As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Finding a psychologist (in NYC) to address my fear of death

starlanceriistarlancerii Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
All,

So a couple months ago, I made a thread about being afraid of death - link here. While the responses I got back were helpful, I still haven't gotten over this fear.

Most of today, coming to a realization that I've been working at my job for almost a year now, I've been almost paralyzed by anxiety/fear of death (which almost never happens, its usually something that I think about when I lie sleepless at night). I mean, it'll hopefully be a while before my time comes, but goddamnit, a year passed just like that.

I really need to deal with this, I can't just keep ignoring it. A friend suggested the possibility of going to see a shrink / psychologist, and I'm really considering the idea. The problem just is, I have no idea how I would go about seeing one. My health insurance supposedly covers "mental health - outpatient care" with a small copay, and I should be able to go see whoever since I'm on a PPO, but how do I find a psychologist? Its not something I can really ask around for.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

starlancerii on

Posts

  • Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Can you do a provider search on your insurance company's website, or look for a phone number on your insurance card?

    Aoi Tsuki on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would say that, once you find one, you shouldn't force yourself to stay with one psychologist. Some just will not be on the same page as you or use techniques that work for you.

    That said, don't just give up after the first meeting, s/he should adjust his methods to you and its only if that doesn't happen that you should look for another.

    I hope I'm clear enough... I haven't been to a psychologist but I studied to be one for a few years before deciding that it wasn't for me so I have a little insight on the basic problems people can have with their psychologists.

    Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

    Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • PennyfreqsPennyfreqs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know this isn't helpful, but IMHO psychologists are a highly overpaid version of exactly what people on forums give you: anonymous people to listen to your problems and offer advice. Sorry if I'm offending any psychologists out there.

    I read your previous thread, and while it's good you're reaching out, try and focus on yourself as well. I noticed you made a reference to that machine in HGTHG that makes you feel universally small. In reality, religion (or for that matter joining any group) requires that you become a small part of something bigger. As an apatheist (read: apathetic/practical atheist), this never appealed me, and probably wouldn't appeal to you.

    I also would suggest having a family and passing on knowledge, but you seem to be concerned with the fact you'll be forgotten in a couple of generations. You're probably right.

    99.9% of people on this earth do absolutely nothing above mediocre with their lives. People have come and gone for millennia and will continue to do so. Earth itself is insignificant in the view of the universe. Immortality will probably not happen in our lifetime.

    The best you can hope for is to die surrounded by family and friends after a long and happy life with people you love and go out smiling, or to die of a heart attack while breaking the sound barrier in an F-22 and go out smiling. That's all I have ever hoped for and if I can get that, I'll be happy.

    NOW. This is all assuming this is a standard, human fear of death that we all go through, akin to "facing your mortality". On the other hand, what you could be experiencing could be a literal phobia, sort of like arachnaphobia or a fear of clowns like I've got (Stephen King's "It", for those wondering).

    A phobia, being defined as an irrational fear, can obviously not be treated through sheer force of will, and obviously since it's DEATH, can not be logically avoided. In this case, finding a psychologist/psychiatrist would be the best course of action, but for the anti-anxiety medication, not the therapy. Family and friends are much better therapists than a stranger digging through your wallet.

    Pennyfreqs on
    You don't have to be wrong for me to be right.
  • Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pennyfreqs wrote: »
    I know this isn't helpful, but IMHO psychologists are a highly overpaid version of exactly what people on forums give you: anonymous people to listen to your problems and offer advice.

    Psychologists are trained professionals who are paid to diagnose and treat mental illness, which forum people cannot do. If he's been losing sleep over this for this long, it's not overreacting to talk to a medical professional about it. Besides, the question is how to go about finding docs through his insurance, which is a pretty good indicator he's not going to have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars.

    Aoi Tsuki on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm inclined to agree with Aoi. Sure, many people who see psychologists don't need to see them (though, advice from a certified professional can be more meaningful than the words of a friend) but there are cases where the need is there. This seems to be one of them.

    Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

    Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • PennyfreqsPennyfreqs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aoi Tsuki wrote: »
    Pennyfreqs wrote: »
    I know this isn't helpful, but IMHO psychologists are a highly overpaid version of exactly what people on forums give you: anonymous people to listen to your problems and offer advice.

