As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh, Sarah - How Low Will You Go?

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
You would think that the good governor of Alaska would realize that this shit wouldn't fly.

TL, DR version: Dem AK state senator resigned recently. AK law says that the governor must appoint a Dem to the position. Tradition is that party leadership in AK sends a list of candidates to the governor, and the governor selects one. The pit bull with lipstick decides to tell the Dems fuck you instead, and picks a "Democrat" who was a registered Republican several weeks ago. Shitstorm erupts, governor can't grasp why.

And that's not all the scandal that's been happening in the Palin household. We've all heard the "Bristol baby daddy fallout" drama, but recently there's been a scandal when she started the Iron Dog race decked out as a walking billboard for the company sponsoring her husband. Her rejection of stimulus funds isn't playing well with the Alaskan public. Not to mention that all those ethics woes come with a hefty legal bill as well.

The implosion of the woman that was seen as the frontrunner for the GOP nomination in 2012 in some circles is just impressive. At this point, I wonder if she can even get re-elected as governor, let alone become senator or any further asperations.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
AngelHedgie on

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Insert picardfacepalm.jpg here.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This isn't an implosion for a GOP candidate, it's just every day.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't know if I care much about the snowsuit thing.

Also apparently this person she picked has democratic ties, and anyway the Democrats have to approve him first.

But trying to force her will upon the state is beyond being a dick.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If I didn't know better, I'd say that she's burning her bridges because she still thinks it's manifest destiny that she be the First feamle president of the US and that any actions she takes right now are irelivent in the long term.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    wow, she turned down money for the schools. Isn't improving schools brownie points 101?

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    wow, she turned down money for the schools. Isn't improving schools brownie points 101?

Those kids need to pull themselves up by bootstraps and/or invisible hands

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

It's easy for people to get "improving schools" and "raising taxes to improve schools" mixed up.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Kagera wrote: »

Well, I do, because she was there as the Governor of Alaska, and as such, she's sort of supposed to at least appear impartial. It's like she was wearing a sign on her saying "For Sale To Highest Bidder".

...yes, I know that's the case. But you're supposed to have the decency to not advertise it.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

School's don't need more money.

They need less bureaucracy and more accountability.

We spend more per child than almost any other nation and have terrible scores to show for it, thus proving that throwing money at a problem does not in fact fix it.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »

They need less bureaucracy and more accountability.
    More money would also help, since there are a hell of a lot of underfunded schools.
    Buttcleft wrote:
    We spend more per child than almost any other nation and have terrible scores to show for it, thus proving that throwing money at a problem does not in fact fix it.
    Throwing money at a problem!=spending money on it.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Well, I do, because she was there as the Governor of Alaska, and as such, she's sort of supposed to at least appear impartial. It's like she was wearing a sign on her saying "For Sale To Highest Bidder".

...yes, I know that's the case. But you're supposed to have the decency to not advertise it.

She was an Arctic Cat snowmobile suit. Artic Cat make snowmobile gear. All their clothing has the logo emblazoned on it. This is like criticizing her for taking part in a marathon because she wore all Nike clothing.
    Except she wasn't participating, she was starting the race in her position as Governor. Why would it be so fucking hard for her to wear something warm but appropriate and not festooned with corporate logos for doing this? I mean, if the mayor of your town was asked to open a new McDonalds, would it be appropriate for him to show up dressed as Ronald?

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

She was an Arctic Cat snowmobile suit. Artic Cat make snowmobile gear. All their clothing has the logo emblazoned on it. This is like criticizing her for taking part in a marathon because she wore all Nike clothing.
    Except she wasn't participating, she was starting the race in her position as Governor. Why would it be so fucking hard for her to wear something warm but appropriate and not festooned with corporate logos for doing this? I mean, if the mayor of your town was asked to open a new McDonalds, would it be appropriate for him to show up dressed as Ronald?

I think there is a big difference between winter apparel and a clown suit.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Cinders wrote: »

If I can dress warmly for winter without having massive corporate logos all over my clothing, somehow I think the Governor of Alaska is capable of doing so as well.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009

If I can dress warmly for winter without having massive corporate logos all over my clothing, somehow I think the Governor of Alaska is capable of doing so as well.

Weren't you the one who said that an emblem on the left breast was an affront to god and was appearing in your sleep?

The remarkable part is that she managed to find branded pants.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

Weren't you the one who said that an emblem on the left breast was an affront to god and was appearing in your sleep?

It... it wasn't on her ass, was it? *shudder*

Tach on
  • Options
    AyeJayeAyeJaye Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

This is going to be Obama's flag pin all over again.

AyeJaye on
    delicious.
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    She could have worn some of her $250,000 (or whatever) worth of clothes she bought last year. I'm sure there was a winter coat or two in there.

She might not be wearing that stuff in public, though.

