Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Getting over akwardness

WallhitterWallhitter Registered User
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, there's this girl I go to school with. She's pretty cool, the type who tends to wear random combinations of clothing to school, I.E. old military jackets, jumpsuits, weird pink mesh gloves, heavy black boots, etc. We're friends, sort of. Admittedly I'm a touch akward, sometimes needlessly apologizing or acting a touch odd. So, the thing I'm asking is this...I need advice on not making an ass of myself around her. This isn't trying to get a date or anything, I just want to have a conversation or something. Get her to take me a little more seriously.

Wallhitter on

• JinnJinn Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    quit worrying about being awkward

Jinn on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Are you in high school or college? Punky/gothy types generally seek same. Essentially be confident and withhold approval, obvious interest. Be strange. It is very hard to have a conversation with somebody and not have obvious interest, so I generally give up. It helps if you dress like them. A non-gothy computer nerd will have trouble getting the archetype's respect, but a gothy one will just be a 'safe friend'.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Jinn wrote:
    quit worrying about being awkward

Yeah. Start a convo with a comment on her clothes...

example: "Hey, that shirt rules. Where the hell do you find your clothes?"

This will result in probably a bit of a discussion.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Slow down and take two seconds to think about what you're saying and you'll be fine.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Gafoto wrote:
    Slow down and take two seconds to think about what you're saying and you'll be fine.

Oh yeah, and whether your looking for a date or not,

in midst of conversation, don't look at her boobs.

Girls hate that.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Double DeuceDouble Deuce Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    kaliyama wrote:
    Punky/gothy types generally seek same. Essentially be confident and withhold approval, obvious interest. Be strange. It is very hard to have a conversation with somebody and not have obvious interest, so I generally give up. It helps if you dress like them. A non-gothy computer nerd will have trouble getting the archetype's respect, but a gothy one will just be a 'safe friend'.

You don't have to dress a certain way to date someone who dresses that way. I've seen lots of successful couples where their styles are quite different. Don't feel like you have to conform to someone else's style to get them to accept you.

And to the OP: Don't apologize. For anything. Unless you, you know, spill coffee all over her new boots or something. Don't apologize for being you. Be comfortable being yourself. She'll either dig you or she won't.

Double Deuce on