As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I feel the MOTW 4-8-09 turning!

• Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Blankspace wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Oh hey, Dark Reign is turning out to be exactly like I though it it would: a line wide, Warren Ellis T-Bolts makeover. :v:
    Mighty Avengers, New Avengers, Agents of ATLAS and Invincible Iron Man would like a word with you.

Hyperbole on the internet. :P

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    BftC 2 sucked. As was expected.

WoNK 2 was just ok. I'm kind of worried that they may drag out the tension between the classes/guilds and between Kal and Zod for way longer than necessary, and it was more of an issue of adaption rather than an important story beat.

Wolverine Weapon X 1 was surprisingly good. I picked it up not expecting much, but it was a ton of fun.

However, MotW:
    Ignition City is FUCKING AWESOME. Once the issue got going, it got going. I love the setting, I love the characters, and I love the actual format of the book (with a totally bitchin' thick wraparound cover and higher-quality-than-usual paper). Picked it up on kind of a whim; real glad I did.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Light the Eagle signal.

We need American Eagle.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Wolverine Weapon X 1 was surprisingly good. I picked it up not expecting much, but it was a ton of fun.

I was tempted to grab it at the stands but at the same time, I am so sick of Wolverine. Any chance of you selling this to me? :winky:

kfrooster on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I didn't think BFtC2 sucked, but it wasn't as good as the first issue. I liked the brief exchange between Tim and Selina.

One thing I am confused about though, is that the real Two-Face? Or is that the pretend Two-Face that was in some other comic recently? All the recent Batman books I've read are starting to bleed into each other. Between RIP, Caped Crusader, FC, Last Rites, Cacophony, and BFtC, I'm starting to get things a wee bit confused.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I didn't think BFtC2 sucked, but it wasn't as good as the first issue. I liked the brief exchange between Tim and Selina.

One thing I am confused about though, is that the real Two-Face? Or is that the pretend Two-Face that was in some other comic recently? All the recent Batman books I've read are starting to bleed into each other. Between RIP, Caped Crusader, FC, Last Rites, Cacophony, and BFtC, I'm starting to get things a wee bit confused.

Pretend Two-Face got captured. That's the real one.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    kfrooster wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

I was tempted to grab it at the stands but at the same time, I am so sick of Wolverine. Any chance of you selling this to me? :winky:

Yeah, I was really worried. So much could've gone wrong.

It deals with the entire mess of wolverine solo continuity really quickly, and in a clever way.

It pretty much ignores all of it beyond what's essential and what's leaked into mainstream X continuity.

Working with what's left (and I don't know if I even need to spoil this, since it's pretty much the premise for the series, but it's all the plot development that occurs in issue 1):
    The entire Weapon X program, along with everything that came before and after from the same people, has been shut down. However, someone leaked all of the info from each of the projects, and is now selling them freely on the black market. Now at least one PMC/Guerrilla group of some sort has developed their own version.

Also, glowing laser claws.

Edit: Although, if it turns out that
    Department <insert letter here> is behind it all, as part of the WEAPON MMV ULTRAMAX SILVERGOLD program, I'm going to be really pissed and burn all the issues up to that point.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oooo, Aaron's Wolverine book came out this week? I've been looking forward to that.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i think a lot of people are missing the dramatic irony in that last page of BftC

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i think a lot of people are missing the dramatic irony in that last page of BftC

Is it just the fact that Jason says, "One more to go," when the reader knows full well that Jason will himself be the last one to go?

If not, could you explain it?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    KVW wrote: »
    Pen isnt in deep enough to kill her. You can see the gold from the tip stil. At most, she lost an eye.

It's not from the tip, but that's immaterial. Point is that the pen is not deep enough to kill her. He'd have to jam the entire thing through her orbital socket.

That's why annoys the fuck out of me about Bullseye. He doesn't have super-strength and as a result the art of his kills shows him killing people with items that at best should just maim them, like the scalpels to the forehead in T-Bolts. Oooh, that annoyed me.
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Light the Eagle signal.

We need American Eagle.

This is why I may actually pick up the next War Machine arc.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That's why annoys the fuck out of me about Bullseye. He doesn't have super-strength and as a result the art of his kills shows him killing people with items that at best should just maim them, like the scalpels to the forehead in T-Bolts. Oooh, that annoyed me.

The worst case of this I ever saw occurred in Bullseye: Greatest Hits. He gets a tooth knocked loose, spits it into someone's forehead, and it kills them.

Like, how the fuck does that even work?

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    They should just call it a super-power.

At the very least, it's a nearly one-of a kind super-martial arts technique.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    KVW wrote: »
    Pen isnt in deep enough to kill her. You can see the gold from the tip stil. At most, she lost an eye.

It's not from the tip, but that's immaterial. Point is that the pen is not deep enough to kill her. He'd have to jam the entire thing through her orbital socket.

Golden Yak wrote: »
    Light the Eagle signal.

We need American Eagle.

This is why I may actually pick up the next War Machine arc.

American Eagle is on the other side of the galaxy with the Guardians isnt he? How's he going to show up in War Machine?

KVW on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    No, that's Jack Flag.

Munch on
  • Options
    DreamonDreamon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    No, that's Jack Flag.

I always mix up these two aswell.

Dreamon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    All Americans look alike.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Is it just the fact that Jason says, "One more to go," when the reader knows full well that Jason will himself be the last one to go?

there was someone else very close to Tim who was killed by a boomerang shaped object

who might that be?

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    All criminal scum baby-killers look alike to America-loving super-patriot registered heroes .

Fixed for Initiative Propaganda.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited April 2009

there was someone else very close to Tim who was killed by a boomerang shaped object

who might that be?

How is that dramatic irony?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

who might that be?

But that's not dramatic nor ironic. This is just cheap death/cliffhanger event stuff. Technically, the other one was too, but it's not dramatic and there was no real build up to it here.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    he's obviously not dead, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still meant to be dramatic, and i don't see how being stabbed in the same manner that killed his father after beating Jason with a crowbar isn't ironic

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    he's obviously not dead, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still meant to be dramatic, and i don't see how being stabbed in the same manner that killed his father after beating Jason with a crowbar isn't ironic

Irony would be if Jason killed the Joker with a crowbar and then used a magic boomerang to bring Tim's dad back to life.

What we saw in BftC was a coincidence and an allusion.

Jason's comment at the end is kind of an example of dramatic irony, though, since any savvy reader will know that, in predicting Dick's defeat, he's actually foreshadowing his own.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's like raaaaaaaaain on your wedding day.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Moment of the weak: Happiness from moving to a new apartment is quickly dulled with the realization that I have little room to store my many favorite comics and that I need money to get me through the coming months. Tossed up all my large graphic novels on ebay, which I can live without with since they took up a level of space equal to that of Africa, but now I have to toss up most of my original art since that might get the most money and don't have room on my walls to display em anymore. ack! Martian Manhunter why must I part with you :(

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The one good thing about the whole Jason Batman right now other than the costume which frankly looks a lot better than the one Tim is wearing is how he's gone back to his whole "Kill them all" mentality instead of trying to player super hero lite. Him being Red Robin was lame, then again the whole Red Robin concept is lame.

Also that Bullseye moment...ouch.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Even when he was Red Robin, he killed people.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm just saying the Red Robin name/outfit is kind of a joke in itself, plus most of the issues I read where he was said persona he was basically neutered. Didn't see much of the killing or Jason like attitude.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    He shattered a Joker's head with a massive boulder!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh that, yeah but he did that only after a Batman got killed and the Joker was ribbing him. Can't fault him for that, plus it was an alternative earth so yeah...otherwise he was pretty neutered.

Cade on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    All Americans look alike.

This posts deserves a Gold star. That's fucking funny.
    Munch wrote: »
    The worst case of this I ever saw occurred in Bullseye: Greatest Hits. He gets a tooth knocked loose, spits it into someone's forehead, and it kills them.

Like, how the fuck does that even work?

That's just stupid.
    They should just call it a super-power.

The same idiot power Gambit has. Then I can understand how a tooth or a scalpel hitting a non-critical area can kill a person. "I charged this tooth and that's why you're now missing the back of your skull."

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The irony of BFtC was that there was a crowbar laying on the floor of Jason's Batcave... what, was he trying to start his own Batcave museum? Gee, I couldn't find a giant penny, but I'll just put this crowbar here on the floor. Maybe it's meta... like, everywhere Jason goes, there's a crowbar there.

I do think it was an interesting point about Tim and his father... I hadn't noticed that on first read.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It just reads weird in how Daniels (going by Winicks plan for the series, which explains Black Mask and how Jason is in "bad-ass-beat-everyone" mode) up and ignored the last issues of Nicieza's Robin run, where they give Jason a chance to escape prison and maybe get his shit together.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Maybe that was Batman's final message to Jason.

"Keep being a giant dick. It's really working for you."

I will say, for best moment, I have to go with the Baby Hitler/Baby Gandhi from Exiles.

Can anyone here post that? Because it was pretty fantastic.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Maybe that was Batman's final message to Jason.

"Keep being a giant dick. It's really working for you."

I will say, for best moment, I have to go with the Baby Hitler/Baby Gandhi from Exiles.

Can anyone here post that? Because it was pretty fantastic.

Because I laughed at that final msg to Batman bit more than I should have, here's the Exiles scan.
    exiles1babyhitlerghandi.jpg

KVW on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sorry, I just love Forge calling Gandhi a fiend.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Swastika Lollipops, now in Marzipan!

Was Exiles any good? Anything fresh to tell with the premise?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »

I liked it. It wasn't taking itself too seriously.

It's kind of too early to tell if there will be anything different about it... If find the idea of them including Forge in the roster kind of weird.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Is it regular 616 Forge?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »

The whole issue was basically just brief glimpses of the new team's home universes and Morph explaining the premise of the team to the roster (and the audience!). However, I like how the book isn't taking itself too seriously despite dealing with nothing short of the fate of the multiverse, and you can already tell that it's going to be way better than the last volume.
    Is it regular 616 Forge?

It's a Forge from a world where the Skrulls took over, at least for a little while.

Robos A Go Go on