As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So I think I secretly hate myself.

KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm always really down about myself/my life. I can't see why anyone would like me, if anyone asks me how my weekend went, I automatically assume that they're just bored, not that they actually care. I'm rarely proud of my accomplishments either.

What can I do to like myself better?

Klorgnum on

• Options
    GiraGira Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    1. Would you want yourself as a friend? Yes/No.
    2. If no, what would you need to change for 1 to be true?
    3. Do shit from number 2.

That's what I did.

Gira on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You may have depression (which can hit just about anybody at random) and/or suffer from some kind of general self-esteem issues. Talk to a doctor about this, and maybe get a referral for a psychiatrist, who can help more.

Alternately, what are your activities?

Perhaps you should try exercising regularly, or setting some kind of goal or doing something else that could help improve your self image. Even changing your diet around to something healthier can help.

Replace the negative thinking that you have with uh... positive thinking? I don't know.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If I ask someone how their weekend went it usually is because I'm bored. Just making conversation, it's something to pass the time; sometimes interesting subjects come up. Of course if something terrible happened to them I'd be concerned, and if something wonderful happened I'd want to know more, but it's not like I'm hugely invested in their goings on. I don't particularly want non-family to care too much about my goings on; seems a bit creepy.

Don't be down on yourself. If it's depression do something about it. If it's lack of self-confidence then set goals and accomplish them (be it exercising, a hobby, a project, learning something new, whatever). As said, regular exercise, eating right, and getting sufficient sleep will do good things for your energy levels.

Djeet on
  • Options
    perspexacityperspexacity Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, what is it about yourself that you hate?

perspexacity on
    "I will cut out the part you most desire."
  • Options
    Cptn PantsCptn Pants Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd say not to worry about it too much, I hate myself too. Now, the important thing is what you do about it.. See, I hate myself because I have a shit job, no education and no prospects for the future... soo I'm working on figuring out what I want to do with the rest of my life, then I can get an education and hence have prospects. It's the hate that drives me.

Cptn Pants on
  • Options
    LightbladeLightblade Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Klorgnum wrote: »
    I'm always really down about myself/my life. I can't see why anyone would like me, if anyone asks me how my weekend went, I automatically assume that they're just bored, not that they actually care. I'm rarely proud of my accomplishments either.

This is almost text book depression. Do you find yourself not having much energy as well?

Either way, see a doctor to see if you can get some medication for it. You really don't want to be messing around with depression, as it will rarely get better on its own.

Lightblade on
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Everybody gets into a slump now and then. Take some time to figure out what's really causing you to feel this way, then do what you've gotta do in order to address those issues. Seeing a doc is a good idea as well, in case this is a more serious imbalance.

However, if it's just a temporary down-and-out sort of feeling, two things help me when I'm bummed. First is the Story of Solomon's Ring.

Second is some advice I got from my Grandpa, who is an EE. He used to tell me that life isn't like DC, it's like AC. That is, there's going to be dips and rises - troughs and crests. The trick is to be the Direct Current in an Alternating Current world. Cut a straight path through the ups and the lows, keep a firm emotional balance.

That second one is more abstract and geeky advice, but it always made a lot of sense to me.

Reckless on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Klorgnum wrote: »

you can get your ass to a therapist, because it is by far the easiest way to deal with issues like this.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Reckless wrote: »
    However, if it's just a temporary down-and-out sort of feeling, two things help me when I'm bummed. First is the Story of Solomon's Ring.
    That's a damn good proverb. I'd never heard it before, but I won't forget it!

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Reckless wrote: »

I hadn't heard that story before, I'll have to remember it.

I don't think I really need a therapist in this case. If it's depression, it's not clinical and it's definitely not severe. I think it comes down mostly to self-confidence issues. The thing is, I have no reason to feel this way. I'm an above average guitarist and I've written okay music, I can code in multiple languages and understand integral calculus. I get good grades and I have a loving family. The problem is, I still feel like I'm not worth anything.

Thanks for the H/A, H/A.

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    GirlPantsGirlPants Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The best advice is just to try and improve yourself and stop being so negative. Therapy could help but also a little introspection could too.

GirlPants on
  • Options
    RazielRaziel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Okay, so you have some skills. Is the problem that you're just not getting any recognition for your abilities? Do you perform at open mic nights and earn no applause? A little positive feedback can go a long way to help your self esteem.

Step one, though, is to recognize and be proud of your achievements.

Raziel on
    Read the mad blog-rantings of a manic hack writer here.

Thank you, Rubacava!