    Psychologists are trained professionals who are paid to diagnose and treat mental illness, which forum people cannot do. If he's been losing sleep over this for this long, it's not overreacting to talk to a medical professional about it. Besides, the question is how to go about finding docs through his insurance, which is a pretty good indicator he's not going to have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars.

    Well you got me with the green text, but I DID say it wasn't going to be helpful, since it was just my opinion. However, everything else I said was solid advice. If he wants to use his insurance to go to what amounts (again IMO) to the equivalent of the dishwasher in "Waiting...", he can go right ahead.

    That being said, psychologists are trained professionals paid to diagnose and treat mental illness. What they are inclined to do however (unless you get a gold hearted one), is over-diagnose like hell. I would not be surprised if this guy came back and said his doctor diagnosed him with depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders, and any other of a myriad of illnesses that are not even close to as prevalent as claimed. These illnesses are veritable cash cows.

    Good luck to the OP though, I agree with the previous poster who said not to stick to the first guy to give you half-decent advice. Really try and find someone who is genuine and willing to stick it out with you and meshes well.

    Pennyfreqs on
    You don't have to be wrong for me to be right.
  • starlanceriistarlancerii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Part of it would be just to talk through my problems, yeah - I think that part of my problem is that I really can't think too much about the subject without triggering a minor panic, so a psychologist might help me work through that. That being said, I don't want any meds - my goal is to be able to accept an inevitable death without having to lie awake at night worrying.

    Plus, I only have a $20 copay per visit with my insurance, so that's not a problem.

    starlancerii on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    yeah, a psychologist can't prescribe meds, though he might recommend you see a psychiatrist who can.

    However, if you're adament that you want to beat your fear without meds, I don't think s/he would make that recomendation. Also, I think Penny is blowing the Psychologist diagnosing thing out of purportion. If anything, you have mild panic attacks because of your phobia, like many people with phobias. I'd say you wouldn't have to worry about being told you have depression or anything else. Its a phobia you want to deal with and the psychologist should understand that.

    Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

    Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • PennyfreqsPennyfreqs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm only blowing it out of proportion because of previous experiences, both personal and anecdotal. I went to a psychiatrist when I was 15, full of teen angst. After telling her that I was not suicidal, mostly happy, and only angry when I was yelled at to do chores, she prescribed me 3 different medications, recommended I come in 3 times a week for therapy, and oh by the way most of this wouldn't be covered by insurance. I also visited 3 other psychiatrists, with similar results. Similar stories from other that I can recount.

    That being said, if you really want to beat this without meds, Nap is right, your psychiatrist won't recommend that. You almost want to try and find a specialty therapist who can tell you up front they will not try and push medication. That would be your best bet.

    Pennyfreqs on
    You don't have to be wrong for me to be right.
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    there's a difference between psychologists (which the op wants to see) and psychiatrists (which you saw).

    Psychologists are not allowed to prescribe meds to a patient as they haven't had the proper extra classes for that. They focus on the mind and how it works, not how chemicals affect the mind.

    So, in other words, you saw a psychiatrist, trained to perscribe meds when they believe they are needed, not a psychologist whose main effort is to work past those things without meds. Some people need the meds most don't. (not to mention that most psychiatrists shouldn't have medicen as a first resort... but I suppose some can be trigger happy).

    Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

    Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pennyfreqs wrote: »
    I'm only blowing it out of proportion because of previous experiences, both personal and anecdotal. I went to a psychiatrist when I was 15, full of teen angst. After telling her that I was not suicidal, mostly happy, and only angry when I was yelled at to do chores, she prescribed me 3 different medications, recommended I come in 3 times a week for therapy, and oh by the way most of this wouldn't be covered by insurance. I also visited 3 other psychiatrists, with similar results. Similar stories from other that I can recount.

    That being said, if you really want to beat this without meds, Nap is right, your psychiatrist won't recommend that. You almost want to try and find a specialty therapist who can tell you up front they will not try and push medication. That would be your best bet.

    Perhaps you weren't as well adjusted as you seem to think. Obviously, someone thought you needed to see a professional when you were 15, no matter how fine you thought you were.

    People have this nasty habit of not seeing themselves as they actually are. Now, I don't see how your personal issues with a respected profession is helping the OP in any significant way.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • RasmusRasmus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pennyfreqs wrote: »
    I know this isn't helpful, but IMHO psychologists are a highly overpaid version of exactly what people on forums give you: anonymous people to listen to your problems and offer advice. Sorry if I'm offending any psychologists out there.

