As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Apartment from 4 years ago is ruining my current chances

1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I have found the best apartment for me near my job. The problem is they've pulled my credit report.

Back story: In college, I was in an on-campus housing complex called Centennial Court. My roommates and I (there were 4 of us) were charged separately for each room (came to about $400 each), plus a security deposit. I only lived in them for 1 year, and when I moved out, I think I got a refund.

Present Day: I call them up and they have no immediate record on file of this debt ($63). They have to get the accountant to call me back, which I asked them to do today.

In the meantime, what options do I have? I gave them my Google Voice number, so when they call me I'm going to record it. I'm in Texas, which is a one-party state (for recordings).

1ddqd on

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So the problem is that you lived there, but they have no record of it?

I'm not sure what the new place has an issue with. Surely you lived somewhere else in the 3 years since, right?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think you've left out some important detail in that post, like "my credit report shows I never paid them my last month's rent, only I did".

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    JHunz wrote: »
    I think you've left out some important detail in that post, like "my credit report shows I never paid them my last month's rent, only I did".

Ok to clarify - I paid nearly every month's rent on time. I was late twice, due to being out of town on holiday and in the hospital another. I received most of my security deposit back, but I don't have the bank statements to prove it (I closed the credit union account I was using at the time and have since switched to Bank of America. Since we're going on 7 years, the records were most likely destroyed (and the credit union account I had switched names to Viewpoint Bank...so doubtful the records exist there).

tldr: never missed a rent payment, even paid the last one. $63 is what they say I owe. No immediate record of it, accountant has to dumpster dive to find it. Crafting a "proof of debt" letter now to send certified today on my lunch break.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You still haven't told us what, exactly, is preventing you from getting the new place. All you've said is "I was in an apartment 4 years ago but they don't have it on file." If that's honestly all there is to the story, it's frankly bizarre that that's what's keeping you from getting a new apartment. In my experience most prospective landlords only care about your current residence anyway, last two at most.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    1ddqd wrote: »
    JHunz wrote: »

Ok to clarify - I paid every month's rent on time. I was late twice, due to being out of town on holiday and in the hospital another. I received most of my security deposit back, but I don't have the bank statements to prove it (I closed the credit union account I was using at the time and have since switched to Bank of America. Since we're going on 7 years, the records were most likely destroyed (and the credit union account I had switched names to Viewpoint Bank...so doubtful the records exist there).

tldr: never missed a rent payment, even paid the last one. $63 is what they say I owe. No immediate record of it, accountant has to dumpster dive to find it. Crafting a "proof of debt" letter now to send certified today on my lunch break.

Even your clarification isn't very clear. You were never late, except when you were? o_O The hospital I can understand, but being out of town isn't a viable excuse for most places.

tl;dr - Because Old Place claims you owe $63, New Place isn't renting to you?

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So... pay the $63, case closed?

Arguing with the apartment group over the details of this will not play out in your favor. It will make you look like an irritable or untrustworthy tenant, even if it isn't the case. I'd play the "I was not aware of that, I took care of it immediately" card, which makes you look like an inattentive, if mostly upstanding sort of fellow, which is probably preferable.

Keep in mind, any apartment that is held by a group, trust, or rental company will make sure there is no chance on their losing on the investment. This means if they are letting you in without a hassle, that the apartment is a dive or they are desperate. If they give you trouble, it means the apartment is quality or they suck at something have been sued lots of times.

Use your common sense in evaluating the situation.

Enc on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It shouldn't prevent the new place from renting to you, maybe they will just raise the security deposit. Where have you been living since?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sorry, ok, I'm just a little upset about this whole thing.

I was only late twice (3-5 days overdue) at the apartments who say I owe $63.

The red flag for the new place is that this shows up on my credit report. I have 4 years since of clean rental history with no damages, no complaints, nothing.

I don't know that it will prevent me from getting the place, but I have pay stubs to prove I'm 3x the rent amount (in addition to my girlfriend's funds, who also is going on the lease). The girl from the new place said she needs something from my old place that says either the debt isn't mine or that it's been taken care of.

If I just pay it, the charge won't be off my record. I want it erased, and simply paying it just says "Sure, I didn't pay these guys hur hur!"

1ddqd on
  • Options
    LurkbotLurkbot Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

The red flag for the new place is that this shows up on my credit report. I have 4 years since of clean rental history with no damages, no complaints, nothing.

I don't know that it will prevent me from getting the place, but I have pay stubs to prove I'm 3x the rent amount (in addition to my girlfriend's funds, who also is going on the lease). The girl from the new place said she needs something from my old place that says either the debt isn't mine or that it's been taken care of.

I think you're sweating over nothing. Have you called the new (potential) apartment place and let them know what's up? They might say "No biggie" especially if you have 3 other, and more recent, years of good rental history. At worse, as Improvolone said, they might raise the deposit a bit.

They would much rather have the place rented than not though, so you have that going for you.

Lurkbot on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

If I just pay it, the charge won't be off my record. I want it erased, and simply paying it just says "Sure, I didn't pay these guys hur hur!"

Gotcha. So you're positive you don't owe Old Place the $63? And is Old Place chasing you directly, or is it a collection agency?

Tell the new place that you are positive that the debt is not yours, you received your security deposit back without any deductions of $63, and you are requesting proof of debt from them via certified mail.

And in the meantime, just expect to slap down a bigger security deposit. Money talks - several months as a deposit screams.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I don't know that it will prevent me from getting the place, but I have pay stubs to prove I'm 3x the rent amount (in addition to my girlfriend's funds, who also is going on the lease).

Ugh, is it a ZOM community? If so, turn tail and run.

