As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kansas City Move

VulnoXVulnoX Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi all!

I am likely going to be moving to Kansas City, MO, in about 2 weeks. I am currently in MI, and besides asking a friend who lived out there (who helped me get the job), I know nothing about the area. In Michigan we have Upper Class/Upper Middle areas (Novi, Northville, Livonia), Mid Class (Dearborn, Westland, etc) and Scary (Detroit, Taylor, anything west of Telegraph...).

I am trying to avoid the scary when moving to the new city, while keeping it in a reasonable price range. I would be working for AMC Theaters Home Office, which is at 920 Main Street, Kansas City, MO.

Anyone from around that area, or who have lived there, etc, have any good idea for areas to live in that are still within 30 minutes drive from AMC. Lived in any decent apartment complexes around there?

I have researched a TON of apartments, but without actually getting a feel for the area its tough to decide, and its not looking like I will have much time before I go to take a scouting trip.

Thanks!

VulnoX on

• quietguyinthebackquietguyintheback Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ok. First off, what is your price range? That will really help me figure out what to suggest. Also, city or suburbs?

Please don't say suburbs.

quietguyintheback on
  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've lived in the suburbs my entire life, but am not too familiar with the Missouri side. Are you dead set on living in Missouri? All da coo people live in Kansas and commute to Missouri.

RocketSauce on
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I moved to the KC area last summer. I'm on the Kansas side in Overland Park. If you work in downtown KCMO, you do not want to live way the hell down here. Plus, living in Kansas and working in Missouri sucks during tax season due to being nailed for state taxes in both states.

Maybe check out the River Market area. I have a friend who lives in a one bedroom loft and he seems to like it. The area is kind of shady, but it's mostly due to homeless crackheads rather than gang activity.

Westport is the urban/hipster place to live in the area. It's not far from downtown either.

The Crossroads district (just south of downtown) is the place to look for condos.

Brookside is also a great place to live. It's really close to the Plaza area and not too far away from downtown.

KCK isn't as bad as it used to be but it still has a ways to go.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE LIVE NEAR OR ON TROOST AVE.

We should organize a Kansas City PA meetup to welcome Vulnox to the area. Maybe hit up Charlie Hoopers for some beers one evening?

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
    edited August 2009
    You know, parts of Troost aren't too bad anymore. This coming from the kid that lives in downtown KCK. Hyde Park would be a good place to move in to. Chances are, though, that if he's transferring in to work at the AMC office, he can afford a pretty kick ass pad. Maybe a loft in the financial district. Library lofts, maybe.

quietguyintheback on
    edited August 2009
    Troost north of Volker Ave is one of the highest crime areas in the city. South of Volker isn't much better, at least in my opinion.

He would definitely find cheap housing in those areas, though.

But yeah, he should be looking in Westport, Brookside, or the Crossroads district for a kickass pad.

Evil_Reaver on
    edited August 2009
    Oh, I was also going to ask what kind of hobbies the OP is in to. The Kansas City area is pretty huge and while it supports lots of activities, sometimes it can be hard to find exactly what you're looking for. I'm sure those of us that already live here can give good tips/hook ups on the goings on around here.

Evil_Reaver on
  • V1cV1perV1cV1per Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, someone mentioned the hyde park area. I'd definitely look into those, there is a company buying up all the old buildings, remodeling them, and then renting them out at pretty affordable rates. You might check the westport area as well, if you're looking for a younger crowd and lots to do.

V1cV1per on
    "Get me Fred Dryer on the phone!"
    "You mean.....the guy that played Hunter?"
    ".......He played Hunter?!?! How does everyone know this!?!"
  • VulnoXVulnoX Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hi all, Thanks for all the suggestions, glad to see there are some people in the area.

My price range (which I can't believe I forgot) is the 400-700 before utilities range. It may be more depending on what they offer me (I have the offer and all that, but they aren't getting me a salary until tomorrow or Friday).

I don't mind living in KS and coming in to MO, taxes may suck, but if myself and my fiance are happier there then I can make it work.

Big thing is that I need access to good high speed internet (work is paying for it, which is cool, but it HAS to be there). I would like to be near-ish to the new AMC theater there, and anything close to some cool restaurants would be nice.

We like to play Pool, Bowling, and we usually go to the gym, but I doubt those are hard to find and the apartment probably has one.

One thing that would be cool is to be near someplace with some bike trails, or similar. Doesn't have to be offroad trails, just whatever I can go for a ride on safely. In MI, they are very unfriendly towards bicycles.

Just an Apartment or Loft for now, need to get my Fiance a job down there too before I start making any major housing plans.

For those of you suggesting some of these areas, or who are maybe already in Apartments in some, what are your average electric/gas/water bills, depending on what they make you pay?

Thank you all again!

VulnoX on
    edited August 2009
    HSI is going to be Time Warner or Comcast depending on your neighborhood. Time Warner's Kansas City presence is hit and miss; sometimes their service is awesome and sometimes you want to burn down their buildings it's so bad. Lots of people use Dish around here because Time Warner is so bad.

The new AMC 6 theatre in downtown is awesome. All digital, subs in the seats, bar in the lobby... it's super rad. My wife and I saw Harry Potter 6 at the midnight showing and it was one of the better movie going experiences I have had.

There's a Lucky Strike in downtown and Google Maps shows some others nearby as well.

I'm not too sure about the bike trails. There's a rather large one in Overland Park around Indian Valley Park, but you'll have to pack up the bikes and drive down there if you're living near downtown.

I live in a 1200 square foot, two bedroom apartment with central air and heat. I think my electric bill for July was $113 and water/waste was $25. July and August are the hardest billed months for electric and December-February are the easiest if you can keep the thermostat down.

Oh, central AC and heat are a must in Kansas City. It is humid as fuck in the summer and cold as shit during the winter in the midwest and you will be a sad panda if you have window units.

Evil_Reaver on
    edited August 2009
    If you don't mind me asking, do you like where you are at? The apartment complex/neighborhood, etc. Would you recommend it?

VulnoX on
    edited August 2009
    For the most part, I really like where I live. The neighborhood is nice and my complex is gated, so that's an added bonus. We pay $1030 for a 1200 sq ft, 2 bed, 2 bath apartment. Our unit has a washer and dryer so we don't have to go to the laundromat. We also get a covered parking space which my wife uses. Compared to our apartment in Los Angeles, this place is ginormous.

The commercial stuff (groceries, gas, restaurants) is relatively close, ranging from 3-10 minutes away by car. It's definitely suburbia, though, so you have to leave the edition/neighborhood before you get anywhere. We're located at the northern end of Overland Park which isn't extremely far from downtown, but you'll definitely spend 25-30 minutes driving to and from work since you'll be going with the flow of traffic rather than against it both ways.

We haven't had any problems with the neighborhood, people, or the complex. As it stands right now, even though we want to buy a house, we're cool staying where we are since it's such a nice place.

I'm going to PM you the name of my complex and where it is so you can check it out.

Evil_Reaver on
    edited August 2009
    Got it, thank you very much, will have to check it out.

The commute, while important, isn't live or die for me. I will be doing IT for them, and you only work 4 days a week, and some of those days will be work from home. So I can deal with an extended commute some days if it means happiness with the home.

Thank you all again, and if anyone has anything more to add, other known complexes to check out, I am all for hearing about it! (Even some to stay away from is nice too :) )

VulnoX on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    With your price range, VulnoX, I recommend Midtown (roughly, the area of KCMO between Westport and Downtown, and west of Hyde Park - basically between about 30th and 43rd north to south, and Troost and State Line east to west)). There are a lot of apartments and duplexes to rent, and it is a very diverse but relatively safe area with a lot of UMKC and Art Institute students as well as young couples buying their first homes.

If you like to eat and drink, and if you're into culture, that's where all the action is. You'll be within a 15-minute drive of downtown and have some of the best restaurants, bars, theaters, and stores in the city practically at your doorstep. Another thing is that a car is not as much of a burning necessity there as in the rest of the city (seriously, the greater KC area is up there with LA in terms of being fucked if you don't have transportation...we're just really spread out).

The one disadvantage to living in KC proper rather than the suburbs is for people like us - specifically, nerds. All the big box stores like Best Buy, as well as several other kinds of places, such as card/game/hobby stores, are only located in the suburbs, in a giant donut ring around the city. (Thankfully, they at least have a Home Depot within the city limits now - although KC had to actually pay the dickweeds to put it there, as they apparently thought people in the city don't need lumber and tools. :x ) This leads to a situation where, for instance, I find myself constantly being asked by my friends to pick them up and give them rides out to Johnson County or North Kansas City because they need something they can't get nearby. On the other hand, living out here in Prairie Village, I still find myself heading into town fairly often to see shows, eat at restaurants that aren't Chili's, etc. So I guess it comes out a bit of a wash.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2009
    What he said.