    This is so wrong, I have no idea where to start.

    To the OP: I think it's a good idea you try to seek out help from a psychologist - and listen to the advice given here in the thread, you don't 'have' to stick to the first psychologist you see. Finding a psychologist that has experience in the existential field could also be beneficial (but 'anyone' will do at first, I think), as 'existential psychology' in itself deals especially with anxiety and fear that stems from death and meaningless in the world.

    Rasmus on
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ask your doctor for a referral or check out the phone book. At least here (Canada) a fair number of them are listed in the phone book. And I would highly recommend a psychologist over a psychiatrist. Psychiatrists (from what I hear) tend to jump straight into the meds because thats most of what they're trained to do, but if a psychologist can sort out the issues without meds it'll be alot cheaper and give you more freedom (not having to carry pills around all the time.)

    Wezoin on
  • PennyfreqsPennyfreqs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Pennyfreqs wrote: »
    I'm only blowing it out of proportion because of previous experiences, both personal and anecdotal. I went to a psychiatrist when I was 15, full of teen angst. After telling her that I was not suicidal, mostly happy, and only angry when I was yelled at to do chores, she prescribed me 3 different medications, recommended I come in 3 times a week for therapy, and oh by the way most of this wouldn't be covered by insurance. I also visited 3 other psychiatrists, with similar results. Similar stories from other that I can recount.

    That being said, if you really want to beat this without meds, Nap is right, your psychiatrist won't recommend that. You almost want to try and find a specialty therapist who can tell you up front they will not try and push medication. That would be your best bet.

    Perhaps you weren't as well adjusted as you seem to think. Obviously, someone thought you needed to see a professional when you were 15, no matter how fine you thought you were.

    People have this nasty habit of not seeing themselves as they actually are. Now, I don't see how your personal issues with a respected profession is helping the OP in any significant way.


    I'm pretty aware of what's wrong with me, thank you very much :)

    To be more specific, a close friend and father figure had killed himself and I was forced into therapy by my mom. Yes, I was sad. Sadness is an emotion, induced by environmental factors. Depression is an illness. The psychiatrist diagnosed me with bipolar disorder and depression. I got over my sadness. You don't just "get over" depression. Hence, wack job.

    Whoever said psychiatrist =/= psychologist, my bad, you were right.

    And Rasmus, like I said it was just my humble opinion. Guess I shouldn't have thrown that bit in there and just gone with the other stuff I said. I still stand by my advice on the religion thing.

    Pennyfreqs on
    You don't have to be wrong for me to be right.
  • SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Start with counseling centers in your area and talk to them about seeing someone. Expect a few referrals but if you're honest about what you need, you'll get a hold of someone. If you have a friend who has someone they like talking to, get the number- even if that person is busy, the may have a colleague who's not. You're in NYC for fucks sake, it's like the capital of the neurotic world. You probably knocked over 3 of em on your way to work.

    I don't usually hop on the counseling train, for the most part I think just getting out there and living a more challenging life gives most people the perspective they're looking for. When life is too easy and unchanging, the little crooks and snags seem giant and magnified against the smooth. Even if you sort them out, you'll just get hooked on the next biggest thing. If you're caught in a cycle of anxiety though, sometimes a person needs hand up to get out of it. If you've been worrying about the same thing for more than six months, its probably time. Good luck, hope you feel better.

    Sarcastro on
  • starlanceriistarlancerii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is there a particular way I should go about finding a counseling center? Or is it more of, google "nyc counseling center", call them, and see what that takes me?

    starlancerii on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is there a particular way I should go about finding a counseling center? Or is it more of, google "nyc counseling center", call them, and see what that takes me?

    Basically. If you have a GP you know and trust, you can speak to them first to see if they have any recommendations. Any counsellor worth their salt will want to evaluate whether you are good fits over the phone, or perhaps with an evaluation consultation. Do not go with anyone who is certain they are the right person and doesn't recommend you look at other options, they are likely desperate for work because they're bad at what they do.

    Have a think about how you prefer to get advice. Do you like to be listened to? Do you think that you're a deep person? Do you prefer having pragmatic step-by-step plans of what needs to be done? Everyone is different, and different counsellors do different things. When I sought counseling when I was younger, the initial consulter said it was the difference between the "Jesus sandals, did your father hit you when you were younger?" guy, and the "let's just get this sorted by finding a pragmatic solution". I went with the latter, and was very happy, but the reason the former exists is because that's what some people need.

