Due to a security update, you may have to reset your password. Don’t panic, nothing has gone wrong and your password is safe. If you don’t have access to that email, send Tube a message at [email protected] More info here: https://status.vanillaforums.com/incidents/2zdqxf3bt7mj
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[D&D 4E] King of the Trollhaunt Warrens - Game Thread

145679

Posts

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "Looks like a tree to me, Jack. But I do believe it is in the right direction."

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You did just fine, FC. Think of this skill challenge as a travel montage. Other skill challenges might be things like an urban chase with lots of Athletics, Acrobatics and Endurance checks, or debating the terms of an ally's release using Diplomacy, Bluff and Intimidation. It provides a framework for deciding at what point you succeed or fail at a roleplay-type scenario.

    Edgil - 1 Nature Success
    Aziz - 1 Endurance Success
    Dardek - 1 Endurance Success, 1 Perception Success
    Jack - 1 Endurance Success, 1 Perception Success

    While everyone except Edgil are not exceptional naturalists, your sharp eyes and "We Can Do It!" Attitude see you through the trollmaw without encountering anything dangerous.

    (You got 6 Successes and no failures that mattered. Aziz' history check also raised your total possible successes from Endurance from 2 to 3, providing you with enough successes to complete the challenge.)

    Near the beginning of your third day of travel...

    In a dank mass of thickets among steep hills, you come across a half-sunken road of stone blocks. The road leads to a 20-foot-tall standing stone carved with poorly chiseled runes.

    The ancient runes are in the Davek (Dwarven, Giant) script. They read:
    “This stone I raise to mark my kingdom. All that lies within fifty leagues of this spot belongs to me and those kings who come after me. You stand now in the land of Vard, first King of Vardar.”

    The road continues for another two hundred paces, following a sluggish stream. It ends at a large, heavily overgrown cave. The stream flows into the cave through jagged pillars of stone that resemble great fangs in a gigantic maw. A path on its left bank ends in darkness.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Also: 500xp to each of you for successfully finding the Trollhaunt Warrens

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dardek lets out a gruff half chuckle and spits.

    "Just like a monster to claim things it never earned."

    Inx on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "I take it something fascinating and linguistic is happening... and I am at a total loss, friend Dardek."

    "Ha! That you are."

    The dwarf proceeded to translate the stone aloud to the group. Aziz exposed his teeth in a snarl.

    "Within fifty leagues. Phah! Cac on their fifty leagues! I'd say we shall walk straight into the mouth of this abomination and pull out it's insolent tongue. Let's do it for Moonstair, for their fallen leader, and for our sullied honor!"

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "Agreed! I bet these things don't even know how to measure fifty leagues."

    Inx on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The end of the path is blocked by a sturdy gate of thick timbers anchored to the wall of the cave. To the right of the gate, the stream f lows sluggishly through the fanglike stone pillars, disappearing into the darkness beyond. To the left, you can see a narrow window slit looking down on the approach to the cave mouth.

    View-of-the-Trollmaw.png

    MAP!
    Encounter-W1-The-Trollmaw-Round-1a.png

    Arrange yourself how you'd like and roll initiative. Let me know how you'd like to approach the Trollmaw and it's denizen.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Initiative. (1d20+6=17)

    Whichever way we go, Edgil will take up the rear.

    Denada on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "I say we head for that gate... seems clear enough. However, we might be wiser to keep the open ground for ourselves and try to hold them between the rocks and the stream. Dardek, Jack, and myself could hold the line and let Edgil and Siali strike from behind. I'm sure that Edgil can give them a good reason to come out after us."

    Aziz scratched the bristles at his chin for a moment.

    "What say you, Siali? I trust your powers of observation above my own. Perhaps you can see something I do not."

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jack nods his head in agreement with Aziz and draws his sword.
    Initiative: 1d20+7= 22

    Foolish Chaos on
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Perception (1d20+5=13) this is me looking around the cave for anything other than you have described...
    Initiative (1d20+11=12)... boo.
    Stealth (1d20+20=26)
    Perception (1d20+5=20) this is me looking through the slit...
    also, how fast is the water running/how deep is it? are the stone teeth like the top of a waterfall?

