Options

Character Screenshot Thread 8: Screenshot Harder

• Options
    DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Scosglen wrote: »
    also I hardly noticed a difference in the community when I played, except that if you ever mentioned WoW in any form at all, the playerbase would freak out and send you hate tells and attacks

This is pretty universal behavior in every single MMORPG that is not WoW.

Are you kidding? Even in WoW, people still freak out over what's gonna kill WoW or somesuch. :P

DracoGriffin on
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    http://images.mmosite.com/space/070123/biggish/fb49538e60ee.jpg

Armor like this is what people are refering too. I think they managed a negative artistic style score from crap like that.

Sonork on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sonork wrote: »

Armor like this is what people are refering too. I think they managed a negative artistic style score from crap like that.

I looks like he's from the future

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Did they even actually use textures early on in EQ2, or did they just say "Fuck that, bump mapping's the FUTURE!"

Garthor on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    lol cynic, stop trying to pretend that EQ2 always looked good. It's definitely improving with the armor, but that took what, like 5-6 years to come out with a different armor model?

also I hardly noticed a difference in the community when I played, except that if you ever mentioned WoW in any form at all, the playerbase would freak out and send you hate tells and attacks

Oh I know about their low rez bump mapping and very plastic armor but from what I have seen, that is largely dead and gone. Most armor models I see now are alright graphically with a few, like the one I am wearing is pretty stellar.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I didn't know what to expect when clicking that, but I did not expect anything that bad.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »

I didn't know what to expect when clicking that, but I did not expect anything that bad.

It's like spray on plastic armor. With a kind of T4 equivalent non tier set Karazhan plate paladin vibe to it, minus the shoulders.

Ugly as sin though especially compared to that.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just clicked on that link. D:

Looks like someone just figured out how to use a 3d modeling program.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Thankfully, a lot of the dudes you see running around in EQ2 don't look like that.

Mostly for two reasons. The first being nobody ever rolls a dwarf anymore. And two, appearance item slots.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The hate of other MMOs is exactly the same in every single MMO I'd ever played (and I'd subscribed to most of them at some point).
    On the other hand, I did find EQ2's community to be a notch above most, especially WoW (though that's not saying much). Could have had something to do with the fact that in both the guilds I was in the average player age was actually higher than my own, rather than half it.

Glal on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    To be fair, if you've ever been playing another MMO and all the channels are filled with people talking about WoW, you do rather want to slap them and ask them why they are playing this game.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The only game where WoW whining is nearable is in EVE's 0.0 alliances.

Bar a few dissenting voices, the vast majority don't hate WoW with a bitter tone. No; they pity the WoW players.

Obviously that's down to the considerable differences in both games, and long may it continue!

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Funny, I pity EVE players.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Exactly, it's a mutual hate, rather than getting the sense that everyone other fantasy MMO hates WoW because it is what they aren't. Successful.

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    To be fair, if you've ever been playing another MMO and all the channels are filled with people talking about WoW, you do rather want to slap them and ask them why they are playing this game.

This sums up my experience with the WAR trial. I was leveling my Orc dude and everyone kept talking about WoW.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That helm looks like Nosferatu, is inherently badass and part of my favorite instance progression raiding in wrath.

Plus I'm undead so it looks cool on me... anything looks terrible on a human male model, except facial hair.
    Well, it looks like half of Nosferatu, and the other half is obscured by a gigantic popped collar. The whole helmet looks sad. And I don't mean 'sad' in the sense that it looks poorly-designed (though it does), I mean the helmet actually looks like it suffers from severe manic depression. I hated it on my undead rogue, but that's me. The popped collar was the reason I hated the Nightslayer helmet and I thought for sure we'd never see it again.

Conversely, I think t10 is the one set that looks better on undead than any other race in the game. In fact it's the only race it looks good on, I daresay.

/opinionslol

Halfmex on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Scosglen wrote: »

This is pretty universal behavior in every single MMORPG that is not WoW.

I don't see much hate for wow when I play various free mmos. But then most of the people playing the free MMOs tended to be people who had grown bored of WoW for awhile and were playing something else.

And back when I was playing CoH before I started playing WoW I didn't see much WoW hate.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Seg wrote: »
    But then most of the people playing the free MMOs tended to be kids who don't pay for MMOs and have never played WoW outside of a trial.
    Fixed.

Glal on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Seg wrote: »
    But then most of the people playing the free MMOs tended to be kids who don't pay for MMOs and have never played WoW outside of a trial.
    Fixed.

You are wrong.

Seg on
  • Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    CoH really is it's own little universe.
    I found the player base to be oddly more mature and with a lot more actual adults playing than I would expect from a game based on Super Heroes.

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bloodshed wrote: »
    I found the player base to be oddly more mature and with a lot more actual adults playing than I would expect from a game based on Super Heroes.

Kids don't read comic books any more. Hell, kids don't read anymore period. Most of the comic fans I've seen are older folks, so it makes sense it would attract them.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

This sums up my experience with the WAR trial. I was leveling my Orc dude and everyone kept talking about WoW.

