As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[4E-Evefront Game] Black Ops: I think we all agree a circus campaign would be cooler.

manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Critical Failures
This is the IC/OOC Game thread for the 4th Edition D&D Evefront Pbp Game.

Our cast of characters!
World Info
Shitty Map Action!(click for bigger version)
EvefrontMapsmaller.png
(when refering to time, the present is considered the start of the campaign game)
The Basics

Being the most populated continent in the world Evefront is a melting pot of various races populating the land. The environment like the residents is also filled with variety with the the icey peaks of the Northern Mountains, the temperate forests within the territories of Mandrith and Vlax, the flat plains of Tremas and Thazal, the various jungles and swamps within Crimos, and the deadly Szathza Desert.

One thing that has always been constant within Evefront is conflict stretching back almost a millennium to wars between the older races such as Elfs and Dwarfs for control of valuable lands. While few outright wars exist at the time of our adventures the various governments and races have a complex multi-polar power system with alliances and oppositions changing over time. Along with the possibility of an invading country the common person living in Evefront also must contend with more immediate dangers such as aggressive monsters who often see most of the races as either food or potential slaves. While some places are more safe than others such as Thazal with it's mighty guard and the Church of Bahamut others are primarily untamed wilderness only inhabited by the toughest of the tough.

For these two reasons Evefront is always in need of those who are able to rise above the common folk as true heroes. While adventurers will often have different reasons for putting their lives in danger, whether for the good of their god, the request of their leadership, out of their own kindness, or the allure of riches and fame, adventurers are always valued within this world.

Politics

Evefront is designated into nineteen different territories mostly based off political treaties and natural features. While most territories are controlled by one central government some governments have control over multiple territories. For example the Kingdom of Thazal has control of Thazal, Tremas, Mandrith, and Vlax. Some territories also have multiple governments battling for control within it's boarders such as Lothan. In most cases there is very little major warfare existing within Evefront except for specific cases. As described above Lothan is one of the most disputed pieces of land due to it's many natural resources and access to many trades routes. Also the Dwarfs of Krok and the Elves of Dermec are within a centuries old conflict that dates back to the original creation of these two governments.

One of the most important aspects of this world Is colonization. About 20 years ago a continent which for the most part had been unknown to many of the residents of Evefront has been discovered far east of Evefront across the massive Acernot Ocean. All of the major governments see this new land as a source of great new value both for resources and prestige. While there are many colonies within this new continent of Aleryntor much of it has not been explored and is still residence to many inhabitants who do not approve of this incursion.

In many ways Evefront is similar to Europe within it's colonial era with it's many regional disputes and multi-polar power system.

These brave adventures of semi-homogeneous races will soon find themselves working secretly for the strongest goverment in the world as a Black-Ops group. Will our heroes be able to survive the darkness and danger of the world they soon will enter as they seek to keep the Kingdom's peace?

Posting information
This thread will be containing both In Character and Out of Character posting for the game as keeping track of two threads is a pain. All OOC posting should be kept in spoilers to prevent confusion. I'm expecting at least one post each weekday especially within combat situation. I'm willing to allow a little leeway however I will take a player's action if they are holding up the game. As usual we'll will be using Invisible Castle for dice rolling.

Best of luck to our party and I hope everyone will have a great time.
:)
Lets get this...
8-)
rolling.
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
manaleak34 on
«134567

Posts

  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Chapter 1

    Many miles south of the capital to the Thazal kingdom is the city of Ashmit. While still heavily populated it is nowhere close to the size of the capital. Through a series of circumstances and mutual agreement you and your allies formed an unnamed adventuring group within Ashmit. While you've managed to get a few jobs here and there it is much less than your were hoping for, It seems the city relies more on the royal guard and the Paladins of Bahamut in times of crisis. However such setbacks do not phase you and you have recently been advertising your services more throughly in the city. No one has yet requested your services and your starting to wonder if establishing your group in more rural areas.

    At least for now you have a place to sleep within the city without relying on Inns. After you protected the Thenethed Inn from a group of bandits the owner has let you stay in the basement of the building, which has gone mostly unused. This place has become your impromptu headquarters in Ashmit.

