As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Slang, Abbrevs, and Wordology

BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Social Entropy++
Are there any slang/abbreviations you use that are your own? Words that your friends know that you use, and that they've picked up from you?

For me, I caught myself using the abbreviation FBO, which stands for 'Facebook Official' when talking about people's relationships. That one has now circulated around my office.

Also, the word 'vom' as in, 'i'm going to vomit all over you after a night of drinking'.

Anyone else have any good ones? Oh, and bonus points if you use slang from the 1920s.

cdmAF00.png
Coran Attack!
Bedigunz on

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I used to say heavy a lot.

Like if a situation was tense or stressful it was heavy.

But it confused my doctor friend and I didn't really feel like explaining it to him so I just stopped using it.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've been using "Smacktard" since I was like 10, so like 14 years ago. I'm not sure if I invented that or if I picked it up somewhere.

My definition of the word is a person who acts are says something so retarded that they deserve to be smacked.

I also use "Fucktard" for "Fucking Retarded"

Ruckus on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Do you say that before or after you drink bawls at a LAN party?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Do you say that before or after you drink bawls at a LAN party?

Before. Seven years before.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fair enough.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I use a lot of slang that people around here don't use, like 'kley' for 'awesome.' That was from playing counter strike with the old CSS crew.

I use "droog" a bit, but not as much. and it is kinda nerdy when people call me out on it. Saying "I dunne ken" instead of "I do not know" is more common.

Wombat!! on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wombat!! wrote: »
    I use a lot of slang that people around here don't use, like 'kley' for 'awesome.' That was from playing counter strike with the old CSS crew.

What? I don't understand this in the least.

My sister calls people fucktards, and she is the least computer gamey person around. Apart from playing sonic the hedgehog 2 a bunch.

L|ama on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pavee slang and shelta still pollutes my normal speech.

Even though I spend some effort to make the accent go away, the terms still appear in my spoken english.

When it slips through I don't notice until people have no idea what the hell I am saying.

Pony on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    skeet skeet skeet

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, you've got me trying to remember what slang I do use, and feeling bad about it in advance as I assume my slang sounds as retarded to others as most the examples in this thread sound to me.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Your name seems english. Is it cockney rhyming slang? That's the best slang.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    L|ama wrote: »

i use cockney rhyming slang. "it's all gone pete tong" and so on.

sometimes i have to explain this to people.

Pony on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    One of my roommates abbreviates shit all the time and it infuriates me

Probs, maybs, unforch, shit like that

Another friend of mine uses "rando" for "random," which mostly just confuses me, and will often say "darsh" or "darshbag" instead of "douche" (from that South Park episode, "Stan Marsh? More like, Stan Darsh")

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My vernacular includes many, many elements of the southern drawl

But not much in the way of abbreviations

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Pony wrote: »

weren't you born in kitchener, ontario?

Killjoy on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pavee slang and shelta still pollutes my normal speech.

Even though I spend some effort to make the accent go away, the terms still appear in my spoken english.

When it slips through I don't notice until people have no idea what the hell I am saying.
    It's not english, it's not irish. It's just pikey.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »

I'll occasionally slip up and say "y'all" even though I try not to let too many Southernisms into my speech

I want to punch myself when I do

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sometimes I make gestures and say words that only people from Bombay could understand, but I'm actually talking to white or Chinese people.

Otherwise, nothing.

Killjoy on
  • Options
    Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wombat!! wrote: »

What? I don't understand this in the least.

My sister calls people fucktards, and she is the least computer gamey person around. Apart from playing sonic the hedgehog 2 a bunch.

It is a really lame story, about a player named Kley who was good so we started calling good actions in the server as being totally kley, after him. I am now the only one who still uses it, but I like it.

I call things 'brill all,' 'pro-cool,' or 'pro-great' when they are super-rad.

