As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Has the Wii bubble burst?

• GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    But this brings to mind arguments we used to have here back in the day about how the Wii would be able to do Gears of War by the end of its lifespan.

:lol: Really? People used to say that?

Man, I had such higher expectations for the wii's graphical power. I figured all games would look about as good as galaxy. I believed those horrendously doctored red steel bullshots that ubisoft sent out to hype the game. Damn. Live and learn, I guess. If only the damn thing could output at 720p...

Guek on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    But this brings to mind arguments we used to have here back in the day about how the Wii would be able to do Gears of War by the end of its lifespan.
    The only argument I remember was one where it was said the Wii could not handle Dead Rising. I argued that it could, even if it meant making each zombie just a few dozen polygons; a big array of monster data isn't exclusive to the HD consoles.

It can be argued that the port of Dead Rising shows the Wii really can't handle it, but that's in the sense that it can't handle being exactly the same as it was on 360. As far as the number of active, threatening zombies, I think it was an admirable effort and I think it did a better job than most people would've expected. For those who played it, that is.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    The Wii of 2007\early 2008 had a good library. The present Wii does not.

...w....wouldn't the Wii library of present be the same of 2007/2008?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Guek wrote: »

Yeah, there were some pretty heated arguments about it.

It doesn't have to do it in HD, developers just haven't figured out the tricks that would make it work yet, you can't tell what the Wii is capable of yet because developers are just releasing rushed ports. Gears of War with all its shaders and hi-res textures could be done, and any excuse to justify why it hadn't been was used.

It died out for quite a while and then The Conduit was announced and the developers said its graphics were as good as could be produced on the 360 and it sparked the whole thing off again for a week or two.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    And there's more games on the Wii I'm interested in than for either the 360 or the PS3. Blasphemous, probably, but all the PS3 has for me is Disgaea 3.

The 360 just has Dead Rising, Ninety Nine Nights, Tales of Vesperia, and Project Sylpheed.

All the awesome shmups on the 360 don't tempt you at all? I would have thought given that you were one of only 3 people in the world to purchase Shikigami 3 & Ultimate Shooting Collection that it would be otherwise.

RainbowDespair on
    edited March 2009

Yeah, there were some pretty heated arguments about it.

It doesn't have to do it in HD, developers just haven't figured out the tricks that would make it work yet, you can't tell what the Wii is capable of yet because developers are just releasing rushed ports. Gears of War with all its shaders and hi-res textures could be done, and any excuse to justify why it hadn't been was used.

It died out for quite a while and then The Conduit was announced and the developers said its graphics were as good as could be produced on the 360 and it sparked the whole thing off again for a week or two.

The conduit has me curious. I saw it at PAX and thought it looked like shit. Since then, the game has been considerably retooled and polished up. A lot of people hyped up the graphics of Madworld as well, and I thought that more or less lived up to expectations. I'm still pessimistic about the conduit, but I still remain intrigued.

But yeah, gears of war it fuckin aint.

Guek on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    New topic:

Has the 'Has the wii bubble burst' thread burst its bubble?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    New topic:

Has the 'Has the wii bubble burst' thread burst its bubble?

It isn't big enough to really be a bubble. I say we need at least ten more pages for it to be considered a bubble.

Couscous on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think, or at least hope, that the hype has faded away and gamers are looking at the Wii critically. There was (or is) a time when any negative comments about the system lead to people being burned at the stake.

From the moment the Wii was announced analysts and pretty much the internet were panning the system as shit.

Then it was released and analysts and the internet were panning the system as gimmicky shit

Then it sold like hotcakes and analysts and the internet were panning the system as gimmicky shit.

And articles continue to be written about how the Wii bubble will burst and suddenly as a collective everyone will realize that this console they bought sucks.

Where have you been living that any comments against the Wii were thrown in the back?

