Options

[HUXLEY] closed beta is up!

kharvelankharvelan Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
So, the huxley closed beta is running now, I figured this would be a good spot to talk about what we are seeing as long as we aren't breaking the NDA.

I'd like to get together with other PA members for making a clan during CBT mainly to get used to clan management and to test the features.

so, if anyone else has the CBT for huxley and wants to get with me, the names Kharven in game.

I'd appreciate it if we keep screenshots etc to a minimum in the thread as we are all under an NDA and I'd like to not break that. I think general discussions of strats etc would be fine.

I do have a Vent server we can use if needed, so email me in game and I will get you access and info.

official site:
http://huxley.ijji.com/

closed beta main page:

http://huxley.ijji.com/cbt.nhn
(can sign up here too)

brief summary of the game:

Huxley will be an MMOFPS. The game has both PVE and PVP. There will be clans in the game as well as deathmatch, CTF, objective based capturing, and team deathmatch.

There are 2 factions:
Sapiens and Alts

update:

faction:

Sapiens
=-=-=

characters:

kharven
fooms
rayna

(please post your characters names if you'd like to be added to the list)

go fuck yourself PA forums
kharvelan on
«1

Posts

  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm in the cbt as well.

    Fooms is the character I'm using in game atm.

    Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You know I loved Planetside, and I think many people that used to play that game were looking forward to Huxley as a game to fill the niche of an MMOFPS somehow. However, the stuff I saw at E3 made me completely loose hope that this will be an interesting game.

    Take this trailer for example, fucking awful!: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-huxley/51002

    I can get over a bad trailer, but the gameplay was just stunningly generic: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-huxley/51065

    I haven't been keeping up with this game, but was the MMO aspect dropped completely? This is just Unreal Tournament death match!

    X3x3non on
  • Options
    kharvelankharvelan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    X3x3non wrote: »
    You know I loved Planetside, and I think many people that used to play that game were looking forward to Huxley as a game to fill the niche of an MMOFPS somehow. However, the stuff I saw at E3 made me completely loose hope that this will be an interesting game.

    Take this trailer for example, fucking awful!: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-huxley/51002

    I can get over a bad trailer, but the gameplay was just stunningly generic: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-huxley/51065

    I haven't been keeping up with this game, but was the MMO aspect dropped completely? This is just Unreal Tournament death match!

    since we are under NDA I can't say anything in detail.

    I will say that it's pretty goddamn amazing, and that I don't think anything you've seen can really explain what this game is like, I certainly wasn't expecting this amount of awesomeness in a beta.

    and foomy, I shall add you as a friend, I'd like to test some stuff out like trades, making groups, forming clans etc.

    I am playing sapien so hopefully you are as well, otherwise I gotta kill ya :)

    kharvelan on
    go fuck yourself PA forums
  • Options
    vatoreusvatoreus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    kharvelan wrote: »
    X3x3non wrote: »
    You know I loved Planetside, and I think many people that used to play that game were looking forward to Huxley as a game to fill the niche of an MMOFPS somehow. However, the stuff I saw at E3 made me completely loose hope that this will be an interesting game.

    Take this trailer for example, fucking awful!: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-huxley/51002

    I can get over a bad trailer, but the gameplay was just stunningly generic: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-huxley/51065

    I haven't been keeping up with this game, but was the MMO aspect dropped completely? This is just Unreal Tournament death match!

    since we are under NDA I can't say anything in detail.

    I will say that it's pretty goddamn amazing, and that I don't think anything you've seen can really explain what this game is like, I certainly wasn't expecting this amount of awesomeness in a beta.

    and foomy, I shall add you as a friend, I'd like to test some stuff out like trades, making groups, forming clans etc.

    I am playing sapien so hopefully you are as well, otherwise I gotta kill ya :)

    wtf game are you playing? When I log in, if the lag doesn't cause it to freeze out, it plays a lot like an UT deathmatch and there isn't a whole lot of the RPG that was supposed to be in it.

    vatoreus on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That video looked and sounded like Quake III.

    Is this game Quake III but you pay for it?