    Siali pauses and looks around the cave. "I dont think there is much else to see," she replies quietly to Aziz, "but let me get a closer look." She quietly walks to the slit to the left and attempts to look in to the other side...

    psolms on
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dardek nodded, surveying the scene.

    "Everyone try to keep close to me, so I might ensure your survival."

    Inx on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Through the narrow window slit, you spy a Trodlodyte keeping watch, but due to a well-timed sneeze on his part, he doesn't see you looking through at him.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The stream is about 5 feet deep, and counts as difficult terrain for purposes of movement. The natural stone pillars (the teeth) block movement along the stream, but an agile person or a trained acrobat might be able to squeeze through them without too much trouble, much less trouble for a small-sized character

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    interestingly enough, i am both an agile person and a trained acrobat :P

    Siali quietly returns to the group. "There is someone keeping watch, my guess is that he will start firing arrows or bolts through the slot as soon as we make ourselves known."

    psolms on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So how are you guys going to approach?

    Keep in mind, while out of character you guys can see where everyone is inside because I'm lazy, there's not a line of sight to the inside, so it's not just a matter of sending Edgil up to the door and dropping Scorching Bursts on the trolls :)

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Encounter-W1-The-Trollmaw-Round-1b.png

    As you openly approach the doors, You hear muted voices speaking brief ly in rasping snarls. A sliding panel in the gate opens. You see an immense troll with beady dark eyes looking out at you. “Stoopid hoomans. Wha choo wand?” it rumbles in broken Common.
    And yea, he calls you all humans even though you are mostly not human

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "We're here to see Skalmad, of course. We've got something very important for him."

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Wot you have?"

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Show him, Jack."

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And here I was hoping you'd talk you way in :)

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Yes, this is what we have for Skalmad!" Jack proclaims, brandishing his blade.

    With that, jack moves towards the door, as if to knock it down. He gets a few feet before tripping over some loose stone and only nicking the door with his huge body before crashing to the floor.

    "Damn..."
    Strength Check: 1d20+6 = 9 D:

    Foolish Chaos on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The trolls guffaw. "HAH HAH HAH. Stoopid metal hooman! Flee stoopid hoomans! Runs away now, little stoopid hooman! Unless youse wanna be lunch! Not very filling, I betcha! Hahaha!"

    The view port slides shut, leaving you unsure of what's going on inside.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Well," Siali adds, sarcasticly, "at least they're hospitable..."

    psolms on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "I have an idea!" Edgil proclaims. "Let's just ask for the sword back! Maybe Skalmad is done with it."

    Denada on
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dardek blinked, and then spoke up.

    "All of you, step back. I've got a bad idea."

    He rubbed himself and his armor with dirt, and make a general mess of himself. He gestured for the others to try and hide as he knocked on the door and called out in Dwarven.

    "OY, OPEN UP YOU SODS!"

    Inx on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Wot yoo want, small hooman?"

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dardek gritted his teeth and slammed his hammer into the ground.

    "OI'M 'ERE TA SEE SKALM'D! WANTS ME TA APPRAISE A SWORD OR SUMMAT. LEMME IN ALREDDY YA GITS!"

    Inx on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gimmie a bluff check to go along with that :)

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Inx on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Skalmad say no let no one in..."

    You get the impression he's not completely convinced of this anymore, though.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "WELL, I AIN'T NO ONE! ME NAME'S IRONROD, DORDOK IRONROD. KILLIN'S ME GAME. KILLIN' AND SMITHIN'. AND APPRAISIN'. I PLAY LOTSA GAMES."

    He scratched his chin.

    "SKALM'D PROLLY JUST WANTS YOU LOT TO KEEP OUT THE RIFFRAFF, LIKE DEM HOOMANS WHAT LEFT HERE A FEW MINUTES ERGO, NOT A FINE GENTL'MAN LIKE MESELF. NOW OPEN UP, YER GINGER BASTARDS, OR I'LL OPEN IT MESELF! I GOT ME A SWORD TER LOOK AT!"

    Inx on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I should probably ask what the rest of you are planning on doing if they open the door. Bum Rush?

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    probably something involving a suprise dagger right between the eyes...

    psolms on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    psolms wrote: »
    probably something involving a suprise dagger right between the eyes...

    And scorching. Possibly an entire burst of scorching.

    Denada on
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dardek is entirely playing it by ear. He's not sure if he's going to try to keep up the charade once the door is open or not.

