As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Interest?] M&M2e Gritty Magical Girl Anime Game

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Epic high fantasy with theatrical-quality storytelling, basically. Ranges from being about valkyries to dragons to fairies to sorcerers.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i was going to add to cj's post if i could but

seriously it is pretty hard to summarize this game

that is a good thing though

edit: also Atlus games made "the world ends with you" and i think you liked that one too, salty

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think I could be convinced to buy the game for this (which would be a first, actually). I really like the idea of valkyrie superheroines, and I liked M&M2e the one time I played it previously. Plus all the other players are awesome.

If Cytorak isn't coming back I'd be game to play in this. If you'd have me.

El Skid on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mazikeen (some will remember her) will probably be taking cytorak's spot

But I suppose it is feasible to take one more player, five is a rounder number anyway and El Skid has been pretty reliable in the past I think

But I don't want El Skid buying the book and stuff because someone who's not in the game mentioned something about Valkyries. That ain't canon.

Also we should get more input from cj and hylian about what they want to do!

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    M'liking the whole valkyrie idea.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Mazikeen (some will remember her) will probably be taking cytorak's spot

But I suppose it is feasible to take one more player, five is a rounder number anyway and El Skid has been pretty reliable in the past I think

But I don't want El Skid buying the book and stuff because someone who's not in the game mentioned something about Valkyries. That ain't canon.

Also we should get more input from cj and hylian about what they want to do!

I'll buy the book if you let me play. :P

Valkyries would just be a bonus, because I love me some Norse mythology. By no means is it required though.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Are Valkyries interested in Love and Faith

Also I'm not entirely sure I like valkyries as a GM just on account of that locks us into a very specific part of Norse mythology (and Valkyries, I mean ... they don't really do much.)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I think girls who are somehow chosen to be Valkyries could be interested in whatever, really. I mean, that's a bit of the point of the whole genre, right? Regular girls with regular feelings who change into something...more. But are still those girls like half the time.

And the other half of the time they're shooting laser beams out of their eyes.

But it's your game- you get final decision :)

El Skid on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Really, the whole point of the Valkyrie was just to choose who died in battle. That doesn't necessarily cancel an idea of a Valkyrie that serves a particular ideal, like Love or Faith or Gettin' Crucified. It'd just mean they chose the dead based on how they served their ideal/s - which would seem to fit with the storyline of this game quite nicely.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Right, but in the long run, my vision for this game is to be heroic - and valkyries are cool, but in the end, they're just recruiters, essentially.

and i'm not really interested in running a game where your characters hang around battlefields and crap looking for dead bodies.

edit: also not actually interested in running a game about preparing for Ragnarok.
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Really, the whole point of the Valkyrie was just to choose who died in battle. That doesn't necessarily cancel an idea of a Valkyrie that serves a particular ideal, like Love or Faith or Gettin' Crucified. It'd just mean they chose the dead based on how they served their ideal/s - which would seem to fit with the storyline of this game quite nicely.

basically, i am disagreeing on the final point. the theme of this game will be particularly not for the characters to be distant, uninvolved individuals who decide who is going to die.

(oh also with valkyries maybe sometimes you'd get to sleep with or bring booze to the real warriors -_- )

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd still stand by my original idea, in somes ways. It wasn't specifically meant to allude that certain gods were responsible for the power-giving; rather, that the insubstantial deity represented that ideal goes by a variety of names, depending on the culture. The Japanese god just came first on the list because it was the first one I could think of (going to university in Japan will do that to you).

Valkyries could still work, as long as it wasn't taken too literally.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'd still stand by my original idea, in somes ways. It wasn't specifically meant to allude that certain gods were responsible for the power-giving; rather, that the insubstantial deity represented that ideal goes by a variety of names, depending on the culture. The Japanese god just came first on the list because it was the first one I could think of (going to university in Japan will do that to you.

This part, I like. (Lots, in fact.)
    Valkyries could still work, as long as it wasn't taken too literally.

This part, mostly as presented by the dude who was like, "Run a game where the characters are Valkyries preparing for Ragnarok!" is what I don't like, I think.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well, if the host isn't too hot for Valkyries, it seems silly to push it, so let's look at other possibilities.

Samurai Princesses?
    Warriors of Zeus (Roman/Greek)?
    Guardians of Gaea (GO PLANET! Ahem...)?
    Protectors of Order (Law vs Chaos Dealy)?

Just brainstorming really... Let me know if any of this is vaguely appealing, INNS.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Zeus is kind of a dick!

