As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy Thread: There's a big difference between 'Mostly Dead' and 'All Dead'

• Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Turkey wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Odd preferences? My favorite FF games are 6 and 10.

Yeah.

So you love two of the most popular games in the series?

Yah, that's totally odd. :lol:
    Next we'll find out he likes VII and IX too! :D

VII is ok except for the fanbase, and every time I rented IX the disc was too scratched to go farther than a certain cutscene.

Wait, 10's popular?

It sold very well and people speak pretty favorably about it, save the bitching about the "HAHAHA" cutscene.

Pretty much. Generally speaking it's the second most popular under VII.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I got everyone to 99 on several occasions, with all spells learned, but I never bothered much with stat bonuses aside from making sure everyone had 9999hp and 999mp.

If you just want everyone at 99 and don't care about anything else, I found the easiest place to do it is in the second world, the desert south of uh....damnit I can't remember, there were the Hoover enemies. They gave a ton of XP/AP per kill and they would go down with 2-3 Ice3's. If you go there immediately after getting Edgar, and get Edgar, Celes and uh...Cyan? Man it's been awhile. Anyway, if you get them all to 99, then every other party member you get is also level 99. Either way you can go there with as few as 3 people to get the Airship and just grind super fast to 99 on them, then the rest of the game is a breeze.

You can't do stats this way, at all, but if you just want everyone at 99, it's by far the quickest way to go.

EDIT: To the above, I'd say VI is 2nd behind VII in interweb popularity. I think X would be behind VI for sure, possibly even IX and IV.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Do you even conceivably need your stats in VI to be super-mega-maxxed? I don't remember there being a 'super boss', really...and the game is pretty easy by normal leveling methods.

edit - I just found that there are a couple mega bosses in the Advance port.

Graviija on
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I had some very long bus rides and some very boring lectures.

There is/was a superboss in the Advance version-

but-

I, to this day, cannot track him down within the Dragon' Den, because it is a goddam labrynth of pain. After spending 3+ hours wandering about, flipping switches, trashing mobs, I buy 99 of everything again and call it a day.

[also FFVI was easy by FF standards, you can beat everything, all of it, with an average level of 9 or so]

YggiDee on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Odd preferences? My favorite FF games are 6 and 10.

Yeah.

So you love two of the most popular games in the series?

Yah, that's totally odd. :lol:
    Next we'll find out he likes VII and IX too! :D

VII is ok except for the fanbase, and every time I rented IX the disc was too scratched to go farther than a certain cutscene.

Wait, 10's popular?

It sold very well and people speak pretty favorably about it, save the bitching about the "HAHAHA" cutscene.

Pretty much. Generally speaking it's the second most popular under VII.

It's odd, I didn't have a strong opinion on it at the time, but the more I think back the more it holds up where the others didn't. I've played most of the FFs, save III and IV, and my top 3 would be VII, X and XII, in no particular order. I really cannot see what people liked in IX, though. It was less fun than testicular torsion.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    X is definitely my favorite by a pretty big margin I think.

I just didn't think it was for others as much as the more "classic" ones.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    EDIT: To the above, I'd say VI is 2nd behind VII in interweb popularity. I think X would be behind VI for sure, possibly even IX and IV.

Between big fans of the series like us, probably, but generally speaking the mainstream player that likes the series but isn't a huge fan, X would be second. Just look at the gamefaqs Best Game Ever Poll. X got to the semi Finals.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I've been playing through FFVII on the PSP (PSN download), and I've been reminded just how awesome the FMV was when the WEAPONS awoke. Yeah, it looks pretty bad now, but damn, that was impressive back in the day. I'd love to see that scene 'Advent Children'-ized. Graphically, I mean.

Also, I'm continually shocked how much better the FMV became between VII and VIII. Pretty staggering.

