As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Big smelly head [DOODLE] face with words that make me go ARAHAHREIAHRIA

• Options
    EdmanEdman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Been out of practice lately, but I doodled this today...

underwater.jpg

Edman on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Made one of my buds a Street Fighter themed birthday card. I spent way too much time on it for only one person to see it.

Front:
    cardfront.jpg

Back: (spoilered for bigness)
    [cardback.jpg[/URL]

Nobody saw my botp'ness...I bet I just got botp'd again...

Worstcase, I lost my phone for 2 months. I did not talk to anyone during that time, nor did anyone try to contact me. It was a boring time, but strangely relaxing.

Radar, those are some great sketches, lotsa energy.

Nice one too Ed.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    aw man i've edited this post like 4 times now:

I had to paint over to demonstrate. Took me about 15 mins, apologies if this oversteps. I just think you could push the lighting/narrative and perspective, this is kind of what i meant in the description above.
    wckpaint.jpg

edit:
    Also you should know this isn't 3-point perspective, it's almost entirely 1 point perspective, except for your big door which is trying to demonstrate its massiveness by pulling toward a second perspective point. It doesn't really work though, because all your other figures aren't being drawn toward the same point. So, really, it sort of just looks like a weirdly shaped door. I didn't want to change that, but it might be worth considering which direction you're going to go in.

Vertical perspective points aren't often use in scenes where the focus is on the horizon, because in every day life we'd only really notice that kind of thing if we were looking up. It's hard to look up AND at the horizon at the same time. So most of your vertical lines would be straight up and down.

ALSO wanted to say that some of the lines you make when you're trying to do perspective stuff sometimes feel VERY counter-intuitive. Like the upmost lines of those rafter things I added are at a very oblique angle which felt really unnatural to draw. I get this crawling feeling sometimes when I do this stuff because it FEELS wrong. Try experimenting with more extreme lines and see what happens.

Actually, here's with the straight door. I don't think it's an improvement, i like the original shape, but it makes more visual sense. Maybe try your door shape, but without fucking around with that second perspective point.
    wckpaintsquaredoor.jpg

THANKS A BUNDLE DUDE!!!!!!!!!!! HELPS SOOOOOooooo Much.
    *btw originally it was a simple 1point rotated on its side, but the Tafe group im doing this for wanted it to show more scale, so they wanted it to be 3 point perspective on the door. Its hard to balance, 'what they want', 'what looks correct', and also 'what my skills are capable of atm'. But your paintover looks more spot on than mine. Im liking the second image door. Maybe mine gets too narrow too fast...? Ill ef around with it some more. CHeers dude!
    Radar6590 wrote: »
    More work sketches. We've been really slow the past two days...
    spoiler]
    Pencil_Sketch_007_by_IHMPCYPAWB.jpg

Pencil_Sketch_006_by_IHMPCYPAWB.jpg

*thumbs-up*

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

underwater.jpg

Man, if this were a painting I'd totally buy it.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

underwater.jpg

Man, if this were a painting I'd totally buy it.

Second that!

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    CharisCharis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    noom.jpg

What the hell, file size.

Charis on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is this ref'ed, Charis? The hand is absolutely superb.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I forgot to mention I had a ref, though I did say it the first time I posted the WIP. It's a stock image ref I got the pose and most of the lighting from. Modified the face and some of the color as well as a few other things, but I need that ref. There's no way this stuff could come from the top of my head.

Charis on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Man, that hand really is great.

Tam on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Reffed or not the whole thing is looking incredibly good...but yes, particularly the hand.

Mustang on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    heheh

SwineFlute.jpg

NightDragon on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    toot floot

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    PIGGY

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    More work sketches. We've been really slow the past two days...
    Pencil_Sketch_007_by_IHMPCYPAWB.jpg

Pencil_Sketch_006_by_IHMPCYPAWB.jpg

It is totally impossible to have muscles that defined while also having skin.
    These are really rad though, neat stuff.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    red and green times
    pic136.jpg
    pic137.jpg

wakkawa on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    wakawwaaa, you and your nsfw work being posted in the doodle thread

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    BardiBardi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    also in the mechwarrior 5 thread (???)

Bardi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's a sexy christmas!

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Browser tabs confuse the shit out of me sometimes.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh holy shit wakkawa

Tam on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The sexiness is palpable....makes me want to rub up against something.....or someone!

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Wakk did you ever post the butterfly lady in black with white trim here?

Tam on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wakka is a rebel, fighting for his right to post boobies in-line.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    Vague Iruka redesign because I couldn't be bothered to come up with an original concept to draw.
    iruka_redesign.jpg

God do I always hate my pencils when I scan them in.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wakka do you have a girlfriend? If not, it's probably because all the women you paint are so fucking gorgeous they feel inadequate.

Stop it.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Wakkawa draws boobies so well he knows any workplace would recognize even those well-sized knockers as 'art'.

Seriously though, looking awfully nice there. The only thing I have to critique is that the belly button on that first woman looks super high. I know that sometimes that's a technique used to attract attention to the sexiness of ladybits, because it makes the pelvis look longer, but I'd still put it down a little. It's like, right below her ribcage and that's kind of creepy when you really consider it.

Otherwise, lovely. Digging the phoenix red catching her skin in a few places. Would love to see a little more there on her right side.

Charis on
  • Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    DSC03082.jpg

If any of you are ever in the Marine Corps infantry. Don't let them find out you're an artist. They'll make you do bullshit like painting a sign. With spray paint, because they don't have any normal paint.

"He can draw, paint that sign over there!"