You guys seem to like the cards thing (I've never seen Cardcaptor Sakura, so I don't know what that entails); I'm not sure if any particular mythology mixes with that too closely, but it's not too hard to fudge.

I do want the characters to be explicitly good, or at least, to have been chosen with the intention or expectation that they would be ... which makes me wary of, say, tying things to the Greek pantheon, where everyone's self-involved and insane and kind of a jerk.

I like the sound of the second thing El Skid presented (since the transformations are tied directly to protection); likewise, Skid's third suggestion sounds good, especially if we want to look at the, say, original D&D approach to law vs chaos, where the two are sort of intrinsically aligned with good and evil, respectively. (There's room for conflict between the characters and other 'lawful' individuals with that approach, too~)

Mostly, I do want you guys to discuss things and find something you like ... but I feel it's necessary to chime in when something sounds like it'd divert too far from what I have in mind (like Characters As Valkyries seemed to.)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ehhhhh. I don't really like the idea of going with too specific a concept for the group. All of the ones listed so far, except the last one, have gotten too specific about the theme around the group, and honestly. Mother Nature doesn't need someone protecting her under the ideal of "Faith" or "Temperence".

Protectors of Order sounds vague enough, and would probably meld with the "vague, idealistic deity" suggestion I've been making.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    There is, of course, always the route of that we know generally what we're supposed to do with these powers, what seems to prompt them to activate, and so forth but are very much in the dark about who is granting them or why they are granting them to us specifically. Going by this route leaves open the three possibilities of assigned virtues (being in tune, being capable, and arbitrary) and leaves some mystery in the fact that discovery of why this is the case is also key (and leaves INNS plenty of room to surprise us!).

As INNS's transposed OP (also, can we get this in the actual OP?) suggests, none of the characters have any say in the matter necessarily - these gifts are granted to them from some unknown deity or force rather than them being aware of the source, and these don't necessarily have to be the same sources for the different characters, even if the sources are all in the same 'pantheon' of sorts.

I think what's been interesting me more about the CCS setting is the general idea behind it - to use an example, Sakura has to retrieve the missing cards by battling (and I'm quoting wikipedia here) its 'magical personification and defeat it in order to seal it away'. It's entirely reasonable that those personifications could be for vices rather than the virtues that we're looking at taking the role of, and those vices are being given form by some other mysterious source. The more progress we make towards sealing them all, the better of an idea we get as to what is going on as a whole - both sides.

As far as these sources go? Law and Chaos seems to work well enough for that.

With this all said, I'm liking the idea of a cards-based character (cartomancy?) for my Righteous Savior of Faith, whether or not that's for her normal form (tarot divination as a hobby), as her 'weapon' when transformed, or a combination of the two. I can definitely see all of the Righteous Saviors being set up with different weapons based on their virtue. (Oh, and I already mentioned this to INNS, but I'm looking at very little direct combat ability for mine; to speak in game terms, mostly buffs and debuffs I suppose.)

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That's where I thought we were going with the CCS idea, Hylian - the idea of being ordained to seek and seal away those loose vices that ran contrary to those that the characters represented.

The deity idea was my suggestion, based mainly on the idea that we may know who gave us the power. However, I also like the idea of the characters not knowing what, or who, it is that gave them the power - though, it would make it more complicated to sort out how they discovered they even had powers in the first place.

I think I'd prefer to go with "order" than "law", if we have to choose an abstract concept to defend.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    though, it would make it more complicated to sort out how they discovered they even had powers in the first place.

this is covered explicitly in the transposed OP (also in the normal OP, now.)

:)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Is it? I see you mention how they first triggered their powers, yes, but I wasn't sure if we were assuming they knew that they possessed some degree of power before this initial triggering.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    After they're 'selected' in whatever manner to receive their powers, the first time they encounter something that would force a Transformation, they instinctively become aware of what's necessary to undergo their transformation. (The first time, they also feel an overwhelming urge to do it and automatically fail their will save to resist, too.)

After that point, they'll know what the necessary steps are to undertake their transformation (I imagine that once it starts, it goes through the entire sequence on inertia alone!), as well under what circumstances they can do it.

Basically, except for stuff tied to THE PLOT (like, say, exploding everything in a ten mile radius with liberal use of Hero Points during an emotional outburst), they should be aware of what they can do and how to do it.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    salt i think you need to get odin sphere

play through it as quickly as possible

and then start a game

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    i don't have a playstation of any sort.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think it'd help if we knew exactly what kind of setting we're going for here.

If you're going for a World of Darkness vibe, modern/urban is best, and I think that would most work for the game as well, especially to play off the mystery/secret identities aspect.