    As for today it is early afternoon on lovely day within Ashmit. The streets are populated with all matter of people going throughout the day most of them taking no notice of you. You currently have no present obligations so most of you are simply considering this a rest from adventuring, though you'd like to get back to work soon.
    Feel free to RP it up as you see fit and return to headquarters once your ready to continue.

    manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Alan pulled his tunic on over his head and brushed his hair out of his eyes. The Countess Malpeque snored gently in her feather bed. Rather a good night's entertainment. Alan adjusted the gilt-thread sleeves of his shirt and checked his reflection in the brass mirror beside the bed. Always important to make a good impression, after all.

    Alan slipped quietly out of the bedroom and trotted jauntily down the stairs past the silent guards and retainers of the household. The etiquette of the cultured classes obviously forbade anyone to lay hands on him, or even to accost him verbally, but they were obviously shocked. He presumed that the Countess' conquests usually slunk out the back door in the morning. She'd have some explaining to do when the Count got home, but that wasn't really Alan's concern.

    Alan gestured to the front door, and an ashen-faced footman yanked it open for him. Alan winked at the nervous-looking young man and suddenly found his personality shoved aside.

    The world fogged and wavered as Alan's Master reached out through his eyes and caressed the doorman's mind. Alan staggered and recovered himself. The footman's eyes were rolled back in his head, and he was gibbering incoherently. The good spirits of the morning were suddenly lost to Alan.

    "Someone see to this man," he snarled, "before he bites off his tongue."

    Alan stepped out the door, slipped into the milling crowd on the street, and headed for the Thenethed. He didn't relax until he saw the painted whale swinging on its plank above the door.
    !Ready

    GrimmyTOA on
  • StormgaleStormgale Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Althal pulled up his hood as he slipped through the crowds, more armaments hidden under the green folds of his cloak. "At least it is sunny" he said with a a slight smile, slipping through the crowds without much notice. He picked up some fruit on his way back, carefully slicing it with his dagger, enjoying the brief reminder of his forest home.

    His left hand moved quick as lightning, but gentle as a stream, suddenly he had a gold pouch in his hand, just enough to pay his tab at the Thenethed... his exotic tastes cost him quite a bit, hence his current cashflow problem.

    "How did your latest conquest go Alan" he asked the warlock as he pushed open the door for the warlock, smiling his half smile as he opened the door, slinking in after his companion, handing his cash off to the barkeep.. thus debt free (but also Lacking a coin to his name) he sighed, deciding he could do with a good lie down.

    ((OOC: Man we are a bunch of Dicks))

    Stormgale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • QuantumQuarkQuantumQuark Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Basil sits at a table in the bar proper, having a heated discussion with a patron.

    "Now LOOK my good man, I merely mentioned that among my abilities was the power to turn beer into water! You insisted that I, and I will quote, "prove it, ya pansy!"

    The patron growls, pointing at a tankard of what had once been foaming beer. "That was my last bloody drink, you thrice-damned mage!"

    Basil removes his silver glasses, whipping them off his face and pointing them at the man. "And you insisted I transform it! I've proven my abilities to you now GOOD DAY, before I decide to turn you into a newt!"

    He moves out of the chair with none of the grace of his comrades, pulling his midnight blue cloak about his shoulders with a derisive huff. "I swear, some people don't give a second thought to their requests. This is the Academy all over again."

    The man rises out of his seat with a roar. Basil whips around, uttering an arcane word that resonates through the very bones of the other patrons. Frost drips from his rapidly chilling fingers and a lance of blue light surges out from his palm, striking the man's feet. He lunges forward with a balled fist at the ready but topples over with an expression of utmost surprise, his feet firmly frozen together in a block of crystal-clear ice.

    Basil sighs. "Somebody help him with that. I'm heading to my quarters. Good day all."
    I really like that token, by the way.

    QuantumQuark on
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Alan nodded at Althal as they walked through the door.

    "Fine, fine. Nothing terribly exciting, I'm afraid. Diverting."

