As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me become a [caffeine] addict

PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
A few weeks ago I changed my work schedule to start at 6 am. I did this mostly because I work downtown and I can find free parking early in the morning, get to the gym by 3 before the big post work crowd shows up, and avoid the worst of rush hour on the way home. It's a nice little routine and a lot more efficient than what I was doing before.

Unfortunately this means I have to get up at 4:30 am and it is kicking my ass at work. I will be sitting at my desk and and I can't keep my eyes open at all. I try going to bed at 9-10, and I'll occasionally nap in the afternoon, but I'll just have these spells were suddenly I get crazy tired.

I've always prided myself on being able to get up early and run on nothing but my own awesome natural energy. I used to work a 4am retail job and I got by, but that involved lots of moving and activity, whereas now I sit in a chair and stare at a computer screen all day. Also I recently met a new girl, so I end up staying up late on the weekends :winky: at the cost of my weekend catch up sleep :( .

I tried a 5 hour energy drink the other day. It worked, but I am not really a fan of the concept of the energy drink filled with who knows what. The past two days I have bought some chai tea at a local coffee place, which also worked, but they were a bit sweet and I don't feel like paying 3 dollars a day for something when I could make my own coffee or tea.

I know my brother (roommate) has a coffee maker, but I know nothing about coffee, and the one time I tried it I found it tasted gross (though I love the smell). I'm looking for some advice on how to get started drinking coffee or tea or some sort of caffinated drink that will help me stay awake at work. What are some good flavors or brands, best way to brew, etc.

tl;dr Looking for recommendations of caffinated beverages I can make at home that won't cost 4 dollars a day.

Pellaeon on

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Try going to bed at 7-8? I know it sucks. I used to have to get up at 4:30 to work a 12 hour shift and it was awful. I learned to tolerate coffee there. I just bought the least coffee-like coffee they had in the vending machine it would do okay to get me by.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Seriously, just get to sleep earlier. Relying on caffeine like that for long periods of your life really isn't the best idea. I used to work 6am to 3pm. I usually went to bed by 10pm, occasionally as late as 11. Every 2-3 months I would have a week where I would just pass out about 7pm every day, no matter how hard I tried not to. That also wasn't really the healthiest way to do things.

Unfortunately, I don't have any coffee recommendations to help out there. I just drink whatever Folgers or Maxwell House we have a coupon for that my wife picks up. It's not fancy, it's just plain old, average, coffee. Someone who doesn't like coffee probably wouldn't like it. Someone who does like coffee mostly drinks it because it's cheap.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pellaeon wrote: »

I know my brother (roommate) has a coffee maker, but I know nothing about coffee, and the one time I tried it I found it tasted gross (though I love the smell). I'm looking for some advice on how to get started drinking coffee or tea or some sort of caffinated drink that will help me stay awake at work. What are some good flavors or brands, best way to brew, etc.

tl;dr Looking for recommendations of caffinated beverages I can make at home that won't cost 4 dollars a day.

Well, as mentioned it's not really healthy to try to heavily rely on caffeine for a long period of time.

That said, if you don't like coffee, just stick with tea. Just go to the grocery store and look at their selections of tea bags and buy a few types that look good, or a sampler box or something (just make sure it's not decaffeinated). It's not ideal for all types of tea, but at work I just brew the tea bag for a few minutes in the hot water from our water dispenser.

Obviously if you want you can get fancier and buy looseleaf tea, and an electric kettle or something to heat water and whatnot, but it's not necessary.

Daenris on
  • Options
    FuzzywhaleFuzzywhale Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    my setup includes:
    1. a french press
    2. electric kettle
    3. coarse ground coffee beans

set the electric kettle, let it boil but also come off the boil: You just want really warm water. Then add 3 teaspoons for every cup of water, then add the water, stir it up and let it sit for 4 minutes. Press the grinds and your cup of coffee is good for twenty minutes.