War Trial: General chat in Nordland and Norsica was nothing but WoW hate, sprinkled with the occasional penis/Chuck Norris joke and the occasional event LFG.

DDO: No WoW hate, mostly because I hardly had anyone to talk to due to the heavily instanced nature of that game.

EQ2: I think so far (since I'm currently trying out the 14 day trial of this) I've seen maybe 1 or 2 WoW comments, mainly neutral comparisons to differences between the 2 games. Chat usually consists of raid tells and trade.

EVE: Like what was said before, it's a mutual hate because EVE players pity the WoW players and their themepark, and WoW players envy the golden fields of space PvP so unreachably far in EVE due to the brutal learning curve and sandbox filled with, quite frankly, people hell bent on podding you and stealing your shit.

Aion: When I was playing this last a few months ago, there was some WoW hate, but in general, people complained more about the excessive botting and kinah farming and hard exp curve in the game they were playing.

Runescape: WoW hate, mainly from the little kids who hang out in the free areas who think they are awesome because they have full rune plate and spend all day cutting down trees to make lines of firepits.

Allods: WoW hate, because Allods is the glitchy Russian WoW clone people wish had better content and sound effects because it has badass robotic undead in it.

WoW: Even WoW has WoW hate, but since people are playing WoW and hate on it on principle, they usually get flamed and told to go play My Little Pony or something equally retarded.

I could list other games that aren't even MMOs that have WoW hate on occasion, but you get the idea. Everyone loves to hate WoW, even WoW players and especially ex-WoW players like me, purely because we've burned out on it enough times to realize we want better MMOs, which never come because WoW dominates the market. Although we should still also be blaming other developers for not being innovative and risk takers and not trying to come up with something better.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Riale wrote: »

Kids don't read comic books any more. Hell, kids don't read anymore period. Most of the comic fans I've seen are older folks, so it makes sense it would attract them.

That's a sad state of affairs, right there.

@Corehealer: I've always found it amusing that people will hate on another game, as if to reassure themselves of the quality of whatever game it is they're playing at the time.

Most of the MMO's suriving today have their Merits & Flaws.

I love combat in DDO. I love that I can dodge an arrow or Lightning Bolt if I move out of the way fast enough. I love Tumbling in combat, but God I wish they added content to that game faster.

I've found I like WoW a lot more if I try to be reasonable about my goals and pace myself.
    If I try grinding out 200 Heroism Badges on a newly Dinged 80 asap, I'm going to burn myself out fast, especially with the random factor of LFD and the fact that eventually you are going to have bad groups with silly geese in them.

I really enjoy LOTRO, but I always find myself bored after reaching the level cap, as if there isn't enough incentive for me to raid and get better geared before the next expansion.

These are just my thoughts, mind you.

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    Pat_McRochPat_McRoch Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    wowscrnshot031810211944.th.jpg

I was greeted by a giant feast on the way to ICC!

Pat_McRoch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

@Corehealer: I've always found it amusing that people will hate on another game, as if to reassure themselves of the quality of whatever game it is they're playing at the time.

I love combat in DDO. I love that I can dodge an arrow or Lightning Bolt if I move out of the way fast enough. I love Tumbling in combat, but God I wish they added content to that game faster.

I've found I like WoW a lot more if I try to be reasonable about my goals and pace myself.
    If I try grinding out 200 Heroism Badges on a newly Dinged 80 asap, I'm going to burn myself out fast, especially with the random factor of LFD and the fact that eventually you are going to have bad groups with silly geese in them.

I really enjoy LOTRO, but I always find myself bored after reaching the level cap, as if there isn't enough incentive for me to raid and get better geared before the next expansion.

@Riale: I read books all throughout my childhood, as well as Golden Age Marvel comics I inherited from my Mom's brother, who collected them. I love reading and writing and I too agree that unfortunately there are alot of people in my generation and younger generations that will be missing out on the unbridled joys of reading and the imagination that it brings out in young minds.

@Bloodshed: I don't ever actively hate on any games, I just criticize their shortcomings, WoW being among those with plenty. Hate implies a sense of ignorance driven by a primal urge to funnel one's frustrations at an easily identifiable thing which may or may not deserve hate. I don't play WoW anymore, but I don't hate the game and have actually encouraged sucessfully for others to give it a try as a good starting MMO, so they can find a love of the genre in one of it's most sucessful members.

I've never tried LoTRO except for the dwarven tutorial mission in the Lonely Mountain, which I got to play at PAX, but i've heard good things about it. I have my heart set more on GW2 and SW:TOR, but I'll always value anything to do with Tolkien's epic tale, including it's MMO equivalent.

I value your opinion and the opinions of everyone on this forum, because this community is on the majority a mature place full of cool people amidst the general stupidity of the internets. We all have our own views on shit and this is where we can all come and voice those views and have them agreed with/criticized/cited/dissected/used as a part of clever sarcasm/penis jokes. We all want the games we play, especially MMOs, to get better so that inmature hate like what we see in games like WAR and WoW and others become less prevalent as people have more to genuinely enjoy and love. :)

I need to dig up a screenie so we can get this particular thread back on track.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    Here's a slightly less dramatic screenshot.

