As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Justice Society Returns...Again!

Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Graphic Violence
This is it sports fans, the moment I, and possibly two or three of you have been waiting for.

Justice Society of America #1

jsa1-1.jpg

The story? After pretty much getting their collective asses handed to them by the Gentleman Ghost, (only being saved by the fact that Stargirl kept it in her pants long enough) not too mention a really big Crisis, the majority of the team drifted apart. Hawkman disappeared (yeah yeah..again), Stargirl went off to college, Alan and Michael Holt joined up with Checkmate, and even Powergirl went off to have a shitty adventure with Supergirl in Kandor.

Well, it's been a year, and the big three (Jay, Alan, and Ted..duh..idiots) decide it's time to bring the old boys back, not to mention a few newbloods.

Who's in on the fun this time around? All your favorites of course!

Jay Garrick, Alan Scott, and Wildcat return as the "father figures", along with folks such as Hourman, Dr. Mid-nite, Liberty Belle, Hawkman, and the rest of the gang. Those featured on the cover to issue #1 are only a taste of the final roster, as this team is putting an emphasis on Society. Who are the new faces in the crowd?

First, we have a new Starman!

6644_180x270.jpg

Johns and Ross have been very hush hush about this new incarnation of the character, though all we know is that he'll be very different from previous versions.

Next, the granddaughter of ol Ma Hunkel, Maxine..aka "Cyclone"

6810_180x270-1.jpg

NRAMA: Looking at the team from a point of view inside the DCU, what role does the Justice Society serve? When other heroes think of the JSA, what do they think of?

GJ: "These are the guys we should probably act like." The Justice Society's motto now is, "The world needs better good guys," and that's something that's stated in issue #1, and it's true. The Justice Society's here to deliver them. Look at Mr. Terrific - he's had a good impact on the DCU, so has Dr. Mid-Nite and Hawkman's with his coming back. We want to make the Justice Society of America the DCU….main line, where characters come in.

Part 1 of Geoff Johns on JSofA

Interview with Dale Eaglesham

Preview of JSofA #1

Yeah, I love it.

Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
PSN: OrneryRooster
Bad Karma on

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    I was going to pick this up tomorrow, but it's $4 and I need to get my Santa's gift.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I usually don't read too much DC. But ill definetly be picking this up tomorrow.

Marathon on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So no STRIPE on the new team? Unfortunate. And has Damage always been that big? He seems like a completely different character than when he was with the Titans...

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    So no STRIPE on the new team? Unfortunate.

Wha? Where Stargirl goes, Pat Dugan isn't far behind.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Why be hush hush about that Starman unless he isn't going to be true to character with the same costume who was previously introduced?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Hensler wrote:

Yeah, but he isn't in the team pic, and I havn't seen him in any previews. I'm sure he'll pop up in a few issues and have some panels, but I doubt we'll see him much.

And what happened in the JSA issue of 52? Johns mentions it in his interview. I quit reading 52 for a few issues and just now put it back on the list for the Batman stuff. Sounds like I missed a cool JSA story...

Hensler on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    Ted and Alan talked about how kids suck, some girl showed up using the name "Jade" and Obsidian went batshit

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    tombomb666tombomb666 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Hensler wrote:

Yeah, but he isn't in the team pic, and I havn't seen him in any previews. I'm sure he'll pop up in a few issues and have some panels, but I doubt we'll see him much.

And what happened in the JSA issue of 52? Johns mentions it in his interview. I quit reading 52 for a few issues and just now put it back on the list for the Batman stuff. Sounds like I missed a cool JSA story...
    Alan, Jay and Ted boarded up JSA headquarters because of Luthor's everyman program. The young new Infinity Inc. said that they were old and weren't relevent to today's superhero scene.

Oh, and Ted spent Thanksgiving drinking alone in said boarded up building.

tombomb666 on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Hensler wrote:

Obsidian gets pissed because one of the new members of Infinity Inc. (normal humans who're granted powers and become heroes through the Lex Luthor process) has taken on the name of Jade. Alan Scott stops him from trashing shit too badly, and it's all basically about how the JSA is feeling phased out by the new Infinity Inc. who're treating heroism as a quick pass to celebrity.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Hensler wrote:

Again, the cover to issue #1 is not the final roster. Plus, the book is being written by Johns, so you can almost guarantee that Dugan will be getting as many cameos as he did in JSA.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Good art, but I really wish Allred or Cooke would do some JSA sometime.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hopefully.

I agree with whoever said Damage looks too much like Atom Smasher now - with that look and the chest symbol, I think people are going to get them confused.

Hensler on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I wish JSA could say "Fuck you guys" to Infinity Inc.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    hourcockiv9.jpg

That costume really says "look at my man girdle and how it accentuates my cockandballs"

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:

6810_180x270-1.jpg

Yowza. You can practically see her kidneys.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Why be hush hush about that Starman unless he isn't going to be true to character with the same costume who was previously introduced?
    Because it's Supernova.

that's just me speculating.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Because it's Supernova.

