As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My girl parts iz on firez [NOW WITH DIAGNOZIZ]

Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Once upon a time, I requested help with recurring UTIs. Shenanigans ensued, as they do when your hoo-ha is stinky and painful. I took the advice given, but the pain never really went away.

Fast forward three urologist visits and an ultrasound that revealed no cysts or anything weird. I'm pretty convinced I have interstitial cystitis, which is basically what they call it when you have UTI symptoms without the I. (I haven't had a culture or urinalysis show the presence of bacteria in many many moons.)

"Get thee to a doc and ask about it, then," you say, and well you should.

Problem is, both urologists' offices here in San Marcos have - literally, with one doc - shrugged when I asked them. Hell, one guy advised me to wait and see if it got better, though it's been about eighteen months of acute discomfort, and the pain's gone from an ever-present 1 or 2 out of 10 to sharp twinges of 3 or 4 every hour or two.

So, I need a better doc. My question is twofold: does anyone know someone who's been diagnosed with IC or had it themselves? And - why the hell not - does anyone know a urologist in Austin or San Antonio who is not an impotent douche?

Aoi Tsuki on

• SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So, to be clear, its not yeast, and its not lube related? Definitely urinary tract whatever-itis? And it clears when you stop having sex?

(good god, just read through the wiki. That is the biggest pile of 'we don't know what the fuck is going on' disguised as medical jumbo I've read in a very long time.)

I keep editing (read prev thread). Sorry. So, nm then about yeast, cuz you obviously know the difference, and youve been on the major long stretch of antibiotics.

The next up is the elimination diet, which doesn't sound like fun - whats your typical day like, meal wise?

Oh and while I'm at it, does your boy keep his gear spit and polished, cuz thats a big thing, and it needs to happen, lets assume it has.

Sarcastro on
  • Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sarcastro wrote: »
    So, to be clear, its not yeast, and its not lube related? Definitely urinary tract whatever-itis? And it clears when you stop having sex?

(good god, just read through the wiki. That is the biggest pile of 'we don't know what the fuck is going on' disguised as medical jumbo I've read in a very long time.)

It's absolutely not yeast, I've no problem with lube, and though it started after I started having penetrative sex, it's now ever-present, possibly thanks to the UTIs brought on by sex. I've visited the gyno to be really sure it is indeed a urinary thing, and the girl doc said all my reproductive parts are just fine.

(Seriously, it's the blanket diagnosis for "ow ow shitfuck my pee-pee hurts" when there's no evidence of treatable infection. :|)

Diet-wise, um, I kinda drink a lot of Mountain Dew. That's probably unhelpful at best. (A lot = a can or two every other day, depending on my supply. And that's after I've cut back quite a bit. The pain doesn't seem to correspond to my intake, though, again, I'm not saying it might'n't have contributed.) I eat tuna, lotta waffles, frozen meals (usually mac and cheese), taquitoes, and generally unhealthy shit.

And yes, his dickular hygiene is impeccable. We use condoms every time, proper lube, no back door, I pee right after, cotton undies, the works.

Aoi Tsuki on
  • Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think that a no sex and no fun elimination diet is needed as suggested above.

Reset your innards. Detox. That sort of shizzle.

/sympathy :(

Teslan26 on
    edited April 2009
    Teslan26 wrote: »
    I think that a no sex and no fun elimination diet is needed as suggested above.

Reset your innards. Detox. That sort of shizzle.

/sympathy :(

'Preciate it. This is no fun. D:

But I'm in a long-distance relationship, so I'm getting laid only twice or thrice a month now; it doesn't seem to affect the degree of pain at all. (I haven't had an appreciably sex-related "OW BLADDER OW" moment in several months, which seems pretty weird now that I'm thinking of it. It did for a while, but maybe now it doesn't need an excuse to hurt? Gah. Weird.)

I will probably start recording the stuff I'm eating and see if it affects the pain. Goddammit, I love my Dew. :x

Aoi Tsuki on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Probably a bit of a drive for you, but I'd recommend checking out Scott & White in Round Rock or Georgetown.

Sir Carcass on
  • DjinnDjinn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Have you ruled out endometriosis?

