As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finding Greener Products

Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey there guys. I am starting to move towards a more green lifestyle and one area that I know is always a pitfall is the bathroom. Recycling plastic bags is good and all but if you get your shaving cream from a can that has a butane propellant to expel the chemical created 'cream', well, you really aren't making much of a change for the best... So what have I done? I went out and bought some Williams shaving soap, and a boar bristle brush... Yeah yeah, I know its boar hair, but then again these brushes last a while and should I upgrade to a real one like badger hair, with proper maintenance, it will probably last me a few decades. :3

So to me, I think that is one decision that helps. However, I am still beside myself with a bunch of other products. Recently I began experimenting with products for my hair. I am getting sick of gel so I have begun to phase that out with Axe hair 'cream' and that product worked alright, got some good results so I also picked up the Axe Pomade but it is tricky to get to look right. I keep experimenting with it though but whats the point, neither product is really green or natural or sustainable. Now I know pomades are made of good ole petroleum so it will be kinda tricky to find a greener product but who knows, do you guys have any suggestions?

Same thing with Shampoo. Currently I use a salon type shampoo called "Redkin Go Clean" for men. It works really nice but its not particularly green and it is expensive... There is a fairly good brand called Every Man Jack from Target that has some real good products in their line up and they compare really well to the salon type stuff but for a fraction of the price. Problem is, these Every Man Jack items are not particularly green... but they seem to cut out lots of unnecessary chemicals and bad stuff from their products like 'tallow' which is beef fat. :X

Next I have been looking at body soaps. I have been using the Every Man Jack stuff for quite a while and I am satisfied with the quality but again, if something greener can be found, even better. I've been looking at Method's Body wash and bars. Expensive and I am not sure as to how well they work.

Thing is, I want to go greener but I've tried other products and they have just ended up being complete crap... I hate to say it like that because I sound selfish complaining about something that is organic and sustainable, but if it doesn't work, well then what the fuck is the point? So if you guys have any recommendations, it would be awesome.

TL;DR: So basically I have a brand for most everything in the bathroom that is high quality and less chemical ridden than the other usual stuff but I am curious if you guys can help me find good green replacements. Ordering stuff from the web can be tricky because there is a lot of stuff that just has ORGANIC and ALL NATURAL and tags labelled all over them but its hard to catch if they are actually any good.

Lucky Cynic on

• Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Where do you live? If there's one near you, I'm a big fan of Lush products. It's a bit on the expensive side (it's not just bath products but fancy bath products), but all of their stuff is fantastic and very eco-friendly. They have a whole bunch of bar soaps and shampoos, and their bar hair conditioner ('Jungle') doubles as a fantastic shaving lather.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I second the Lush recommendation. They generally have sales on something going so you can generally pick something up on the cheap. Or be like me and have a wife that works there.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Pricey, but cool. Any other suggestions guys? I am slowly trying to rework everything to be better and better where I can improve. Probably the next products to consider would be to get pretty much everything from 7th generation. You know, recycled fiber toilet paper, non bleached paper towels, etc.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Straight razors are the most green razor you can use, safety razors following.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Straight razors are the most green razor you can use, safety razors following.

Yeah but safety razors still use the metals in the razors, which seemed to have gone from typical metals to include such pricey shit like Platinum with like no added benefit. =/

But I digress, I have shaving well on its way I think and I am very firmly planted in enjoying 2 face washing products from Every Man Jack, everything else is up for grabs should I find a better alternative. :3

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You don't have to use the platinum blades. Why is that even bad? If you're going to shave, metal will have to be used somewhere.
    If were making the green argument, I only throw away one blade from my safety razor a week vs 5 from a fusion.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You don't have to use the platinum blades. Why is that even bad? If you're going to shave, metal will have to be used somewhere.
    If were making the green argument, I only throw away one blade from my safety razor a week vs 5 from a fusion.

Or you can not throw any away at all by just having a straight razor.

My point was though that Shaving has some very green alternatives to the defacto shave that typical americans are used to. But for Shampoos, and other such items, not so much... Should I really just look for whatever says "VEGAN" or "ORGANIC" on the label? That's all it ends up boiling down to which kind of leaves me unsure about some products. :<

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I see a lot of stuff made from goat's milk. I never used it, but it does exist...

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    My point was though that Shaving has some very green alternatives to the defacto shave that typical americans are used to. But for Shampoos, and other such items, not so much... Should I really just look for whatever says "VEGAN" or "ORGANIC" on the label? That's all it ends up boiling down to which kind of leaves me unsure about some products. :<
    This is something I'd have to strongly recommend Lush for then. Their shampoos are, quite simply, some of the greenest not only by way of having plenty of vegetarian and vegan, but also because many come in bar form and skip the need to use plastic bottles.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    This is something I'd have to strongly recommend Lush for then. Their shampoos are, quite simply, some of the greenest not only by way of having plenty of vegetarian and vegan, but also because many come in bar form and skip the need to use plastic bottles.