Khavall on
    edited March 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    I think, or at least hope, that the hype has faded away and gamers are looking at the Wii critically. There was (or is) a time when any negative comments about the system lead to people being burned at the stake.

From the moment the Wii was announced analysts and pretty much the internet were panning the system as shit.

Then it was released and analysts and the internet were panning the system as gimmicky shit

Then it sold like hotcakes and analysts and the internet were panning the system as gimmicky shit.

And articles continue to be written about how the Wii bubble will burst and suddenly as a collective everyone will realize that this console they bought sucks.

Where have you been living that any comments against the Wii were thrown in the back?

Perhaps here. The G&T generally likes the little white bugger. Some call it a nintendo bias. Others just call it personal opinion.

Guek on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Khavall wrote: »

Perhaps here. The G&T generally likes the little white bugger. Some call it a nintendo bias. Others just call it personal opinion.

I guess if your only source of feedback is G+T there's a bit of a Wii bias, but even then we're not burning anyone who says anything against the Wii at the stake.

Khavall on
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Wii is pretty cool. My girlfriend’s parents bought one recently and they love it. I don’t think any kind of bubble will be bursting any time soon.

But really, I just made this post because I saw Sam and Max Season 1 for sale recently. I have never played an adventure game, but I’m still somewhat interested in it. Should I buy it?

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    AJR wrote: »
    The Wii is pretty cool. My girlfriend’s parents bought one recently and they love it. I don’t think any kind of bubble will be bursting any time soon.

But really, I just made this post because I saw Sam and Max Season 1 for sale recently. I have never played an adventure game, but I’m still somewhat interested in it. Should I buy it?

Hell yes, it is easy to get into, interesting and clever without being ball bustingly hard, and extremely hilarious.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    carmofin wrote: »
    ultimately the wii is far from dying, no matter how you look at it. however, im still sick of people here constantly trying to make the wiis current lineup into something it is not! theres an utterly painfull dry period right now, has been for months.
    all titles released are LOW BUDGET and even if some of them are fun, it is completely clear that publishers are still pumping the majority of their budget into PS3/360 development! and its really starting to piss me off, because i see no reason to do so, when titles released for these systems cost a tenfold in development and sell barely the same.

I feel for you if you don't like HotD or Madworld. Or do those fall in the category of being low budget (i.e. lower than 360/PS3 budgets, which is true for probably every damn Wii game) and fun, thus it doesn't matter? Seriously, if one acknowledges a game is fun, who the hell cares about budgets?

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've said it before, but I'll reiterate: the issue is that many devs simply have no desire to produce games on the Wii. The HD consoles have taken as a given that gaming is a visceral experience and that whatever increases that experience (better graphics, AI, sound, number of onscreen characters) is going to better gaming - and to be honest this idea has been fundamental to gaming pretty much since it began. Nintendo wasn't joking when they said that it'd be difficult to get some developers to turn around and accept a different idea of how to make a game better.

Lots of us here roll our eyes whenever we hear that a major series is getting its next installment on mobile phones. I think it's a sentiment that many (typically Western) devs have taken to heart as well: why make a limited game on a limited system when you can push more on a more powerful system? This isn't the 80's or 90's where devs took pride in getting down to assembly-level programming and pushing a system as hard as possible, and it's even more silly to assume that devs would do that today for a system that is already "outdated" anyway.

I don't know if I really have a larger point. I'm just old and jaded and I like the idea of the Wii, even if the actual realization of the idea hasn't really lit the world on fire like it was supposed to. Even if the Wii sold 10 times as much as it has, I wouldn't expect many more devs to sign on, since the whole idea behind it is anathema to them (CliffyB has flat-out said it - and well, he is the gatekeeper right now since UE3 is everywhere).

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Akatsuki wrote: »
    ultimately the wii is far from dying, no matter how you look at it. however, im still sick of people here constantly trying to make the wiis current lineup into something it is not! theres an utterly painfull dry period right now, has been for months.
    all titles released are LOW BUDGET and even if some of them are fun, it is completely clear that publishers are still pumping the majority of their budget into PS3/360 development! and its really starting to piss me off, because i see no reason to do so, when titles released for these systems cost a tenfold in development and sell barely the same.

I feel for you if you don't like HotD or Madworld. Or do those fall in the category of being low budget (i.e. lower than 360/PS3 budgets, which is true for probably every damn Wii game) and fun, thus it doesn't matter? Seriously, if one acknowledges a game is fun, who the hell cares about budgets?

both games are ridiculously short, showing the kind of money that was put into them. im not saying they are bad games.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
    edited March 2009
    What's RE5's excuse then?

Ultimanecat on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    CliffyB loves the HD systems because those two platforms have generated a market for middleware solutions and licensed engines; something CliffyB's company thrives on.

There has been plenty of interest from developers in working on the Wii. EA and Activision and all the big boys like Capcom and Ubisoft and Konami and so forth are jumping on the Wii wagon, but so are the smaller guys like Atlus, Platinum Games, Grasshopper, SNK, WayForward, Xseed, Aksys, D3, Telltale and so are the mid guys like Sega and Tecmo and so forth. We've gotten a lot of great games for the Wii from all of these groups, many of them Wii exclusive.

Also, speaking of companies that make money licensing engines, John Carmack has recently expressed interest in designing and developing a Wii game. Will it come to fruition? Who knows, but the interest is there.

slash000 on
    edited March 2009

both games are ridiculously short, showing the kind of money that was put into them. im not saying they are bad games.

A game's budget is directly linked to its length? Really? Wow. And again, if they're not bad games, why complain about a drought? These two came out very recently, plus kororinpa 2 (I believe it's out in US right?) as well as Pikmin Play Control, which I realize is an enhanced port.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:

edited March 2009
    both games are ridiculously short, showing the kind of money that was put into them.

Bahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahah

I guess Heavenly Sword was cheap to produce too, since it was ridiculously short?

slash000 on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    [
    both games are ridiculously short, showing the kind of money that was put into them.

Bahahahahaahahahahahahahaah

I guess Heavenly Sword was cheap to produce too, since it was short?

Pfft, everyone in New Zealand knows you can hire Andy Serkis for almost nothing.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And there's more games on the Wii I'm interested in than for either the 360 or the PS3. Blasphemous, probably, but all the PS3 has for me is Disgaea 3.

The 360 just has Dead Rising, Ninety Nine Nights, Tales of Vesperia, and Project Sylpheed.

All the awesome shmups on the 360 don't tempt you at all? I would have thought given that you were one of only 3 people in the world to purchase Shikigami 3 & Ultimate Shooting Collection that it would be otherwise.

How many of them were released in the US? Less than three? :P

Though Raiden Aces making here is interesting.

Shikigami 3 would be on the 360 in the US, but Microsoft turned Aksys down.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2009
    CliffyB loves the HD systems because those two platforms have generated a market for middleware solutions and licensed engines; something CliffyB's company thrives on.

There has been plenty of interest from developers in working on the Wii. EA and Activision and all the big boys like Capcom and Ubisoft and Konami and so forth are jumping on the Wii wagon, but so are the smaller guys like Atlus, Platinum Games, Grasshopper, SNK, WayForward, Xseed, Aksys, D3, Telltale and so are the mid guys like Sega and Tecmo and so forth. We've gotten a lot of great games for the Wii from all of these groups, many of them Wii exclusive.