Graviija on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I only think that IX is super popular within the PA community. Outside of it you almost never hear anyone talking about it.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Between big fans of the series like us, probably, but generally speaking the mainstream player that likes the series but isn't a huge fan, X would be second. Just look at the gamefaqs Best Game Ever Poll. X got to the semi Finals.

Nothing that happens on gamefaqs counts toward anything. A poll of the best Final Fantasy given to a group of rabid squirrels would have more meaning to me.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    kurokazekurokaze Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bunta: I think the thing with the battle system of XII - note that I number among the haters - isn't that it lacks depth or takes away control or any of the things it gets accused of. It just makes digging into the depth or taking manual control pointless.

Edit: Holy crap this post is a wall of mostly irrelevant text, spoilering liberally.

Musings on the design decisions of FFXII combat:
    The following is my opinion and I reserve the right to call things 'wrong' and 'right' in a context wherein I have made clear that it is only my opinion:

I view it as an attempt to solve a symptom rather than a disease. The problem it tries to solve is repetitive command-entering. Many favorable opinions on it (including Tycho's, IIRC, who made it sound great) suggest that gambits merely replace entering the same command over and over. And it's true that many earlier FF games could basically be played automatically with gambits with no loss.

This view is incorrect. Repetitive command-entering is not a problem. Game design that requires repetitive actions is a problem. Look at Final Fantasy X. It's concievable to script AI that wins fights in this game just like gambit-level AI could beat the entirety of many earlier games, but it would be far beyond the scope of what anyone would expect a player to customize. Rather, what we have in FFX, love it or hate it, is a game where the battle system and monster design provide so many different situations that it provides its own variety. Rather than removing player interaction because it was boring, it replaced the boring player interaction with (more) interesting player interaction.

Furthermore, the specific mechanics of FFXII, at least in the way I played it, were such that repetitive command-entering were not at all removed, just moved. A typical SNES-era RPG could be described as 'if HP < X% Curaga, otherwise use *insert best attack*'. Which formed the base of most FFXII gambits, so became automated. In FFXII, though, throughout the majority of the game there is no MP<X% Self gambit, so the gameplay boils down to 'if MP < X% open the menu and select Charge, otherwise run in circles since moving regenerates MP'.

It's entirely possible that I wouldn't have found FFXII's battle system to be bad if it had, like almost all its contemporaries, also embraced the idea of adding interesting features/interaction. And it's mostly true that some of the harder of the hunts ended up being fairly similar in required tactics to FFX, with status effects and weaknesses actually playing a role.

So it's not really that the battle system was terrible. It's that the game itself (main quest) was not designed in such a way so as to make the battle system shine.

(For contrast, look at Lost Odyssey - very bland and boring battle system, though it does have one of those 'extra interaction' dealies, but the design of the actual encounters was stellar and used it to its utmost.)

Regarding FFVI love:
    Back in my younger days, when FFVI was my third RPG to own rather than rent or go to a friend's house and play for an hour max (after FFI and Secret of Mana), I played the crap out of it. Naturally, I had a guide for the first playthrough; not having a guide for a high-profile game wasn't a concept I really understood at the time.

Final Fantasy II (IV) was something of a legend at the time. I assume now that this wasn't really backed in fact, but it had a local reputation of being impossible to find. A friend of mine had played it through, but for some reason I forget didn't have it anymore. In his estimation it was the best anything ever and nothing could come close. FFVII came out and neither of us had Playstations and I remember arguing in the lunchroom about how FFVII was obviously awful because the overworld was ugly and you could see little cracks between the polygons and what the fuck is up with popeye men?

Anyway, once FFVII came out on a platform I owned it was okay to not hate it, and the fan translations of the other games started trickling out, so those got played. The point of all this is that by some bizarre combination of fanboy exposure and tiredness and what have you, after fully updating myself with 1 through 7 under my belt (possibly 8 also by this time), I named FFVI as my second least favorite after II.