Fuzzywhale on
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You could pop a no doze. I wouldn't recommend doing so too often, but it has the same caffine content as 2 cups of coffee. I usually pocket one if I had a rough night just in case I can't make it through the day.

blakfeld on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Coffee's an acquired taste. Buy some, buy it black, and when you start getting tired drink some. Eventually you'll start enjoying the flavor. And a cup or two a day is actually good for you.

Quid on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Uh, a cup of coffee a day isn't going to hurt him. In fact, it will actually be good for him. As long as you're not downing a cup of joe every hour or so, the caffeine stimulates your metabolism, which is good if you're trying to drop a few pounds, and I'm pretty sure the coffee is like the equivalent of a glass of red wine a day for your heart. I could be wrong, but I could have sworn I read that.

I mean yeah, getting to sleep at a decent hour is going to be healthy as well, but it's not like a cup a day is going to kill you.

I don't know if you have a Safeway around you, but I always go with their Safeway Selects brand. I've had good success with their Irish Cream and French Vanilla (I need heavily flavored coffee because I can't drink it straight up. It's awful.)

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    oh god, stay away from the work day caffeine
    it just burns you out mid-day and makes you grumpy
    it's fine, and even good for you to have one cup a day, but i find if i have it during or before my work day, i burn out, because you're just sitting there being inactive.

i just cut it out and replaced it with vitamin water which seems to do the trick well enough for me.

beavotron on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Unless you're intent on buying Maxwell house or whatever, you can always experiment with some lighter or less acidic beans. Also, cheap coffee makers will make sub-par coffee. If you don't wanna spend the money on a nice one, you can always shop around at garage sales and maybe pick up a nice one for cheap. That's how I've gotten my last three espresso machines.

Edit: A cup in the morning and a cup in the afternoon, with a good night's rest, would probably keep you going.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    if you space it out coffee should keep you going through the day. of course i say this as someone who downs about a pot in the morning to get him going, so take it from someone who knows the crashes- space your intake out.

also, coffee's been proven to be good for the liver so if you're a drinker, coffee isn't a bad idea.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    EdilithEdilith Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Not to go off-topic, but are you eating breakfast? And if so, what? Without a decent breakfast in me I can drink all the coffee in the world and still be a sleepy useless lump.

Edilith on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I drink the horrible coffee at my work by drowning it in a good tasting creamer. I prefer the Coffee Mate French Vanilla. I just keep a jar in my desk and take it with me to the coffee machine.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah nothing wrong with adding some sugar and creamer to a coffee. The purists will complain, but fuck the purists. Still, coffee/caffeine isn't a silver bullet. I can down a coffee and then take a nap afterwards if I'm sleepy. It really does little for me, for some reason.

One thing to keep in mind is that caffeine will make you jumpy and irritable if you consume it on an empty stomach. Have a granola bar or something before drinking it in the morning, abstain prior to lunch, and have another cup after lunch to fight off the food coma. Then make sure you don't drink any before dinner, either.

But again, coffee or caffeine won't make you a superman, at best it'll simply keep you awake during the day yet still sleep fatigued. So instead of being sleepy at work you'll be a zombie at work.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wouldn't bother with any type of fancy presses or kettles until you know what you actually like to drink. Coffee or tea, and how you like it.

I was in a similar situation a few (wow, ok, actually more like 8) years ago, and I got into drinking iced coffee. It was overall less harsh to me, and a good start into the world of coffee. Fast forward to know, and I don't just tolerate, but I actually enjoy coffee. Unless its really cheap garbage, I drink it black.

Oh also, keep in mind all of the extra calories you could inadvertently add through cream and sugar. I was having a cup or two a day when I first started, not really thinking much of it. Then I added it up, and I was actually adding a ton of sugar, fat, and calories into my diet.

Omnicron9999 on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Black coffee is what you want. It's good for you and provides a nice, even boost if you don't chug it within ten minutes. Absolutely no more than 2 cups in a day. If you find yourself getting a headache, you're experiencing withdrawal. Have a small cup and then cut back your regular consumption.