    Inx on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sorry for the delay. I was not home for more than a few minutes or to sleep since Thursday afternoon.

    The door of the Trollmaw swings open, the Trolls cautiously urge Dardek forward.

    "You wait in here, small hooman. We get Skalmad."

    I have positioned everyone at a point where it's reasonable that you were out of view of the viewport of the door and the watchmen in the back. You are going to get a surprise round to do as you like with.

    Map!
    Encounter-W1-The-Trollmaw-Round-1c.png

    Encounter Information!
    :arrow: Dardek - Status: None - HP: 86/86 AC 29 F 19 R 19
    Marrowmaw Impaler A Status: None - HP 81/81 - AC 24; F 24, R 21, W 20, PP 20; See Stench Aura
    Marrowmaw Impaler B Status: None - HP 81/81 - AC 24; F 24, R 21, W 20, PP 20; See Stench Aura
    Marrowmaw Impaler B Status: None - HP 81/81 - AC 24; F 24, R 21, W 20, PP 20; See Stench Aura
    Jack - Status: Non - HP: Current HP: 93/93 - AC 25; F 25; R 19; W 19
    Edgil - Status: None - HP Current HP: 64/64 AC 23; F 20, R 24, W 21, W 20
    Warren Troll A Status: None - HP 120/120 - AC 22; F 23, R 20, W 19, PP 22;
    Warren Troll B Status: None - HP 120/120 - AC 22; F 23, R 20, W 19, PP 22;
    Warren Troll C Status: None - HP 120/120 - AC 22; F 23, R 20, W 19, PP 22;
    Siali - Status: None - HP 75/75 - AC 23; F 18, R 22, W 20, PP 15
    Aziz - Status: None HP: 76/76, AC 29; F 24, R 23, W 22

    Stench Aura - The Green Aura in Burst 1 around the Trogs confers a -2 Penalty to Attack Rolls to living creatures within the aura.

    Features of the Area
    • Illumination: Bright light. The trolls place torches in wall sconces when they are on guard duty. No daylight enters the cavern from outside.
    • Ceiling: The rough stone ceiling rises to a height of 25 feet.
    • Stream: The stream is 5 feet deep and is each stream square is considered to be difficult terrain for purposes of movement. Characters in the water gain cover (–2 to attack rolls) except against attacks from submerged enemies. Fighting in the water imposes a –2 penalty to attack rolls except with spears and crossbows.
    • Natural Stone Pillars: These block movement along the stream. A character can squeeze through by using a move action and succeeding on a DC 16 Acrobatics check. Small characters gain a +4 bonus on the check. Large characters cannot squeeze between these pillars.
    • Escarpment: This steep slope rises to a ledge 10 feet above the f loor. It can be scaled with a DC 15 Athletics check.
    • Log Bridge: A tree trunk has been planed f lat on one side to fashion a working but slightly precarious bridge (Acrobatics DC 10 to cross). The bridge is 10 feet above the stream, at the same level as the ledge. The bridge can be pushed off the ledge and into the stream as a standard action.
    • Window Slit: The window slit offers superior cover (–5 to attack rolls) against attacks from outside. The guards cannot attack out of it, since they don’t have suitable weapons to make such attacks.
    • Wooden Gate: The gate is hinged to swing out from the north side. A small sliding panel that opens from the inside allows line of sight but grants superior cover. The gate is secured by a heavy wooden bar (a minor action to lift from the inside). The barred gate can be wrenched open with a successful DC 26 Strength check, or its hinge pins can be slid free with a DC 21 Thievery check. The gate has AC 4, Fortitude 12, Ref lex 4, and 40 hit points.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Assuming the trolls were going to just let him in, Dardek shoulders past the troll at the door, and moves to wait by the stairs, grumbling to himself.
    Move to P12 and wait to see what happens.

    Inx on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Next Up: Jack! Assuming you want to act.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jack looks back to his friends, as if waiting for instruction. But not wanting the door to once again close and shut his dwarf buddy inside, he takes action, running into view and charging the troll guard, knocking him away from the door.
    Move up and bullrush the troll. 1d20+11 = 23 Perfect!

    The troll moves one square back and Jack now occupies square K14

    Foolish Chaos on
Sign In or Register to comment.