    Have a think about it seriously. H&A tends to skew heavily towards pragmatic solutions, as deeper stuff takes too much time and really requires face-to-face consultations. If H&A didn't help much, then maybe you need the more touchy-feely counseling.

    Lewisham on
  • SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is there a particular way I should go about finding a counseling center? Or is it more of, google "nyc counseling center", call them, and see what that takes me?

    Yep. I googled that and got this link to an association, which had literally had a 'find a psychologist' button.

    Sarcastro on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You need a psychiatrist and not a psychologist. And I am not saying that on the basis that one can prescribe medication and the other can't.

    Shogun on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shogun wrote: »
    You need a psychiatrist and not a psychologist. And I am not saying that on the basis that one can prescribe medication and the other can't.

    You're going to have to explain why someone having a fear of something requires medication.

    Lewisham on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Shogun wrote: »
    You need a psychiatrist and not a psychologist. And I am not saying that on the basis that one can prescribe medication and the other can't.

    You're going to have to explain why someone having a fear of something requires medication.

    Did you even read that second sentence?

    edit: in case I need to clarify even further; I am not implying this person requires medication.

    Shogun on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shogun wrote: »
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Shogun wrote: »
    You need a psychiatrist and not a psychologist. And I am not saying that on the basis that one can prescribe medication and the other can't.

    You're going to have to explain why someone having a fear of something requires medication.

    Did you even read that second sentence?

    edit: in case I need to clarify even further; I am not implying this person requires medication.

    Then why are you saying he needs a psychiatrist at all? I do not believe there is anything to imply he is mentally ill.

    Lewisham on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Shogun wrote: »
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Shogun wrote: »
    You need a psychiatrist and not a psychologist. And I am not saying that on the basis that one can prescribe medication and the other can't.

    You're going to have to explain why someone having a fear of something requires medication.

    Did you even read that second sentence?

    edit: in case I need to clarify even further; I am not implying this person requires medication.

    Then why are you saying he needs a psychiatrist at all? I do not believe there is anything to imply he is mentally ill.

    I never implied anyone was mentally ill and to reason that seeing a psychiatrist makes one mentally ill is absurdly insulting. Is that really what you think?

    In all honesty I believe both a psychiatrist and a psychologist could help the OP however I don't want this person to spend a large fortune in an attempt to cure a manifested fear.

    Shogun on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shogun wrote: »
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Shogun wrote: »
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Shogun wrote: »
    You need a psychiatrist and not a psychologist. And I am not saying that on the basis that one can prescribe medication and the other can't.

    You're going to have to explain why someone having a fear of something requires medication.

    Did you even read that second sentence?

    edit: in case I need to clarify even further; I am not implying this person requires medication.

    Then why are you saying he needs a psychiatrist at all? I do not believe there is anything to imply he is mentally ill.

    I never implied anyone was mentally ill and to reason that seeing a psychiatrist makes one mentally ill is absurdly insulting. Is that really what you think?

    In all honesty I believe both a psychiatrist and a psychologist could help the OP however I don't want this person to spend a large fortune in an attempt to cure a manifested fear.

    Still not understanding why you would say he should be going to a psychiatrist over a psychologist. Could you actually explain why you think the one is preferable to the other in this case?

    Ketar on
  • starlanceriistarlancerii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Other than the ability to prescribe pills, is there any difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist that would lead me to see one over the other?

    starlancerii on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Other than the ability to prescribe pills, is there any difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist that would lead me to see one over the other?

    Not all psychiatrists conduct therapy - there are indeed some that prefer to concentrate on medication management and refer patients in need of therapy to a psychologist or LCSW. Otoh, there are psychiatrists that do conduct therapy themselves and put just as much time into it as any counselor; it just might be harder to find one from the get go.

    At least in the area I'm familiar with, psychiatrists tend to bill at higher rates than PhD level psychologists (and much higher than M.A. level counselors of any sort). Not as relevant given your insurance, but definitely a factor for some people.

    Ketar on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Find a psychiatrist who may specialize or do a lot of exposure therapy cases. Irrational fears are usually conquered through exposure therapy.

