As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Delzhand's Game Art: Sexy polygons on pg 2

DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss.Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Artist's Corner
I just parsed the entire latter 3/4 of the chat thread for my posts. I'm immensely thankful for all the crits received.

MISSION START!

pixelsprite.pngpixelsprite3.png
design.png
sketchsprite.pngsketchsprite2.pngsketchsprite3.png
palette.png
sketchsprite5.pngspritef1.png
updogp.png
bear.png
bear2.png
HeroRun5.gifHeroRunB.gifHeroRunB2.gif
Firing.gif
SkullBeetle.png
Goliath.png
angry.png
desert.png
GravemakerII.png
NewHeroFiring.png
NewHeroStanding.png
Cordyceps.png
crouchblocks.png
sprite.pngSpriteB.png
RunAnimation.gif
RunAnimationD.gif

Delzhand on

• Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yay! This thread should be fun to fallow.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is nice progress. It looks like the critiques are helping and your art is improving.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    DuckyDucky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is pretty cool. So what's the game for?

Ducky on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    who need signiyures anyways o_O
  • Options
    Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's really neat to see your progression! Keep up the good work.

A few questions,
    1. Are you planning on making at least 2 more weapons?
    2. Are there going to be any more awesome looking baddies?
    3. Are you planning on making side characters also?

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    post your youtube videos in here.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    @nib: I think so too. Looking back at the first posts, and seeing the changes has really been something.

@ducky: XNA Indie games. I don't have a release date though.

@Shiekahn: The gun only changes appearance when you find the auxiliary barrels, but there are plenty of customizable powerups. There will be more baddies, but there probably will not be any other human characters. That's not set in stone, though. I haven't designed any other characters yet, either way.

@Manon: The link in my sig goes to the videos, but I'll post them all here so the progress is more visible.

These first videos are the engine in it's infancy, before I the announcement of XBox Community Games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCt62jYbgIo&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmOolUYA-LU&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPQAExWNic4&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkPn00X-diM&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsHbWxrE_SU&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ld_xroVtlE&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr8Q8HcIsQs&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez9AYUVen-U&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_m4NfoMOVs&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duvOHHGPl6o&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTyXrrsQ1mg&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04qCLbcbn8A&feature=channel_page

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wow, looks awsome. it deffinatly has improved. So, this originally started as a Mega Man game? and is it only going to be released on XBox?

p.s. do you have music for the game?

Ducky on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ah, you're also the megaman HD guy.

this is looking much better than that was

I watched some of your vids, but I know most folks won't check out the sig link.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, originally the plan was to make a Megaman game and release it as a free PC game. But when the XNA team announced that games would be available to XBox users through XBox live, along with some dangling legal issues, I decided to change the project. Currently my only release plan is for the 360, but I'll probably have a PC demo.

I'm not sure what to do about music, honestly. I don't mind being the sole designer/programmer/artist because those are all talents I had prior that I've developed through use. I have no musical talent beyond appreciation. My wife is an opera singer, but her composition skills don't quite match the tone of an action based video game.

I've found a few sites for royalty free music online, but I haven't found any particular artist or track that stands out to me. If something doesn't materialize I was planning on putting the demo up and asking on the OCRemix forums if anyone would be willing to negotiate some sort of deal.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    aaaah, ok, sounds good. I was just wondering because i find that music can sometimes make or break a game. so i was wondering what you had picked out. Composing music is fun, but takes a while.

Ducky on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fodder.png

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sometimes when you post an update, I'm all "this'll be most rad to play."

and sometimes I'm all "this will be most dull and generic to play."

that last monster design falls under the latter for me.

As for the music, though. I would suggest checking with some of the local bands in your area, depending on what's available.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    What sort of things seem rad? I'll be honest - art direction isn't my greatest asset. I've spent all week reprogramming the weapons system. This was my first drawing all week. I needed a "fodder" enemy, like the foot soldiers in Contra and Metal Slug, or the Skeletons in Castlevania.