Djinn on
    edited April 2009
    Probably a bit of a drive for you, but I'd recommend checking out Scott & White in Round Rock or Georgetown.

Not a problem. I used to live in Round Rock.

*searches insurance directory* Do you have their number or address?
    Djinn wrote:
    Have you ruled out endometriosis?

Yeah, after I saw a Mystery Diagnosis where this girl had a horrific undiagnosed case, I made sure to check with the gynecologist about it. My periods are regular and not painful, and sex doesn't cause any problems. It's on my Double-Check If IC Still Isn't The Fucking Problem list.

Aoi Tsuki on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    UTI without the I you say?

Bring this list to an emergency care facility:

Vaginitis
    STDs - most commonly Chlamydia
    Internal Cystitis - pain during sex?
    Bladder Cancer
    Kidney Stones
    Pinworm

That's my guess.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited April 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    UTI without the I you say?

Bring this list to an emergency care facility:

Vaginitis
    STDs - most commonly Chlamydia
    Internal Cystitis - pain during sex?
    Bladder Cancer
    Kidney Stones
    Pinworm

That's my guess.

1. It's all pee-related pain, i.e. I've felt some degree of urge to pee for several months now; there's no discharge, the odor's gotten a bit better, and peeing actually hurts more than sex at this point. Regardless, that'll go on the List under endometriosis.

2. :shock: My boy and I were each other's first, and aren't boning anyone else, so this is as unlikely as unlikely gets.

3. Probably the closest, or some relation thereof.

4. I really fucking hope not, let's rule out IC first.

5. Don't kidney stones hurt...elsewhere? And far, far worse?

6. *wikis* It looks like pinworms primarily cause itching, and don't tend to hang out where I've got the worst pain.

Aoi Tsuki on
    edited April 2009
    STDs can be gotten from other processes. How sure are you that you were his first? Also, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it can be gotten from oral sex, and some people don't consider that sex. Yadda yadda yadda.

I honestly think it's the most likely culprit. I won't rule out any of the others but the only four that make complete sense are Vaginitis, Cystitis, Yeast Infection (probably a lesser known fungus they don't test for like Candida), or C. trachomatis.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited April 2009
    STDs can be gotten from other processes. How sure are you that you were his first? Also, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it can be gotten from oral sex, and some people don't consider that sex. Yadda yadda yadda.

I honestly think it's the most likely culprit. I won't rule out any of the others but the only four that make complete sense are Vaginitis, Cystitis, Yeast Infection (probably a lesser known fungus they don't test for like Candida), or C. trachomatis.

Either he's a serial killer/polygamist with an elaborate double life and acting skills to match, or he's a really horrible liar - the first time I proposed we make out, and then the first time I presented him with a condom, he got so red-faced and generally dork-'cited that it took him a minute to calm down - and I'll know the second he touches another girl. :P Oral can indeed transmit diseases, but again, I'm as positive as positive gets that neither of us have an STD.

Some form of cystitis has my money now. It's just not bacterial, which means there's some form of wonkiness afoot, which means further pain in my ass (and...y'know) to get diagnosed and treated.

Aoi Tsuki on
    edited April 2009
    Also, if the ones you visited last time did not diagnose, go to urgent care. They tend to be much better about running the gamut of tests and not "oh I don't know what this is, come back in 8 weeks when you're about dead and the symptoms really present itself."

bowen on
    edited April 2009
    Also, if the ones you visited last time did not diagnose, go to urgent care. They tend to be much better about running the gamut of tests and not "oh I don't know what this is, come back in 8 weeks when you're about dead and the symptoms really present itself."

Stupid question--what's urgent care? Somewhere between the emergency room and a normal doc?

(*Googles*

There are no urgent care centers listed in the FindUrgentCare database within 50 miles of the area you searched.

:x)

Aoi Tsuki on
    edited April 2009
    Aoi Tsuki wrote: »

Stupid question--what's urgent care? Somewhere between the emergency room and a normal doc?

Exactly that. Less of a wait than the emergency room, but better scale of care than your normal physician because they don't have a schedule to keep. Still a god awful wait, but 2 hours isn't as bad as 20.

bowen on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

(*Googles*

There are no urgent care centers listed in the FindUrgentCare database within 50 miles of the area you searched.