That would be interesting, because Luthor thinks that Supernova is Supes, and so he may try to send Infinity Inc after JSA.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    If there's still an Infinity Inc ONE YEAR LATER....*MUSICAL STING*

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Because it's Supernova.

That wouldn't happen, because everybody at DC has forgotten about Supernova (the coolest part of 52)... :x

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Supernova is in tomorrow's issue of 52

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Supernova is in tomorrow's issue of 52

Only because my boycott of the series worked.

Hensler on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I thought Hourman was just "strong". Is that a building he's holding up?

Did he juice up harder than normal or something?

EDIT: Oh it's a car.

Makes more sense.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    the most emasculating thing is that, if she's got her mom's powers now, liberty belle is probably stronger.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    The more I look at that picture, the more horrible it looks.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Is one of Liberty Belle's powers the ability to have really fucked up knees? Her left knee looks like it's "phasing" into her right leg!

Also that pic of "cyclone" makes her look like a drunken cheerleader. I approve.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:

Of course, you're Keith.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited December 2006
    jakeem looks like that midget retard black guy that used to be on the howard stern show all the time

beetlejuice

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Of course, you're Keith.

Oh, it's not Michael Turner bad or anything

but seriously, if you stare at it, it's one badly drawn picture

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Guys, I know nothing about the JSA or any of its members. I'm also generally unknowledgeable about the DC Universe. Will this affect my enjoyment of this book?

Sorta off topic: Power Girl is hot and I'd like to read more comics with her in them. Where's a good place to start?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    wwtMask wrote:
    Guys, I know nothing about the JSA or any of its members. I'm also generally unknowledgeable about the DC Universe. Will this affect my enjoyment of this book?

Sorta off topic: Power Girl is hot and I'd like to read more comics with her in them. Where's a good place to start?

Start here
    super4sj3.jpg

:winky:

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    That is seriously terrible advice. I dig Supergirl right now, but those Kandor issues were like an ass's ass.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    wwtMask wrote:

The first few issues of JSA Classified is pretty much the best Power Girl story ever.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    That is seriously terrible advice. I dig Supergirl right now, but those Kandor issues were like an ass's ass.

I didn't suggest it because of how well written it may be. He said she was hot, I don't think he cares too much about a compelling story. Plus I see that issue every time I go to the comic shop, I almost want to buy it just to see the reaction it would get from my wife.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Why exactly are they using shards of glass? (Yes, I know it isn't really glass)

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Marathon wrote:
    wwtMask wrote:

Start here
    super4sj3.jpg

:winky:

Yes. Looks first, story second. :P Isn't Power Girl an alternate version of Supergirl? How the heck are her boobs so significantly bigger than Supergirl's?

Either way, I may need to look into JSA Classified now.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Power Girl is the Supergirl of Earth 2.

The thing with her rack is because she underwent puberty in 5000 times the earth's gravity.

The apocrypha is that is was an in-joke between the artists to keep drawing her breasts bigger and bigger, and it eventually got out of hand. I don't know how true that is, but it certainly seems plausible.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited December 2006

The thing with her rack is because she underwent puberty in 5000 times the earth's gravity.

The apocrypha is that is was an in-joke between the artists to keep drawing her breasts bigger and bigger, and it eventually got out of hand. I don't know how true that is, but it certainly seems plausible.

Wow...uh, that 5000x gravity thing...that should've made the rest of her bigger too. :roll:

However, hooray for that in-joke. I'm far more interested in reading about Power Girl as a result. :winky:

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    wwtMask wrote:

Wow...uh, that 5000x gravity thing...that should've made the rest of her bigger too. :roll:

However, hooray for that in-joke. I'm far more interested in reading about Power Girl as a result. :winky:

There is actually a section on her wikipedia entry about that.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    In Justice League Europe #37, when Power Girl adopted a new blue and white uniform which also featured a hole in the chest area and she was asked by Crimson Fox about the "front window," Power Girl at that time replied that the costume "shows what I am: female, healthy, and strong. If men want to degrade themselves by staring and drooling and tripping over themselves, that's their problem, I'm not going to apologize for it." At this particular point in time, Power Girl was suffering intense mood swings because of an allergic reaction to artificial sweeteners in diet soda.

In Superman/Batman #4, Power Girl was given the responsibility of stalling for time with Toyman while Batman and Superman battled Captain Marvel and Hawkman. When Katana observed that Toyman only wanted to speak to Superman, Batman noted that "He is also a 13-year old boy. Find a way to distract him." Power Girl responded by saying "What's everyone looking at me for? How am I supposed to distract...oh."

In JSA: Classified #2, Power Girl told Superman why she had the hole on her chest, saying, "People always ask me why I have this hole right here. They think I’m just showing off… or just being lewd. But the first time I made this costume, I wanted to have a symbol, like you. I just… I couldn’t think of anything. I thought eventually, I’d figure it out. And close the hole. But I haven’t".

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    the gravity thing was a joke.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    the gravity thing was a joke.

I couldn't tell. The DCU is so alien to me that I'd accept anything said about it as truth.

Yeah, so I'm working on that. :oops:

wwtMask on