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know if the NDA prevents you form answering this, BUT, is there, or is there not a true open world environment. This would seem like a pretty essential thing.

    X3x3non on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Define true open world environment.

    Edit: What are your expectations?

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Instead of playing guessing games, what sets it apart from arena shooters, and what exactly makes it an MMO, rather than a FPS Guild Wars clone?

    Glal on
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    Instead of playing guessing games, what sets it apart from arena shooters, and what exactly makes it an MMO, rather than a FPS Guild Wars clone?
    Read on other forums and from what I can tell there is nothing unique about it:

    Crappy UT-clone at most, jumping and crouching does nothing for accuracy so bunny hopping is main mode of transportation in matches. "Classes" are mostly the same except for limiting to what few weapons you can use and a few skills. Gameplay-speed is UT but more bullets to kill someone, weapon use the same as in UT.(Did I mention they use the UT 2,5 engine? I bet they used stock-weapons included in the license).

    There is no "mmo" about it except maybe the "everyone meets in the same city"-aspect. Matches are 8 vs 8 at most (rank-locked and/or higher player count not in yet). Oh, and it's P2P-based matches (the hell) with the standard CTF, deathmatch, team-deathmatch and king of the hill.

    The official name of the game is Huxley: The Dystopia, which is funny because the HL2-mod Dystopia is a really good (free) sci-fi classbased fps.(Dystopia is so good that I'm surprised no publisher has picked it up, but thats not for this thread).

    Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well maybe the NDA covers the fact that the videos released are actually from a UT mod that the devs made for fun, and the real game is 100% different.

    maybe

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    SkayelSkayel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    From what I understand it is more or less Guildwars in FPS format.

    Skayel on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, I have no idea how developers can take a game that looked seriously interesting three years ago and totally smear it with shit.

    Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Someone probably said, 'It's not like Halo.'.

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Got a chance to play around with it a little bit before work.

    ...

    I'd actually like to play around with it more before I make up my mind about it. Stuck at a point in the Tutorial where I need to go fight a local match to proceed (couldn't get a game to start), but I think there's some potential in there. Saw some solo questing bits that reminded me (in a good way) of PSO...

    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Not in the beta, but what I'm hearing says that they've only put up a small chunk of the game up for CBT1.

    Zandracon on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jelloblimp wrote: »
    Crappy UT-clone at most, jumping and crouching does nothing for accuracy so bunny hopping is main mode of transportation in matches.
    Unsold, so hard.

    Glal on
  • Options
    kharvelankharvelan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zandracon wrote: »
    Not in the beta, but what I'm hearing says that they've only put up a small chunk of the game up for CBT1.


    yes the beta is only testing certain aspects of the game, it is not indicative of the final release. From what I understand the CBT is just for PVP balancing and load testing and to find game breaking bugs, it's not for a preview of the game.

    This is why the NDA is in place, it's a shame people are trashing a beta test when the game hasn't been completed.

    Anyways, if anyones on sapiens friend me, names kharven

    kharvelan on
    go fuck yourself PA forums
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm hoping for better things when the open it up to the rest of the game.

    TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Screw the NDA - it's not tied to my PA username.

    Basically, I'm really liking what I see so far. It has a good UT deathmatch in your "Local Play" games, which are quick and designed for that. You can level up, buy equipment, get skills and improvements and such.

    The CBT is specifically stated to be only a very small part, as mentioned earlier. There's a taste of PvE in the game right now, but the main PvE hub isn't in yet - that'll be coming when we get access to the city.

    There's also going to be large-scale massive PvP battles, which are supposed to be the main scope of the game. Judging Huxley based on what's in-game right now would be like judging WoW based soley off arenas, or even more closely, like judging Guild Wars based off the quick PvP battles you can do - with GW, there's a huge PvE side, and the PvP gets much more epic - the same will be the case here.

    Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2009
    Pretty sure I've asked people to not break NDAs before. Pretty sure.

    A duck! on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A duck! wrote: »
    Pretty sure I've asked people to not break NDAs before. Pretty sure.
    Sorry, I wasn't aware. Last I'd seen it was still okay. Were the rules updated?

    Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    give him 10 bucks and he'll change his mind.

    game looks like some terrible, mutated clone of UT3.

    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just got into the beta for this too, but I haven't been able to do more than try the tutorial. Is there a specific faction PA-ers are planning on using?

    Also, does anyone here know how to access their forums? Because as far as I can tell your player account and a forum account are separate things, seeing as how when I go there I'm getting a "You need to register" message despite the fact that it says "Welcome, Dartboy" at the top of the forum thing where you'd expect. And trying to register doesn't work, since my email account has already been used (no shit, since I signed up for their beta test).

    Dartboy on
  • Options
    kharvelankharvelan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dartboy wrote: »
    I just got into the beta for this too, but I haven't been able to do more than try the tutorial. Is there a specific faction PA-ers are planning on using?

    Also, does anyone here know how to access their forums? Because as far as I can tell your player account and a forum account are separate things, seeing as how when I go there I'm getting a "You need to register" message despite the fact that it says "Welcome, Dartboy" at the top of the forum thing where you'd expect. And trying to register doesn't work, since my email account has already been used (no shit, since I signed up for their beta test).

    my buddys and I are all sapiens

    as far as registering etc, I don't recall having too much trouble although it took a couple days before I could see the CBT forums.

    I just click the little forum button and it works

    kharvelan on
    go fuck yourself PA forums
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I got into the beta. I will be trying it out sometime later this week (fucking finals). I can't wait!

    urahonky on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    One of my friends frothed at the mouth over this game for so long that he finally flipped to the opposite polarity and hates on the very mention of it. MMOFPS, please don't suck.

    The OP definitely needs more info, either way.

    Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    kharvelankharvelan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    One of my friends frothed at the mouth over this game for so long that he finally flipped to the opposite polarity and hates on the very mention of it. MMOFPS, please don't suck.

    The OP definitely needs more info, either way.

    what info do you think would be relevant?

    I'll def update with faction and names of characters on server, but we are still under a heavy NDA so can't really post specific details. Besides, it would be unfair to post info on the game as it is very much beta and a lot is missing, the devs have made it very clear this is mainly a stress test and a balance test for pvp.

    kharvelan on
    go fuck yourself PA forums
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    so is this still going to be locked at 64 players/arena at launch?

    Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How about general info that's available, such as premise of game, storyline that's been made known, etc.? Background on the development cycle?

    Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    kharvelankharvelan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    How about general info that's available, such as premise of game, storyline that's been made known, etc.? Background on the development cycle?

    thats a good idea dark, I'll dig up stuff off their website and link em in the OP once I get home (I can't reach the site from work).

    kharvelan on
    go fuck yourself PA forums
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This has gone free to play, for those of you not in the know, and will probably include all the suck that that entails.

    Maticore on
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Write up a summary someone. It doesn't have to be long.

    hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, you guys play sapiens? I guess I can switch.

    TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jesus fuck this downloader/installer sucks monkey ass. I think I'm just going to say fuck it... My beta time runs out in a few days anyway.

    urahonky on
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sorry, Sapiens are so boring compared to Mutates. I can have space marine #8000 or kick-A orc/humans with rock-solid metal hair. I wonder which one I should choose.

    maraxus94 on
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rerolled Sapiens.
    Was vaguely surprised to see all the areas are identical, outside of name changes.
    Races barely play/feel any differently either.

    Kivutar on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Arise, thread! Thread arise!

    CBT2 is going to be starting in two days (the 30'th), and apparently it's going to be using the full client instead of the Lite one. You'll have to fully re-download it, so it sounds like you can go ahead and chuck your old client.

    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    NDA still up? Would like to know more

    darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Got the e-mail, will be joining this round of beta testing. Unfortunately, site is down for maintenance, so haven't even had a chance to download the client yet. What issues are you having, urahonky? Just taking forever?

    Also, I do have two questions. First, I'd like to mirror darkmayo's question about whether this is still under NDA. Secondly, where should I go if I would like to play with all you PAers?

    Dourin on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is there any other way to get in this without me having to become a fileplanet subscriber?

    tallgeeze on
Sign In or Register to comment.