As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Job Interview

rational vashrational vash Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Tomorrow at 1 PM i have a job with a local movie theater. First, a few things to keep in mind:

1) I need this job. Well, i don't need it to survive, but as i am starting college this fall, and would like to move out soon, i really want this job.
2)My county has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, so i expect alot of competition. This is the only interview i have managed to get in the last 6 months.

So, with that in mind, do any of you have any advice for me? Any help would be appreciated.

rational vash on

• Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tomorrow at 1 PM i have a job with a local movie theater. First, a few things to keep in mind:

1) I need this job. Well, i don't need it to survive, but as i am starting college this fall, and would like to move out soon, i really want this job.
    2)My county has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, so i expect alot of competition. This is the only interview i have managed to get in the last 6 months.

So, with that in mind, do any of you have any advice for me? Any help would be appreciated.

dress sharply. business wear. this means black socks, tie, the works. Act confident even if you aren't, and try to relax. nothing was worse when I was doing interviews than having some plain clothed kid come in all nervous and stutter his way through an interview.

if you don't have an answer to a question right off the bat "hmm" and "uuh" are awful things and fill the silence with two of the dumbest sounds ever uttered. sit in silence if you have to.

also they will always ask "how long do you plan on being with the company" any answer less <2+ years pretty much bumps any chance you had. even if you will only be there a few months act like you are staying longer

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    One of the things that has almost always landed me my jobs has been the fact that I simply do. not. call. out.

Even if this is un true, say that you can count on one hand the amount of times you've called out of work since you've been working.

Unless of course you haven't been working at all, and this is your first job, then mention school attendence rate.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A tie is a little over the top, I'd say, but definitely collared shirt and nice pants and shave and stuff. Look the interviewer in the eye and after the interview send a thank you letter saying you appreciate their taking the time to interview you and you hope that they know how interested you are in getting the job.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bring a resume in a nice binder, and give it to the interviewer when you leave.

Make sure it has your contact information on the top(phone number especially), and some references. Even if you don't have much experience to put on it, something's better than nothing.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would wear dress attire but leave the jacket and tie at home. Bring the nice shoes and the slacks though.

Make eye contact and try to believe what your saying is actually remotely interesting.

My first job was at a movie theater like 6 or 7 years ago and the interview was stupidly simple and fast and they hired me on the spot. I would not be surprised if it ends up being more like a casual conversation than an actual interview.

You're more than likely going to be interviewed by what is essentially a peer, unless movie theater management structure varies dramatically by locale, there's only really one or two managers in the whole place, and varying degrees of grunts, one of whom is likely to be doing the interview.

If this is your first job, fuck a resume... it's silly and a waste of paper just to bring something that verified that you graduated high school. The fact that you show up in something that doesn't have holes in it is going to be your big qualifier.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    rational vashrational vash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for all the advice guys, i really appreciate it.

Yea, this would be my first job ever, so i think a resume is a bit too much. The only thing of note I do that i think they would care about is volunteer at a place that builds computers for poor schools and senior centers, but since i put that on the application i think they already know that; it's probably the reason they're interviewing me.

I just went down to the store and bought khakis and a dress shirt, but i forgot to get shoes. My normal shoes are a rather plain pair of black nike's, so hopefully that'll work for them.

rational vash on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Eh, probably not. I'd go get a pair of nice black leather dress shoes. Doesn't have to be super expensive or anything, but definitely head down to the mall and get something nice for your feet. They'll be handy to have around in the future anyways.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    MethylamineMethylamine Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Unless they hire you on the spot, send the interviewer a thank-you letter. Write and mail it that very day. I can't stress this enough. I recently learned that my thank-you note post-interview essentially got me my job, since I was the only one to do it. Not only does it remind them of your name, but it also tells them you're polite and responsible.

Methylamine on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    dress nice

smile

make eye contact

have a firm handshake

relax

act confident

beyond that, go with the flow and sound interested and serious about the whole thing.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!