Also, speaking of companies that make money licensing engines, John Carmack has recently expressed interest in designing and developing a Wii game. Will it come to fruition? Who knows, but the interest is there.

i am completely certain that in two years form now i wont have a single complaint about what im going to play next on the system. howevere here and now and for the rest of 2009 it looks grim.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    edited March 2009

A game's budget is directly linked to its length? Really? Wow. And again, if they're not bad games, why complain about a drought? These two came out very recently, plus kororinpa 2 (I believe it's out in US right?) as well as Pikmin Play Control, which I realize is an enhanced port.

not LENGTH, its linked to the amount of content.

and actually, usually you have two things to pay for during development, the engine and the content. however, the costs for engines on the wii are extremly low, devkits and libraries are cheap and most studios have access to code they developed for the gamecube. as such it becomes even more of an insult if a game doesnt provide enough content. and the same goes for deadly creatures by the way.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

That's silly reasoning, when 95% of FPSs can be beat in a handful of hours.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2009

i am completely certain that in two years form now i wont have a single complaint about what im going to play next on the system. howevere here and now and for the rest of 2009 it looks grim.

I don't want to make any sort of list war, but Punch Out, Excitebots, Sin & Punishment 2, The Conduit, Monster Hunter 3 and Muramasa to name a few don't interest you?

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:

edited March 2009

I only glossed over it in my other post, but those are mostly Japanese devs. It's fine for me since I like Japanese games, but I kind of see the paths diverging at this point. Western devs see pushing the hardware as the most logical way to make a game better, whereas Japanese ones have typically been more open to expanding the experience in other ways.

We're going to see some neat stuff for the Wii coming down the pipe, to be sure. But I'll believe that Western gamers and devs are really on board once I see that id game you referred to and see that it has received the attention and care that Carmack would give to any other project, and that it isn't just a side-project that he threw together on weekends while making RAGE.

Ultimanecat on
    edited March 2009

That's silly reasoning, when 95% of FPSs can be beat in a handful of hours.

Call of Duty 4, they didn't put any money into that game. I can beat it in like 4 hours or something.

slash000 on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Well then, Heavenly Sword is exceptionally fucked because that games content amounts to throwing hats at switches, the odd QTE and some arena fights :P

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited March 2009
    Shoot, my favorite Wii game is roughly 45 minutes long.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2009

and actually, usually you have two things to pay for during development, the engine and the content. however, the costs for engines on the wii are extremly low, devkits and libraries are cheap and most studios have access to code they developed for the gamecube. as such it becomes even more of an insult if a game doesnt provide enough content. and the same goes for deadly creatures by the way.
    They pay for content? Like something that's bought in a store? That's just awesome. Can't say much about MadWorld yet, but HotD has a lot of content by the way. Maybe they bought it in a grocery store.

The problem with a lot of devs, mainly western is that they bet on the wrong horse early on and now they're playing catch up, I know this has been said lots of times, but it's the biggest cause of the appauling support some devs gave/give the Wii.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:

edited March 2009
    Some devs built a business around the latest tech. These companies will continue with the HD consoles since that is their business. Others are not built upon a foundation of cutting the technical edge, whether by design or because they aren't stuck with a single narrow business direction or because they're niche and simply cannot afford the expensive bleeding edge stuff. Some companies focused on the bleeding edge simply will never go with the Wii. That's fine. But it doesn't preclude a great deal of really good support, especially from small to mid level publishers/developers, as well as big guys large enough to support everything and support it all well.

slash000 on
    edited March 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »

Well then, Heavenly Sword is exceptionally fucked because that games content amounts to throwing hats at switches, the odd QTE and some arena fights :P

Yep. Heavenly Sword is clearly one of the least expensive games to produce this generation. Clocking in at under 6 hours, it clearly cannot have enough content by virtue of its length in order to have cost anything to produce. Art and audio assets and a brand new engine as well as hired voice and directing talent for the game? Didn't cost hardly a dime, since all of those assets and man-hours and talent only produced enough content for 6 hours, which, clearly, could not have been much. Or else the game's length would have been longer to show for it.

Also, Mirror's Edge cost nothing to make either. Another game coming in at under 6 hours, with a ton of art assets and a new engine, this game clearly could not have cost much to make considering its content couldn't fill a 6+ hour playthrough. Dirt cheap to make I tell you.

slash000 on
  • BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm using this thread as an excuse to go on a rant.

