As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Updated- Steampunk Captain and a birdy

FloofyFloofy Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Artist's Corner
Three bits of recent work, I could really do with some crits as my Uni course seems not to give two shits about actual drawing (it's a visual communication illustration/animation type deal). I need to get away from having my character drawings float in the middle of nothing.

A demon girl plays violin:
Mirriam.jpg

Speedy picture, playing around with character ideas for a short horror comic:
Gentleman.jpg

My attempt to understand Illustrator and the horrors of vectors:
Nocturne.jpg

Floofy on

• Options
    Doctor PainDoctor Pain Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    i like the first one, it has class, the feet look bad though.

Doctor Pain on
    I FUCKING HATE SIGNATURES.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I know, they look sort of like sacks loosely attached at the ankles. I need to do some foot/shoe studies really.

Floofy on
  • Options
    DONGDONG Registered User new member
    edited December 2006
    Two words: freaky.

DONG on
    "When I think about you I touch myself."
  • Options
    NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I like the first one, but her left hand is bugging me. It doesn't seem to be working the neck of a violin like one would actually play the violin. It just seems to be grabbing it.

But aside from that and the ankle comments already made, I like it.

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    falconirefalconire Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The second one does it for me. You have some serious skill with body language. Nice.

falconire on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Third one rocks.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Typography assignment, self-portrait using Garamond and only the letters from my first name. Typography is like one massive headache. Done in Illustrator.

Face3.jpg

Not much clue what I'm doing, still experimenting, very much a WIP at the moment.

Floofy on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I really like what you did with the face. The e's in the eyes, and the I on the chin are awesome. The hair is bugging me though. The overlapping text really causes some awkward spaces, especially below her chin. Maybe try overlapping text of different opacities?

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Trying to simplify it down some more:

Face4.jpg

Floofy on
  • Options
    The_Indigo_ApocalypseThe_Indigo_Apocalypse Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I like the demon violinist, but being a violinist myself, there are some things that pain me about this drawing, though it is quite exceptional.

The left hand at the wrist, who I saw some one else mentioned, is sticking out too far. Her wrist should be aligned with her arm, making one smooth sweeping line.

The top of the violin also looks flat, which is inaccurate. They actually bulge out slightly toward the middle. Her violin is also lacking a proper bridge, which in turn makes the strings lie flat--and at that angle, you should definitely be able to see the curve of the strings. It's also too close to the bottom of the violin, it should be slightly closer to the middle of the space between the fingerboard and the tailpiece.

Also, the bow looks a little off. Considering the angle she's holding it at, you shouldn't be able to see any detail at the tip of the bow, it should just look like one solid line. Her grip is also a little too spread out, but it's believable enough that it doesn't bother me quite as much as everything else--it just looks slightly awkward and hard to play in (especially quickly).

Oh, I was just wondering as well, shouldn't her tail be casting some sort of shadow since it's infront of her with full lighting on it?
    [/ranting]

I love that Nocturne picture, as well as your self portrait. Nicely done! :D

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Floofy wrote:
    Typography assignment, self-portrait using Garamond and only the letters from my first name. Typography is like one massive headache. Done in Illustrator.

Does it have to be a contour, or can you make it into a value drawing?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Floofy wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. The simplicity of the facial details seems to work, but there's confusion in the hair and shoulder areas. I could see creating value with really rigorous placement of the different type sizes and rotations. Or maybe some texture work with densely overlapping black and purple characters. I dunno. Something to resolve that area...

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited December 2006

Either/or, the tutor only set the follow constraints: All in Garamond, and using only the letter from our first names (gold star to anyone that figures out my first name, lol). I agree the shoulder needs something to resolve it, I'm a bit cautious about starting to layer up texture, though, because it'd have to be applied throughout the pic to keep a sense of balance, and I only have until Friday to complete it.

Floofy on
  • Options
    toiletplumbertoiletplumber Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Debie? anyway I love the vector art. I have yet to use any Illustraitor but it looks good. I think it would be interesting to see it in different font colors maybe to accent the hair for the self portaid from words. Probably have to see the original pic before I could say more.

toiletplumber on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Floofy wrote:

Either/or, the tutor only set the follow constraints: All in Garamond, and using only the letter from our first names (gold star to anyone that figures out my first name, lol). I agree the shoulder needs something to resolve it, I'm a bit cautious about starting to layer up texture, though, because it'd have to be applied throughout the pic to keep a sense of balance, and I only have until Friday to complete it.