Then the FFIV loving friend and I started to do a synchronized play through and discussion of the entire series, and I ended up playing FFVI for the first time in years, and he played it for the first time ever. He demanded to know why I hadn't told him the game was so awesome. Since then I have placed it on a pedestal.

Just a little story about opinions of immature persons and how they are shaped by so many factors beyond the actual merit of the item in question, and last for longer than one might expect.

The end result is that my opinion on FFVI is so complex and full of nostalgia and baggage that I can't possibly make a judgement on how the game stacks up, only that I love it.

kurokaze on
    atehim.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If the dude is enjoying the game let him enjoy the fucking game.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh...I missed a poll on favorite final fantasies...curses.

Though I'm wondering where XIII and Versus will stack on my list. From everything I've seen so far I'm thinking XIII will be up there, and Versus too as long as it isn't too heavy on the melodrama.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If Versus isn't high on melodrama I will assume it is because God descended from Heaven and changed it Himself.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Versus too as long as it isn't too heavy on the melodrama.

It's a nomura directed game. The one thing it will assuredly have in abundance, is melodrama.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

Though I'm wondering where XIII and Versus will stack on my list. From everything I've seen so far I'm thinking XIII will be up there, and Versus too as long as it isn't too heavy on the melodrama.

Yeah, I'm really hoping for the best out of XIII. I already like Lightning and Sazh a fair bit, and Snow and Vanille both have the potential to be good characters, depending on how well they're written. I wonder whether the quality of the dialogue will live up to XII? No matter what you think about XII as a whole, you have to admit that it has the best dialogue of any game in the entire series.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2009
    If you're allowing sidegames into consideration, I think the rewrite of Tactics has to be the best now. They did an absolutely fantastic job in that game with the cutscenes and script.

A duck! on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    kurokaze wrote: »
    . In FFXII, though, throughout the majority of the game there is no MP<X% Self gambit, so the gameplay boils down to 'if MP < X% open the menu and select Charge, otherwise run in circles since moving regenerates MP'.

What are you talking about?

I had that gambit by the second dungeon.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Now, I've only played two final fantasies (FFVI, and FFX), but I have to say I really don't get it when somebody says they dislike X. Part of my love for it comes from the fact that it was my first FF, I suppose, and part comes from my previous game, and first turn-based-ish RPG, KOTOR2, and being blown away by in-engine cutscenes that didn't use stock movements for anything, but mostly I think it's just a fantastic game. I never even really noticed the bad dub.

The one problem with it, is that I can't go back to the combat system of older FFs. What I played of XII was great, but otherwise, I find ATB really annoying. It seems to mainly serve to make random encounters last longer than they have any right to.

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

It's a Final Fantasy Game. The one thing it will assuredly have in abundance, is melodrama.

Fixed because, honestly. Every single game in the series is filled with it.

Final Fantasy is melodrama. High stakes, high emotions! Betrayal, love! Action!

Pata on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Pata wrote: »

It's a Final Fantasy Game. The one thing it will assuredly have in abundance, is melodrama.

True, but Nomura tends to turn it to 11

Zerokku on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've started playing 7 again. I just can't not regard it as my favorite, even though I've played through 9 so much more. But 7 is my first real final fantasy (technically I had the first when I was a wee lad but had no idea what the hell I was doing and quit after a short time) but with 7 my mom pulled me out of school so I could get to the store right as it was opening and then spend the rest of the day playing and the clerk gave me a free strategy guide.

Javen on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Yeah, I'm really hoping for the best out of XIII. I already like Lightning and Sazh a fair bit, and Snow and Vanille both have the potential to be good characters, depending on how well they're written. I wonder whether the quality of the dialogue will live up to XII? No matter what you think about XII as a whole, you have to admit that it has the best dialogue of any game in the entire series.

I've been flip-flopping on whether I'm more looking forward to XIII or Versus.