I hate my fucking Wii. The library is so shitty that I haven't touched it in 9 months. Beyond that, every game that's on the Wii is good despite the fact that it's on the Wii. Imagine Smash Bros. with XBL support. Wii Sports with leaderboards. Super Mario Galaxy with DLC maps. Metroid Prime 3 with HD graphics. Fuck the Wii for making me play shittier versions of these games than would have existed if Nintendo went multiplatform.

Brym on
    edited March 2009
    Brym wrote: »

I hate my fucking Wii. The library is so shitty that I haven't touched it in 9 months. Beyond that, every game that's on the Wii is good despite the fact that it's on the Wii. Imagine Smash Bros. with XBL support. Wii Sports with leaderboards. Super Mario Galaxy with DLC maps. Metroid Prime 3 with HD graphics. Fuck the Wii for making me play shittier versions of these games than would have existed if Nintendo went multiplatform.

What everyone here wants to know is: is it gathering dust?

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:

• VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think we've had this theory ever since the Wii was released. Everyone would get tired of it and move onto the HD systems. Then, year after year, the Wii has been out of stock and selling at an alarming rate. I understand "hardcore" gamers are somehow offended that casual gamers like to play games, too. But the market is different now. The Wii brought on a whole slew of new users and they aren't even interested in hardcore games. And they're buying product. Lots of it.

I think we need to get over ourselves as hardcore gamers and realize the new market is just as strong (maybe even stronger) than our own. Nintendo managed to bring people in and their sticking with it. It doesn't matter how we feel about it.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
    edited March 2009

Prime 3 would be not as awesome with a gamepad. Wii Sports would be shitty with a gamepad. I'd argue that the 360/PS3 would make both of these games shitty versions compared to their Wii iterations.

Why don't you just sell your Wii? You could probably break even on it.

Also, why haven't you touched it in 9 months? Good shit has come out. Most recently MadWorld. Probably because you don't want to play it for some psychological reason. Perhaps you do not want to play good games on it to justify not using it, in a strange circular logic kind of way.

Of course it is! The real question is: How many inches of dust has it gathered!?

slash000 on
    edited March 2009

Of course it is! The real question is: How many inches of dust has it gathered!?

The plot thickens!

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:

• desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I would ask you: Do you think the cup and ball bubble has burst?

Being the owner of a cup, and a ball, I am very torn on the platform itself. The one game I have that I enjoy (Putting the ball into the cup 2008 edition) is awesome, but the system seems to have a disproportionately high amount of worst-in-class shovel ware (the ball in the cup 2009 edition for instance). The game library is incredibly weak, and I wonder if that is starting to catch up to Cup and Ball Corporation. The shiny "Oh wow, I can put the ball into the cup" feeling is starting to wear off, and people are starting to demand content that isn't paper-cup thin.

There are other factors as well. Most of the world is in a pretty nasty recession right now, so people don't have the discretionary income to go buy a new cup and ball system. People who want a cup and ball may already have one, as the whole cup and ball craze seems to have died down. I remember a year ago 50 year old co-workers of mine were gushing about their cup and ball or how they were trying to find a cup and ball, but that seems to have all died down.

I had to do this. I am sorry.

desperaterobots on
    edited March 2009

I hate my fucking wife. Her appearance is so shitty that I haven't touched her in 9 months. Beyond that, every thing that's on my wife is good despite the fact that it's on my wife. Imagine nailing her if she had epic DD tits. Her liking sports without having to explain everything. Going on vacation without having to visit the in-laws. Not getting nagged by her stupid grating voice. Fuck my wife for making me put up with shittier versions of those things than would have existed if my wife was super-hot and not an annoying twat.

Sometimes we should probably just be happy with what we have.

Ultimanecat on
This discussion has been closed.