Only a level 43 Shadowknight but loving the game so far. Especially the more mature player base.

Kyder0o8542.png

Well hello there old and busted grafix; what a lame horse.

All you need to do to realize the true beauty of EQII's graphics, is admire that beautiful bear in the background...

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Can we get more screenshots guys or do I have to post more Iksar?

Like seriously, does every thread in the MMO subforum have to be about WoW half the time?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

@Riale: I read books all throughout my childhood, as well as Golden Age Marvel comics I inherited from my Mom's brother, who collected them. I love reading and writing and I too agree that unfortunately there are alot of people in my generation and younger generations that will be missing out on the unbridled joys of reading and the imagination that it brings out in young minds.

@Bloodshed: I don't ever actively hate on any games, I just criticize their shortcomings, WoW being among those with plenty. Hate implies a sense of ignorance driven by a primal urge to funnel one's frustrations at an easily identifiable thing which may or may not deserve hate. I don't play WoW anymore, but I don't hate the game and have actually encouraged sucessfully for others to give it a try as a good starting MMO, so they can find a love of the genre in one of it's most sucessful members.

I've never tried LoTRO except for the dwarven tutorial mission in the Lonely Mountain, which I got to play at PAX, but i've heard good things about it. I have my heart set more on GW2 and SW:TOR, but I'll always value anything to do with Tolkien's epic tale, including it's MMO equivalent.

I value your opinion and the opinions of everyone on this forum, because this community is on the majority a mature place full of cool people amidst the general stupidity of the internets. We all have our own views on shit and this is where we can all come and voice those views and have them agreed with/criticized/cited/dissected/used as a part of clever sarcasm/penis jokes. We all want the games we play, especially MMOs, to get better so that inmature hate like what we see in games like WAR and WoW and others become less prevalent as people have more to genuinely enjoy and love. :)

I wasn't actually pointing my finger at you here, I was just adding to your point about people bitching in games about other games. Sorry if that came off wrong.

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

I wasn't actually pointing my finger at you here, I was just adding to your point about people bitching in games about other games. Sorry if that came off wrong.

It didn't, sal good.

Where's my Iksar wizard screenie?

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This thread is not living up to it's namesake....

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My dk, just hit 80:

ninjatroll.jpg

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    EWom wrote: »
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    Here's a slightly less dramatic screenshot.

Only a level 43 Shadowknight but loving the game so far. Especially the more mature player base.

Kyder0o8542.png

Well hello there old and busted grafix; what a lame horse.

All you need to do to realize the true beauty of EQII's graphics, is admire that beautiful bear in the background...

That's a bear? I thought it was a rock.

And yeah that horse is terrible looking.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    For a 2004 game that's a pretty decent horse, the stupid bump map aside.

Glal on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I always wondered how many people realized WoW and EQ2 released in the same month.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Arthil wrote: »

I always wondered how many people realized WoW and EQ2 released in the same month.

Wow went for style EQ2 went for tech.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I always thought Blizzard was brilliant to use the art style they did, because it has aged better than any other MMO ever has. Obviously the original race character models look like ass on the character select screen, but they make great use of textures on the armor to keep them looking cool, and the cartoony style keeps areas from looking too aged compared to other similarly aged games.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    TroobleTrooble Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    aion0000bg.jpg

Spoiler'd for huge.

All goes well for the purple demon queen of ladles.

Trooble on
  • Options
    martyllianmartyllian Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Silly geese are going to hate me, but.

I always thought that Blizzard bought/licensed their game engine from Disney. The similarities to Toontown online are uncanny. The polygon counts, the way things flow. movement, jumping. Quest structure. Slapa new coat of graphics and text on, and you have World of Warcraft. Ant IM not just saying it to start more flaming.

Anyhow to try to rerail the thread, MOAR SCREENIES!

53fbd44133d3be4d11c84475edffb7fc.jpg

This is Mahatma Grondhi. Id love to get a closer headshot. I spent a lot of time getting the face right. He even wears one of those indian diaper things.

62d7f35df75a660a482a316dc2d8b1a4.jpg
    Bionique. She has a cyborg arm, kind of like Bionic commando, only pretty.

My sad attempt at a Na'vi
    e90e451bae85d19c3a7676c4b1535566.jpg

martyllian on
    martyllian.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I always thought Blizzard was brilliant to use the art style they did, because it has aged better than any other MMO ever has. Obviously the original race character models look like ass on the character select screen, but they make great use of textures on the armor to keep them looking cool, and the cartoony style keeps areas from looking too aged compared to other similarly aged games.

Dark Age of Camelot has aged a whole lot better, in my opinion. Spandex chestplates are soo 2003.

Warning Heug
    dao8377484-1.jpg

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That terrain, so beautiful

The pinnacle for me in graphics design is LotRO. It's only 3ish years old, but is definitely way ahead of the WoW/CoH/EQ2 generation, and unlike the ChO/STO engine, it didn't make my last few video cards choke and die. I needed my new 9600 to even really move around in the 3rd person parts of STO, and I still preferred LotRO's design.

Scooter on
This discussion has been closed.