I guess I'm still not sure what I'm doing with the enemies beyond "they need to be there", honestly.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    it really seems that way, like a "I need a baddie, what do do baddies look like?" type of approach.

For one, it's very clear that you're animation skills are rudimentary at this point, so when you post large, complex, and textured enemies, all I can think of is how much trouble you're going to have animating it, and ultimately how stiff it will probably end up because of it.

Another thing is that I've never cared for the generic monsters that fill games, so I think you need to pick a theme for your game and stick with it for your designs. It seems like at first you chose Western because you thought it'd be cool to make a Western game, but then after having a hard time designing weapons and badguys it seems that you threw in the scifi-post apocalyptic stuff so that you can pull whatever monster designs you happen to come up with and throw them in there.

Also, think about your designs from a gameplay element. So far, you have three bigass monsters that will probably slowly drudge themselves around the screen. You need variety in it.

Think first, "From a gameplay aspect, what do I want this enemy to do?" (jump high, crawl around low to make the player shoot at a downward angle, climb the sides of walls, fly in loops, hover, stick stationary out of the ground, be so tall the player has to run up underneath it to shoot up its asshole, etc.)

Then think, in context to the overall, unifying-theme of my game, what design elements can I use to bring that to both a logical and entertaining fruition. (For example: It needs to jump, but be annoyingly small. So far, I'm using mutated exoskeleton-based enemies... I could have a flea-inspired monster roughly the size of a labrador.... then research the way flea-mechanics work and base it off of that. Then you could try pushing a step further into the entertaining aspect. Maybe put a saddle on it or something? the player would go "I wonder what the fuck is so small, it can ride that dog-sized flea." then it opens up two more gameplay-based enemies for you, short dude-like creatures, possibly with guns both on flea-back and not)

Now that was just something I pulled out of my ass as I typed, but you can see the process I took to get it, and I think if you were to really narrow-down and select a more unifying theme that gives you less freedom than "generic post-apocalyptic, mutant-filled future" then you will be forced to come up with more creative designs, causing your game to stand out of the pack.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That's pretty sound advice. I think I need a hook for the enemies beyond "mutants", but where I'm struggling is where to start. I can't think of anything that isn't obviously mutant-alien/human/fantasy-creature. For a while I had the cordyceps-inspired thing going on, but it was basically just fungus attached to mutants.

I'm not ditching the "world moved on" concept because I like it. If anything, I'd like to build on that. Something halfway between Wild Arms and The Gunslinger sounds about right. Maybe I can start from there.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I would say work on the animations for your main character now, it should be the top priority, and its the area you're needing the most practice with.

When you're working on the unifying theme, try to ask yourself, why is the world the way it is? what existed in each part of the world that the game takes place in prior to the change? (like you don't want to use horseshoe crab-inspired enemies if it's in the american west because they're native only on the east coast of our continent, etc) what has happened to those things since then? are there people augmenting themselves or each other with mechanical or genetic components? if so, what was the height of their technology before the degrade, and what do they have to work with now to do it?

If you're liking the fungus and crustacean combination, ask yourself why is it happening? is the fungus sentient? is a parasytic or symbiotic bond? is the fungus a threat to the main character? if so, can are there gameplay elements that sentient fungus-only enemies could function as? (floating spores, stationary stalgmites, etc.)

think about fallout or bioshock, both taking the world-moved-on approach. each game has a handful of classes that the enemies fall under, there's variation within class, and each enemy serves a gameplay function as well as has a reason story-wise for being the way it is.

also, on your main character sprite, if you're going to have him hold his gun at the hip, you might as well remove the butt from the back of it. On the shooting animation, it is confusing as to what is part of the gun and what is his rear forearm.

and I stress again, what you really need to be working on now is your animation. Buy the animation book that (Iruka or somebody else?) suggested, and really get in there and do it. Stiff, jerky, animation will easily kill your game, and you're getting way ahead of yourself worrying about enemy designs and the like at the moment.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    To help me figure out what I want out of the setting, I wrote this this morning. I know it's not "art", but it's going to influence my art's direction.