TL DR on
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I eat breakfast, two cups of old fashioned oatmeal and a banana every morning.

I've been working on my sleeping schedule, trying to get to bed around 9 and not 'almost at 9 whoops 10:45.'I've actually done better the past couple of days, I'm starting to wake up naturally before my alarm goes off again rather than getting the 4:30 "oh fuck" feeling. Part of it is definitely readjusting my weekday sleeping to match up with my new weekend sleeping reduction.

Usually I am ok after 9 or 10 am regardless, but I'll get hit with some super drowsiness in the morning. If I could take a 15-30 minute nap I would probably be fine but it's hard to do at work (though I have managed on occasion). Also walking around helps but I can't alway time my walk to match my drowsiness.

I'm pretty sure a single cup of coffee or tea would be enough to get me through that. If I feel drowsy in the afternoon I can nap that off a lot easier.

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Breakfast and some coffee can perk you up in the morning, especially since you're getting up when it's dark out.

Also, try and set a consistent sleep schedule. Go to sleep around the same time every night; if you can't sleep, get up and do something for a bit, don't sit in bed wide awake. Get up at the same time every day - set your alarm and get up when it goes off, don't set it early and hit snooze a bunch of times. This will train your brain to get sleepy at the time you need to go to bed.

Also, you can't really "catch up on sleep" on the weekends. You can rest if you're tired, but it will just screw up your sleep schedule if you sleep in way late. Especially on Sundays, make sure you are getting up early enough so you are actually spending a full day awake - e.g. if you need to go to bed at 10PM don't get up at noon on Sunday.

You can also make your own tea at home and take it with you. Your work might also have hot water to make tea. Just get an insulated travel mug and some half-decent black tea - it doesn't have to be something fancy, you can get whatever is at your grocery store that comes in a box of individual tea bags.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As other have said just go to bed earlier during the week. Replacing sleep with caffeine is a bad idea for the simple reason that caffeine is a drug and as with all drugs the more you use it the less it works. Six months down the line the caffeine won't work you'll be hooked on it anyway and you'll just be a grumpy asshole because of it.

I know a 8 pm bedtime at your age will suck but its that or change your schedule.

Casual on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I need to have tea every morning or else I get the dreaded headache. However, I only have one cup each day, otherwise I'll feel like shit.

I just get the plain ol' Lipton tea. After boiling the water in a tea kettle, I fill a mug up to the 3/4th mark, let the tea bag steep for a few minutes, then add sugar and milk. Delicious.

SteevL on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, caffeine is really not a substitute for sleep. You need 8ish hours, every night. Otherwise your body forces you to catch up via microsleeps. Sleeping in on the weekend doesn't cut it, and you'll just end up going to bed later on Sunday and fucking your schedule all over.

TL DR on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hypocritically speaking, caffiene is a bad way to go. Also its addictive, so why even start? Moar sleep- its not childish to go to bed early, and if its about the shows, get pvr or tivo or something. When I did 4am shifts, i was done by 8pm- had to darken my windows in the summer, but all in all it worked out alright. You wont miss out on anything, you can stay up later every once in a while.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2009
    I work 6am to 6pm often, in an office where I'm sitting in front of the computer for long periods of time. I also drink 1 cup or less of coffee a day (I also drink TONS of water).

Make sure you give yourself time every so often to stand up, stretch and maybe do a lap around the floor. Just getting up and walking around always helps get the juices flowing again.

The other thing you might consider is if you can save your workout until a bit later in the day it will make sure you are exhausted at night and sleep better.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Here we go:
    "Overall, the research shows that coffee is far more healthful than it is harmful," says Tomas DePaulis, PhD, research scientist at Vanderbilt University's Institute for Coffee Studies, which conducts its own medical research and tracks coffee studies from around the world. "For most people, very little bad comes from drinking it, but a lot of good."

