As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Word Ace: Available Now for the Pre & iPhone/iPod Touch

selfawaregamesselfawaregames Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
Hey, all. Thanks to the PA crew for wanging the selfawaregames.com server. There's a tradition we're surprised and glad (and also not glad!) to be a part of. :D

The interest, is, of course, greatly appreciated. And while our server crawls off to the corner to mope for a bit, I figure I'd let you know that... uh... there's not actually much info on Word Ace there yet anyway!

We're cranking away in the last stages of development - testing, polish, all that jazz. We've got screenshots & a press release we're planning on sending out tomorrow, which'll show you a bit of what the game's like. I'll definitely post the details here as soon as I can.

If you're interested in Taxiball, it's about as simple a concept as a game can be - Crazy Taxi + Marble Madness. Got a retro style & an all-vocal beatbox soundtrack, and is available on iTunes now! The iTunes page has as much info as the website - hopefully when our blog comes back online, you'll check it out. Some weird stories about development, a little behind-the-scenes stuff, etc. Oh - speaking of behind-the-scenes stuff, there's an Instructable about designing and implementing the game's weird all-beatbox soundtrack.

Thanks again for checking us out, and we hope to play Word Ace (and Taxiball) with you soon!
seppo

selfawaregames on

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Looks like selfawaregames.com has been finally un-wanged.

Thanks!
    seppo

selfawaregames on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Woo! Word Ace is Live on the Palm Pre! If you've got one, check it out!
    seppo

selfawaregames on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I guess it's completely redundant and stupid to announce, but yeah, Word Ace is live on the iPhone! :D

I hope you get a chance to check it out! It's available here, and costs you $0!

Thanks!
    seppo

selfawaregames on
  • Options
    DreamingDemonDreamingDemon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not on the iPod touch yet though. :-( I don't have an iPhone! I NEED this game! And I don't think Amie will let me steal her iPhone permanently so I can get my fix...

DreamingDemon on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not on the iPod touch yet though. :-( I don't have an iPhone! I NEED this game! And I don't think Amie will let me steal her iPhone permanently so I can get my fix...

How is it on the iPhone but not the Touch?

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think he means it requires 3.0. Word Ace is totally awesome—seppo, congrats on getting a four-man team to release something as fun as this! It's completely worth the price of free, and after some consideration I'll likely throw $1.99 or so in as a donation or chip purchase. :D It's Texas Hold 'Em mashed up with Scrabble with live online multiplayer, and you get $1,000 in free chips a day.

FYI, Tycho wrote about this in today's newspost:
    Tycho wrote:
    I talked about the game a few weeks ago, after I'd been exposed to it by one of the developers at San Diego Comic-Con, but apparently it got caught up in some kind of certification purgatory and has only just now been released. Owners of the Palm Pre have been enjoying it already, no doubt making use of its handy keyboard entry system, but it's excellent no matter where you play it.

It's also free. This surprised me. It surprised me so much that I left a comment on their "blog," to the effect of "What?!?! Why is this game FREE," to which they responded:

"There are a lot of reasons - but primarily, we wanted to try something different. Heck, in part it’s inspired by PA’s user-supported model from the mid 90’s (or early aughts, but whatever - ed).

We think Word Ace is awesome. Rather than playing the insane App Store pricing lottery, we’re going to give players the option to pay whatever they want for the game, from $0 on up.

If you want extra chips, they’ll be available (in addition to the 1,000 you get every day for free). If you want to just help support the game, we’ll have donation options available, and we’ll give you a star by your icon for the next 30 days to show other people you’re helping support the game.

The whole idea is basically that you can play as much as you want, and pay whatever you want. We think Word Ace is the kind of game that people will love, and we hope they’ll choose to support its continued development."

I found that compelling.

Anyone with an iPhone or Pre needs to check this out. You can also play online multi with friends, with Wii-styled Friend Codes—if anyone wants to play me, my FC is 57356!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Actually, I'm really curious to know the deck composition, if you'd be willing to share? Cause, while I've been really wanting to start a weekly Texas Hold'em game, most of my nearby friends are a bit nerdy and would probably be far more interested in something like this, and it pretty much retains everything I love about poker while adding even more.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    For the record, I've been playing this since it came out a couple weeks ago on the Pre, and it's pretty awesome. The whole concept is brilliant, and the extra touches they put into it - like being able to change your avatar picture on the fly to match your emotion during the round, or the live chat with other players while waiting your turn - are absolutely stellar.