If you center your search around 39th and Roanoke, you'll find a bunch of great places for cheap. I'll warn you, they'll be old, but they've got character. They probably won't have central air, but it easy enough to keep them cool with window units and fans.

quietguyintheback on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    On a sidenote, it blows my mind that there are this many PAers in the KC area and we really ought to do a meetup stat.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2009
    No kidding, dude; I had no idea there were this many of us. We really should organize a meetup when Vulnox gets in to town.

Evil_Reaver on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd totally be down for a meet up in the KC area. I feel isolated way up here in the northern reaches of the Metro (Liberty).

And Vulnox, I'd third the recommendation for Midtown.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just beware that Kansas City shuffle...

:P

GiantRobo on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I, too, moved from Michigan to Kansas (Lawrence) last year.

That is my contribution to this thread.

Burtletoy on
  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    VulnoX, if you need to come down for a weekend and scout out some places to live, I'm sure all us KC PAers could show you around town to all the good spots.

RocketSauce on
    edited August 2009
    Thanks everyone again. I got the offer today, it was a bit less than I was hoping, but they have overtime and all that which is hard to calculate in. So now I am focusing on finding a place for around $600 a month, plus utilities. I am currently heavily considering Coventry Oaks in Overland Park.
    http://kansascity.apartmentfinder.com/Overland-Park-Apartments/Coventry-Oaks-Apartment-Homes-Apartments

Not a huge apartment, but good ratings and nice people.

Anyone have any suggestions for good cities I can base my search around?
    jacobkosh suggested Midtown, but I don't know how to really search for the areas he suggested on sites like Apartment Ratings and Rent.com.

So if anyone can suggest other good "towns" near the downtom KC area that are nice, safe, etc, that would be great. Overland Park seems perfect, but a shorter drive wouldnt upset me.

VulnoX on
    edited August 2009
    I haven't been down to that particular complex, but 105th is pretty far away from downtown. I know you said you don't care about the drive since you won't be doing it every day, but there are townships closer to downtown that are still safe.

I have a friend who lives in Madison at Wood View apartments in Mission, KS (Link). She lives in a one bedroom unit and pays $680 a month. She says that she loves the apartment and the area is really nice and it's also super easy to get to downtown. She's been there for 3 1/2 years.

Gables of Mission apartments seem to have good ratings. It's in Mission, KS as well (Link).

Evil_Reaver on
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for the reply, I really like that Madison at Wood View and will be checking that out for sure, I called and the price they are asking is really low.

VulnoX on
  • maggiemcnuggetsmaggiemcnuggets Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I live about ten minutes from where you work, if you need any help email me at amylukima at gmail dot com.
    VulnoX wrote: »
    Hi all!

I am likely going to be moving to Kansas City, MO, in about 2 weeks. I am currently in MI, and besides asking a friend who lived out there (who helped me get the job), I know nothing about the area. In Michigan we have Upper Class/Upper Middle areas (Novi, Northville, Livonia), Mid Class (Dearborn, Westland, etc) and Scary (Detroit, Taylor, anything west of Telegraph...).

I am trying to avoid the scary when moving to the new city, while keeping it in a reasonable price range. I would be working for AMC Theaters Home Office, which is at 920 Main Street, Kansas City, MO.

Anyone from around that area, or who have lived there, etc, have any good idea for areas to live in that are still within 30 minutes drive from AMC. Lived in any decent apartment complexes around there?

I have researched a TON of apartments, but without actually getting a feel for the area its tough to decide, and its not looking like I will have much time before I go to take a scouting trip.

Thanks!

maggiemcnuggets on
  • BluefootBluefoot Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm not living in KC right now, but I grew up in Prairie Village (smaller 'burb north of Overland Park, south of Mission). That's a very nice area. It used to take me about 15-20 minutes to get from my house near 75th and Roe to my job near the Plaza, and that's only about half-way to where your job is. I think if you went for the place at 105th that would make for a pretty brutal commute, but Mission is just about as nice and is a lot closer.

I do have several family members who live in the area just south of Brookside, and it seems like a pretty nice neighborhood that would be quite a bit closer to your job. It seems pretty safe, though you are starting to get into the city so it's probably not as absurdly crime-free as Mission/Prairie Village/Overland Park. No idea what the apartment situation is like there though. I also had a few friends with apartments right on the Plaza, which is probably starting to get a little sketchy, at least at night, though I don't think it's too bad.

So uh... anyway I think you're on the right track with the place in Mission. Also this thread is officially making me sad. I want to move back home. :cry:

Bluefoot on
    edited August 2009
    We have an official meet up thread, folks.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=97646

Let's do this.

Evil_Reaver on
  • King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Once you get moved and settled in do yourself a favor and eat at Arthur Bryant's. This isn't a suggestion it's an order.

King Kong on