As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Drop in PA readership last June

MeatflagMeatflag Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm writing a paper on source credibility as part of a media course, and I wanted to drop in Penny Arcade's ESRB campaign, among others, as a example of a persuasive campaign that would demonstrate knowledge outside of just the texts we've been given. I did a quick Alexa rank search to check PA's reach when compared to other popular gaming webcomics.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/penny-arcade.com+little-gamers.com+pvponline.com+ctrlaltdel-online.com

There's a significant drop in all cases in the middle of last year. Comparisons of other websites don't seem to show this. Does anyone know of a logical reason for this?

Meatflag on

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    People go outside in June instead of checking the forums every day in study hall. They all show it from what I can see, just not as pronounced.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • MeatflagMeatflag Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That was my first thought, but if that were the case, it would have risen back again late in the year.

I did find something on Wiki saying that in April 2008 Alexa altered their ranking system, but I can't find anything from Alexa that confirms this yet.

edit- Found it. http://blog.alexa.com/2008_04_01_archive.html

Meatflag on
  • wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Alexa (or at least Alexa alone) isn't a reliable measure of a website's relative popularity. Only a site's own statistics are meaningful metrics, but if you do want to use outside assessments, you need multiple sources (Alexa, Quantcast, etc).

A drop in a site's Alexa ranking could be caused by a number of things, and ironically enough, "fewer visitors" is rarely one of them. ;)

wasted pixels on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, if you look at your specific comparison, ctrl-alt-del actually matches PA's drop. I'm inclined to believe the drop is Alexa-related, not PA related.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • MeatflagMeatflag Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Yeah, if you look at your specific comparison, ctrl-alt-del actually matches PA's drop. I'm inclined to believe the drop is Alexa-related, not PA related.

Yeah, I was originally looking for something like a cable getting chopped in half or something of the kind at first - sorry if that wasn't clear. It definitely seems like it's an Alexa issue given the April change.

Quantcast's figures break it down better but they have different types of data for different sites, which makes it difficult to compare. Much better resource though, thanks.

Meatflag on
  • oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    From my history in reading these kinds of graphs, that very much looks consistent with a change in reporting standards.

onceling on