The setting, as described by the player character
    Things were so different a hundred years ago. The whole globe was mapped, every mountain and island was named and catalogued. Man was at the top of the food chain, we lived in every corner of the world, and our greatest enemy was ourselves. Machines carried us here and there, ran our businesses, and handled our communications. It was a fine time to be alive.

Shame we cocked it up so bad.

Today, the details are sketchy, but a few things are certain. The world kept getting warmer, and for whatever reason, we couldn't figure out how to stop it. Lakes and rivers dried up, plants died, and deserts expanded. Entire animal populations moved away from the hottest parts of the earth. Some became hostile, and as predators and food shortages took their toll on mankind, our world began to fall apart. As we became more and more preoccupied with just surviving, our machines began to fail. Any place suitable for growing crops became hunting grounds for the predators. Carrion eaters and insects increased in size, number, and aggression.

Our place in the world went from the top... to somewhere in the middle.

People aren't stupid, at least not stupid enough to let themselves go extinct. After a few decades of steady decline and death, they banded together, forming fortresses and settlements on the coasts. They figured out how to use the ocean to keep crops alive, how to use the weapons their ancestors had. Gunpowder and steam replaced electricity. Bricks replaced steel girders. Trees replaced utility poles.

Life is still hard. Science has taken a backseat to more practical knowledge. There are a few people like me who travel the wastes inland, scavenging for relics of the old science. Anything that still works is worth food and lodgings, depending on what it does and what condition it's in. I've managed a living for 30 years as a relic hunter. The first piece of tech I ever found is probably the only reason I lived this long outside the protection of the settlements - a weapon that never seems to need munitions. In all my years of work, it's the only piece I've ever kept for myself.

I don't feel bad about it, either. Relic hunting fulfills a sense of duty to the species, by helping us re-learn what we once knew. By keeping myself alive, I keep science alive. If I live long enough that I can't go out anymore, I'll pass it on to the next person willing to do the same work. I don't think today's scientists would have much use for it, anyway. Seems to run on solar power, and even if we had anything to hook it up to, we don't have the materials to make the little cells what run along the stock. The scientists are more interested in mechanical and chemical artifacts. Anything that runs on electricity is... well, it's for another day. They'll take it, but the pay isn't as good.

Occasionally we try to set up colonies further inland, but they don't last more than a few years, with the exception of Santa Alma. Santa Alma's peculiar. Someone found a big lake a few years back, and managed to build a town around it. The walls went up first, then they built a huge church they called Valde Benedictus. Well, the lake eventually dried up, but there must have been water under the ground, because the place stayed alive. They had a few gunsmiths who knew how to make black powder, and when the collection plates at Benedictus went around, they collected sulfur and charcoal. I hear they've got quite an arsenal, and they teach the young men and women how to shoot. They're not afraid of the man-eaters out there.

I'm wondering now if they ought to be. The city council in Endcourt said Santa Alma's monthly communique is three weeks overdue, and they asked me to check it out, on account of my reliability. I've got my gun, my water, and my wits. Couldn't ask for more.

This narrows my range of enemies a bit. Large animals, particularly carrion-eaters and insects, and displaced predators. There will probably be a fantastic element to them, but I'll be toning down the mutations quite a bit.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That's hardly a limited range of enemies. You have quite a bit of artistic freedom with a man vs environment scenario. Most of the stock "wasteland" critters I think can be made to work pretty well without much fantasizing. You're loosing a hell of alot of believability by just turning crabs into humanoid humanoid creatures (fallout can do it because it's a parody of itself) or sticking testicles on bearmen.