Wombat!! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I'll occasionally slip up and say "y'all" even though I try not to let too many Southernisms into my speech

I want to punch myself when I do

I say y'all all the time. And "a-yup", "reckon", and pretty much anything else like that

So long as you're articulate and capable of anunciating when it's necessary I think that maintaining a unique dialect can be fine

Unless it's ebonics, in which case, learn english

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've been using "brush" for "leave" ever since I saw that episode of the Venture Brothers where they introduced Dermott.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Killjoy wrote: »

weren't you born in kitchener, ontario?

yes

my father's pavee

so pavee slang, and shelta, and cockney english words and slang are part of my normal language

children learn most of their earliest linguistic habits from their parents, and those can stay with them for years, if not their entire lives.

when i am absolutely piss drunk, i stop making an effort to enunciate properly and speak with a flat ontarian accent and the pavee slang and accent comes flying out of my mouth, much to the confusion of everyone around me

it's very embarassing

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    My fag friends sometimes call things pro and describe them as fail.

Lucky me that I'm graduating this year and won't ever have to see them again.

Killjoy on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll bet if I talked more I could think of some interesting bits of slang I use.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Does it make me racist if I hate ebonics more then I hate anything in the whole world of speech

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Does it make me racist if I hate ebonics more then I hate anything in the whole world of speech

a little

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    When I get drunk I actually start using bigger words and more grandiose language that would never come to mind if I were forming a sentence sober

It's weird

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    apparently

if i get drunk

sometimes i become unintelligible to most my friends out here

they dont understand my southern accent

Kovak on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    When I get drunk I actually start using bigger words and more grandiose language that would never come to mind if I were forming a sentence sober

It's weird

I did this every time I walked into an English class high.

I definitely impressed.

Killjoy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I have bizzare speech patterns, though

I sprinkle every sentence of mine with five dollar polysyllabic words totally by accident, so people often end up staring at me blankly after I finish trying to convey some idea

I actually have to consciously tone down my rhetoric because my whole family has this tendency to be ridiculously verbose even when situations don't call for it

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    if i talk to my father, like, on the phone for a good bit we both default to a combination of pavee slang english and full shelta

which is normal

the problem is, then i stop talking to him and i have to make an effort to turn that shit off and talk to people with normal english with an ontarian accent

this has weirded the shit out of my friends

they'll listen to me talk dirtspeech to my father for five minutes and then i'll look at them and be like "so, the fer about, then, bey?" and they'll be like "what?"

then i have to spend a few minutes learning how to talk normally again

Pony on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ive been trying unsuccessfully to bring back 'swank' over the last 8 years or so. apparently saying 'you got a pretty swank pad here' comes off as a joke instead of honest praise

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    People here in the South tell me I have little to no discernible accent

But I was up in Pennsylvania visiting a friend a while back and all of her friends commented on my Southern drawl

So none of it is really consistent

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Really everything in my life is about the search for more synonyms

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Also, if I'm around more, shall we say, rural types here - like the rednecks at work, or if I have to take my car in to the shop - I find myself mimicking their accent somewhat and throwing in a little more slang

I honestly don't know if I'm trying to fit in or dumb down my usual speech for them or what

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I have to say, it was a really wierd feeling travelling to NZ and AU and being the one with the obvious accent. As I adjusted to hearing the local speech, my own voice started to sound odd to me.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I say "poppin" a lot. Like "this bathroom is poppin" when it's full. And ever since I heard Kevin Smith say it on one of his Evenings with... I have been using "bombing" too.

I can't stand when some of the kids here use "p. good." Sounds really lame.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I pronounce way too many words like I'm some dirty Newfie or something.

Otherwise, I just tend to say 'consider' a lot, with its various associated tenses.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    my vocabulary and general speech patterns change dramatically and unknowingly depending on my current social setting.

the way i talk around my family, my friends, at work, etc. are all different

and i talk differently around different groups of friends

around my D&D playin' internet nerd friends i will use internet slang and stuff out loud and stuff

but i would never do that around like, my mom

and yet, if i default to the pavee shit, it sticks around till i take some time to reorient it

frustrating

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I say "poppin" a lot. Like "this bathroom is poppin" when it's full. And ever since I heard Kevin Smith say it on one of his Evenings with... I have been using "bombing" too.

I can't stand when some of the kids here use "p. good." Sounds really lame.

I've never heard anyone say p. good, except for me, once, when I was on a bunch of painkillers

And I am also in virginia

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg