As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need help cleaning something off my car...

Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I park in an underground parking lot, and rarely drive. There are some problems with the underground lot where water will drop through between the cement blocks in the ceiling, and when it was really wet out in the spring, there was usually alot of moisture in the air.

Anyways, I noticed some white-ish stains on the car, that almost look like bird droppings, but are much too large and very faded.

I took it to a wand/hand wash place and tried to clean it off of the car, but it wouldnt scrub off very easily (it had about the same consistency as the glue residue leftover after peeling off a sticker). I could manually scrape it off with my thumbnail, but short of that, I couldnt get it off at all.

Anyone know what it might be, and what the best products or methods would be to getting it off the car?

steam_sig.png
MWO: Adamski
Gnome-Interruptus on

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Try a non-abrasive dish soap, maybe? One that "cuts grease" like Dawn.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Goo-Gone, bitches!

Just be sure to wash the area throughly with car soap and water after you do it, because it you leave it on there it'll eat your paint.

Edit: Now With Link!

http://www.amazon.com/MAGIC-AMERICA-GG12-Goo-Gone/dp/B00006IBNJ

You can get it anywhere.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'll try that, I'm somewhat nervous about anything that might hurt the paint/finish.

I tried both the soap setting on the sprayer, as well as the soap foam brush, but its possible that neither of those were meant for cutting grease.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Don't worry, it's commonly used for this purpose.

Also, wax the spot afterwards as well. It'll take the wax off. Then again, so will dish soap.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement