As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oops, wrong profile on Xbox live

NatanekoNataneko Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello!
My boyfriend is kinda lazy and never connected his xbox 360 so wanting to be nice to him, I went in and made him an Xbox Live account

But I forget I was the one logged in. Is there a way to switch the account linked to Xbox live? or did I just fuck up? where is the reset buttons??

Edit: Or can I switch the game information from one profile to another and pretend all of this never happened?

Nataneko on

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Do you mean you tried to make him a Gold account but instead accidentally made your profile the Gold account? I'm having a little trouble figuring out what you mean. Silver Live accounts are the ones that you can set up for free, Gold accounts are the ones you pay for and that you use for playing online.

Game saves can't be transferred to another account, regardless of whether it's Silver or Gold.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I made him the gold account, using what he wanted to be his gamertag, but using my profile with all my save game.

Nataneko on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, you messed up. You can't move saves between profiles.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If he still wants his gamertag, you will have to buy Microsoft Points and change your gamertag to something else (it costs 800). That'll free up the GT to be used by him.

If you used his email too, you'll have to set it up with a different email address.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This sounds like the local profile was linked to a Live gamertag (while some people seem to be assuming it's a misspelled gamertag or a wrong account type).

As far as I know it's not possible to change the profile an account is linked to (it might be possible if you have 2 360s, but probably not). It should be possible to change a profile's settings around so that it matches whatever he wants (but you'd then need to create a new profile and beat all of your games again).

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    If he still wants his gamertag, you will have to buy Microsoft Points and change your gamertag to something else (it costs 800). That'll free up the GT to be used by him.

If you used his email too, you'll have to set it up with a different email address.

She would also have to pony up for another Gold account.

capnrico on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Willeth wrote: »

Are you sure this is true? I know that MS aren't recycling Gamertags from expired accounts... ever. I tried recovering mine to no avail, because I had no idea what my final four numbers on the credit card were (as it was years ago). MS wouldn't help at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if changing the tag doesn't actually free the old one.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    You will have to sign him up under a seperate account. Unfortunately MS doesn't recycle gamertags so I don't know if you paying for a name change would let him claim it.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Their official guide on xbox.com advises you to do what I said. I'll see if I can find the link.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    http://www.xbox.com/en-AU/support/xbox360/live/account/mergeoflineprofile.htm

10. Quick like a mouse, before another gamer grabs your now-free gamertag, repeat steps one and two to change the name of Trixie361—with which all your games and achievements are now associated—back to your original gamertag, Trixie360. (If you moved Trixie360 to a memory unit in step three, this would be the time to move it back to your Xbox 360 console, no additional name changing required.)

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Actually, this one's probably more relevant:

7. Once you've recovered your online Xbox.com profile for Trixie360 to your console, repeat steps one and two above to change the name of this gamertag to something other than Trixie360, say, Trixie362. (From Edit Gamer Profile, select Gamertag.)

Note

You must redeem Microsoft Points to change a gamertag linked to an Xbox Live membership. If you have no Points you'll have the option to purchase them. For more information, see Account Management FAQ: Microsoft Points.

At this stage you'll have two profiles, neither of which is named for your original gamertag. Trixie360 is now available.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    At least it was just the free gold membership that came with the xbox. Well I'll try to fix all this, change the email and everything and hope I can manage to do something with this mess. :P It still is really dumb to have to pay what... 10$ for a name change??

Nataneko on