    Alan stepped daintily over the frozen-footed man and slipped into a chair.

    GrimmyTOA on
  • QuantumQuarkQuantumQuark Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Basil turns around, hearing the movement behind him.

    "Oh, Alan. Good to see you. Don't mind the ice, a minor disagreement over the fate of a drink. I presume you're back from your latest dalliance? How likely is this one to get us in a lot of trouble?"

    QuantumQuark on
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "No more so than usual -- or, indeed, anything that you two are likely to have gotten up to."

    Alan nodded pointedly at the cursing, struggling man on the ground, and at the small pile of coins rapidly disappearing into the landlord's apron pockets.

    "I don't think I'll be stopping past the Count Malpeque's house for a while, though. Ah well. Probably wouldn't want to visit right now anyway. One of the Count's footmen has very recently developed some sort of brain-fever. Deplorable, really. Besides, they'd hardly think to look for the Grand Panjandrum of Soor in here, would they?"

    Alan laughed and called for a drink.

    "Care for one, gentlemen? It's on me -- or, rather, the Countess -- and we may as well while away the afternoon in comfort."

    GrimmyTOA on
  • QuantumQuarkQuantumQuark Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Basil grins. He sits back down at his table, pushing the man away with a boot.

    "Now that's an offer I appreciate, my good man. Dwarven stout, if you'd be so kind."

    QuantumQuark on
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The man currently working the bar pours drinks for the two humans gladly accepting gold Alan received from the Countess. With some help of the other partons the man who Basil had the dispute with manages to escape from the icy constraints. He seems to still be very unhappy but it seems he doesn't have any intention to get into a fight with a wizard and quietly leaves the inn grumbling to himself.

    The bartender who has finished preparing your drinks is one of the workers you've gotten to know better during your stay here, he decides to start up a conversation.

    "Any luck so far getting more work for your group?"

    manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • QuantumQuarkQuantumQuark Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Basil takes a long draught of beer, and sighs.

    "Not at all, I'm afraid. It seems we broke into the adventuring trade at quite the wrong time."

    He wipes his scruffy beard and takes another drink.

    "If the work gets much drier we're going to have to move further out into the countryside. That or pick a fight with a necromancer."

    QuantumQuark on
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Alan allows the beer to begin relaxing him, and soon loses track of the conversations going on around him. Sleep, long delayed, steals into his head and begins to work away at his consciousness.

    He dreams, and as always is taken to that cold place beyond the stars where a thing beyond imagining had lifted him up and crumbled him into pieces.

    Alan's eyes pop open and he takes another, deeper drink.
    Happy to keep batting around conversation and whatnot (once Alan's recovered from his nap, anyway) but I didn't want to get too far down the talking-road before the other two had a chance to join in.

    GrimmyTOA on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    From behind them, a man comes running full tilt through the doors of the tavern. Unable to stop in time, his feet slip on a puddle of water on the tavern floor, sending him twirling toward the seated companions, arms flailing. Luckily, a pushed out chair catches his fall and he slumps into it, less than gracefully.

    "Well," says Riff, obviously out of breath. "Sorry I'm late. Had a bit of a run-in with some debt collectors."

    The bard looks back at the puddle on the floor.

    "Curse this inn. I nearly broke my neck."

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Yes, there have been all sorts of accidents in here today. Why, just a few minutes ago a man managed to get his foot wedged inside a block of ice. I'm sure that Basil could explain it better than I."
    I'm switching Alan to Unaligned, I think. He's not really feeling like an Evil character, just a selfish and occasionally cruel one. Everyone okay with that?

    GrimmyTOA on
  • StormgaleStormgale Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "If they are that much of a problem, Give me their names I can ensure they won't bother you" Althal said simply, as if it was the most common thing in the world.

    "We make do for now" he said regarding the work situation, sitting back and drinking with a sigh of contentment "No use worrying to much"

    Stormgale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Riff smirked, "Then what? Am I to walk the streets unafraid? Not to worry 'bout the next bounty on my head or the newest Sherrif out to prove his name?"

    He kicked his boots up onto the table.

    "Not much of a life, that."

