As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh no! 2 is down! ArmA 2 that is.

Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Social Entropy++
ARMA II BITCHES
THAT IS RIGHT. WE DOING THIS

This is a game that is not for pussies, as the easiest difficulty will rape you. Not even going to pull down your pants, just rape you.
So look at a trailer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXsPif3sBhA

Yeah, that looks NICE.
How do you like to play? Singleplayer? No problem. If you get tired with the campaign, download or make your own custom missions with a fucking Mission Editor (Should be called Mission Maker).

Do you like Multiplayer? Shooting other real players? Or shooting other people with your friends? Gotcha covered!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDoaDT6_I4I&feature=related

So what do you want to do?
Snipe? We got you covered.
Lead a squad? We got you covered.
Drive some cars? Got you covered.
Drive some MLRS? Got you covered.
Tanks? APC's? VTOLs? Choppers? Gotcha covered.

What do you want to shoot with? Barret? AK47/m/107? Bizon? M16? M4? G36? Hell I'm not even going to bother, there's a list somewhere go google for that if you really want to know, there's a bunch of weapon you can shoot stuff with.

This thread is for discussing this game/simulator.
What did you think of that one custom mission? The campaign? Any tips for landing with the osprey in tiny areas?
We got to discuss this awesome game.

Also, if you think you suck at this game you need to keep at it and you'll notice quite quickly that you won't get killed by everyone immediately.

More videos in spoiler

Burning Organ on

• Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have this and would love to play it, but I suffer from the ATI corruption bug, so it is unplayable until a patch fixes it.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Man I didn't know I had posted this.

Oh well it's here now.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I tried this and wasn't really into it. Seemed pretty meh to me.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I like the absolute freedom it gives you.

Also I like flying choppers and not many games get it "right".

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Someone call me when NeoTokyo is released.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This looks pretty awesome but until I get my new computer I will hold off. I like that Track IR crap you can use for it. Maybe not enough to actually buy one but it looks cool.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I dunno, after you've tried ArmA with ACEmod, normal ArmA feels very, very limited. That's how I feel with ArmA II now. (I especially miss being able to zero rifles manually =\ )

Anyway if you guys are up for games I just got myself a new graphic card and cpu to run this so I'd very much like to join in.

sonictk on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, this game is so fucking buggy. I managed to break the first mission - you were supposed to target some tanks and call down air strikes to call them down, but if you do it in the wrong order the mission just stops, you can't trigger the next event to keep the campaign going.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You know now that I think about it, I may just stick to CoD4 and MW2 when it comes out. I'm not very good at realistic shooters. I was terrible at BHD and I didn't really care for the BF2 demo.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SirToasty wrote: »
    You know now that I think about it, I may just stick to CoD4 and MW2 when it comes out. I'm not very good at realistic shooters. I was terrible at BHD and I didn't really care for the BF2 demo.

That's why you play it with a good group of people.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Maybe so. I played BHD with my friend and his clan-like group but it always just ended up being a campfest. Most of them were pretty annoying though so I guess that explains it.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Rolo wrote: »
    Man, this game is so fucking buggy. I managed to break the first mission - you were supposed to target some tanks and call down air strikes to call them down, but if you do it in the wrong order the mission just stops, you can't trigger the next event to keep the campaign going.
    My mission is broken too. I can paint the targets with the laser marker but no matter what I do I can't call in the strike. The mission-branching system probably needs some work.

Frankly I'm having more fun going MP with a couple of old friends who I know from OFP, but it's annoying to play a coop campaign and then get stuck thanks to a goddamn bug.

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I need to express my loves for machineguns in this game.

Guys.

Machineguns in this game are awesome. Especially if you get a scope for them.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You are a stupid bitch.

I am right now

Right now

encoding the video I cut together for when I made this thread today.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Let's not mention that this thread should have "OH NO. 2. IS DOWN" should be in the title.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Man I am sorry, but I waited for a fucking week and then I made this thread.

YOU HAD A WEEK TO MAKE THIS THREAD.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I may be a heretic here

but these gameplay videos look absolutely atrocious most of the time

that APC clipping like six feet into a solid stone wall

that guy in the truck who went from sitting to falling out when he got sniped just sort of blinked into a standing position and then fell through the door as it opened

all the models look like marionettes...

I'm reserving judgment that maybe this is just idiots recording bad examples, but so far I haven't seen any gameplay videos of people actually playing the game and making it look interesting.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's not FOR you.

But seriously, it might not be for you. You could check out the demo and see if you enjoy it.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I may be a heretic here

but these gameplay videos look absolutely atrocious most of the time

that APC clipping like six feet into a solid stone wall

that guy in the truck who went from sitting to falling out when he got sniped just sort of blinked into a standing position and then fell through the door as it opened

all the models look like marionettes...

I'm reserving judgment that maybe this is just idiots recording bad examples, but so far I haven't seen any gameplay videos of people actually playing the game and making it look interesting.

PA Joe Stupidity

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Wait a minute, this is PA guys?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Not that hard to land a vtol....

Well at least it shouldn't be,

I mean you just pop on auto hover and gently go down.

The osprey has autohover, right? I haven't played around with it much.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    autohover is for pussies.

also yea this is the kind of game that would be enjoyed by people who can stand waiting 3 hours in the same position behind binoculars reporting on troop movements in a nearby town before directing an A-10 to unload all over it and then directing an assault element towards it. Definitely not anything like BF2.

sonictk on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't have $50 to drop right now. Goddamnit.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    God I love Evolution coop marines.

Although always starting with two rifles and the single use rocket launcher is kind of a downer, but once you get to the machineguns things start to happen!

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I gotta admit, when I saw an ArmA thread, I was pretty much expecting NaC to be the poster.

I'm glad I wasn't completely wrong.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have this, but have yet to really get into it. Stupid tutorial stymies me at every turn. 'Use the Action menu to pick up your wounded squadmate'. PERHAPS YOU SHOULD TELL ME HOW TO ACCESS THE ACTION MENU. THIS WOULD BE HELPFUL INFORMATION. Oh there's something in the Controls menu about Action, let's see if that works. Nope, it does absolutely nothing.

I am apparently too stupid to play this game.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    roll your mousewheel. Basically anytime you're not sure of what you can do, roll the mousewheel.

Also, I guess it might be a good time to point out that first aid and dragging buddies isn't available off the bat in MP. At least, not from what I've played of it so far.

I am really, really missing the extensive attention to detail that ArmA had that ArmA II just doesn't have atm. Also not a fan of the new gear dialog: too simplified and the backpack system isn't as robust as I'd have preferred. Hopefully the ACE mod team can get a working build released soon, because right now, apart from improved eye candy, ArmA II doesn't really seem to bring that many other improvements.

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You need to be corpsman in multiplayer.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    vsove wrote: »
    I have this, but have yet to really get into it. Stupid tutorial stymies me at every turn. 'Use the Action menu to pick up your wounded squadmate'. PERHAPS YOU SHOULD TELL ME HOW TO ACCESS THE ACTION MENU. THIS WOULD BE HELPFUL INFORMATION. Oh there's something in the Controls menu about Action, let's see if that works. Nope, it does absolutely nothing.

I am apparently too stupid to play this game.

I've had many of the same joys. Playing the tutorial on a difficulty higher than regular removes all waypoints. "Come over here and get your rifle!" Come over where? Who's talking to me? Where are you? How do I get a rifle?

Brolo on