Options

Grim Fandangoo

akesoakeso Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
grim-fandango2.jpg
I'm trying to find somewhere and somehow to play this amazing game on the cheap.
I got it for free back in the day with Monkey Island 4 and somehow it's now only out-there for $30+.
Anyone know of a place to still get this game except for ebay?

primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
akeso on

• Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's pretty hard to find and most people who own it probably wouldn't want to part with it, so it's up there in pricing.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I found my copy at video ezy (video rental store) for $10.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Visti wrote: »
    It's pretty hard to find and most people who own it probably wouldn't want to part with it, so it's up there in pricing.

Yeah, that's what I've seen so far. It's ironic that a game they had to give away has become such a collectors item these days

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fandangoo made me think of a mash-up between World of Goo and Grim Fandango. I have no idea how it would work but it would be awesome.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Someone should mod Manny's skull into World of Goo and have the levels play Grim Fandango's soundtrack. And when you click on a goo-skull, it goes, "Lotteria!"

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i had it.

bought it from my library for 1 euro.

then my pc crashed and i threw it out, without realising disc one was still in the drive.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Your best bet would probably be to check online retailers in Australia or New Zealand. They re-released all the lucasarts adventure games here a while back on cd-rom and most places have them in stock.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I should replay this. Its probably been long enough that I won't remember how to do everything. (I think/hope I know where my copy is)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I could've sworn that it was on GoG.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You can have my copy when you pry it from my cold sprouted hands.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mr. G wrote: »

Nope, LucasArts hasn't given any of their adventure games to digital distro services. though they are making a remake and xbla/wiiware release of Monkey Island, so there's hope of seeing it sometime in the future.

freakish light on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's probably lying around in someone's house somewhere. You could put a stocking over your head and go break into their residence. Maybe arm yourself with a nice little 9mm pistol.

Ya know, if you're okay with that sort of thing.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    SniperLogicSniperLogic ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BAD THINGS

Going to recommend you delete this. Pretty taboo around here.

SniperLogic on
    Steam/PSN: StandrdDeviation
    BNet: StandrdError#1826
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Because I was just thinking about this the other day: If you guys are fans of the game (and if you're not, you should be): a while ago Tim Schafer actually posted a link to the original design document he drew up for Grim Fandango. I think the link is dead on his page but Kotaku made a mirror here! Read it, because it's hilarious.

The best part is that, by Tim's own admission, he hadn't finalized the solution to the game's final puzzle by the time he had to submit the document, so instead:
    "We didn’t have the last puzzle designed when I wrote that document, so I wrote two nonsense paragraphs and then overlapped them in the file so it would look like the final puzzle description was in there, but obscured by a print formatting error. That way I could turn the document in by the deadline."

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mr. G wrote: »

Nope, LucasArts hasn't given any of their adventure games to digital distro services. though they are making a remake and xbla/wiiware release of Monkey Island, so there's hope of seeing it sometime in the future.

It would be really sweet if they did put them out there, I'd love to try someone of the ones I managed to miss (seeing as I was about 10 in those days and didn't really appreciate adventure games then.)

Also stay away from my Grim Fandango discs.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    You can have my copy when you pry it from my cold sprouted hands.

This.

I'm pretty sure I got my copy back when it was released..... 11 years ago. But through all the moving I've done during and after college I've lost track of which box it's in. I hope it hasn't gotten lost along the way D:

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    1) This is the best game ever so don't give up looking for it.
    2) That design doc posted by Lunker is outstanding. Worth reading cover to cover.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Orogogus on
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I bought a brand new copy of this a few months back now. Absolutely fantastic!

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    ArasenArasen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You know when I first saw this thread I thought they were doing to Grim Fandango what they're doing to Monkey Island. How I wish it was...

Arasen on
    [SIGPIC]steam_sig.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2009
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My favorite game of all time I think. I dunno, it competes with Torment for that spot probably.
    But yeah, this game had me at hello.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As one of the many who didn't play it back in the day, I just had to watch the game and cinemas in a Let's play with no commentary. The game is holy fuck bugged on Vista, and the controls and gameplay don't retain any of their charisma with shitty new age technology.

I don't see how I could've played the game all the way through, those puzzles would have been deflating my intelligence all the time.

This game deserves a sequel, too bad Tim Schafer is so metal.

McAllen on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2009
    The controls had charisma? I thought they were a sin unto man and beast.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Best $4 I ever spent.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I asked for a balloon animal that looked like Robert Frost.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, this is a fun game, with a good story, but the controls are shit, and are what I think killed the adventure game genre.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, this is a fun game, with a good story, but the controls are shit, and are what I think killed the adventure game genre.

that's kind of silly because this and MI4 are the only games with this control scheme

what killed the adventure games genre was a giant advance in graphics technology and a correspondingly giant increase in production capital to make a game

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Probably one of my favorite games of all time, I usually end up playing through it at least once a year. I would murder a family of babies for a re-make.

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've always wanted to play this game, I heard so much about it when it first came out, too bad I didn't have a good computer at the time.

Cade on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

What, seriously? The hypothesis is that games like Broken Sword and Longest Journey didn't sell a million jillion copies because people thought, "Wait, is this like that game with the skeletons and the tank controls?"

I'd think a far more reasonable hypothesis would be that everyone else who storyboarded an adventure game realized that wasn't nearly as good as Grim Fandango, and gave up. Except the Nancy Drew guys, who seem to be making out like gangbusters year after year.

Honestly, I don't even remember that the game had tank controls until I see people bitch about it on message boards, or if I think about the forklift puzzle. Controls or not, I think Grim Fandango was the best adventure game ever made.

It shone, pale as bone
    As I stood there alone
    And I thought to myself how the moon, that night,
    cast its light
    on my heart's true delight,
    and the reef where her body was strewn.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

that's kind of silly because this and MI4 are the only games with this control scheme

what killed the adventure games genre was a giant advance in graphics technology and a correspondingly giant increase in production capital to make a game

What killed adventure games was adventure games.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    This
    Arasen wrote: »
    You know when I first saw this thread I thought they were doing to Grim Fandango what they're doing to Monkey Island. How I wish it was...

+

Fandangoo made me think of a mash-up between World of Goo and Grim Fandango. I have no idea how it would work but it would be awesome.

Equals

WIN

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I asked for a balloon animal that looked like Robert Frost.

Run, you pigeons! It's Robert Frost!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "What a relief. I was getting concerned that our transportation wasn't ostentatious enough. "

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png