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • QuantumQuarkQuantumQuark Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Basil sniffs, again taking a draught of beer.

    "You're in a vocation that requires delving down into dank pits filled with monsters the likes of which are beyond the ken of mortal men, and you require more adventure in your life?"

    He grins.

    "Do me a favour. When we find our next job, let me stand behind you."

    QuantumQuark on
  • StormgaleStormgale Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "You know damn well you'll be standing behind me and Aelar, so you'll be protected fine" he stated, pulling off his cloak and laying it on the back of his chair

    "Where is he anyway" he asked, finding neither hide nor hair of the fighter

    Stormgale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Adventure?" Riff perks up. "Come now, Doc, you can't mean to say you can ever have too much?"

    The bard reaches behind him and comes out with a wooden lute, looking slightly bent and missing one of its strings. He begins tinkering; a concentrated frown forms on his face.

    "And as for where you choose to stand," he says without looking up. "Just make sure you tell me when to duck."

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • HarlonHarlon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Aelor stumbles down the stairs, yawning and rubbing his eyes. Squinting, he finds sight of his companions engaged in conversation.

    "Alcohol?" He yawns. "At this hour? Or did I sleep in too late again?"

    Without waiting for a response or invitation, Aelor heads to the empty seat besides his Elven friend but only makes it halfway there before finding himself laying on the ground and his back slightly damp. Ugh... I hope that isn't beer. Embarrassed, he says nothing as he quickly stands up, brushing himself off. The fighter finally makes his way to the bar and drops himself into the seat next to Althal.

    "Barkeep, something to eat please."
    Sorry I'm late! I just got back from my "weekend vacation." and should be good to go now.

    Harlon on
    3DS FC 1048-9228-8841
  • QuantumQuarkQuantumQuark Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "I certainly can have too much adventure, Riff. Some of us aren't fond of fearing for our continued existence."

    Basil drains the tankard.

    "And I keep telling you to let me have a look at that bloody lute and fix it. I swear if I hear one more string snap on that thing I am going to incinerate it. And I will learn to cast a fireball just for that purpose."
    Yeah, Basil does tend toward the slightly whiny. Also, if such a thing existed, he would be a multiclass Artificer. As it is, I'm RPing his technical skill.

    QuantumQuark on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Riff laughs, still fiddling with the instrument.

    "Fireball... that might do this thing some good," he says. "Besides, lute's fine. It just took a nasty smash against a Goliath's face a few blocks back. Debt collector, as usual they hire those behemoths. Don't worry your nerves, Doc. It'll be fixed up proper 'for we've found more work where I'll need it."

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • HarlonHarlon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Barkeep disappears in the kitchen behind the bar and returns to deliver Aelor a quite unpleasant meal with an odd smell to it. A soup? A stew? A long-expired steak? The fighter leaves no time to ponder such things as he downs his breakfast in a single bite. He licks his lips and begins picking at his teeth with his tongue as he turns to the Elf.

    "Mornin', Althal. You alright? You look like you had a rough night," he inquires innocently.

    Harlon on
    3DS FC 1048-9228-8841
  • QuantumQuarkQuantumQuark Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Basil wrinkles his nose at the smell from the dish. He waves his hand about his face, casting a quick Prestidigitation spell to clear the air.

    "I do certainly hope we find more work where you'll need it, soon. Doing parlour tricks for small coin is not the life I imagined coming out of the academy."

    Basil hears Aelor's words, turning to Althal. "He's right, Althal, you look like five miles of bad road. Care to share?"

    QuantumQuark on
  • StormgaleStormgale Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Just a long night as usual, someone has to keep us in enough coin for food" he said as he took out his blade, starting to attend to it as he spoke "And the less you know about this business, the better we will all be" he added

    "Thank god this city is not as.... cheery as the surface would have you believe or I might feel out of place"

    Stormgale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Stormgale wrote: »
    "Thank god this city is not as.... cheery as the surface would have you believe or I might feel out of place"

    "It's a regular cesspool around here, isn't it?"

    Alan stretched his legs and leaned back in his chair. Another day drifting by. Another wasted day with no outlet for my talents but a bored aristocrat with a too-absent husband. Alan sighed.