On the one hand, Versus has shown blood and is apparently going to have a darker story than XIII. These are things that I like. I also like the way the setting's shaping out, how it's more modern than futuristic. It makes sense, compared to XIII's "HOLY SHIT THERE'S LIGHTS EVERYWHERE AND FUCKING FLOATING MOON CITIES AND JETPACK TROOPERS AND BIRD-JET-THINGS!! EVERYTHING IS GREEN!"

On the other hand, the male characters in XIII don't look like rejects from My Chemical Romance. I mean, I can appreciate the suits and stuff that people are wearing in Versus but the main character's hair is unforgivably awful. I don't want to stare at that for 40 hours.

I'm digging the setting and general style of Versus (shitty hair aside) more than XIII, but what I've seen of XIII's characters makes me think it's ultimately going to be a more enjoyable game. Snow looks right cool, and Lightning might as well have been written by Joss Whedon. The only one I'm not too sure about is Vanille because she looks like she'll be filling the obligatory innocent and fragile pretty princess role, and I always hate those characters.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pata wrote: »

Oh...I know that. Yet, I have a level of tolerance when it comes to the stuff and while every FF does have melodrama, they don't all share the same degree. And from what Versus trailers have shown me it may end up tipping the scales in that department. When that happens I usually go blind from rolling my eyes so much, making it impossible for me to finish a game.
    True, but Nomura tends to turn it to 11

Basically what I'm getting at.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ally: MP < X% is available early but doesn't work with Charge, which targets self only.
    Self: MP < X% is unavailable until Balfonheim Port.

source

Maybe Ethers are plentiful enough that you could gambit them with the Ally version. I honestly didn't look to find out since I am one of those people who will die rather than use an item because it might be needed later and ends the game with every single consumable unused.

I recognize this is a problem and I am trying to cure it but it still would never occur to me to automate the usage of a consumable that is traditionally rather rare.

kurokaze on
    atehim.jpg
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    VIII is great. I just finished it again tonight.

And for all the shit Squall gets, he's not half as bad as some of the other characters in his archetype.

I appreciated that IN THE GAME you can pick dialog that makes Squall not nearly as much of a jerk. You can take Selphie on a tour, show concern for your comrades when they go on dangerous missions, and respond positively to Rinoa's advances. He cares, he just has a hard time showing it.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ally: MP < X% is available early but doesn't work with Charge, which targets self only.

source

Maybe Ethers are plentiful enough that you could gambit them with the Ally version. I honestly didn't look to find out since I am one of those people who will die rather than use an item because it might be needed later and ends the game with every single consumable unused.

Er, so you're completely gimping yourself and then blaming it on the battle system?

Awesome.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited June 2009

Huh. I must have gotten it from a chest or something.

Well this is your fault then. :P

Pata on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Are you honestly saying that you gambited Ethers rather than manually entering Charge and that by not doing so I was gimping myself?

Or are you just making a general statement? (which I can generally agree with, but it doesn't really reflect on my opinion on FFXII specifically)

kurokaze on
    atehim.jpg
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Are you honestly saying that you gambited Ethers rather than manually entering Charge and that by not doing so I was gimping myself?

Or are you just making a general statement? (which I can generally agree with, but it doesn't really reflect on my opinion on FFXII specifically)

I always just manually used ethers, and had charge gambits for mp = 0.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

No?

I'm saying if you didn't use items you were gimping yourself.

I don't know why this isn't apparent, but you can give your party members action commands without using gambits....ever if you so choose.

In fact more often than not it is safer to do so instead of relying on gambits in a critical situation.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    V and XII are still my favorites. Beat that odd preference people, III maybe fourth, behind 6.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You seem to be having some huge reading comprehension issues with what I have been saying considering that the entire thing started by me saying that I had to manually enter the Charge command for a large portion of the game (roughly estimated at over half). Obviously I don't know that you can manually enter commands, right? (I wonder how I got past the part before you get Gambits?)