    I am telling the OP to find a psychiatrist because when I went to a psychologist about fear of deadly spiders he sent me to a psychiatrist who specialized in these types of things. I now squash all spiders without fear and with extreme prejudice. While deadly spiders probably isn't as bad as fear of death in general, I do know what it is like and I believe a psychiatrist can help the OP moreso than a psychologist. We're on opposite ends of the country though and I expect in NYC he can find either/or to suit his needs.

    Shogun on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shogun wrote: »
    Find a psychiatrist who may specialize or do a lot of exposure therapy cases. Irrational fears are usually conquered through exposure therapy.

    I am telling the OP to find a psychiatrist because when I went to a psychologist about fear of deadly spiders he sent me to a psychiatrist who specialized in these types of things. I now squash all spiders without fear and with extreme prejudice. While deadly spiders probably isn't as bad as fear of death in general, I do know what it is like and I believe a psychiatrist can help the OP moreso than a psychologist. We're on opposite ends of the country though and I expect in NYC he can find either/or to suit his needs.

    Exposure therapy is not necessarily the best choice in his case, though it is a distinct possibility and may be the route a therapist recommends. That said, exposure therapy was developed by a psychologist. There are plenty of psychologists who use it. In your case, you saw a psychologist who does not, for whatever reason, and so referred you to a therapist who they knew to be proficient. It happened to be a psychiatrist, but there's zero reason to expect that to always be the case.

    Ketar on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shogun wrote: »
    I never implied anyone was mentally ill and to reason that seeing a psychiatrist makes one mentally ill is absurdly insulting. Is that really what you think?

    I'm sorry you find there to be a stigma to visiting a professional that you yourself have been to. The dictionary definition of a psychiatrist:

    "The medical science that studies and treats mental illness and mental maladjustment. Psychiatrists treat mental disorders; psychologists study mental activities, whether healthy or disordered. In the United States, psychiatrists usually hold the degree of doctor of medicine (M.D.) and may prescribe medication for their patients." (emphasis my own).

    Wikipedia says much the same thing. It is what they do. That's why they can prescribe pills; they're dealing with medical illnesses, not therapeutic things.

    The only person who made it into a bad thing was you.

    Lewisham on
  • BetelguesePDXBetelguesePDX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As a practicing family physician my advice is to see a psychologist. Many psychiatrists these days don't do therapy due to time constraints and tend to be trigger happy with pills. I don't think you need pills. Well at least not till you have tried a good amount of therapy first.

    BetelguesePDX on
  • RasmusRasmus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shogun wrote: »
    Find a psychiatrist who may specialize or do a lot of exposure therapy cases. Irrational fears are usually conquered through exposure therapy.
    Since when is fear of death an irrational fear? Death is rather an ultimate concern in our existence, at least if you listen to most existential philosophers and psychologists ;)

    Rasmus on
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sentry:

    I take a lot of issue with your post. It assumes baseline issues in the person you are criticizing, and goes far off base in the discussion about the OP who needs help.

    OP:
    I think a therapist could do wonders. I also knew one well--personally--who was in therapy 4-5 days a week. For some of these people therapy is something that everyone needs, everyone requires medication, & they don't have a healthy outlook.

    Just remember that the initial FDA trials for SSRIs failed, and they still approved the, so be careful.

    streever on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rasmus wrote: »
    Shogun wrote: »
    Find a psychiatrist who may specialize or do a lot of exposure therapy cases. Irrational fears are usually conquered through exposure therapy.
    Since when is fear of death an irrational fear? Death is rather an ultimate concern in our existence, at least if you listen to most existential philosophers and psychologists ;)
    it's irrational in that it is something that he can't control (to a degree) and yet he stays up at night worried and it is affecting his life negatively

    to the OP, my friend works at Beth Israel and she suggests you give Mount Sinai a call...she says the staff there is really great and could probably help you, very varied specialties so they could easy figure out someone who would work well with you.....either that or NYU....just give them a call and tell them that you'd like to schedule a first time appointment to see a psychologist, and they'll take it from there

    BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    streever wrote: »
    Sentry:

    I take a lot of issue with your post. It assumes baseline issues in the person you are criticizing, and goes far off base in the discussion about the OP who needs help.
    .

    Well, I'm sorry you feel that way. No, actually, I don't care. The person I was responding to was denigrating an entire profession based on his one involuntary experience. It was tantamount to telling the OP not to seek help, and therefore my response was not off base with regards to the OP. Unlike what you've just written, which completely is and has nothing to do with anything with regards to the OP, and could have easily been handled via PM.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
Sign In or Register to comment.