Consider this: At least six studies indicate that people who drink coffee on a regular basis are up to 80% less likely to develop Parkinson's, with three showing the more they drink, the lower the risk. Other research shows that compared to not drinking coffee, at least two cups daily can translate to a 25% reduced risk of colon cancer, an 80% drop in liver cirrhosis risk, and nearly half the risk of gallstones.

From http://men.webmd.com/features/coffee-new-health-food

I knew I read that somewhere. I was wrong on the heart thing, but it does have many benefits.

Coffee, is in fact, good for you.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Coffee is pretty much the only nutritional supplement I recommend for everyone (save pregnant women and children).

One to two cups a day is great for you. If you don't like the taste, just put some cream and sugar in it. It will absolutely help you to stay awake, and help keep your energy levels up (though, as others have said, it's no substitute for a good night's sleep).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    it's fine, and even good for you to have one cup a day, but i find if i have it during or before my work day, i burn out, because you're just sitting there being inactive.

i just cut it out and replaced it with vitamin water which seems to do the trick well enough for me.

You tell him to avoid coffee because of the crashes and recommend something full of sugar as a substitute?

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited May 2009

You tell him to avoid coffee because of the crashes and recommend something full of sugar as a substitute?
    Yeah, Vitamin Water is basically soda. You may as well be recommending Sprite.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009

Yeah, that's gloriously bad advice.

Black coffee, while carrying the problem of the occasional crash if you're relying too heavily on it (in which case you should fix your fuckin' sleep schedule), at least has health benefits. It's high in antioxidants, it boosts metabolism, and it's got about as many calories in it as hot water does (virtually none). Sure, there's the specter of a minor addiction that you can break over the course of a long weekend if you really want to, but the effects of a caffeine addiction are minor and easily managed anyhow :P

The second you add cream or sugar you're fucking up, though. And vitamin water is complete horse shit. You won't absorb any of the vitamins given that you're getting them without any of the co-factors present in the whole food sources that you're supposed to be obtaining them from, it's high in sugar, and it's fucking expensive compared to the other options.

Drink water, black coffee, black tea, or yerba mate. Add sugar to nothing. You do not need refined sugar in your diet.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Pheezer wrote: »

Yeah, that's gloriously bad advice.

Black coffee, while carrying the problem of the occasional crash if you're relying too heavily on it (in which case you should fix your fuckin' sleep schedule), at least has health benefits. It's high in antioxidants, it boosts metabolism, and it's got about as many calories in it as hot water does (virtually none). Sure, there's the specter of a minor addiction that you can break over the course of a long weekend if you really want to, but the effects of a caffeine addiction are minor and easily managed anyhow :P

The second you add cream or sugar you're fucking up, though. And vitamin water is complete horse shit. You won't absorb any of the vitamins given that you're getting them without any of the co-factors present in the whole food sources that you're supposed to be obtaining them from, it's high in sugar, and it's fucking expensive compared to the other options.

Drink water, black coffee, black tea, or yerba mate. Add sugar to nothing. You do not need refined sugar in your diet.
    I'm going to disagree with pheezer: if you don't like coffee, it's okay to add cream and sugar to it for awhile. It took me about four months to get to the point where I was drinking it black and enjoying it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Coffee is pretty much the only nutritional supplement I recommend for everyone (save pregnant women and children).

One to two cups a day is great for you. If you don't like the taste, just put some cream and sugar in it. It will absolutely help you to stay awake, and help keep your energy levels up (though, as others have said, it's no substitute for a good night's sleep).

This.

Seriously guys, the majority of people who drink coffee don't need it beyond a few cups in the morning to wake up.

You shouldn't be drinking it all day to keep awake (that means you're not getting enough sleep) but for clearing the fog in the morning it's great.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like coffee as a tasty beverage, and add a small amount of sugar and creamer so that I enjoy it. I was torn on creamer until I realized that the added fat kept the drink warmer for longer, so I could enjoy it over a longer period of time.