Brainstorming off the top of my head:

-Vulture/carrion birds (could be constantly following the player, only attacking if their health is low)
    -Wild Dogs (fast pack animals that could overwelm the player, but be cowardly and run when injured)
    -Insect Swarms (simple particle effects can go a long way.)
    -Bears/cougars (doesnt have to be MAN BEAR! bigass bears are scary enough without much changing.)
    -Lizards/snakes/turtles (all sorts of spitting, poisonous, and armored things to go off of)
    -Big herbivorous (what are all these predators eating? A bison type thing will kill just as hard as any bear)
    -Other humans (I don't see whats stopping you from having gangs, or rival relic hunters. This guy can't be the only one trying to loot stuff)
    -Old Tech (robots, trains, cars, tanks, all the old world shit that has a reason to still be around.)

Manon hit it on the nail with -think up the REASON for the enemy in terms of gameplay, and then design something plausible to fit using your established theme-

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Maybe "fantastic" wasn't the word I was looking for. Perhaps "exaggerated" is better. Like how canines hundreds of years ago had larger heads/teeth.

And the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of human enemies. The frontier is full of beasts, but that's 1/4 of the game, max. I haven't decided exactly why Santa Alma is... well, whatever it is. It also gives me a better set of enemies that could use projectiles, which was necessary gameplay-wise.

Thanks for all the advice, by the way. I've already got a much better idea how to move forward. You guys have both nailed what my problems were - trying to make "stock baddies" without any sort of process or reasoning.

That bear-testicle, thing, though - what?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    shit, that vulture idea is awesome. it makes me think of that fucking sun from mario 3 in a way.

You really do need other dudes and tech. You don't want to have a shooter where no enemies shoot.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I like the vulture thing, too. It's definitely in. It's the kind of thing that works well in a Metroidvania - if you come back to the desert when you've got a weapon that fires at upward angles or the homing shot it's not as much of a threat.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    360degree aiming ftw.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That's... probably not going to happen. That would probably take more sprites than I'm willing to make. 8 way firing might (read: should) happen, but my biggest enemy is time. There is still significant work on the programming end, plus level design, which I'm not going to do until I have the mechanics nailed down.

I wonder how long it took Pixel to make Cave Story by himself...

Delzhand on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    I gotta say, this all makes me depressed that I have no programming knowledge. I cant wait to see this come together. I'd like to re-suggest the The Animators Survival Kit, if you haven't ordered it. its a great book for simple animation concepts.

Iruka on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The hardest thing about programming is remembering where to put all the brackets, parenthesis and semicolons.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    I would say the hard thing is not being bored out of my skull trying to learn it. I took a C++ class in highschool and god. If it wasn't for my nerdy friends and copy and paste, I would have died.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well, C++ will do that. The hardest thing about making C++ your first language is probably pointers.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I have a C++ book written by Mike Dawson of Darkseed fame. It's actually a good book but it doesn't get into reading from or writing to a separate file or using graphics.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, I hear that's not fun at all. This is in C# using the XNA framework, which does most of the drawing under the hood.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    how much different is C# from C++? ps sorry for hijacking your thread

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    C# is a managed language like Java. But it's not the language that makes it easier to make games so much as Microsoft's framework. It sets up the basic game loop and gives you a few classes like the ContentManager (which can be given the path to an image file, a font, a sound effect, etc. and make it ready for use) and SpriteBatch (which can be given an image, a position, and various other parameters and it will draw it onscreen).

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    In that case, I am so making my own game.

I was originally planning to learn programming in order to supplement my engineering skills, but, fuck it. I'll just become a game designer instead.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Vulture.png

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Okay if you make that a special animation for fighting those birds I will buy your game no questions asked.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'll hold you to that.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hahah that's awesome.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Forum user Jedoc has this as his sig, which is... eerie. And awesome. Anyone have any idea what the hell it's from? Swear to god I've never seen it before.

cannon.jpg

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    reminds me a little of this.

though it clearly isn't, it might also be of interest to you.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's some Fallout 3 concept art.

Full-size here.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I believe it was concept art for the Railway gun (?), a gun that shoots railroad spikes.

RubberAC on