As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Legal Trouble (Traffic Related)

2»

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »
    If you can't afford a lawyer, you can ask the court to appoint one for you, can't you?

Should be able to. You should definitely seek out a can't afford an attorney attorney. Contact the public defenders office for the area where the court is (the court should be able to point you in that direction).

I do believe that is only for criminal cases, not traffic or civil.
    Otherwise everyone would get a court appointed lawyer for their tickets.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is the evading charge a violation or a misdemeanor?

I assumed it's a misdemeanor; is it not?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    GirlPantsGirlPants Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Is the evading charge a violation or a misdemeanor?

I assumed it's a misdemeanor; is it not?

It's a misdemeanor. I can't sell the motorcycle or I would. I owe more on it than it's worth. It's currently my only transportation. I can't afford a car. Basically all I can say for myself is that my life and especially my financial life has been on a downward spiral for quite a while. I bought it when I was making a lot of money. I had a car too which I had to sell quickly because I got laid off.
    As it is the bike will be getting repoed in a month or two anyway unless I can find a decent paying job before then.

GirlPants on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you can't afford a lawyer, you can ask the court to appoint one for you, can't you?

Should be able to. You should definitely seek out a can't afford an attorney attorney. Contact the public defenders office for the area where the court is (the court should be able to point you in that direction).

a court appointed lawyer is generally provided any time there's a a chance for a loss of license, significant fines, and especially jail time

i had one for a reckless driving charge in highschool

illig on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Misdemeanor means it's a criminal case.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Misdemeanor means it's a criminal case.

Tomorrow I'm going to at least try and talk to some lawyers. I get my license on Thursday, so that will look good. I appreciate all the advice you guys are giving. It has helped a lot already. My big hope with this thing is that I can beat the fleeing charge or at least plead it down to something not as bad.

GirlPants on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How do you end up owing more on the bike than it's worth? Did you pay down 0 of the principal on it and wreck it? I can't even imagine you could take out much of a loan against the title.

IANAL ever, ever, but jesus, maybe you should get a lawyer for court and then file for bankruptcy or something. Or sell everything you own and buy a bicycle.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    How do you end up owing more on the bike than it's worth? Did you pay down 0 of the principal on it and wreck it? I can't even imagine you could take out much of a loan against the title.

IANAL ever, ever, but jesus, maybe you should get a lawyer for court and then file for bankruptcy or something. Or sell everything you own and buy a bicycle.

Woah, lay off him a bit, yeah he made some mistakes, which he's admitted to, obviously the guy is in a rough spot. It's entirely too easy to end up in a situation such as owing more than a vehicle's worth, the girl that answers the phones here is in the exact same situation with her car, so cut the guy some slack.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You pay off a loan in regular, equal monthly payments, but the depreciation is non-linear: its value drops very quickly over a short period immediately after purchase, then more slowly over a longer period as it gets older.

The moment you drive a new vehicle off the lot it's worth less than you owe on it. The same is true of a used vehicle, as now it has an additional owner.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    you should try being a drug mule to make enough money for a lawyer.

NargorothRiP on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You pay off a loan in regular, equal monthly payments, but the depreciation is non-linear: its value drops very quickly over a short period immediately after purchase, then more slowly over a longer period as it gets older.

The moment you drive a new vehicle off the lot it's worth less than you owe on it. The same is true of a used vehicle, as now it has an additional owner.

Ya I bought it brand new. I would have paid it off already if I hadn't of been laid off. Nothing I could do about it. Really all of this shit is related to me being laid off. I didn't have a license cause I couldn't spare the 225$ for the class. I can't afford insurance. I made a lot of bad decisions, the main one being to take a long trip in the first place, but I had just broken up with my gf and I needed to get out of town. I'm waiting for a call back from some Georgia lawyers, but I probably won't hear from them until tomorrow.

GirlPants on
  • Options
    NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Not to be a dick, but "I couldn't afford it so I just did it illegally" is not really the best defense.

If you couldn't afford to pay for the license class, you shouldn't have been driving the motorcycle. Period.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    GirlPants wrote: »

Ya I bought it brand new. I would have paid it off already if I hadn't of been laid off. Nothing I could do about it. Really all of this shit is related to me being laid off. I didn't have a license cause I couldn't spare the 225$ for the class. I can't afford insurance. I made a lot of bad decisions, the main one being to take a long trip in the first place, but I had just broken up with my gf and I needed to get out of town. I'm waiting for a call back from some Georgia lawyers, but I probably won't hear from them until tomorrow.

Rather than let it get repo'd try to sell it yourself. Even when they repo it if they auction it for less than you owe them, you'll still owe them. You'll probably get more money selling it yourself.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you've ever finance a vehicle, you owe more than it is worth the minute you drive it. Not only does the value depreciate immediately (and quickly continues), but your payments are a combination of principal and interest, meaning a loan of $20,000 doesn't decrease by $200 with a payment of $200.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    If you've ever finance a vehicle, you owe more than it is worth the minute you drive it. Not only does the value depreciate immediately (and quickly continues), but your payments are a combination of principal and interest, meaning a loan of $20,000 doesn't decrease by $200 with a payment of $200.

Hmm. I just wasn't thinking straight. I only ever finance used vehicles, and I always make sure to have a big enough down payment that I won't need to borrow much in the first place. I was lucky enough to be given my first car, which made the cycle much easier to start.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.