Besides being green, I am also curious as to how good they are. I guess I am just spoiled but the every man jack stuff does a damn good job of making my hair nice and shiny and clean. I've tried other "organic" products and they are just such poor performers that it makes me go, "well what's the use..."

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm pretty low maintenance so I just use their shampoo/conditioner bar most of the time. But once a week I use their Rehab shampoo and Retread conditioner to get my hair back to soft and dandruff free. My wife uses a lot of the other shampoo and conditioner bars and her hair's great. Also worth note if the Lush near you is like our local store, you can return containers for them to recycle and get free products for doing so. There's one about nine miles from you and I'd strongly recommend going by and talking to the clerks there. They're often quite knowledgeable and should be more than happy to give you free samples.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    WHY ARE YOU STALKING MEEE!?

No yeah I saw that one at Woodfield mall. Not sure exactly where it is but it is kinda far but it seems like a worthy place to check out along side The Body Shop. I guess now I just have to derive my own opinions from different products and see how much I like one thing vs another. Thanks. :3

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Or you can not throw any away at all by just having a straight razor.

following this logic... you should be:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Making-Your-Own-Herbal-Hair-Shampoo&id=31263

Xantus on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you want some soap that might be easier to get than Lush, you could always try Dr. Bronner's. Bar soap is great for in the shower, and you can use the liquid stuff to clean (and use the label for reading material when you're in the bathroom).

I've also tried and liked Giovanni shampoos/conditioners in the past, but I suspect I've got a different hairstyle than you. ;-)

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Quid wrote: »

Besides being green, I am also curious as to how good they are. I guess I am just spoiled but the every man jack stuff does a damn good job of making my hair nice and shiny and clean. I've tried other "organic" products and they are just such poor performers that it makes me go, "well what's the use..."
    I really like the Lush shampoo bars. I have very fine, straight hair, and it does a good job of cleaning my hair without making it too greasy or dragging it down as heavier shampoos do. You'll have to give your hair 2-3 days to adjust to it, though.

Janson on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Since you're being extremely "green" obsessed it seems, you'll want to avoid ordering these products online, since you're creating a larger carbon footprint having it all shipped to your doorstep.

For shampoos and soaps, have you checked out the camping section of your local department store? They usually have eco-friendly products without harmful chemicals, since it all gets washed into lakes/streams.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I uh, wasn't trying to sound die hard green, its just there are a lot of products out there and I want to find the best ones. I stopped by a local mall today and while it was a bit far, I was able to check out lush products which were pretty damn pricey but I am thinking of giving a few of their products a test run.

There was a Body Shop nearby so I checked them out and while they are not as green, they did provide some good shaving products like a really damn nice brush, actual lathering soap and balm. None of which were 100% organic but they are fairly green and with considerably less chemicals than other brands.

I will of course have to mix and match stuff to get best results...

Current I am pondering soaps and shampoos from Lush, shaving stuff from Body Shop, and my general facial/acne stuff can still come from Every Man Jack because their shit just is superb. :P

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If there's a co op or vegetarian supermarket near where you live, I'd go check out their health/beauty/cleaning supplies.

Here's some of the stuff I've liked.

Shaving Cream: Kiss My Face
    This comes in a standard pump bottle (think liquid handsoap). I like it a lot and the funny thing is after living with my roommate for a while I've noticed that she's buying it now too. I guess she ran out one day and used mine and liked it enough that it's now the brand she buys. I use the mint.

Shampoo: Nature's Gate
    I'm not too picky on shampoos. However, I'm a huge fan of the smell of their Jojoba shampoo. It makes me want to never stop washing my hair.

Body Soap: Dr. Bronner's
    This is just some sort of generic liquid soap. This liquid soap isn't very viscous. So, if you're looking for more of a gel, I'd stay away. It's inexpensive and the almond one, well smells like almonds. This is more hippie-ish than other stuff, so I don't think it's what you're looking for, but I had to post the link because of cool scientist guy in it.

Deodorant: Jason
    I use this. There's no aluminum. I used to use the Queen Helene Mint Julep but, that seems to have more alcohol in it (not that alcohol is bad or whatnot, it just evaporates fast).

Really, your best bet is to go to either a vegetarian supermarket or some sort of health food store (maybe Whole Foods has this stuff? I don't know, I tend to shy away from them and go to one of the few vegetarian supermarkets around here instead) and see what they have in terms of things like that. There's also all sorts of cleaning products made by Seventh Generation and Ecover. Those are pretty expensive in comparison, though. I'm sure all of those brands have products in each of the categories you mentioned.

I know this makes me sound like the biggest hippie. But, really, I'm not.

Edit: I just checked the store location link on the Kiss My Face site and it does look like Whole Foods carries it, so if you don't have a vegetarian supermarket near you, you can probably find some things there.

Edit2: It looks like some of these sites offer mixed product trial grab bags of things. So, if you want to try all sorts of stuff, you can get those and pick what you like.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If anyone has any question about Lush and the products/ethics/sourcing/green policies they can PM me since.. uh... I'm an MIT there. Seriously, the stuff seems pricey to some people but the quality of things like the shampoos and dacial cleaners means you need a lot less to make them effective and the products last for FOREVER. Seriously. Quid can attest to how much crap I have around the apartment.