    "I'm starting to feel a bit unappreciated in this burgh, boys. Maybe we should start thinking about heading up to the capital, find a little action."

    GrimmyTOA on
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Alright I think we'll move on if that's ok with everyone.

    As the day goes on the group swaps stories of today's happenings and discusses their plans of how to get work. While you don't come to a conclusion of where exactly you should go you know Ashmit is not worth staying in.
    Patrons move in and out of the inn but no one bothers the group. Finally in late evening once all the drunks are led out you decide it's best to get a good rest for tomorrow. You leave the Thenethed Inn and head around to the back of the building where a normal wooden door sits. You unlock it and enter your 'headquarters.' It's not much but at least the owner gave you some actual cots to sleep on. Despite a little difficulty you all manage to get to sleep.

    Athlar: Passive Perception
    In the middle of the night you awake to the sound of someone or something outside the headquarters door.

    manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • StormgaleStormgale Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Opening his eyes from his trance he slips out from the corner of the room, stealthily making his way through the room (21) he taps each of his companions on the shoulder, his way of letting them know to get up quietly (Something I would assume they would have done, with a stealthy member... if they follow it is up to you guys). He then moves towards the door, listening closer (12), unable to discern much more it seemed.

    Stormgale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Athlar sneaks up to the door without alerting whoever is outside. Athlar may not be completely awake yet but taking a more careful listen he can determine someone is attempting to pick the cheep lock at the door and is likely to succeed provided enough time.

    manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Alan's eyes pop open when Athlar touches his shoulder. He watches the Elf move across the room.

    Alan, not normally any more stealthy than your average natural disaster, manages to get up quietly and step away from the door.

    GrimmyTOA on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Riff opens his eyes and slowly plants his feet on the floor beneath his cot. He quietly (1d20=18)stands up, facing the doorway.

    He quickly glances (1d20+5=15) around the room as his eyes adjust.
    Am I using the roller properly? Is there a way that we can join a campaign page where rolls are a bit more streamlined? Or is it normal to have to go through and type everything out every time you roll?

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Campaign name is mostly optional but if you want to use one use '[4e-Evefront] Black Ops' as I've just now made a Campaign page for it. Hopefully that might make things easier

    I probably should have given more details of the room. It's pretty large and most of you are already a good distance from the door. Here's a map of the current situation. The space in front of Athlar is supposed to be the closed door.

    map4509.png

    manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • QuantumQuarkQuantumQuark Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Basil, knowing that he's less likely to walk stealthily than to grow wings and fly, remains in his bed. However he grabs his orb and begins to focus his mana, remaining ready to cast a spell at the slightest hint of trouble.
    I could cast Magic Missile on the door and make life very interesting for whoever is on the other side?

    QuantumQuark on
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well would you want to try and blast the door open or just make the door shake and rattle? Either one would need an attack roll on the door using your Magic Missile power

    manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • QuantumQuarkQuantumQuark Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Blast it open, preferably, and flatten whoever's on the other side of it. I kind of wanted to check with the others first, though.

    QuantumQuark on
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm fine with it, but Harlon hasn't been able to react to the noises at all, has he? Of course, he's standing in more or less the right place, so...

    GrimmyTOA on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, I'm fine with it. My character, on the other hand, might be a bit startled by the sudden fireworks display 5-10 feet away.

    I doubt it will break the door down, and it will definitely start up an initiative round... but it looks like Basil is a font of uncontrollable magic.. let it fly!

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • QuantumQuarkQuantumQuark Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How about I wait till he gets the door open and let fly? :D

    QuantumQuark on
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You might not get a good initiative roll. We could think of this as a de facto surprise round. I love this plan! I'm excited to be a part of it!

    GrimmyTOA on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I say do whatever your magical heart desires. That door is about to pop any second now...

    How does readying actions work when you're not in initiative yet?

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you want to you can say "I'll shoot the first thing I see when the door opens" And the attack would count during the 'surprise round'. Then we'll roll up initiative normally

    manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
Sign In or Register to comment.