really wanted to enjoy it but for every awesome gag there was like 5 minutes of boring filler with Kyle telling me to get out my credit card and start borrowing. Apparently we can solve all our problems by racking up inordinate quantities of credit card debt emot-psyduck.gif

I thought his point was to spend, but not spend more than you have. Since debt is a hole with no bottom it's easy to bottom out and economy and start a panic, but if you stop being an idiot and don't buy things you can't afford, we might just be okay.
    Besides, you can buy and sell debt. Money is ultimately just a symbol of trust between human beings, IMO.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    They wanted Kyle to sound like Jesus, so he had to say faith in the economy was a good thing.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That was a good episode, the best since "The List"

And the ending was fun, with credit being given to Obama for no reason.

And Sur La T-able-, I have to say that now.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Maybe I overreacted a little. I just feel like they're strawmanning legitimate concerns about the economy as unreasonable hysteria about an imaginary problem. The crisis is far from illusory.

Mainly, though, I just wanted more gags and less talky parts.

Azio on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The point was not to completely shut off spending, because that just makes things worse. They just wanted people to live within their means. And, at least from what I've read and watched, media outlets are really pushing to make this seem on par with the depression, possibly in order to act like when we inevitably do get out of it, they can act like we're an even better generation than those in the 30's in 40's just to give ourselves some self-worth (I think of it like the Smug Alert episode, only instead of driving hybrids it's "Hey, we survived the 2k depression!" "Good for yoooooou!").

They took shots at everyone in this episode. That's why it worked. If only they could have really gone after Geithner.

TexiKen on