As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 4-15-09: Comics are tax deductable...

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Graphic Violence
As usual, GLC is a good contender for MOTW, with solid pacing, and three separate stories getting airtime. The last page has an oh snap moment, but some nice scenes below:

Arkillo's "reminder"

glc35a.jpg

Yat and Arisia save the day, but the construct Yat makes is pretty cool:

glc35b.jpg

And "oh snap!"
glc35c.jpg

But MOTW goes to Fables #83, because it's a great start to the crossover and should be looked at for pickup this week. Plus it has a bitching fight in it(scans below)
a new religion is formed around Boy Blue being the savior started by Stinky Badger, and this awesome Beast/Bigby fight:

f83a.jpg

f83b.jpg

f83c.jpg

f83d.jpg

The fight was due to Mr Dark being so close to Beast and Bigby now, making them more "dark" (I think Willingham is going for a story reflecting "dark" being the new thing for comics again), so they will send Bigby out to meet up with Jack who has news about the Literals.

Seriously, pick up Fables people.

Moment of the weak: ASM #591 and it's failure to grasp Narnia time principles and trying to fix the identity problem (ie a ripoff of Johns Flash run) while also messing with the reveal in New Avengers.

TexiKen on

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm surprised that chronological error made it past editorial, especially since it's such a major part of the story. Course, maybe they caught it, realized they'd have to pretty much rewrite the entire thing in order to fix it, and just hoped we'd let it slide.

Anyway, that final page made it well worth it.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I spent so much time messing with my scanner that you beat me. Now I feel stupid :(

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Messing with NA's reveal? What in the hell are you guys going on about now? Anything Brian does with Spider-Man isn't what goes,
    if he's retarded enough not to follow the "everybody who sees him unmask remembers things pre-mindwipe" deal, thats his fault, not the people who are actually charting the character's actual course.

If you're looking for everything to sync up perfectly like a comic book science encyclopedia between the two books, you might want to stop reading Marvel comics or bitch more about Bendis becuase chances are, this issue was written before NA 51.

ASM #591

Moment of the year:
    mayor.jpg

Spider-Gasm.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's weak because all they have to do is talk to one another.
    Bendis: hey, have you worked out what happens when spidey reveals his identity to other heroes yet? I want him to show the other NA members who he is.

Spider-team: we don't know yet

Bendis: Will they remember him like Geoff Johns did with the Flash? Or what?

ST: we don't know yet

Bendis: you do know my book will come out before yours does, right?

That makes the whole coma girl thing make no sense. Both sides are to blame, no one was defending Bendis, he just did it first.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So Uncanny was pretty good, but can someone tell me if should know who the big reveal was at the end?

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    To concede defeat, I'll just post what I posted in the other thread.

Read most of what I got. Legacy and X-Factor were amazing, but Cap and Uncanny weren't too shabby either.

Legacy:
    Rogue spends most of the issue being preached at by holograms. A memory of Magneto from the Savage Land keeps saying, "To share your power is to lose it. And lose yourself. Take the final step and be free." The last panel is Xavier and Gambit fighting with a bunch of Shi-Ar, one about to kill Gambit, and a huge shining light comes off-panel and Rogue says, "Shugah, I wouldn't do that." Next month! :(

And then this X-Factor image speaks for itself. (Last page of the issue, don't click of you don't want to find out!)
    img001-1.jpg

And I'm enjoying the X-Men Think-Tank, even though it had little appearance this issue.
    img002.jpgimg003.jpg
    smokmnky wrote:
    So Uncanny was pretty good, but can someone tell me if should know who the big reveal was at the end?

Kwannon
    was the original owner of Psylocke's current body. She was a ninja or something. Then they switched, then Kwannon (in Betsy's body) died.

Faynor on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Who is doing the art on the X-men?

Were they on Ironman recently?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I almost forgot. Sharon, in Captain America, was pretty heart-breaking. Fairly big spoiler.
    She found out she was pregnant, and was remembering more from her captivity. Specifically when MODOK said something about not even comprehending what she's seeing. She thinks it was Steve.

Greg Land and Terry Dodson are alternating arcs on X-Men. That's Land up there. Iron Man is being done by Larroca, I think.

Faynor on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    really hoping that the last page in GLC #35 is a swerve because
    Soranik being Sinestro's daughter is predictable and sort of lame. I suppose it's better than it being Katma but why do characters always have to be related to each other.

I do sort of like what it does to the Sinestro / Kyle animosity, though.

Rans on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Why the hells would they ever trust her again? I'm glad I'm not reading any X-title.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    I almost forgot. Sharon, in Captain America, was pretty heart-breaking. Fairly big spoiler.
    She found out she was pregnant, and was remembering more from her captivity. Specifically when MODOK said something about not even comprehending what she's seeing. She thinks it was Steve.
    That isn't MODOK. I forget his name just now, but MODOK is the big head guy.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Also, as a GLC question,
    why wouldn't Arkillo just communicate through his ring? Or make a tongue construct?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Why the hells would they ever trust her again? I'm glad I'm not reading any X-title.

Beast saw her during Endangered Species. She seemed pretty regretful then of all the things she'd done, and gave him as much information as she had. I'm fuzzy on her role in Astonishing, but didn't Breakworld pretty much force her to help?