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I made my own thread!!! Please help me make better arts.

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    Vague Iruka redesign because I couldn't be bothered to come up with an original concept to draw.
    iruka_redesign.jpg

!!!!

Oh AoB, drawings of me make me super happy! this is awesome! Its like a winter dragon suit!

Iruka on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Too many good illustrations have been posted in this thread. Shame on you all! Time to justify the title of this thread by posting some crappy sketches.

29gftl1.jpg

v3hyti.jpg

These are sketches on characters im developing. You guys have probably noticed ive drawn a lot of dudes with long mullets and bald/receding hairlines. Im developinign characters for some short stories ive written which, over the summer holidays (december-march) im going to try and do a shitty animation which i will enter into a few comps and shows online. Not hoping to win, but just for fun. To kinda expand my creativity. But anyway. doodles

iruka_redesign.jpg

MaximasXXZ wrote: »
    DSC03082.jpg

If any of you are ever in the Marine Corps infantry. Don't let them find out you're an artist. They'll make you do bullshit like painting a sign. With spray paint, because they don't have any normal paint.

"He can draw, paint that sign over there!"

This one aint really BOTP, but i want to cause some NSFW controversy!
    wakkawa wrote: »
    red and green times
    pic136.jpg
    pic137.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Everyone is doing so nicely! I want to see more stuff from worstcase!

Wakka: You've got the hot bitches market cornered.

AoB: Very nice sketch, but you need to work on your pose balance.

ND: TOOT TOOT

Charise: how can you color balance working on one part at a time like that?

What's that thing that makes your wacom paint better?

PROX on
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    PROX wrote: »

Since she and I live together and work with the same types of techniques, I hope I can answer for her. Color balancing working on one piece at a time isn't difficult when you understand the pallete and color scheme you're using. She's using greens, blues reds, and oranges in the skin, and as long as she sticks with the basic theory of "red and green" or "blue and orange", it'll give the piece a consistant feel. That color scheme, for example, would be "split complimentary" or a variant of it.

She's also using a reference, and taking any color she sees and exxagerating it slightly. So that keeps things consistant as well.

As for painting better, she and I both use the wet loaded watercolor flat tip brush in photoshop, edited to change opacity and size based on pen pressure, and then gradient a large number of colors and hues together for soft light. And, of course, use hard, contrasting edges for hard light. Basically, following the principals of classical painting techniques, but digitally.

Hope that helps.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hey, I did some art on a wall today!

14072009050-1.jpg

Not finished yet. That's a snake, it ropes around and joins up with my friends piece on the other side of the column.

Excuse the extra-crummy phone photo :(

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Since she and I live together and work with the same types of techniques, I hope I can answer for her. Color balancing working on one piece at a time isn't difficult when you understand the pallete and color scheme you're using. She's using greens, blues reds, and oranges in the skin, and as long as she sticks with the basic theory of "red and green" or "blue and orange", it'll give the piece a consistant feel. That color scheme, for example, would be "split complimentary" or a variant of it.

She's also using a reference, and taking any color she sees and exxagerating it slightly. So that keeps things consistant as well.

As for painting better, she and I both use the wet loaded watercolor flat tip brush in photoshop, edited to change opacity and size based on pen pressure, and then gradient a large number of colors and hues together for soft light. And, of course, use hard, contrasting edges for hard light. Basically, following the principals of classical painting techniques, but digitally.

Hope that helps.

It seems counter-intuitive to focus on single body parts before getting the general color, value, and composition down. Also painting on a solid white background messes with your sense of value because each time you're filling up a limb that decreases the brightness of your canvas.

Also I meant wasn't there a driver or something that people have been plugging into photoshop that adjusts the pressure sensitivity of your tablet?

PROX on
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It seems counter-intuitive to focus on single body parts before getting the general color, value, and composition down. Also painting on a solid white background messes with your sense of value because each time you're filling up a limb that decreases the brightness of your canvas.

Also I meant wasn't there a driver or something that people have been plugging into photoshop that adjusts the pressure sensitivity of your tablet?

That's true, but then you just make changes to it later if it does present a problem. Sometimes I work on solid white, and sometimes I work on a 50% gray BG.

As for drivers, the pressure sensitivity comes with the standard wacom drivers, and usually you can go into control panel change those settings if you're using a windows PC. Charis and I are at work right, now, and she just doesn't have internet so she'll probably respond later to suppliment what I said.

Desperaterobots: That's so sick. I'd buy it.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    edited July 2009

That's true, but then you just make changes to it later if it does present a problem. Sometimes I work on solid white, and sometimes I work on a 50% gray BG.

As for drivers, the pressure sensitivity comes with the standard wacom drivers, and usually you can go into control panel change those settings if you're using a windows PC. Charis and I are at work right, now, and she just doesn't have internet so she'll probably respond later to suppliment what I said.

Desperaterobots: That's so sick. I'd buy it.

No I mean there was something people were installing a while back that let's you adjust the pressure sensitivity curve on a wacom. I know how to set stuff in the driver and all that photoshop stuff. That was a question unrelated to the painting.

PROX on
  • Options
    worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I want that Desperaterobots. Like, i NEED it.

worstcase on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Worst case I want you to draw something! Your drawings bring the happy.

PROX on
  • Options
    worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmkaysies. But what will i draw!? AHHHH

worstcase on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Random scribble:
    random_1a.jpg

tried to refine but didn't like what I came up with:
    random_1b.jpg

I lost a lot of the fun shapes in the orginal and stiffened up the pose.

PROX on
This discussion has been closed.