If you haven't done so already, look in your local newspaper for individual leased properties. The downsides are that, depending on your landlord, you can have a freaking awesome situation or a terribad one. This is true about the companies as well, but the difference is that with a non-community landlord:

-Your rent will usually be lower
    -things will get fixed faster (if its a good lease)
    -better properties

Really, I've rented in a lot of places before I got where I am now. I have a huge place, rent it for cheaper than I could have got an apartment a third of the size, and my landlady lives on the other side of the nation (no inspection). When things break (like my AC last summer), it gets fixed in days, not weeks like some communities do.

Just something to think about.

Enc on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ... what the fuck is a ZOM community?

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

ZOM is a management company that operates in the southeast and midwestern US. They are well known for buying decent apartment complexes, evicting any with a credit score below a certain amount, renovating the empty ones to make them seem ritzy, then raising the rent for their tenants by a ridiculous amount to pay for the renovations the existing tenants will never see.

They are also well known for "losing" safety deposits, delaying the check out walkthroughs until after the deadline required to get deposits back, not repairing essentials (one of the most prevalent are the stairwells for buildings, putting up caution tape and ignoring collapsed masonry on the non-showcase buildings rather than reparing the stairs).

This is just some of the things they do. Bad news. I've ended up in two communities that were bought out by them, same story for both. I wasn't evicted, but when you rent for a one/one goes from $690 to $1150 for renovations you won't see, you can imagine how fast you will move out.

Enc on
  • Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It could just be for owed utilities or you exceeded your security deposit (carpet replacement, blinds, etc...).

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Enc wrote: »

ZOM is a management company that operates in the southeast and midwestern US. They are well known for buying decent apartment complexes, evicting any with a credit score below a certain amount, renovating the empty ones to make them seem ritzy, then raising the rent for their tenants by a ridiculous amount to pay for the renovations the existing tenants will never see.

They are also well known for "losing" safety deposits, delaying the check out walkthroughs until after the deadline required to get deposits back, not repairing essentials (one of the most prevalent are the stairwells for buildings, putting up caution tape and ignoring collapsed masonry on the non-showcase buildings rather than reparing the stairs).

This is just some of the things they do. Bad news. I've ended up in two communities that were bought out by them, same story for both. I wasn't evicted, but when you rent for a one/one goes from $690 to $1150 for renovations you won't see, you can imagine how fast you will move out.

So a corporation of slum lords, basically? Sounds lovely.

Glad it's limited to that region.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, the real tragedy is that they don't go after crappy real estate. All the communities I lived in were very nice in good neighborhoods before they took over. Red flags across the board.

To the OP, something to consider with managed communities. Your lease can be bought and sold, with no guarantee of getting another year there at the same rate.

Enc on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It could just be for owed utilities or you exceeded your security deposit (carpet replacement, blinds, etc...).

With our shared apartment, the only thing we could have been charged for would have been living or kitchen, bedrooms were our own property. And being that my old roommate got money back too, it couldn't have been a common area that sapped the security deposit. Especially since I'm pretty sure I got some money back. I just don't have statements in my hands at the moment.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Holy shit, this describes what happened to me exactly. I'm in Florida, we stayed in a nice apartment community with decent rent for a year. ZOM bought them midway through the year. Stairs stayed broken for awhile with caution tape, exactly as you said. When it came time to renew, they tried to up our rent by like $200, for the same reasons you said: they were renovating the empty apartments, of course, we wouldn't see those renovations if we stayed in the same place. We got out of there fast. Funny, they even couldn't schedule walkout times before our lease was up, and delayed the safety deposit return. in the end, we got everything back, but it sucked because the community, and location were great. But fuck if I pay an extra $200 a month for no tangible benefit to me.

As to the OP, I don't really have a lot of advice. As others said, I'm surprised this is an issue, as you have good records at other places in the meantime. Tell the new place you've never heard about this debt, they never took it out of your deposit, and you're currently working on resolving it. I'd be surprised if this prevented you from leasing.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »

Holy shit, this describes what happened to me exactly. I'm in Florida, we stayed in a nice apartment community with decent rent for a year. ZOM bought them midway through the year. Stairs stayed broken for awhile with caution tape, exactly as you said. When it came time to renew, they tried to up our rent by like $200, for the same reasons you said: they were renovating the empty apartments, of course, we wouldn't see those renovations if we stayed in the same place. We got out of there fast. Funny, they even couldn't schedule walkout times before our lease was up, and delayed the safety deposit return. in the end, we got everything back, but it sucked because the community, and location were great. But fuck if I pay an extra $200 a month for no tangible benefit to me.

As to the OP, I don't really have a lot of advice. As others said, I'm surprised this is an issue, as you have good records at other places in the meantime. Tell the new place you've never heard about this debt, they never took it out of your deposit, and you're currently working on resolving it. I'd be surprised if this prevented you from leasing.

Sun Key?

Enc on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Don't you guys have rent control where you live? Doing that here would be illegal.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i think there is a percentage of rent control here (it can increase, but only by a certain amount each month) in MD. Is DC similar to NY in rent control?

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you called the claimant and they have no record of it, dispute it with the credit reporting agencies. They'll contact your old landlord and tell them they need to produce records, and if they can't the CRA will remove the listing totally, rather then showing it as late in any way.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i think there is a percentage of rent control here (it can increase, but only by a certain amount each month) in MD. Is DC similar to NY in rent control?

In DC you can only increase the rent by a certain % each year, and another certain % every two years.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I do not believe Florida has rent control in any form. If so, I'm pretty sure every one of these communities would be out of business.

Enc on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    rent control... is a good idea

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Sun Key?

Why hello there former neighbor.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294