As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm making an orc (NSF56K)

MKRMKR Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Artist's Corner
Not based on any particular story, but I've seen so many orcs in so many movies/shows/games that I'm sure inspiration was pulled from somewhere.

http://www.mkronline.com/wip/orchead/firsttry.jpg
http://www.mkronline.com/wip/orchead/OrcWIP2.jpg
http://www.mkronline.com/wip/orchead/OrcWIP3.jpg

Edit: Made in Blender over the course of the day.

MKR on

• paulwindpaulwind Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    avoid being yelled at in three easy steps:
    MKR wrote:
    firsttry.jpg
    OrcWIP2.jpg
    OrcWIP3.jpg

paulwind on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I didn't embed them because of the size (file and dimensions). :|

MKR on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This looks more like a blob with holes in it, than an orc.

Try drawing out a skull first, and then work off of that...because right now, your form really doesn't seem to have any underlying structure whatsoever. This is the reason I'm getting a "blob" feel out of it. None of the bumps/cavities on the side of the face or on top of the head seem to have any reason for being there. It just doesn't make sense from an anatomical point of view.

The eyes are also oblong spheres, when they should be spheres. The whole thing just doesn't shout "plausable" to me.

Well, for one, you have a LOT of negative space around your images. There's no reason you can't crop them to fit the screen better.

Also, if you're afraid your images are going to be a hefty download, you can always put "NSF56K" (not safe for a 56K modem, i.e. lots of files/huge files) in the title, and nobody really complains. It's just when you start a thread, it's asked that you have actual images in your post rather than links.

NightDragon on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited December 2006
    What she said.

Also, you might want to post a wireframe version in future iterations, makes it easier to crit the topology. Right now it looks like you took a sphere, pushed and pulled some polys, and then smoothed the shit out of it, without reforming the topology to fit the features of the face. Back off a bit on the polys, make sure the model makes sense at a low poly level before moving on. Go general to specific. That way the model remains easy to edit and correct mistakes for a longer period of time- major reworkings of ultra-high poly models are a bitch and a half to do.

Here's a good reference
    for showing how to set up edge loops that makes sense sense for animation, keeps the model clean, and is all quad polys for good, clean subdividing when you want to go high-poly.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What she said.

Also, you might want to post a wireframe version in future iterations, makes it easier to crit the topology. Right now it looks like you took a sphere, pushed and pulled some polys, and then smoothed the shit out of it, without reforming the topology to fit the features of the face. Back off a bit on the polys, make sure the model makes sense at a low poly level before moving on. Go general to specific. That way the model remains easy to edit and correct mistakes for a longer period of time- major reworkings of ultra-high poly models are a bitch and a half to do.

Here's a good reference
    for showing how to set up edge loops that makes sense sense for animation, keeps the model clean, and is all quad polys for good, clean subdividing when you want to go high-poly.

It's only about 200 polys - the slick look comes from a mesh modifier that makes it appear smooth.

I definitely neglected the structure, but after looking at some references it's starting to look quite a bit better.

Edit: after turning off the smooth mod, I realize that the reason it looks like it does is because it was hiding the atrocious poly placement. I think it's still savable, though.

MKR on