Last weekend I got stuck in dead-stopped traffic for about two hours on the way home from visiting my parents, and all I know is that if it weren't for Word Ace, I would have gone absolutely insane. Seriously, everyone needs to try this one out. You don't even have to be a good speller, since the Texas Hold Em style of the game lends itself to bluffing and psyching people out when the pots get large. It's really lots of fun.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Wow! Thanks! Glad we could help you stay sane, Dookie. :D

Thanks, Lunker, as well.

Inksplat - the deck composition is on our blog - http://www.selfawaregames.com/blog

Hope to see you all online!
    seppo

selfawaregames on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Wow! Thanks! Glad we could help you stay sane, Dookie. :D

Thanks, Lunker, as well.

Inksplat - the deck composition is on our blog - http://www.selfawaregames.com/blog

Hope to see you all online!
    seppo

Oh, awesome! You guys are definitely generous--I'll have to return the favor by buying some chips. :P

Have you guys considered selling getting into the "real world" market with this game? I'd definitely buy a good quality physical deck of these cards.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Seppo, you may want to change the thread title to let people know it's out now instead of "coming soon"—also, I saw you mention something on GAF about Word Ace Pro? Is there any difference, aside from price and the ability to buy more chips?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Seppo, you may want to change the thread title to let people know it's out now instead of "coming soon"—also, I saw you mention something on GAF about Word Ace Pro? Is there any difference, aside from price and the ability to buy more chips?

Done and done, re: title. Thanks!

re: WAP, the *only* differences are:
    * Ability to do in-app purchase - this is a requirement on Apple's part - you can't do in-app purchases on free games. :(
    * In-app purchases will include both additional chip packages, and the ability to donate to support the game in exchange for an icon by your name for 30 days that indicates you're a supporter
    * A shiny gold WA icon
    * A little gold "Pro" next to the WA logo

That's it. It'll cost $1, but in exchange for the hassle of downloading another app, we'll give you 12,000 chips for that dollar, instead of 10,000.

Word Ace Pro will be going live on 9/8. It's already approved, but we wanted to wait a couple days after launching WA, to make sure that all the kinks were ironed out before we accepted anyone's money.

Thanks!
    seppo

selfawaregames on
  • Options
    sobermoodesobermoode Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Let me just say that the concept is great, I do enjoy playing it, and I would upgrade to WAP for $1.

However -

1) Dependence on the mostly arbitrary official scrabble dictionary (or whatever, I was told its something called TWL) is annoying. I don't see why names like Tony or Heidi or places like China or Texas can't be considered valid words. Doesn't make any sense. I mean, woot got added to the dictionary, but even if it hadn't, enough people can verify that Dingo9774 didn't just make it up on the spot. So who cares. I got boned with "zen" going all in on a huge pot that I ended up losing on a technicality. Which brings me to my second point -

2) If you *have* to restrict the valid word set to some arbitrary dictionary, can the game at least verify your entry before the hand is concluded? If I want to use "zen" but its not going to accept it, can it just give me a raspberry when i press "use this word" and force me to enter something else? I went through four betting rounds thinking I was slow playing my opponent to the largest pot in history only to find out later I'd been throwing my money away the entire time.

sobermoode on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hey, Sobermoode - I actually responded to your Zen tweet on Twitter. :)

We chose the TWL because it's the most common competition word game dictionary by far. That or SOWPODS, which is essentially the TWL, which is the American Scrabble dictionary, and the British Scrabble dictionary.

We can't do names as valid words. There's just no way to reasonably distinguish between common names and uncommon names. Is it valid that "Fred" is a valid word, but my name, "Seppo" is not?

We need to create understandable, clear standards, and the easiest way to do that is to use the most common standard available. The core rules are simple - no proper nouns.

More information is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_Tournament_and_Club_Word_List

Regarding your suggestion about verifying entries prior to submission, that's a conscious decision we made. We don't want to have people able to verify their words, because a huge part of the strategy is spelling the *right* words. There are a LOT of times where I have a 5-letter word, and *might* be able to extend it to 6 letters, but I'm not 100% sure it's a word. That stress is part of the game that we want to keep. Losing is part of that, but we think the TWL provides a standard enough baseline that people can make those sorts of judgments.

Sorry you lost the hand, though!
    seppo

selfawaregames on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Have you guys considered selling getting into the "real world" market with this game? I'd definitely buy a good quality physical deck of these cards.

Yes. Yes we are. When we got all our legal protection for the game, we made sure it extended into the "real world" game space, so that we could print decks. We've got a *gorgeous* cardback design, and if you look at the cards closely, they're pretty snazzy looking. So we're planning on doing a print run of real decks, and seeing how that goes.