Shit, it won't take nearly that long. Use an evening to try it out, see if you like it.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    (ohms)Crunchy(ohms)Crunchy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    When I was in College taking Graphic Design, everyone hated Typography. But we would have hated it even more trying to make a self portrait.

Nice job, very impressive.

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    A new piece of personal work. Based off some older fairy stories when they were all badass seducing halfbreed-child-stealing armour-wearing creepy bastards and the Victorians hadn't made them 1 foot high and twinkly. Working on making it all colourfied now.

Faeriebig.jpg

Floofy on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    So no feedback re: Fairies? Better than being ripped into, I guess?

Some more University work. We had to chose one song and do two illustrations for it digitally: one vector, one raster based. Plus a bunch of support bullshit research. Ahh. Got to love Uni.

Going on a life drawing elective next semester, which will be a brilliant change from the usual graphicsy bollocks.

The Song's by muse, curious if people can figure out which one it is, and if so, if it 'fits'?

fivea.jpg

BandH.jpg

Floofy on
  • Options
    StealthNachosStealthNachos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't like your fantasy stuff very much (personally I just don't care for the style used, and there are a few glaring anatomy issues) but the letter portrait, along with the last one on the most recent post (especially that one), are brilliant.

StealthNachos on
    I tend to ramble.
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I absolutely love the texture in that first collage-thing in the last post. The second image is nice too...but damn is that first one spiffy.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Butterflies and Hurricanes, ya?
    They both look very nice, it'll be cool to see your life drawing work, as well.

Mr. Fahrenheit on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i really really like the feel of the purple cloud like one...yeah.
    very nice

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Butterflies and Hurricanes, ya?
    They both look very nice, it'll be cool to see your life drawing work, as well.

Was going to be my guess though the second one makes me thing of Thoughts of a Dying Athiest

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, it's butterflies and hurricanes. The raster based (ie photoshop) was along the theme of "Change, everthing you are"- butterflies because of their metamorphosis (also because of the title) and the germinating seed. Whereas the vector was more about the theme of the change one person can bring about. And also trying to represent visually that fucking awesome piano solo. Basically one small thing flourishing into a multitude if possibilities, which neatly encapsulates the themes of change, chaos theory and personal responsibility in the whole song.

Most of the textures were sourced from http://resurgere.deviantart.com/ who has some absoloutely amazing high res stock textures.

Floofy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    More work!

My very first paid commission! Whoo!May do more steam punky type art in future.

CaptainMorgansteampunk.jpg

Anniversary present for my boyfriend. He's kept snakes several times before, there his favourite animal, and at the time we were hand rearing an orphaned crow. Had it engraved onto a hipflask and it look pretty damn good.

anniversary.jpg

Floofy on
  • Options
    RusticCreatureRusticCreature Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I like your work; it has class to it. But you need to work on your figures more. The clothing is rather wonky and your anatomy could use some work. The arms are too short, the face is lopsided and the whole figure seems stiff. Study up on anatomy, and do some gesture drawings. You should also do some studies on how cloth folds and wrinkles.

Right now, your work reminds me of early monet drawings. There's clearly potential there, and I love your ideas. With some more practice I could see your compositions turned into full fledged paintings. So, yeah. Keep it up.

RusticCreature on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Cheers for the crit, first off. People are refreshingly direct here.

Yeah, there's some pretty bad anatomy issues, especially round the legs. It had to be based off one photo ref, which wasn't particularly suitable (blurry and too dark)- basically the guy wanted me to take the photo and make him a steampunky captain. He was thrilled with the final piece, so I still consider it a success, but there's lots I'd do differently now.

I've actually been doing a lot of life drawing since I began this commission, and I've come a pretty long way in about five weeks. I'll have to find some way to get them onto the pc to show you (they're pretty big, A1 for the finished and A3 sketchbook).

Floofy on
  • Options
    Mr. H.G. BlobMr. H.G. Blob Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DEBBIE!

Mr. H.G. Blob on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Um?

Floofy on