:x)

I just googled "Austin Urgent Care" and came up with a bunch of hits.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited April 2009
    Septus wrote: »

I just googled "Austin Urgent Care" and came up with a bunch of hits.

Turns out the one database I picked was fucked, and bowen pointed me to a bunch of others. :^:

Aoi Tsuki on
    edited April 2009
    Stupidly it's the first god damned search result for urgent care. Stupid google and your stupid stupid shit stupid.

bowen on
  • BetelguesePDXBetelguesePDX Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would recommend an academic practice, Baylor college of medicine urology in Houston, UT-Houston school of medicine urology in Houston, or Southwestern med school urology in Dallas. Academic practices are almost always up to date on the lastest stuff and the doctors are more professional.

Trust me. I should know... I am one (doctor that is).

BetelguesePDX on
    edited April 2009
    Always a good option too. Although teaching hospitals tend to be the worst in my experience, however they stop doing the "Oh it's just X going around, take this."

bowen on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would recommend an academic practice, Baylor college of medicine urology in Houston, UT-Houston school of medicine urology in Houston, or Southwestern med school urology in Dallas. Academic practices are almost always up to date on the lastest stuff and the doctors are more professional.

Trust me. I should know... I am one (doctor that is).

Well then I imagine the UT Health Science Center in San Antonio would be the closest.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My mom has IC. But its been treated and is in remission.

I honestly dont know much about it.

Talkc on
  • witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Even if you are utterly convinced your guy hasn't had sex with anyone else and there's no way you could have gotten an STD from him, you should still get it checked out just to rule it out from a diagnostic perspective.

Also, I think you should consider changing your diet for 6 weeks - eat some healthy food and cut out the soda. See if that makes any difference in the pain. In the mean time, yes, go ahead and seek second and third opinions to see if there is something else wrong that's gone undetected.

witch_ie on
    edited April 2009
    Apparently a lot of sweet foods, foods with sugar or corn syrup, will cause this in some women. From what I've heard.

bowen on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    edited April 2009
    Gawd damn, this board is awesome. <3

*makes more than one phone call...might as well till I turn 25 and insurance goes plooie*

Aoi Tsuki on
    edited June 2009
    Necro-bump'ed: I found a really fantastic urologist with y'all's help.

It is not IC. It's probably urethritis. As in, when the doc eased in the little probe thing to take a look inside my bladder for possible cysts or inflammation, I shrieked and nearly did a somersault off the stirrups--and it's not supposed to hurt more than a token "Eep" or so. o_O (The bladder was perfectly fine. Apparently I have a "pretty" bladder. The more you know?)

Am now on really specific antibiotics and these really bitchin' blue pills that turn your pee green (for the pain :D). Thanks again for the doc list; I've gotten more help from this lady in two visits than every other one in a year and a half. It was worth going to Round Rock a couple of times. If this treatment doesn't work, she'll think of something else.

Aoi Tsuki on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Congrats on finally making progress towards resolving this. :^: Competent doctors FTW.
    Apparently I have a "pretty" bladder. The more you know?

Haha. I love the little things you learn when you go to the doctors. I got a chest x-ray a month ago, and was told I have very long lungs. :winky:

Kris on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I had the heart-beat of an 18 year old when I was 18!

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would love to know what defines "prettiness" in a sack of pee. :lol:

Casual on
  • MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was going to also mention perhaps you should check out some Urologists here in Austin, but it looks like you got it taken care of! Glad you found someone who was willing to pay closer attention to your needs.

MrOletta on
    edited June 2009
    I'm glad it all worked out.

bowen on
    edited June 2009
    Necro-bump'ed: I found a really fantastic urologist with y'all's help.

It is not IC. It's probably urethritis. As in, when the doc eased in the little probe thing to take a look inside my bladder for possible cysts or inflammation, I shrieked and nearly did a somersault off the stirrups--and it's not supposed to hurt more than a token "Eep" or so. o_O (The bladder was perfectly fine. Apparently I have a "pretty" bladder. The more you know?)