We'll post it to our blog when it happens, but it's probably a month or two out. :)

seppo

selfawaregames on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    InkSplat wrote: »

Yes. Yes we are. When we got all our legal protection for the game, we made sure it extended into the "real world" game space, so that we could print decks. We've got a *gorgeous* cardback design, and if you look at the cards closely, they're pretty snazzy looking. So we're planning on doing a print run of real decks, and seeing how that goes.

We'll post it to our blog when it happens, but it's probably a month or two out. :)

seppo

Awesome. I'll definitely be grabbing a deck or two when that happens, considering I'm currently planning on printing some out on those perforated playing card sheets you can buy. But I'd much rather have something of better quality than what could come out of my own printer. :P

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So wait, are names like Harry ok or not? I was just in a hand where somebody used Harry but didnt get the "fail" over it at the end. His score wasnt enough to win the hand anyway, so I dunno if it would have counted or not.

sobermoode on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    sobermoode wrote: »
    So wait, are names like Harry ok or not? I was just in a hand where somebody used Harry but didnt get the "fail" over it at the end. His score wasnt enough to win the hand anyway, so I dunno if it would have counted or not.

Harry is an actual verb, though—it means "to hassle or harass." :)

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Names are not okay in any situation. The confusion comes from the fact that some names are *also* words - maybe obscure words, but still words. But names in general are not valid.

Thanks!
    seppo

(yeah, what Lunker said!)

selfawaregames on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ah ok, thanks =)

I know english but I cannot speak it good.

sobermoode on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If anyone's going to PAX this weekend (I can't make it, unfortunately - we're expecting a child soon, and can't travel at this point) - we'll give a free copy of Word Ace Pro to whoever posts a pic of the most people at PAX playing Word Ace together. :) Just tweet a link @WordAce, and you'll be good to go!

seppo

selfawaregames on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Word Ace Pro went live this morning!

“What’s Word Ace Pro?” you might ask. You’ve been playing Word Ace, after all - what’s left out of Word Ace that shows up in Word Ace Pro? What do you get for that $1?

Here’s what you get:

* A shiny app icon (pictured above)
    * A little gold “Pro” by the Word Ace icon
    * 12,000 chips
    * In-app purchases are enabled

That’s it. Word Ace has *everything else* that Word Ace Pro has.

So, why Pro? The basic issue is that Apple only lets in-app purchases work for paid applications. So if you have a free app, you can’t have in-app purchase! So we need to charge something for Pro to enable in-app purchases.

For Word Ace, we’re releasing the entire game, free of charge, to everyone who wants to give it a shot. You can play as much as you want for a whopping $0. If you want your friends to try it, so you can play together, they can do so with absolutely no cost, and no risk. Play as much as you want.

If you want more chips, if you love the game, if you want to help us continue to make games like this, if you like the idea that you can set the price of a game… grab Word Ace Pro.

Coming soon, in addition to chip packages, we’ll have a link where you can just donate a couple bucks, and in exchange, we’ll give you an icon by your profile for 30 days that’ll show other players that you are helping support the game.

For our Pre users… there is no Word Ace Pro! Why? Because we can do everything we need to in the standard version of Word Ace. In a few days, you’ll have all the options (save the shiny gold icon) available to you in Word Ace! Just keep your eye on the “Chips & More” section!

Thanks!
    seppo

selfawaregames on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jesus christ Word Ace is the best game

the best game

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Anyone with an iPhone or Pre needs to check this out. You can also play online multi with friends, with Wii-styled Friend Codes—if anyone wants to play me, my FC is 57356!

So far all I've added is Senshi, and someone else sent me a request but I don't know if that was someone here or someone I randomly met online. :P The online functionality is pretty slick.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Senshi wrote: »
    Jesus christ Word Ace is the best game

the best game

Thanks! If you really like it, it'd really help us out if you could tell your friends

tell your friends

:)
    seppo

selfawaregames on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

So far all I've added is Senshi, and someone else sent me a request but I don't know if that was someone here or someone I randomly met online. :P The online functionality is pretty slick.
    I'm 7474, so everyone add me.

Man, I was playing against some girl yesterday (on the $4000 tables no less) who was killing. She was up to something like $32000. I was up to about $10000, and was able to pull out a 20-something point word. I was positive I could win, and so I went all in to draw some money out of her. She checks as I'd hoped, and we lock our words in. To my dismay, she wins with a 35-point word THIRTY-FIVE. I was not happy.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    just in case anyone's wanted to play Word Ace, but doesn't have an iPhone or Pre, Word Ace is now available on Facebook:

http://apps.facebook.com/wordace

If you have a Pre, you can even link the two platforms together (that's coming soon on the iPhone).

seppo

selfawaregames on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I think the really cool thing about this is that you can have people from Facebook, an iPhone, or a Pre all in the same game. I wish more games would do this.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch