As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Building an affordable gaming computer...

eric.eric. __BANNED USERS regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello.

My younger brother is building his first gaming computer, and I've been fairly out of the loop in terms of computer hardware as my interest in computer gaming waned around the end of 2006, so I am not well versed in the market, and would like some assistance.

So far, here is what we've come up with.

Asus M4N78 PRO Barebone Kit, includes;

Asus M4N78 PRO Motherboard - Socket AM2+, Geforce 8300, ATX, HDMI, SATA, Gbit LAN, Hybrid SLI

AMD Phenom X4 9600 Quad Core CPU 2.30GHz, 4MB Cache, 1800MHz (3600 MT/s) FSB, Agena, with fan

Ultra 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory

Ultra 1024MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory

Western Digital Hard Drive - 500GB, 16MB, SATA-300

Mid-size ATX case with window side panel and fan, and 450-watt power supply

XFX GeForce 9600 GSO Video Card - 768MB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0, Dual Link DVI, SLI

Acer X223WBD 22" LCD - 5ms, 2500:1, (WSXGA+) 1680x1050, DVI

Any suggestions? We are building it on a budget, and this is a pretty good build, I think. But if there is anything I should consider or look at, please let me know!

Thanks in advance for the help!

eric. on

• MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What's the tally?

MindLib on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd take an ATI mid-range card over the 9600 imo....their mid ranges are usually better bang for your buck.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have a 9600GT and it's a very capable card, I don't know how the GSO compares.

W2 on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    just so you know, there is a whole thread about building computers here http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=90217&page=45

you can also ask here but I would repost the same question there as well.

just a few things though

1) gaming computers don't need to have quad cores.

2) don't be afraid to buy individual parts instead of a barebones kit. especially look for stuff on sale and with rebates.

3) get 800 MHz ram at least so long as your mobo can handle it.

4) there is no optical drive, mouse or keyboard

5) check canadian newegg as well http://www.newegg.ca/

Dunadan019 on
  • TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    just so you know, there is a whole thread about building computers here http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=90217&page=45

you can also ask here but I would repost the same question there as well.

just a few things though

1) gaming computers don't need to have quad cores.

2) don't be afraid to buy individual parts instead of a barebones kit. especially look for stuff on sale and with rebates.

3) get 800 MHz ram at least so long as your mobo can handle it.

4) there is no optical drive, mouse or keyboard

5) check canadian newegg as well http://www.newegg.ca/

They don't need Quad cores but the standard performance in games with a Phenom II is about in line with upper performing Core 2 Duo's and Quads and can be purchased for less. Sure two cores will sit idle a lot but so be it.

I would honestly recommend seeing how much you can get something like a 4850 512MB, you have the makings of a pretty good setup but that 9600GT his going to hold it back really quickly. It might not be too slow yet but it will be.

Topweasel on
  • MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It would help to know what you're looking to spend.

MindLib on
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Some of the reviews on that bare bones setup say the power supply doesn't have all the plugs on it for a descent video card. Might wanna keep that in mind.

MushroomStick on
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would get 2x2 GB of ram instead of 2+1. Usually a pair will be a bit faster and RAM is really cheap these days. I know that if you go with a 32-bit OS then 4 GB including gfx-card is max but the OS will simply ignore the surplus not make trouble.

For gaming the graphics card is more critical than the CPU so if needed to save money somewhere go with a cheaper CPU. However your current choice seems a wise balance between cost and performance.

All in all I think the system seems nice balanced. If there is a little extra money then besides the extra RAM I would change the following:

- PSU 450 watt is really the minimum today and will limit choice of graphics card. I would say 600-700 watt is a better choice and often the bigger ones are more efficient so the actual power use will be less. Look for a label that says "80+" or something like that. Also look for anything silent/low-noise. The price difference should be really small.

- Monitor. Do consider a 24". It will have 1920x1200 so it will be able to show 1080p video and the extra desktop space is really a must have. Again the price difference should be small.

-Mouse, speakers, keyboard? Get a Logitech G5 mouse, a 2+1 speaker system (just google before you buy to avoid a lemon) and for keyboard either get a cheap one or make sure to go feel up the choices before buying.

How about the OS? I do not see that in the budget anywhere!

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    FYI, that's my monitor you're buying, and it's fucking fantastic for the price.

Thanatos on
  • eric.eric. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    We're planning on getting either Windows XP 64-bit, or Vista 64-bit. That, along with the keyboard/mouse and speakers aren't being factored into his budget, as I'm providing those. Should I bother spending the extra money on XP 64-bit, or will my copy of Pro SP3 32-bit be just as fine for his computer?

eric. on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    32 bit OSes cannot address more than 3 GB of RAM. If you're paying for 4 GB or more, get a 64 bit OS.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • eric.eric. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Is that really the only reason to opt for it? I mean, there has to be some other beneficial reason, innit there?

eric. on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    eric. wrote: »
    Is that really the only reason to opt for it? I mean, there has to be some other beneficial reason, innit there?

thats the major one.

either keep xp SP3 (perfectly fine)

or go with vista 64.

there is no reason to go with xp 64 if you have to buy it.

Dunadan019 on