I think the 'never use items ever and end the game with all consumables' was pretty obviously an exaggeration. It's a pretty common affliction among JRPG players, from what I've read, to save items for only the direst of emergencies rather than use one as part of normal strategy (e.g. in a gambit). I am one such afflicted player. I've learned that Auto-Potion and such aren't always bad but I haven't quite reached the fundamental mental shift required to actually pay attention to consumable stores and the like in games that haven't been difficult enough for me to often reach that 'oh crap time to use an item' stage.

kurokaze on
    atehim.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I never set items to gambits. While I used them often, I didn't like the gambits doing it for some reason.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You seem to be having some huge reading comprehension issues with what I have been saying considering that the entire thing started by me saying that I had to manually enter the Charge command for a large portion of the game (roughly estimated at over half). Obviously I don't know that you can manually enter commands, right? (I wonder how I got past the part before you get Gambits?)

I think the 'never use items ever and end the game with all consumables' was pretty obviously an exaggeration. It's a pretty common affliction among JRPG players, from what I've read, to save items for only the direst of emergencies rather than use one as part of normal strategy (e.g. in a gambit). I am one such afflicted player. I've learned that Auto-Potion and such aren't always bad but I haven't quite reached the fundamental mental shift required to actually pay attention to consumable stores and the like in games that haven't been difficult enough for me to often reach that 'oh crap time to use an item' stage.
    Remember, DO NOT engage in any "my favorite FF vs your piece of shit FF" debates. It's your right to like whichever entries you like, so it's only fair that you respect other fans' preferences.

This is getting a bit too heated, let's keep it down please.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I agree. I'm just irritable because I'm tired of being insulted on various forum threads because I'm apparently terrible at video games. Just because I'm bad at video games doesn't mean my opinion is wrong or that I have no right to comment or whatever. I'm sure I'm better than half the people who bought big name games like FFXII but don't care enough to read forums or GameFAQs or whatever.

Um... something on topic...

So for the lovers of FFVI out there: How many of you played without a guide?

I've been wondering lately how frustrating/stupid/whatever the World of Ruin was without one. I always vaguely thought it would be awful but in thinking about it in more detail, most of the obscure sidequests were mentioned by random people in town, right? Was there someone who 'showed' you where the Phoenix Cave was? I'd imagine that would be hard to find otherwise.

Still, between Shadow and the two secret characters, it seems entirely probable that many non-guide-users were forced to use less than 12 characters for Kefka's Tower.

kurokaze on
    atehim.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've been wondering lately how frustrating/stupid/whatever the World of Ruin was without one. I always vaguely thought it would be awful but in thinking about it in more detail, most of the obscure sidequests were mentioned by random people in town, right? Was there someone who 'showed' you where the Phoenix Cave was? I'd imagine that would be hard to find otherwise.

If I remember correctly, a soldier in the arena tells you there's a secret behind the Emperor's portrait. Check the painting, and it'll tell you there's something hidden in the middle of mountains shaped like a star.

jothki on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I played without a guide and missed Shadow and Gogo the first time through. Every character (if I remember correctly) gets provides a hint on how to get the next character either after you get them or at some logical spot on the way. Even finding Umaro is easy since Mog tells you about him. Never really understood why he was considered a secret character.

Doesn't the phoenix cave show up on the map? If it does not it is easy to stumble upon when searching for Doomgaze.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I´m playing the FF1 remake for PSP. This game is so modest... I love it. No complicated plot-lines or angst heroes, only GO TO POINT A TO POINT B, CLEAR THE DUNGEON, GO TO POINT C, BUY SPELLS. I can undestand why this game was a hit when he saw the light and was the start of a millionary franchise.
    Also, i loved the PS FF, but the PS2 entries dissapoint me (specially XII). Also, the rise of the megami tensei franchise doesn´t help things...

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think it's a little gap in a stretch of mountains that you can land the airship directly on, not a normal entrance.

jothki on