Am now on really specific antibiotics and these really bitchin' blue pills that turn your pee green (for the pain :D). Thanks again for the doc list; I've gotten more help from this lady in two visits than every other one in a year and a half. It was worth going to Round Rock a couple of times. If this treatment doesn't work, she'll think of something else.

If you went to Scott & White, you're welcome. :D I've had nothing but good experiences with them and would recommend them to anyone. Glad you got it sorted out.

Sir Carcass on
  • Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm going to be clearly late to the party with this, but I'm going to toss this in here for effect...

I have been properly diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis, it's primary symptom is having to pee frequently, proper diagnosis involves a biposy of the bladder, and the theraputic relief is to do a hydrodistention, where they essentially fill up your bladder to stretch it out a bit.

Interstitial Cystitis is basically a condition where the lining that coats your bladder from the acidity of urine doesn't work, not only that but it doesn't stretch properly either. Since the protective coating isn't there the acidity in urine will make you have to pee something fierce. I typically have to pee every 30 minutes to an hour, though I can get myself to go longer I typically begin to have somewhat agonizing pain. Best way to describe this would be to tell you to imagine having to hold it for about 12 hours, that's how I feel after about 30 minutes.

It affects one in 40 women, and for every 40 women who get it, one male does. I am one of those males. Diagnosed at 16 (Which caused me to also get my first prostate check, not pleasant I might add, espcially when you have to walk home afterwards cause you thought it'd be a great idea to walk there, not expecting a lubed up infger in your ass, only to walk home for half a mile feeling like you've shit yourself. But that's neither here nor there). The doctor at the time when he was taking a peek in my bladder with a camera decided the problem was so severe that he just did a hydrodistention on the spot. This means that at the age of 16 I had a camera shoved up my dick into my bladder and had water go backwards... What's worse? Being told you can't leave the building till you go pee, something which used to be a very simple task which through the miracle of surgery was making damn near impossible. Imagine if you will holding your pee for 24 hours, and the muscle you use to hold it wont let you release it. I have never felt SO glad to pee in my life! After exiting the bathroom from my proud moment of urination I was greeted by a nurse who was preparing to explain/show my mother how to cathederize me. There are so many levels of "I should not be going through this at 16" that it's not even funny.

At the age of 17-18 I went to see another doctor who through a somewhat similar proedure confirmed the problem.

So yeah... If all you had was pain while bleeding then it wasn't I.C., I.C. is more about ferquent urination than pain...

Be glad you don't have I.C., sucks the fun out of going to movie theatres, waiting in lines for anything, and going on long road trips, or anything where long periods of time on your own may be involved.

I'm 24 now, having lived with this problem for 6 years I can honestly say that I do not wish this disease upon even my worst enemies...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
    edited June 2009
    I'm 24 now, having lived with this problem for 6 years I can honestly say that I do not wish this disease upon even my worst enemies...

Jesus tapdancing Christ. D:

No, she did the fill-'er-up-from-within thing, and said that IC patients can't tolerate anything resembling a full bladder; the worst part of that for me was just pissing cold water afterward. :shock: Definitely urethral.
    Casual wrote:
    I would love to know what defines "prettiness" in a sack of pee.

Nice and smooth, uniformly pinkish white, no inflammation or lumps or ickiness whatsoever. :winky: She said I could be in a textbook, but I think she was just trying to make me feel better after the horrendous pain she'd inadvertently put me through.

Can probably lock this thread; hopefully, it'll turn up in searches if any other poor suckers have pee-pee trouble.

Aoi Tsuki on
  • CharactercherCharactercher Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    I have interstitial cystitis and the symptoms to do not ever go away - not even when I don't have sex. I don't ever have a day without cramps, itch and burn. I am not on a medication, just using things like aloe gel and fish oil that are supposed to help - but nothing heals/fixes/cures it. Corn syrup is very upsetting to my stomach and all. I'm on an IC diet - avoiding foods like chocolate, anything too processed, anything with much soy and anything acidy. Even normally healthy things like tomatoes are really painful for me. The doctors have been no help for me. I'm planning on putting huge IC stickers (I make stickers and sell them on ebay) on the doctor's doors - wake 'em up a little. My doctors don't know what's it's like to live in pain.

Charactercher on
This discussion has been closed.