Edit: Why does Sinestro look so much like Hitler?

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It was brought up actually, and Arkillo says it's a reminder (the corps members are going "how did he tell you?" "he wrote it down, stupid").

TexiKen on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also, as a GLC question,
    why wouldn't Arkillo just communicate through his ring? Or make a tongue construct?

No reason other than it's more dramatic this way, I suppose. Tomasi often ignores practical logic in favor of a more grandiose solution. Not complaining, I usually enjoy his grandiose solutions.

Rans on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Beast saw her during Endangered Species. She seemed pretty regretful then of all the things she'd done, and gave him as much information as she had. I'm fuzzy on her role in Astonishing, but didn't Breakworld pretty much force her to help?

No, she was willfully ignorant more than anything else.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Again, it's been a long while since I read it, but why is presenting a cure so bad? A lot of Mutants wouldn't mind not having their powers. You're acting like she was shooting mutants with the cure left and right. I don't think she ever forced the cure on anyone, did she?

And there's still the whole gigantic alien overlord saying he'll kill you if you don't do what he says.

Faynor on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Armin Zola.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I get the two confused. Whatever, big head guy is a big head guy is a big head guy.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Again, it's been a long while since I read it, but why is presenting a cure so bad? A lot of Mutants wouldn't mind not having their powers. You're acting like she was shooting mutants with the cure left and right. I don't think she ever forced the cure on anyone, did she?

And there's still the whole gigantic alien overlord saying he'll kill you if you don't do what he says.
    A whole bunch of mutants (including Colossus) had to be killed and tortured to get the cure. She was aware of the process required to get the samples she needed. She chose to be unaware of this, but it happened in her own building and labs, so the likelihood that she didn't know is pretty low. The problem was not with the cure, but in how the cure was reached.

This isn't even going into the idea of a cure being a single shot is horribly moronic.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Armin Zola.

Except when he's looking for loose change, in which case he's Armin Sofa

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I get the two confused. Whatever, big head guy is a big head guy is a big head guy.

Not really. MODOK floats, has tiny limbs, and is a head in an X-Men styled headgear about the size of a Smart Car.

Armin Zola is a bipedal human body with a camera where his head and neck would be, and a face projected onto his torso.
    Same as Red Skull for the moment.
    Armin Zola.

Except when he's looking for loose change, in which case he's Armin Sofa

Ba-Dum-Bum.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    All I grabbed this week was action comics and the exiles #1 from last week (thanks to those who suggested it; it was pretty cool).

Action Comics still isn't amazing, but I probably won't drop it like I was planning.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I picked up Exiles as well. I was pretty pleased with it.

Faynor on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm pretty sure I called the GLC reveal at the end of last month's issue. I enjoyed the story of GLC as always, but Gleason seemed a bit off his game this week. A lot of the art, particularly the faces, was not as detailed or crisp as his stuff usually is. Seemed like it was a bit rushed.

I'd have to say so far my motw goes to Captain America. Brubaker has done such an amazing job with this series. And I love Sam. Any issue with Falcon in it is always good.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I feel like I should post at least something

Action Comics:
    So it's very possible (albeit unlikely) that Flamebird might die and be replaced. Also, Jimmy and Lois have been integrated into the story line. Chris/Nightwing is really underpowered, but he has special moves he learned in the phantom zones that kryptonians and daxamites don't have. They barely got away from Ursa. It wasn't even so much a defeat.

So I'm liking the dynamic a little better, but I'm still not completely sold on the concept.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The one thing I didn't like about Exiles is that I want one universe where Wolverine doesn't matter.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    His skeleton had a cameo.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I should have scanned that and made it my desktop.

I loved that image.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I was talking about their mission.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I was talking about their mission.

Their mission has nothing to do with him, does it?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think easily the best part of GLC this issue was
    giant fucking Sinestro Corps space anaconda

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wait a minute, thread

in uncanny
    Kwannon is back? Seriously?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    wait a minute, thread

in uncanny
    Kwannon is back? Seriously?
    Probably not permanently if she took over Psylocke's body since Psylocke is in the next arc. But yes.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    dang

why

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    'Cause there aren't enough female X-Villains currently alive? Maddy's crafting quite the little girl's only club.

And, upon checking again, Psylocke's body is still in the background. So I'm not really sure what purpose Psylocke served to make Kwannon's very dead body to be un-dead, unless there's some "residual psychic spirit" mumbo jumbo".

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    They're possibly putting Betsy back in her original British body, which seems completely unnecessary

They also did it just for Land to draw more pinups.

I've noticed with Land's work now (I didn't buy the book, read it in store so I don't have it in front of me) that when he tries to draw something beyond the traced image, the new art looks so obvious and different.

For instance, in the Uncanny preview, Deathstrike's hands look completely different than the rest of the art, because he had to actually draw something and not trace it. The lines are really thick and the detail is way off.

Also, Emma has about 5 different faces this issue.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    look I was just joking a bunch of times when I said that the X-Books so want to go back to the 90's but with good writers

but goddamn they are really doing it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Who's to say it's unnecessary? Betsy could use a change of pace.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I hate Psylocke, and all generic ninja sexpots.

Robos A Go Go on