Failing that, I guess straight up fantasy could work, but I like the former option best.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It is definitely going to be a modern, urban game. (East Coast US, as mentioned in the OP.)

Of course, WoD doesn't really support superheroes, but that's not entirely what I meant when I said WoD inspired - more that it's a crumby, dreary world most of the time, and it's a place where although the supernatural stuff occurs, most of the world goes on unaware of it.

The characters might be a little different in that regard. :)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Shiny. The closer I get to tracking down someone on AIM, the closer I'll be to penning up a concept.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I like the WoD feel in that the characters will be suddenly in the know. They've been going along with everyone else through the mundane world while magical stuff happens all around them... But they either can't bring themselves to believe it was anything supernatural, or else there are forces that are actively keeping the information from people.

Sort of a Men In Black kind of thing. I'm seeing our characters as going through trials and saving the day for the huddled masses, who are unable to realize how close they are coming to disaster. No t-shirts or fan clubs for the girls, just getting on with their lives in blissful ignorance.

I'm thinking we'll have to do some sort of Sailor Moon thing- INNS makes up a mythos that we're all a part of, and we all transform in similar fashion, though our powers manifest in different ways. I don't think all of us being cardcaptors is a good idea, but having one character go that route would be fine- Just because I don't think basing your powers off of cards gives alot of room for breadth of characters. If I'm wrong about that, feel free to correct me though!

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't think anyone was suggesting that we would be using cards as a basis for our actions, old chap! Rather, I think the idea with Cardcaptor Sakura as a suggestion was, as said before, along the lines of the characters being given the task to stop/capture the antagonists of the storyline. If we're representing Order, then our opponents wouldn't be Clow Cards, but vices given physical form.

I do like the World of Darkness thing about everyone except the people involved in the supernatural being blissfully ignorant of the supernatural events that ripple and shift around them.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ahh...I see. So the basis of defeating evil embodied by the opponents we face, as opposed to the actual card captor-ing mechanics. I can certainly get behind that.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alright, everyone here and alive?

We should be hearing from Mazi soon, then we can see what ideas we've got, trim it down, and get to work. :)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    mazikeenmazikeen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Honestly, as far as brainstorming goes, I'm flexible with whatever. Namely because the virtue I'm claiming is Beauty, and well, vanity exists pretty much everywhere. ;-)

mazikeen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm likely going for Temperance, but I can't do much for creation until I get a grasp of the mechanics.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Beat HylianBunny until he tells you the entire book verbatim, cj

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hylian hasn't been on AIM, and when he is, he's catatonic.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'll have you know I am on AIM right this moment.

So ha!

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's true, Hylian just signed on like two minutes ago

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I am trying so hard to figure out the mechanics. I've played Godlike before, so I understand the notion of ranked skills in powers, so that's easy enough, but I keep double-checking because I'm certain I have to have missed something, every time I try and sort out power ideas.

Also, coming up with power ideas for 'Love' that aren't Emotional Control is harder than it sounds.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I've been thinking of taking Courage. Seems fairly simple to work powers and personality around, so why not? :)

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh, see, I've got my personality all sorted, I think. It's just the powers are... harder to work out. Creating a set of powers for 'Love' is kind of difficult, depending on how I want to play the angle! I think choosing Emotional Control is a lock, but I'm still considering other powers.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, traditionally, being a badass is always important!

After all, you're not necessarily an embodiment of your Virtue - you're a defender of that virtue!

Right now, I think we're leaning towards, say, having a general deity/deities who embodies/embody the characters' virtues ... but at game start, the players aren't entirely sure of who those deities are or even what they are, necessarily?

been chatting a bit with El Skid about chargen, and we have come to some ideas:

a) that everyone should have matching silly outfits. sorry guys, can't get around this one. figure it out.

b) that there should be some thematic consistencies between powersets; all of the Sailor Scouts have wands, the Power Rangers all have weapons and zords... what do you folks think?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Haha... Yay for silly outfits!

What do people want to do as far as powers go? I like something a bit less limiting than Sailor Moon style wands, especially if we're playing with M&M rules. Funneling our powers through wands takes away alot of the potential for the system, at least IMO (alot of the personal type powers don't work that way- Super speed, super strength, flight etc don't seem to fit in to the Sailor Moon wands work...though I could be horribly wand since I haven't watched too much of it).

Maybe each of us has found a piece of jewelery (could be a different type for each of us) that has somehow bonded with the power inside of us? The jewelry would play a part in our transformations, but would give us innate powers based on our virtue?

El Skid on