Duffel on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't really care if she wore Arctic Cat stuff

I do care that she fucked around with the Dem senate seat

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Medopine wrote: »
    I don't really care if she wore Arctic Cat stuff

I do care that she fucked around with the Dem senate seat

The thing is that the former sort of shows the mentality that created the latter. If she can't grasp why wearing corporate logos at an event you're attending in an official capacity might be an ethical problem, then it's not likely that she's going to see any problems with discarding tradition and manipulating things to put the person she wants into a position.

There's a reason that the bill for her ethics violation defense team has hit half a million.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Looking at the Arctic Cat website, the difference seems to be mostly the color black.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is it just me, or should the governor of a state not be appointing a replacement state senator? Isn't that the sort of thing you have a special election to fill?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    She could have worn some of her $250,000 (or whatever) worth of clothes she bought last year. I'm sure there was a winter coat or two in there.

She might not be wearing that stuff in public, though.

It was all donated to charity.
    The "What the Palins wear around the house" memorial fund.
    In memory of her failed VP bid.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is it just me, or should the governor of a state not be appointing a replacement state senator? Isn't that the sort of thing you have a special election to fill?
    Ideally, maybe. Governor appointments are the way this is handled in 90% of circumstances, though.

Some people were talking about floating legislation to enshrine special elections as the default method of selection, but I don't know where that stands or if it even got off the ground.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

In most states the position is filled by the appointment from the governor.

I think there are serious ethical issues in using your elected position to advertise your husband's corporate sponsors.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tach wrote: »
    Scalfin wrote: »

It... it wasn't on her ass, was it? *shudder*

"Feels like I'm wearin' nothin' at all, you betcha!"

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lord Yod wrote: »

Funny enough, Alaskan US senator seats are filled by special election, because some past governor appointed one of his kids to the spot or some such silliness.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Lord Yod wrote: »

Funny enough, Alaskan US senator seats are filled by special election, because some past governor appointed one of his kids to the spot or some such silliness.

And then she won reelection afterwards.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TL, DR version: Dem AK state senator resigned recently. AK law says that the governor must appoint a Dem to the position. Tradition is that party leadership in AK sends a list of candidates to the governor, and the governor selects one. The pit bull with lipstick decides to tell the Dems fuck you instead, and picks a "Democrat" who was a registered Republican several weeks ago. Shitstorm erupts, governor can't grasp why.

As mentioned, the nominee has Democratic ties, Democratic support (though he was not a frontrunner for this position), and ran as a Democrat as recently as 2002.

However yeah, he changed his affiliation just to get this nom, which to me just shows how retarded a law that has party affiliation as a prerequisite really is. The Democratic delegation to their state congress (or some such) has to approve the nom anyway, so why bother including that requirement? Fear that the party will approve somebody from the opposition? And if they do, is that a problem?

This whole thing isn't worth anything more than a shrug.

Though I am always up for a good Palin-bashing. No, really, that wasn't sarcasm...carry on gentelmen!

mcdermott on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Personally I'm just waiting for Emanon's inevitable accusatory sexism post/defense of Palin as "the future of the GOP and leading the way to the new, conservative day" post
    Also, vague false equivalency between Obama racism during 2008 election season to Palin sexism now

Rent on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    Personally I'm just waiting for Emanon's inevitable accusatory sexism post/defense of Palin as "the future of the GOP and leading the way to the new, conservative day" post
    Also, vague false equivalency between Obama racism during 2008 election season to Palin sexism now

sorry to burst your bubble, he got banned

Medopine on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    again?
    already?

Duffel on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If she implodes at the same rate as the rest of the Republican Party, she will appear to be entirely stable.

Speaker on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    No. STOP THIS.

Quit giving her anymore attention, dammit. Let her be the silly little queen of her silly little hill. If the pubs actually try to promote her, she'll get ripped to shreds.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    No. STOP THIS.

Quit giving her anymore attention, dammit. Let her be the silly little queen of her silly little hill. If the pubs actually try to promote her, she'll get ripped to shreds.

And this is bad for the sane among us because ..... ?

I'm of the Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake school of thought. Any party that would let her keep getting on the national stage, let alone be a "future leader of the party" deserves to lose.

werehippy on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    werehippy wrote: »
    No. STOP THIS.

And this is bad for the sane among us because ..... ?

Because it'll make us insane. Also I wrote that poorly, I meant to say that she's going to be ripped to shreds anyway, so there's no reason to be giving her attention. More attention (even bad attention.) just makes her look more legitimate as a national icon.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    :|

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Well, people aren't going to teach kids about apostrophes for free.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Well, people aren't going to teach kids about apostrophes for free.

We arent?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The thing with the Arctic Cat thing was they were her husbands sponsor

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    The thing with the Arctic Cat thing was they were her husbands sponsor

And she managed to make the emblem more ubiquitous on her person than most official representatives. Seriously, that was the biggest logo I've ever seen on her jacket, she has the name running down her leg, and I'd bet that it's the emblem I see on the shirt underneath.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.