As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cat arthritis

DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So when I was in about grade 8, I found a small kitten half frozen to death in a car wash in the dead of winter. I brought it home, and it became a great pet over the years, being one of the most friendly and amiable cats I've ever met.

I recently came back home from university to find my cat still as good natured as ever, until a few days ago, when I found it laying in its sleeping box for almost 2 days straight, refusing to eat or move.

It got up today, and moved about with noticeable pain. I brought it to the vet to discover my cat has arthritis. I was given some pain killers to give it, but, I am wondering, what can I do to make it more comfortable now? My home has 4 floors, and moving up and down stairs is proving difficult for it. It prefers to lay on the carpet in the main floor it seems. Should I encourage it to excersize more, or find it a nice, secluded spot away from household traffic to rest more often?

rqv6.png
Davoid on

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Glucosamine has been able to do some pretty good things for people I know with dogs, it isn't cheap and the dosage does tend to need to be kind of high. You can ask a vet about a supplement and how much to give. Pain killers aren't a long term solution.

How old is the cat?

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    about, hn, 9 years old now

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    you could try getting him an orthopedic bed or two so it has a supportive place to sleep. maybe a heating pad for him to lay on.

hard cold floors are awful in terms of arthritis.

i would also think about switching his diet and try and get him to lose a little weight. the less he is carrying the easier on teh joints. also try some joint supplements. fish oil has anti inflamatory properties too.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meloxicam

It's pretty much the best thing in the world for gibbled up dogs and cats.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.