Still you guys did make me fill up my mug just now (I brew at home and bring to work in a nice thermos).

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I have a bit of a masochistic streak and took the same strategy with java as I did with liquor; I started with black coffee and grew to like it. The only thing I've ever added to it is creatine occasionally, though there was an article in the fitness thread cautioning against drinking it hot.

TL DR on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fuzzywhale wrote: »
    my setup includes:
    1. a french press
    2. electric kettle
    3. coarse ground coffee beans

set the electric kettle, let it boil but also come off the boil: You just want really warm water. Then add 3 teaspoons for every cup of water, then add the water, stir it up and let it sit for 4 minutes. Press the grinds and your cup of coffee is good for twenty minutes.

Win.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One thing you might consider is taking an apple to work and eating that about halfway through the day. That always helps me when I'm tired.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have to stick up for Vitamin Water in one aspect. It used to be like a soda in terms of calories, but they've recently lowered it to about 50 calories/bottle. I essentially drink it for every 2-3 glasses of water (I'm a big water drinker) to add some flavor - it's essentially just flavored water with vitamins I don't even think your body can absorb.

Sorry if this is getting off-topic, but it's a question about the healthiness of caffine. Out of curiosity, how is it healthy to force your body awake? I've had to use caffine to stay awake using sugar/caffeine before, and because I typically drink one caffeinated beverage per day (a soda) or less, I felt like hell half an hour before one of my exams started until I ate something. Apparently it was me coming off of a sugar crash - I only had an hour of sleep - but I thought it was from using caffeine to stay awake. I've never felt sick from a lack of sleep, so I figured it was from drinking sodas and the like to stay awake. Maybe next time I should try coffee...? It will inevitably happen next semester at college!

Black Ice on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I like the taste of coffee but absolutely will not be drinking it again. Whenever I do, I feel awake and alert for an hour or two. Then it hits. I shake, I feel nauseous. I can barely stand. I also get terrible stomach pains. After a few hours it goes away.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I like the taste of coffee but absolutely will not be drinking it again. Whenever I do, I feel awake and alert for an hour or two. Then it hits. I shake, I feel nauseous. I can barely stand. I also get terrible stomach pains. After a few hours it goes away.
    Do you eat breakfast, or are you drinking coffee on an empty stomach?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I get that reaction about once every 6 months. No idea why, but it does make one hate coffee for about a week. Then the dark cravings come back

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I don't eat breakfast, but I'm not drinking it on an empty stomach. I usually have a biggish lunch (healthy of course) then maybe an hour later, I get a coffee.

I've tried to eat breakfast. On weekends I do. But it makes me feel sick usually, so I only eat it when I don't have places to go, ie: uni, work.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    TinuzTinuz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Beyond the coffee, may I suggest regularizing your schedule?

Try to go to bed at set times, and wake up at set times. Getting out of bed directly. For me, this makes my sleep more effective (as a fall asleep as soon as it is 'time' and I see a bed) and I wake up less because I need to take a leak or whatever.

Try to eat at set times and fix your diet. Again, eating at set times makes your body 'time' itself so that you get hungry at those times, and I guess derive more energy from your food. Also, taking in the proper amount of nutrients helps...at least for me, when I get stressed/too busy I tend to eat too little.

I don't know if there is any scientific basis for this, other than that it helps you have a healthy lifestyle no matter what. However, for me this has always worked wonders.

EDIT: Oh yeah, HAVE BREAKFAST! If I am rushed, it hurts my stomach, so I tend not to have it either. However, when I am with my girl, I do (she always has, so I join) and I am more energetic during the day (or it is the lack of sexual frustration ;) )

Tinuz on
  • Options
    DanMachDanMach Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gotta add this in, you need to make sure you keep a good diet. Caffiene can act as an appetite supressant and can seriously screw your diet up. If you don't eat enough you will get tired from it, drink more coffee, eat less, vicious cycle.

DanMach on