As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Talley's steaming sketch dump[NSFW]

TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hiya, old lurker here. One of my room mate's recently bought a scanner/printer which means I can now upload all the things I've been meaning to for over a year now.

It's been awhile since I was taking any art classes so I've been trying to stay in practice. One thing I do ever now and then is look for models on the internet to sketch to practice my figure drawing.
figure1.jpg

Yeah I don't know what's going on with her left foot. I'd imagine that's how it'd look in the picture or else I probably would have noticed how weird I was drawing it. I guess that's why I should keep the original pictures.

figure7.jpg

Eventually I decided to start mixing it up since most models I came across were relatively young nude females. I'd draw male models every now and then but I didn't want to give my roommate's the opportunity to make any gay jokes so I stuck with females mostly.
Here I tried to include some background.

figure2.jpg

figure6.jpg

Here I tried to use darker shading.

figure5.jpg

A couple close-ups.
figure3.jpg
figure4.jpg

I'm sure I could use a lot of improvement so I'm open to any criticism you guys might have.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Talleyrand on

• Options
    RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    CONTRASTS!

Not a bad start though, keep practicin'

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Here's a couple free hand sketches I've done as well.

img007dgh.jpg
    wichki.jpg
    scottys.jpg

I plan on coloring these soon but I left my graphic's tablet somewhere where I won't be able to get to it for a couple weeks. Suuuucks.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    CONTRASTS!

Not a bad start though, keep practicin'

So by contrasts do you mean I need a wider ranger a values? Makes sense, I really only use one type of pencil for each sketch. The freehand ones I actually did with a mechanical pencil. I know, I know. Bad artist! *swat with rolled up newspaper* I just feel like I'm breaking my flow when I have to stop and think about which pencil I should use for each value.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd gotten practically to the point of convincing myself that I had dreamed up the stigma against mechanical pencils. A lot of people here use them to great effect (ND, for instance), so don't feel like you shouldn't use them; they work well for getting clean lines down. You don't have to check your pencil for each value; you can get the basics as you have them there, and then take a darker pencil and go over the darker parts with it.

Anyway, the second girl's breasts are doing something really funky, and the faces past the fourth drawing get a bit off, but overall, it's not a bad start, like Ravenshadow said. In the future, though, try to match your hatching strokes with the cross-contours of the form to enhance the depth of the figures.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    craw you seem to be under the false impression that what type of pencil you use matters
    it's not the type of pencil it's whether or not you know what you're doing with it.
    you can use a lump of shit and get proper values if you understand value
    it looks like he's drawing light due to a lack of confidence in his strokes which would be due to inexperience.

beavotron on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait, no, I don't think I said that right; I didn't mean to imply that I thought the pencil mattered, I meant the opposite, that though I remember sometime back people saying that mechanical pencils were bad, that the consensus here is that there isn't anything wrong with using them (the clean lines part is just because they don't dull like wooden pencils).

The other part was in response to him worrying about what kind of pencil to use for each value.
    I don't know if I did any better, there. I'm trying not to sound like I'm backpedaling, but maybe the fact that I'm trying means that I am...:|

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    it's definitely easier to get stronger value contrasts out of a range of wooden pencils
    but again, that doesn't mean you understand value
    that just means some of the pencils are darker than others.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ok, confident, darker lines. Gotcha.

Anyways, I found the time to upload a lot more sketches. Man, I can't wait to start coloring some of these. Why did I have to leave my graphic's tablet in a different city?!

adelhein.jpg

dwarfmachines.jpg

mariusandpincornsketche.jpg

medievalgatlinggun.jpg

merchantroad2.jpg

mutantzealot.jpg

skizlittle.jpg

treehug.jpg

warhammerconceptart.jpg

And here's some tattoo designs I did.

cthulhutattoo.jpg

tattooh.jpg