You can get everything from soaps, deodorants, shampoos, facial cleansers, moisturisers, and more all custom suited to do different things for different people instead of some premade base with a bunch of scents added to them.

It's all vegetarian, 75% vegan, no animal testing, and we make a huge effort to be solid with no preservatives, and to use a lot of fair traded and ethically sourced products as well as a TON of essential oils as opposed to synthetic fragrances oils.

We can be a bit prideful too becuase before Lush was founded our founder used to work with The Body Shop's original founder and most of their recipes and formulas, especially some of the best sellers, were created by our founder. He sold them off to TBS to get money to start his own company.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If anyone has any question about Lush and the products/ethics/sourcing/green policies they can PM me since.. uh... I'm an MIT there. Seriously, the stuff seems pricey to some people but the quality of things like the shampoos and dacial cleaners means you need a lot less to make them effective and the products last for FOREVER. Seriously. Quid can attest to how much crap I have around the apartment.

You can get everything from soaps, deodorants, shampoos, facial cleansers, moisturisers, and more all custom suited to do different things for different people instead of some premade base with a bunch of scents added to them.

It's all vegetarian, 75% vegan, no animal testing, and we make a huge effort to be solid with no preservatives, and to use a lot of fair traded and ethically sourced products as well as a TON of essential oils as opposed to synthetic fragrances oils.

We can be a bit prideful too becuase before Lush was founded our founder used to work with The Body Shop's original founder and most of their recipes and formulas, especially some of the best sellers, were created by our founder. He sold them off to TBS to get money to start his own company.

Dude I worked at the Vancouver one!
    It's all pretty good stuff, though expensive without the staff discounts :<
    For natural stuff, Freeman Naturals is pretty on-par with Lush, I find and actually cheap
    It's non-scented save for the ingredients, and the ingredients smell goddamn delicious.
    You can find it at Fred Meyer.
    I recommend everything!!!

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I don't know why I forgot this before
    www.badgerandblade.com
    It's the men's shaving forum equivalent to Penny Arcade and AVSForums. They know their shit when it comes to men's grooming (not just shaving). Give a poke around there, make a thread, whatever, bunch of real good guys who can probably make awesome suggestions.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Were you talkijng cleaning too?

My grandmother uses pretty much nothing but vinegar water and bicarb for her cleaning needs. None of the crap that is in standard cleaners.

Bleach is also persona non grata - though I'd hate to live without it.

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    www.shaklee.com

it's the only company that is "environmentally neutral" (doesn't contribute at all to global warming) and everything on their site is green. I use a variety of their products. Cleaning stuff (works REALLY well), makeup (their mascara and eye pencils are the only ones I've tried that don't make my eyes burn), skin care, etc. it's all high quality and really great stuff.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't know what area you live in, but I live in a high concentration Mennonite and Dutch area. There is this Dutch couple that owns a local health food store, and they carry handmade natural soap, shampoo, and shaving soap. A great deal on price, and pretty environmentally friendly.

The Mennonites also run a small shop at a local farmer's market that they sell all natural stuff from. Plus some amazing free range eggs, and if you know them well enough they can sell you some raw milk.

Phil G. on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I also wanted to add that Alba Botanica's - http://www.albabotanica.com/ - stuff is gorgeous. Sadly they do come in plastic bottles, but the ingredients are great; all vegetarian, pretty much all natural, and no parabens which seems to be a rare thing when it comes to liquid-form shampoos and shower gels. And they smell delicious; all fruity.

Oh, and it's really hippyish, but http://www.fakeplasticfish.com/ has some really good ideas on how to reduce plastic consumption, and how to choose/look for natural alternatives. It's basically the blog of a woman who's tried to go plastic-free since 2007.

Janson on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pricey, but cool. Any other suggestions guys? I am slowly trying to rework everything to be better and better where I can improve. Probably the next products to consider would be to get pretty much everything from 7th generation. You know, recycled fiber toilet paper, non bleached paper towels, etc.

Why buy paper towels at all? Just use some rags.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Lurk wrote: »
    I see a lot of stuff made from goat's milk. I never used it, but it does exist...
    Its great if you have sensitive skin, but the stuff I've tried is a bit weaksauce, and its not like I'm super-greasy to start with.

For non-toiletries-related cleaning stuff, may I recommend the Spotless books? They're basically a compilation of cleaning tips from a long-running radio show here. Cliffs notes: you can clean almost anything with baking soda and/or vinegar.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    Since you're being extremely "green" obsessed it seems, you'll want to avoid ordering these products online, since you're creating a larger carbon footprint having it all shipped to your doorstep.
    Actually, removing the need for so many storefronts (power, water, signage, etc) balances it out pretty well, and I'd venture to guess makes it greener, since the transport infrastructure is already in place and being used for other deliveries.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg